Chapter 3

A year in Mokpo


    A week had already passed since the male woke up and none of his memory had yet to return.  For hours he would sit in silence staring out a window at the vast ocean, never saying much. She didn’t question him anymore, she could never understand the pain that he was feeling, the loss of everything that he was. She did however, ask him what he had wanted to do the night he woke up, after he finally calmed down. She would have taken him wherever he wanted to go, Hospital, Police office, any place that he could remember. The male just shook his head, causing his blonde bangs to cover his eyes. He had chosen to stay with her, so much trust was in those eyes when he looked at her.

She told him that evening that in the morning she would have to go to the office in town. It would take her at least twelve hours, with doing all the reports and dealing with meetings, and she wasn’t too comfortable with leaving him home alone, though the male had no problem taking care of everyday tasks, she still worried about his stability. He wasn’t yet ready to go to town or deal with groups of people. In the morning she was hesitant to go, the male reassured her that he would fine alone, giving her a small smile. She sighed and smiled slightly in return as she gave in. She has seen that small forced smile all but twice before, it brought her pain every time she had to witness it. She wondered how long it would be till he could really smile from the heart, without all the pain attached.

“I will try to hurry back.” She said as she climbed into the company car she was loaned. He waved as she pulled out of the drive, she watched him in the rearview mirror till she passed around the bend. “Hurry back noona” He whispered as he watched the car pass out of view.

She had left all the numbers he would need if anything had happened but she still felt uneasy. She just finished up her last international business meeting of the day and was going to call the house to see how he was doing. She still had some more paperwork to deal with and would still be several hours before she could leave. She stopped at the main lobby to hand some papers over to the woman at the desk when she overheard two other young women, close to her age, talking about the report on the TV about the Kpop group that was still missing. She turned her attention to the tv they were focused on “Still no news about what caused the planes engine to fail, the search still continues for the six young singers, the polite and the two TS Entertainment staff.”  No bodies had yet to been found, nor the plane itself. A video of the boys group flashed on the screen, the last footage they have of the boys as they were leaving their last performance, she  never did get a good look at the boys faces.


She was in the middle of tying up her report and the dealings with the transactions from the meeting when she lost track of everything she was doing. All she could think of was the boy back home. She grunted in frustration as she slammed her hands down on the desk numerous times. Why was she thinking of him? She was so use to being alone. She was a loner and now this boy managed to change everything in a week. She sighed heavily as she tried to pull her thoughts back into her work. As soon as he remembers, he will leave. You are his nurse. She repeated the same thought over and over again. To the point that she was starting to believe it.

It was late, well after midnight by the time she made it home. The house was quite. Too quite. She had stopped and picked up something for him to eat, not sure if he would have cooked on his own. Usually she cooked and he helped a little, he still fumbled as if he was leaning it for the first time.  “Dongsaeng?” She called, waiting a few seconds for a reply before she called again, a little louder. Not knowing his name, it was all she thought to call him and the male didn’t seem to mind, though he didn’t seem to mind much of all really.  She sat the bag on the table. Maybe he remembers and left? she thought.

She walked down the hall to the bedrooms, passing the one she gave to the male, the door was closed.  She put her hand on the knob, turning it slowly before she released it and turned away, walking into her room.  She had just finished pealing out of the work clothes when she heard a loud scream coming from the room next door. She dropped the clothing in her hands as she ran into the males room, he was in the bed, screaming, his eyes closed, his body drenched in sweat. His hands dug at the sheets, gripping and pulling, his knuckles white from gripping the fibers tightly. He was screaming and trashing around as if being tormented by a nightmare. She gripped his upper arms as she yelled for him over and over again, not sure if her voice would ever reach him.

His eyes flashed opened as they met with hers briefly as he bolted straight up, wrapping his strong arms around her, hugging her form tightly to his. His hand rested on the back of her head, running his fingers through her hair. She was unsure of what to do as she slowly wrapped her arms around his neck as she whispered into his ear. “Your safe. Its okay.” He loosed his grip on her frame as he rested his forehead on her shoulder. She had never seen anyone other than a young child act that way over a nightmare. A few moments of silence passed before he pulled away from her completely, she didn’t say anything, just watched him. He hung his head as he began to speak softly, so softly she had to strain to hear what he was saying.  

“I was on a small plane, laughing talking and joking around with others. I couldn’t see their faces or hear their voices except for laughing. Then the pilot started saying something, something we didn’t understand. There was panic. Flashing, yelling, roaring. It all happened so fast. Then we hit the water.” He sat there in silence as she moved closer next to him, waiting for him to continue. Was it a memory….. or a nightmare? He raised his head as he looked at her with wet eyes, sad pained wet eyes.  

“It felt so…real…I cant tell if it was just a nightmare or part of my memory. So much of it doesn’t make any sense.”