The Wounded Past

Grandchildren For Hire
"You have got to be kidding me." Jimin couldn't believe what he was reading.  The most ridiculous terms Jimin has ever seen were written on the contract. "I have a ing curfew?!"
 
"You'll understand why when you start living with us." Daekyung explained.
 
"And I am not allowed to go anywhere without anyone following me?!" Jimin's eyebrows furrowed. "Look, I'm going to act as your cousin --- or whatever relationship the two of us should have but this contract makes me feel like I'm a ing prisoner!" Jimin returned the papers to Daekyung.
 
"Wait. This is all necessary." She said. "I'll explain everything when we start with the contract. There'll be a one-week training period before you formally live with us."
 
"Hey, hey. You're making it sound like I'm the one applying for the job. Remember, it's you who wants me to be part of your family, not me."
 
"I... I'm sorry. I... didn't mean to sound like that." She sighed. :But, really, everything written on that contract is nothing but necessary."
 
"Look, six months is too long. The longest contract I've signed lasted for three months." Jimin continued enumerating reasons for Daekyung to back out.
 
"I told you, I can triple the offer." She sighed. She thought this deal would be easy.
 
"And I thought I told you that I'm not doing this for the money." Jimin raised an eyebrow. "You can offer this contract to Jeon Wonwoo. He's a year younger but it's not that noticeable. He's pretty free... he may want your offer."
 
"Please, Jimin-sshi. You look a lot like my uncle. I really need you to be my cousin." Daekyung pleaded again.
 
"Okay, I'll give you a month. After the first month, I want my contract changes."
 
"Deal." Daekyung quickly nodded.
 
 
Jimin went home with a puzzled mind. This new contract that he signed surely is different. He was still skeptical about the whole set up but he can't do anything about it anymore. He had already signed the papers. He cannot break the contract rules unlesss he wants to pay half a million won to the family.
 
"But she looks decent, though." Jimin shrugged. "And looks can be deceiving. You should know that yourself." Jimin reached for the television remote. "Stop over thinking. Just think of this as an opportunity to improve yourself." He the television and browsed aimlessly past the channels. "God, there's nothing good to watch either."
 
"If I didn't know you, I'd think that you're a crazy kid who's arguing with the TV." Jin's voice said from the front door.
 
Jimin turned around to look at the other who was leaning on the door frame. "Maybe I should change my code." He glared. "You don't even knock anymore."
 
"I've been knocking. You just didn't hear because you've been busy debating with the television set." Jin removed his shoes and headed to the kitchen.
 
"There's pizza in the microwave." Jimin shouted from the couch. "Please bring me a slice too."
 
"God, Park Jimin. You only eat pizza and drink juice. You call that healthy?" Jin nagged as he handed the younger boy his food.
 
"I don;t live here for most of my days so I don't eat here." Jimin shrugged.
 
"That doesn't change the fact that you shouldn't be eating healthy food." The elder sat beside Jimin.
 
"You still brought me a slice, right? So stop nagging me and just eat while I'm still here."
 
"So it's true, huh? You finally gave in to Kira's wishes." Jin chuckled.
 
"You know how my rule goes... Never go against an elder's wish."
 
"Yah. If Kira hears that---"
 
"Don't worry. He won't lash out on me. He can't  He loves me that much."
 
"I see you've been spoiled."
 
"No, I wasn't. I earned it."
 
"Oh, no, Park Jimin. Ever since you entered the office, everyone knew you were going to be the favorite son."
 
"Are you jealous?" Jimin raised his eyebrow at the elder.
 
"What? Why would I be jealous?"
 
"Because I'm a better son."
 
"Yah." Jin knocked on the other's head. "You have got to be kidding me. I don't need to be the better son to be loved."
 
"Really, now?"
 
"Yeah, you might be the better son but I'm the best grandchild."
 
"That makes us equals, then." Jimin nodded.
 
"So, how was the new contract?"
 
"It's overboard! I'm not allowed to move around without a bodyguard." Jimin ranted. "And I have a freaking curfew. Can you believe that?! Plus, I have this one-week training period. I tell you that girl must be sick in the head. Her terms are literally impractical!"
 
