Summer Lesson

Summer Lesson
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yoseob was not joking when he said he worked as a full-time dishwasher at a café nearby his campus.  People said that he should do internship over the summer and got paid even better.  Well, he could agree with that but the purpose of him working as a full-time dishwasher was because he wanted to be charitable.  Money was not something he was desperate for, but all he needed were experience and social satisfaction.  That was part of the plan anyway.  That was part of their plan.

                Yoseob did not know who first came up with the idea but after they came back from their spring break, all of them agreed to do something that can bring more meanings to their lives and others’.  All six of them ended up working at the same café, taking full-time job for a month.  He was the dishwasher, Jonghyun was the cashier, Gyuri and Luna were the waitresses, while Seunghyun and Sooyoung were working as baristas.  Everything worked out pretty well so far.

                Nevertheless, working in the café was actually only the first phase of their plan.  The plan was they were going to work for a month.  The pay check they received at the end of it was going to proceed to charity work.  Each of them had their own activity planned, in ways they were most comfortable with.   Not that they were uncomfortable doing charity together, but it happened that their charity targets were different.  That explained the different activities.

                “More cups and saucers for you,” Luna put another tray of cups and saucers beside the kitchen sink.  Yoseob laughed.

                “I’m tired,” he said.

                “Bear with it.  It is our last day,” she smirked.

                Yoseob smirked back.  He turned the tap off and held the side of the sink.  Standing up for hours made his heels painful and looking at the stained dishes didn’t help.  Moreover, he was the only one among the six of them working in the kitchen with other adult chefs.  The other five were working happily at the front and didn’t even do the heavy work.  Well, except for the waitresses, the others were not.

+++++

                Luna set up her portable table and stool at the pedestrian walk.  She took out her different types of sketching pencils and put it on the table.  Finally, she put her sketching book on the drawing stand.  All those stuffs, she bought it using her café salary.  Well, she did not use all of them obviously.  That money and the money she was going to get from her sketching later will be donated to the old folks’ home.  That’s her target and besides doing charity, she wanted to gain more experience in her major in visual arts.  The plan itself was good; she just needed to see how it will all work out.

                “I swear I don’t know that we chose the same street for our things,” that was Jonghyun talking.

                “Oh my God!  Dude!  What are you doing here?” it was a surprise to her seeing Jonghyun with his guitar here.

                “Well, it seems like I’m gonna have to sing and play music beside you while you draw, or sketch, or whatever you are planning to do,” Jonghyun smiled.

                Luna was surprised, but it was good actually to see someone she knew while doing her stuff.  At least, she felt less lonely that way.  She quickly explained to Jonghyun her plan and to whom the charity money will proceed to later.

                “Sounds good.  I’m looking for experience too for my music major.  But, the money from this street singing and those from the salary are going to be given to an orphanage,” explained Jonghyun.

                “Cool!  Then, why don’t I be your first listener?  How much do I need to pay?” Luna asked.  Jonghyun laughed to that and gave her a folder full of songs choice.

                “It’s up to you how much you wanna pay.  But, first of all, pick up your song,” said Jonghyun.

                “Dude.  This is amazing.  You are like a radio where I can request songs.  Also, I got to choose how much I wanna pay,” Luna tossed a ten-dollar note into a piggy bank Jonghyun had put in front of himself, “Jason Mraz, I’m Yours.”

                “Nice song,” Jonghyun said and getting ready with the guitar, “And why don’t you start drawing me?  I promise I will pay when you are done,” Jonghyun suggested.

                “That’s…cool!!!  Alright.  All set,” Luna moved to her place and both of them started their missions.

                That drew the public’s attention to them.

+++++

                She had done it in the morning at a different park not too far from here.  She was quite sure she would be able to get more attention this evening.  She supposed to.  She needed attention, or else her mission was not able to succeed.  Her target was people’s health.  No people, then no project.  That’s it.

                “Seriously, this morning I managed to get only seven women and seven dollars!” she patted her handmade signboard, written “A-Dollar Aero-Dance.  Easy and Fun.  Lose Weight and Be Healthy” in black ink.  Sooyoung rolled her eyes at her own piece of work, noticing how uncreative it was.

