Strawberry Strangers

Our ɖʋɭɭ │ ᴮᴿᴵᴳᴴᵀ Life

 


 

 

He remembers Yoona as a baby when he was little, but she came to Seoul a few times with her younger sister and they became texting friends.

"Oh my god, Grandma May said you were coming but I didn't believe her!" Yoona gives him a clutching hug. "What, what! Is that a Marc Jacob's shirt! Kystral is going to be so jealous!" Yup, Heechul likes this farm better.

Yoona shows him around the large vegetable garden where he reacquaints himself with her mom, Aunt Boa. Than, she points out the strawberry fields and the apple orchards where her dad, Kangta, primarily works. Uncle Kangta never liked Heechul that much, and the feeling is mutual.

"Krystal's working right now. She gives tours of the farms, but she's gonna freak when she sees you."

"Maybe I'll tell her I came to take her away to the city."

Yoona laughs. "You're evil! You know how much of a city lover she is! Dad would hate you!"

Yeah, Krystal and Yoona were the normal ones in his family. The rest, especially Kangta (and Onew, and maybe Eunhyuk and probably Hot Farmer) didn't seem so fond of the city and all its prestige. Plus, after Krystal visited Heechul once and became obsessive, Kangta seems to think he brainwashed her into wanting to move away to Seoul.

Old Man Teuk comes out of the large all-white house, greeting them and how is this man even nearing his late forties? He looks twenty!

"Chul! Ma boy! It's been ages! You look just like yer mother." He gives him a choking hug and Heechul feels a pang somewhere inside. His mother is a sore subject around here and Teuk is the first one to mention it. No one seems to talk about her. Not since the accident.

 

 

llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

 

 

"You're so lucky." Heechul says for the millionth time. "This farm is way more chill."

They are sitting in the little farm shop area by the visitor parking. Yoona is labeling some of the jams and veggies for sale after dealing with a few regulars.

"Trust me," she says. "Just cuz we don't have any animals doesn't mean it's easy. You try hauling in a truck load of strawberries or harvesting veggies, or weeding, oh god, the weeding. And don't even get me started on the huge apple orchard to take care of."

She smiles as she talks and Heechul can tell she loves the place. No idea why. There are bugs, and sunburns, and sweat, and no bright lights and loud music. He'll probably go crazy from the lack of shopping soon. But still, at least the South Farm doesn't smell like animal nastiness.

Heechul decides then and there to help out on the non-smelly farm. He'd much rather do cashier or labeling work than chucking eggs or being chased by that stupid goat. He starts working in the shop and helping at the cider mill. Yoona does the complicated stuff while he sticks to dealing with customers – which isn't so bad – but he refuses to go out in the fields. Milky white skin does not do well under sun. Though Yoona convinces him to try apple tree climbing, he brings a parasol and sits in the shade to watch the whole time. Why climb a tree when he’s perfectly content sitting below it?

 

 

llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

 



Krystal does freak out when she sees him and she all but wants to marry him after he gives her his designer pair of sunglasses. He has four of the same kind. Kangta doesn't acknowledge him, only nods and grunts, but still he likes the South Farm better. Even if Hot Farmer isn't on it.

"Who's Hot Farmer?" Yoona asks one day while she's putting out some of Boa's freshly picked summer squash. There have been crowds of people coming all day.

"One of Grammie's farmhands. He's kind of gorgeous, like I wanna weep every time I see him. And that’s saying something coming from this face." Heechul takes out his pocket mirror to check over his bleached hair and eyeliner.

"Oh god," Yoona giggles. "If my dad heard you talking like that..." More customers come.

"What's with the crowd today?" Heechul asks as they're serving a long line.

"It's Sunday: Pie Day!"

Heechul stares at her as Krystal comes in with a fresh pick of strawberries.

"Oh, Chul, you HAVE to try Farmer G's award-winning pie! He makes all kinds! Apple, cherry, pecan and his strawberry! AH! It's our most popular!"


"Farmer G?" Heechul grins. "Like 'Ohhh, Kevin G~~!'" And they laugh as Yoona cuts him a slice from the display case.

"He's a friend of Yoona's," Krystal fills in. "Mystery farmer who makes magic pies and drops them off for us to sell every Sunday. No one knows who he is but big sis here. And she refuses to tell anyone, even her own family." Krystal pouts and playfully nudges her sister's shoulders.

"Why the secrecy?" Heechul asks as he goes to take a bite.

Yoona shrugs. "He's shy, I guess."

Heechul dies then. The girls giggle when he moans a little because, holy mother of god, there is a fruity of love happening in his mouth. He can't even describe the taste. Crunchy bits mix in with syrupy goodness and melt into the squishy strawberry filling and it’s everything glorious in the world put into a single bite.

Heechul, for once, is speechless as he swallows.

"I take it you like it." Yoona smiles. "I'll text him that my cocky cousin likes them. He’s a bit of a pie perfectionist and always wants to hear opinions." She pauses. "Though he'll probably think I coerced you cuz you’re family." She thinks for a second before Heechul helps her mid bite.

 
"How about something like, 'my dear picky friend who usually hates sweets says the pie was to die for' which isn't a lie." And he takes a another bite because, seriously, he might never eat another thing again.

 

 

If you don't know who Kevin G is than SLAP~ You should. Introducing the mysterious pie maker! Oh, things are going to get mixed up real fast! Thanks for reading!

YOU SILENT READERS SHALL NOT PASS!!!!
well you will but still please comment/subscribe etc :o)

C O M M E N T