"I'll take that as your contract is a crappy one."
 
"It's beyond that. It's really unreasonable!" Jimin shook his head.
 
"I think you'll get the hang of it after a month."
 
"You know how I managed to be the best grandson?" Jin smiled as Jimin looked at the older boy. "I feel like I'm a real part of the family." Jin pat Jimin's head. "So if I were you, I'd just stick with what the contract says and live a family life while it still lasts."
 
"You know I have issues." Jimin shook his head.
 
"Who told you that's a problem?"
 
"I don't want to get attached..."
 
"You don't have to be attached, Jimin. But you don't have to hold back either."
 
"How do you do that, then?"
 
"Just live it. Let your life roll..."
 
"Like use-the-opportunity thing?"
 
"Well, yeah... sort of..."
 
"No. I won't do that."
 
"Why not? Opportunity only knocks once."
 
"That's taking advantage of people..."
 
"No, it's not. They gave you that opportunity. Why sweat it?" Jin shrugged.
 
"Fine, fine. I'll see what I can do." Jimin shrugged and continued eating in silence, what Jin had told him was lingering in his mind.
 
 
The next day came by and it was the start of Jimin's one-week training period. He didn't want to go through eith it but he didn't have much of a choice. It was written on his contract and unless he wanted to pay for the fines, he had no choice but to abide by the rules that his client had written on their agreement.
 
He arrived at the park five minutes earlier than their meeting time. He might be a douchebag at times but he makes sure that he is always on schedule.
 
"You're early." A voice said from behind him. Jimin turned around and saw Daekyung holding a large travelling bag.
 
"Did you run away from home?" Jimin raised an eyebrow. Daekyung tilted her head to the side, thinking why would the young man ask her such a question. Getting the message, Jimin pointed at the bag she was holding.
 
"Ah, this..." She dragged the bag as she walked towards Jimin. "There are the stuff we'll need for your 1-week training."
 
"You bought the things we'll need for the week today?!" Jimin's mouth was agape.
 
"Nope. This is just for today." She sat on a nearby bench.
 
"You have got to be kidding me." He murmured. What could be in that bag? They'll be spending just around two hours with each other. How could the things in that bag be of use in just two hours?
 
"We don't have much time. Let's start now." Daekyung said monotonously.
 
"Right." Jimin heaved a sigh and sat beside her.
 
"First things first, your real name is Sichul." She said as she pulled out a photo album where the said name was printed in gold on the front cover. "Your dad, my uncle, is a very good person." She opened the album and showed him the first page. There was a happy couple holding a baby in their arms. Jimin assumed that these were Sichul's parents. "That's uncle and his wife." She pointed at the two. "They are both musicians and loves music as much as they love each other." She turned the page adn it was filled with photos of a baby boy, sleeping in a grand crib. "That's Sichul. He is the family's first gem. He was so important that even if uncle was disowned, grandma had took Sichul in her care." Daekyung continued ti retell the story of her cousin that she never met.
 
"Have you net Sichul before?" Jimin asked as he continued to go through the photo album. A young boy, around 2 years old was smiling brightly while holding a basketball in his hands. The innocence in his eyes made Jimin go back to the childhood he thought he never had.
 
"Hey shortie!" Yongnam, Jimin's co-orphan called him. He was a tall kid and is very well-built for his age. He is five years older than Jimin and is indeed the most feared person in the house.
 
"Yes, Yong-nim?" Jimin asked with his head down low. He really is afraid of the tall kid. Yongnam is the headmaster's favorite so he could get away with just about anything. Given that fact, he ordered everyone to call him with the highest formality.
 
"I heard you're saving up some money. Give them to me." He ordered and laid out his palm, waiting for the smaller kid to give him what he's asking for.
 
"I can't." Jimin held back his tears . He needed that money. He would use it to buy himself new shoes. The one he's been using is already too small for his feet that he has to curl his toes just to fit it.
 