                “It’s so silly, that name of your project,” voice of a man, very deep.

                Sooyoung turned her head to the owner of the voice and she saw a man, well, not exactly, but a bear.  Not a real bear but a bear suit with a man in it.  The sight was cute but the words were offending.

                “Who are you then, silly-suited man?” she asked, giving back to the man.

                That bear-man pulled the head off and the man revealed himself as Seunghyun.  Sooyoung wanted to laugh if she was not more surprised.

                “Seriously?  Seunghyun?  Bear?  What’s your plan in that suit?” she asked.

                “Well, you see.  My target is kids.  I brought balloons and milk and juice with me.  I think that if I could make them happier, I would feel better,” Seunghyun explained.  Sooyoung was amused.

                “Wow!  That’s very noble of you.  It was a surprise, you know, someone like you.  I mean, I’ve never seen you with kids before.  I would take it in better if it was Jonghyun or Yoseob,” she said rather frankly.

                “I know.  That’s why I choose to do this.  I want to see if I could handle them.  I want to see if I could level with them,” he said.

                “You’re funny, you know that, Seunghyun?” Sooyoung stared again at her signboard.

                “I know I am.  But, I still stand with my opinion.  Your project’s name’s silly,” Seunghyun stared also at the board.

                “You think so?” Sooyoung asked, offended again.

                “A-Dollar Aero-Dance?” he shrugged.

                “Well, yes.  Aerobic and dancing.  Where can you get any class with both activities in it for one dollar?” Sooyoung defended her idea.

                “Well, your activities are good.  But, you could change the name,” Seunghyun gave his thought.

                “What am I supposed to name it?” asked her.

                “What are you collecting money for?” without answering her, he asked another question.

                “To the Women’s Society.  I’ll make sure the money goes to single mothers,” she said.

                “You’re good.  Very thoughtful,” Seunghyun smiled.

                “So…you have a name for my project?” she asked again.

                “On the second thought, you can just proceed with that, but add in “Leave your kids attended by Mr. Bear!” somewhere in it,” Seunghyun suggested.

                “What do you mean exactly?” Sooyoung was confused.

                “Well, you know.  You are a woman and you might be able to attract more women than men.  But, if women have kids with them, how could they exercise with you?  So, they could leave their kids with me and join your project.  This is just a suggestion though,” said Seunghyun.

                “You mean you will join me?” asked her.

                “Yeah,” he nodded.

                “Oh, Seunghyun.  Thanks a lot for helping me.  That’s…that’s very kind of you,” Sooyoung suddenly turned very bright.

                “Nope.  We help each other,” he said humbly.

                “Oh, yes.  My project, it is twice a day, morning and evening, every day,” she explained because he might not want to join after he knew that.

                “It’s fine.  I’ll join you whenever wherever,” Seunghyun gave his assurance.  Sooyoung smiled.

                “You sure?  It is summer, you know that?  You might get heat staying in that suit for hours,” she asked him again.

                “Don’t worry.  I’ll manage that,” he assured her.

+++++

                Gyuri was wandering at the corridor, looking at patients being pushed in wheelchairs, at visitors who wore sad faces around.  Such a scene, but she was getting used to it by now.  Since the beginning of the summer, Gyuri had been coming to the hospital after getting off work.  It was because of a particular boy.

                “Gyuri, out of many places on Earth, I see you here.”

                Gyuri quickly turned her head towards the voice and for a while, she thought she had her neck broken.  She saw Yoseob, with flowers and books in both hands and he had a green nametag attached to his shirt.

                “What are you doing here?” Gyuri was surprised to see him, but she smiled at the sight of him.

                “I am a hospital volunteer.  That’s my project.  What are you doing here?” Yoseob smiled back.

                “Hospital volunteer?  That’s…very kind of you.  I…I am helping a certain someone.  Yeah, helping a certain someone,” Gyuri did not know how to describe herself.  She was sure as hell all her friends were like Yoseob, do

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter