The Present

Inseparable

Sunny’s POV

College days are over and finally we graduated on our respective college major. Here we are, looking into each other’s eyes with a smile and triumph that we achieve on this memorable day. But sadly, it will come to an end.

“Keep in touch my friend” I said. The smile vanished instantly in your eyes. You held my hand. “We still see each other on our friend’s gathering, right?” you asked me and suddenly, you pulled me into a hug. I could feel your warm body that makes me calm for a while. “ I will miss you” I heard you whisper in my left ear.

“I will miss you too..don’t worry, everything will be ok. We will see each other ok? We’re inseparable right?” I whisper back and hug him back. And I never thought this will be the last time I’ll see and feel him.

Years passed but we haven’t see each other. Text message and mails are enough to communicate with him until our family hit the toughest problem in our life. I lost my communications with him.

Now after our problems done, we see each other. Finally. And I will never forget this meeting with him.

Sungmin’s POV

The graduation is over but I still held her hand as if this will be the last time I will see her.  I hugged her and feel the warmth of her body. We promise that we will see each other as often as we can. I am confident we are going to the same path in our career but suddenly, she changed her path. What was that?! I felt betrayed.

Years passed but we haven’t see each other. Seldom I receive her text message and mails the last thing that I knew, their family is facing the toughest problem in their lives. Now I’m worried to her, I want to find her, contact her, comfort her, be by her side until their problem ends.

Now after the problems are done, finally, we seen each other. I will never forget the conversation we had. I did the boldest thing in my life.

 

Author’s POV

They left the party and went to a balcony facing the lake illuminating the clear sky with sky lanterns.

“Sungmin-ah?” Sunny said as he noticed he’s been quiet for a long time.

Sungmin heaved a sighed and face Sunny with a sweet smile. Sunny felt relieved when she see his sweet smile she missed most. Sungmin grabbed his hand and guided her to an empty table.

“Let’s sit here and take a break.” Sungmin said.

They take a seat facing each other and watched as many sky lanterns are still floating in the lake. They take their time to be mesmerize by the scene.

“ How are you my friend? Did you miss me?

“Quite ok. But I missed you my friend!” Sunny said in her most cheerful way she can muster.

Sungmin asked “ Years passed and my best friend is still single. How come my beautiful and smart friend is still single?”

“Hey, I got my reasons.” Sunny said and become gloomy. “We experienced the toughest problem in our life, and we are still recovering on it. And also, I’m struggling in my career” she said. She asked back her best friend’s question. “As for my sweet best friend, how come you’re still single?”

He ignored her question. “Problems are excusable, but career shifting? We finished a same degree and even plan to have the same path to reach our dream. “ He sounds angry and disappointed.

She was silenced on his statement. She deliberately shifted her career path just to avoid him. For her feeling for him blooms as time passes by. She is not ready for this feeling..until now.

“Are you, by any chance, avoiding me?” he continued.

Sunny remains her silence and bows her head a little. On this state of his best friend, he will not push her to explain everything. He decided to say his feelings for her. It’s now or never.

“I know you’re avoiding me. I can feel it, and I know why.” He took a deep breath before he said these words to her. It was a bluff.

Sunny raised her head and meet Sungmin’s clear brown eyes. “What do you mean?” She asked.

Sungmin heaved a deep breath and gather her hands in his. “ I know because we are the same, inseparable right? So does our feelings….I had this feeling since I see you in our first class to come and care for you, protect you, be at your side as often as I can..and finally, to love you.” There he said it. Sungmin looked straight on to her eyes while saying his feelings for her. “ I love you, Sunny.”

Sunny was indeed shocked. He can see in Sungmin’s eyes full of love and admiration. And it was not enough, Sungmin tells her:

“Will you allow me to take good care of your heart? Will you allow me to love you?” There he said it. Sunny is still in shock. He finally confessed to him.

As Sunny still speechless, Sungmin cupped her face into his hands and looked straight into his clear eyes. “Listen to me. Don’t leave me again. I’m willing to wait for you to love me. Just please allow me to love you.” Sungmin added. His eyes forms tears in his eyes, like he is pleading to her to love him in return.

Sunny was in tears. Finally, she thought, we feel the same and confess to me. She sniffed and spoke “We are inseparable, right? I believe on it and still holding on it. And I have this strong feeling to care for you, protect you and be at your side. I am willing to love you until the end. I love you too, Sungmin.” There, she finally confessed to him.

With the fireworks started to decorate the sky with its dazzling lights and loud bangs, Sungmin and Sunny shared their first kiss and keep a promise to love each other until the end of their lives.