"Why, lookie here." Yongnam glared at the younger. "Someone is going against me." He took a deep breath before asking again, a little more demanding this time. "Give me the money." He gritted his teeth, trying to hold back his temper.
 
"I... really can't. I'm really sorry." Jimin shook his head.
 
That was enough to put Yongnam's temper to its fullest. The taller kid pushed Jimin to the ground and started pounding on him. THe smaller kid was helpless. He would do nothing but to try and protect his face from the harsh blows that Yongnam is landing on him.
 
"That's enough, hyung." Another tall person who looked exactly like Yongnam pulled the bully away from Jimin.
 
"What are you doing, Yongguk?" Yongnam growled at his twin. "This little bastard needs to be disciplined."
 
"He didn't do anything wrong, hyung." Yonggik shook his had. Unlike his elder twin, Yonggik is the complete opposite of Yongnam. He is well-mannered and had a very kind heart. The orphans feel at ease everytime Yongguk is around. Because they know that when he's there to watch over them, Yongnam can't touch the other kids.
 
Heaving an angry huff, Yongnam turned to glare at Jimin whose lip was bleeding. "I'll come back for you, twerp." He said before walking off, his three other subordinates following him like ducklings.
 
"I'm really sorry about what my brother did. He has some serious anger management issues." Yongguk smiled and offered his hand. "I'm Yongguk, by the way." He said as he helped the younger stand up.
 
"Park Jimin." Jimin weakly replied, wincing as he felt the pain from moving his lips.
 
"That's going to well tomorrow." The taller boy examined Jimin's injuries. "Come, I'll help you with that." He lead the way to the kitchen where the first aid kit was set up.
 
After that incident, Jimin and Yongguk was inseparable. Until the day the twins had to me adopted, that is.
 
"I can't believe this." Jimin held back his tears as Yongguk pat Jimin's head---an affectionate gesture that he loves doing when the younger felt sad. "We'll meet each other someday, Jimin-ah. And when that day comes, I promise that we'll both be friends again." Yongguk embraced the younger boy who had played the role of a younger brother to him.
 
"I'll miss you, hyung." Jimin couldn't hold back his tears anymore. Yongguk is his closest friend. He didn't want to be left alone again.
 
"I'll miss you too, Jimin-ah. I hope we see each other soon." Yongguk then picked up his bags and started walking to the car that's waiting for him. With one last wave, Yongguk, Jimin's first best friend, along with Yongnam, his worst enemy, is gone. It might not be forever but it would take a really long time before he sees them again.
 
 
"Nope, I was living outside the country until Sichul died." Daekyung replied as she tried to hide the pain of being treated as a replacement of her cousin.
 
She was five years old then. She was quietly reading her favorite book when her father had called her. It's very rare for her to get her father's attention because he has always been so busy with his business in Japan.
 
"Daekyung-ah." He said as he finally closed his laptop. "You're going to Seoul tomorrow." Daekyung didn't know how to react. It will be the first time she's seeing her grandma in person so she was nervous about the whole thing.
 
"Why? Are you coming with me, dad?" The little girl innocently asked.
 
"Your cousin Sichul and his parents died, Daekyung-ah. I want you to go there and take care of grandma..." Her dad pat her head. He wasn't a cold person but he isn't warm either. He always talks monotonously and sometimes void of any emotions. It might be the effect of being a businessman or stress, Daekyung would think. Sometimes, she just convinces herself that she is in an orphanage and is always being ignored by everyone. That idea itself was way better that the reality where she is always alone.
 
"But I'm just a kid, dad. How can I rake care of grandma?" She shook her head. No, she is not declining the opportunity to finally have someone to talk to. She's actually way better off in Seoul than in Tokyo. But what she's very nervous about is being with people she doesn't know. As much as she wanted to have real people around her, she's still afraid of being around people she barely know. She feels much safer in the care of her room than in an unusual place.
 
"Just be Sichul's replacement." Her father sighed and started packing his things.
 
