Sunsets

One Last Note

       As far as sunsets go, this one was pretty ordinary. The vibrant pinks had splashes of dark purple hues. With Reds merging into orange, the light blue of day was turning into the navy of night. It was considered pretty to those that glanced as they went about their business.   The sun itself was a ball of reddish orange light center stage to the twilight sky. So bright that it hurt to look at, but always within sight, sharing its warm glow with everyone. 

        “It reminds me of you.” Seung Hyun spoke out loud turning to Ji Young, only to meet a look of confusion. “The sun,” answering the question before it was spoken.

       The day had been fairly hot, but now as the sun was setting a cool breeze began to stir, sweeping past Seung Hyun causing him to shiver. The sleeveless shirt and shorts offering little protection had him wishing for a sweater and a warm drink. Ji Young’s clothes -a little better considering that he was wearing pants- protected him from showing any signs of a chill. Turning back to the city below, a comfortable silence fell between them.  The building that their apartment was in had a fair height to it, so as they sat on the rooftop ledge, the goings-on of Seoul’s citizens could be seen.

        Some were leaving for work, others just arriving home. Those old enough were heading out for a night of drinking games and dancing. In the buildings around them lights were being switched on as the daylight dwindled into an insufficient source of light.

        A little ways down the street Seung Hyun saw a group of high school students exit a popular hagwon, egger to return home for the comforting family dinner. Watching them brought on a wave of nostalgia and Sung Hung began to reminisce about their own high school days…