Chapter 8

Bittersweet Change: Escape

There she is, the newbie wolf. Sadly, I have to admit. The girl is beautiful. Her skin was perfectly milky, her legs were slender, and her blonde hair fell to her waist just right. No wonder Kris has been pre-occupied with her. Wait a minute, no, don’t think like that Mi-Hyun! Kris loves you. He wouldn’t think of leaving you for her. Right?

 

“You guys are going hunting, can I come?” Makoto held her palms together as if she was wanting for us to beg her to come. I didn’t want her to come because I really wanted this to be more of a family thing, but

 

“Of course! You still have some training to get done! It wouldn’t be the same without you!” Kris was waving for her to come over and I looked at Kris with a “seriously?” expression. Umm hello to earth Kris, it would be more than perfect without her tagging along. I changed my discontent and looked to see Makoto running over to Kris, almost like she was about to leap into his arms. By instinct, I stepped in front of Kris so I could block her away from him.

 

Makoto immediately paused in front of me and was surprised at my sudden action. She smiled at me and exclaimed, “Oh my goodness, you must be Mi-Hyun!”

 

She held out her hand. Even though I wanted to decline the shake, I had no choice but to return the proper greeting.

 

“It’s so nice to finally meet you! Kris talks about you all the time when we hang out together.”

 

I chuckled a fake laugh, “As well he should be.” Makoto and I giggled even though I was really growling to her in the back of my mind. I finally stopped the fake façade and announced, “Alright, let’s stop burning day-light. It’s time to hunt!”

 

Everyone cheered as we raced out into the woods. We all transformed into our wolf forms and dived into the depth of the forest, ready to catch any prey we find.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I was stalking the grounds, Kai trudged over to me and started smirking.

 

“What’s with the look on your face?”

 

“I can tell you’re not so happy with the new girl, your mind is screaming for her to get the hell out of here. It's pretty funny actually.”

 

I tried to brush it off like nothing, “It’s whatever Kai. I know that this Makoto girl won’t come in between Kris and I. Kris and I are mates, and we love each other too much to let some new wolf girl ruin anything.”

 

I held my head high in attitude as I proudly walked away and went looking for Kris. I made sure the kids were safe as they played around the auburn trees while messing with their uncles. I could tell Dai would be a fighter because the way he bounced off Lay and sent him tripping into some bushes, I had to hold in my laughter. Lay got off the ground with thorns and leaves sticking in his fur.

 

I continued my search until I heard some giggling and started walking to the source. I kept myself behind the tree when I noticed Kris was doing more playing with Makoto than the supposed “training”.

 

Makoto and Kris were playing around, jumping from tree to tree. Out of nowhere, Makoto ran into Kris and pushed him to the ground. They started laughing, but I wasn’t too fond of seeing some random woman on top of my husband. Kris then switched positions and was smiling wide at Makoto. He held on to her shoulders as Makoto had her hands on Kris’s chest.

 

I felt myself fuming, steam literally bursting out of my ears. Without thinking, I abruptly tackled Kris, sending him off of Makoto and having both of us rolling on the ground. I lifted myself up and grinned at Kris. However, Kris surprised me by transforming back into human form, looking really annoyed.

 

He dusted the dirt off of himself, “What the hell, Mi-Hyun?! Why did you do that?!”

 

I reverted back to my normal form and creased my forehead, “What’s your problem?!”

 

“You didn’t have to attack me like that, we’re just out here having fun!”

 

I put my hands on my hips and tried to control my anger, “I was just messing around Kris, why are getting pissed off?! If anything, I thought you were supposed to be "training" her. Besides, you always go on rants on how we need to be alert when we’re all out here like this! Maybe that’s the reason you didn’t notice when we had intruders in these woods!”

 

Soon as I said that, Kris walked to me, inches in front of my face as he wagged his finger in my face like I was some little elementary schooler, “You have no right to say that about Makoto! She didn’t choose to get bitten, but we have a responsibility to her!”

 

I turned my attention to Makoto who was just awkwardly standing there, hands in her pocket as she was kicking the dirt lightly. I also noticed that EXO were peeking their heads out of the trees as were our kids. I could see the concern in the kids’ eyes as they were looking at the way Kris’s pissed off look was glaring down at me. I didn’t want Dai and Hana to see Kris and I fighting like this.

 

I immediately changed my expression and had to up my pride even though I know I wasn’t wrong for what I said.  “I’m probably just getting used to being back home, so maybe I’m a little on edge. I’ll head back to the house and get dinner started, you all just have fun for a little more longer.”

 

I walked away without looking back at Kris. I felt Xiumin’s hand grab my wrist as he stared at me with his big puppy eyes, he pleaded, “Please stay Mi-Hyun. It’s not that fun without you here.” D.O. approached me as well, “Xiumin’s right, we need you. Besides, I can help with the cooking.” D.O. gave me his small smile, hoping that I’d change my mind. As much as I love when D.O. helps with the cooking, I assured him it was fine and went along my way.

 

Soon as I got home, I walked into the kitchen and prepped everything for a huge meal. As I was cutting the vegetables, I was immediately feeling my tears wet the knife I was gripping. I didn’t have to cut onions for my tears to be falling like this. Here I am, in this loud silence, and it feels like before, alone, with no one around to comfort me. Even though I have my EXO family and my kids, Kris is still an important aspect of that family. I want him with me and nobody else. It just feels like he’s been slipping from me ever since Makoto arrived.

 

I don’t understand, what’s so damn special about her?! Why is Kris so attached to her?! The way he was messing around with her and playing……. that's the way he is to me. The thought and scene burned into my brain, nothing else being able to distract me. I was getting a heavy migraine, almost feeling like my head was being beaten.

 

I tired to continue to get the rest of dinner started when I felt a hand on my lower back. I spun around in shock and faced Kris. With an indifferent expression, he asked, “You need help?”

 

I looked away and went on with my cooking. “I’m fine, why don’t you go back hunting?”

 

Ignoring me, Kris grabbed the meat and started to cut it up. As much as I should be happy that Kris is here with me now, it felt like pity more than him wanting to be here. “I came to help since you made that big scene in the woods. Thought this might help with your y attitude.”

 

My head shot up as I stared wide-eyed at Kris’s remark. He never speaks to me like that!

 

“You know what Kris?! I have every right to be y! I finally come back after being forced to leave the confines of my home, only to find out my husband has been so busy with some chick, he doesn’t even have the time to call his own wife, most importantly his own kids!”

 

Kris slammed the knife down, “That chick’s name is Makoto, and she really needs someone right now! If anything, you should understand how she feels! She’s alone, just like you were before!”

 

My face went blank from how I stunned those words broke into me. In a way, it kind of is like my old situation. You come into another country, basically alone. Then, you get bit by a wolf and end up becoming part of a new pack. Makoto was just like me.

 

I was about to apologize when I came upon a realization, “I get it, we have a similar scenario. However, Makoto is not part of our pack. She was bitten by someone else. If I were you, I would spend more time trying to find out who bit her instead of having your supposed fun like you were out there.”

 

Kris glowered at me, turning around and heading to the door. I shook my head in disbelief, how could he just walk away when it was something he had to do? Before I could even think of asking him to stay so we could talk, I heard him murmur, “I’d rather have Makoto here than you at the moment.”

 

The door slammed behind me at the same time my heart shattered. I grabbed the knife next to me and actually threw it at the front door. I fell to the floor and curled up into a ball. What the hell is happening to us?!