When she was, again, left alone by her father, Daekyung can't help but feel hurt by her father's words. She never thought that after trying to please her father, he's be that harsh on her. So she was raised just to be her cousin's replacement? That idea isn't really pleasant to her, even with her innocence and young age.
 

"So you studied abroad?" Jimin asked again.
 
"Yeah. I lived in Japan for five years before becoming Sichul's replacement." Daekyung abruptly stopped when she realized tgar sge was unable to choose her words correctly. Well, not that what she said was wrong. It was just... inappropriate to say to a stranger like Jimin.
 
"Replacement?" The boy was shocked at her term. She's also a part of the Lee household. Why would she be considered as only a replacement?
 
"Sorry, I used the wrong word." She shooke her head. Jimin wasn't convinced but he decided to let the topic slide. Besides, he isn't in the right position to ask her too personal questions.
 
After leafing through the photo album, Daekyung pulled an envelope of what seemed to be papers. Jimin tried to reason with himself that this whole one-week training thing is necessary. He didn't want to go through with it because he knew, deep inside him, that he'd just have to go back to his childhood that was only full of misery.
 
"What's that?" Jimin pointed at the envelope.
 
"These are the things you should know about our family." She replied.
 
"Wait. Do I have to know everything? I mean, can I just get used to the life at your house when I start living there?" Jimin raised an eyebrow at her. She opened to retort but quickly closed it to ponder about Jimin's statement. At some point, he was right. They could just create a lie to get him moving. He didn't really have to know so much about her family because, Sichul was supposed to have a traumaic amnesia when he was found by people in a village near where his parents have died.
 
"You still have to know more things about Sichul. That way you can act more normally." Daekyung didn't give up the debate that was starting.
 
"Don't you trust me? I've been doing this for six years, Daekyung-sshi. If I'm anything in this company, I'll be a professional." Jimin's temper quickly rose. Daekyung's vierw on him is too low that it is getting on his nerves.
 
"You don't get it. The Lee household---" Daekyung was cut off by the beeping of Jimin's phone.
 
"Time's up, miss. See you tomorrow. And please, don't bring too much stuff the next time we meet because evem if you ask me for help, I won't even take a second glance at you. Jimin stood up from the bench. "I don't like people who look down on me and my abilities." He then left the girl flabbergasted at his words. She never meant to hurt him but she was never really good at verbal communication.
 
Daekyung stared at her grandmother for the longest time. She couldn't believe what she has just been told. She must be playing tricks on her, right?
 
"I'm really sorry, Daekyung-ah." Minkyung, her grandmother looked at her with apologetic eyes. She never expected to loose both of her sons in two consecutive years. It was like karma was getting back at her for pressuring her sons too much.
 
"No, grandma. I don't believe you." Daekyung's eyes started to water. Even if her father never really had time for her, she still loved him. And losing him so easily like that breaks her heart into small pieces.
 
Three days, that was the only time Daekyung's father's wake lasted. It surely wasn't enough for both his daughter and Minkyung to heve their last moments with him but that was all they got. After the wake, Daekyung's father's ashes were scattered near the Han river.
 
Now Minkyung only has Daekyung by her side. She's not just Sichul's replacement, she's also her father's  substitute in the company. At the early age of 6, she was trained how to lead a huge business empire.
 
Never had she felt loved but her grandma was all she's got. She'd follow everything Minkyung says and even if she felt alone, her grandmother still mattered the most to her. Indeed, you could call her family-oriented. Never, even once, had she disappointed Minkyung. And just by doing that, Daekyung smiles and considers herself loved.
 

The week continued to drag on. Everyday, a wound from the past reopens in their hearts. Jimin was already regretting having signed that contract with Daekyung who, she herself wanted to call the deal off too. But she loved her grandmother too much. She wanted to give the elder the peace of mind she needed before passing away. That's why she decided to endure the emotional pain that were resurfacing. Besides, it won't be long before her pain disappears. Six months, that's all she needs to withstand and this would all be over.
 
 
================
 
I know it's been ages... I'm sorry. But I'll try to update more from now on ^^ Please comment on the story~ Thanks for reading and subscribing ~~~ :)