Chapter 1

Into the Unknown

“Noona!” Sehun burst into Hyerin’s room, his uniform perectly ironed and his jet black hair perfectly brushed into a cute little comb-over. While Sehun was all ready for his first day of highschool, his sister Hyerin couldn’t wait until her last day. It was her junior year, and according to last year’s upperclassmen, it was the hardest year, the year colleges looked at.

Sehun hurried over to the side of her bed, grabbed hold of her shoulder with was poking out of her Hello Kitty blanket and shook her furiously. “Noona! Noona! Noona!” He kept repeating. After several more moments of that, Hyerin finally popped her head out of the blanket and squinted as se waited for her eyes to adjust to the light. She looked over at the little analog clock on her wall felt the anger building up inside her. It was only 5:30 am and school didn’t start until  7.

“Sehun.” She growled, her voice still husky with sleep. “Why?” Her voice had turned into a beg. She could still sleep for 45 more minutes if not for Sehun. Why was he so excited about school anyways?

“Let’s go noona! We have to get you ready!” Sehun pulled his noona out of bed and slowly dragged her to the kitchen where their brother Luhan was dressed and eating breakfast. He greeted the two with a nod and a chuckle.

Hyerin stretched and pulled her hair into a bun. “Yah! Oh Sehun!” She yelled, “Why’d you wake me up? Luhan oppa can drop you off! I’m not the only one that can drive you know?”

Sehun poured some cereal and milk into a clean bowl and set it on the table for her. “Bianhe. But hyung’s going to pick up Juyeon noona and Minseok hyung.” Sehun sat next to Luhan and watched as Hyerin sat across from them and stared at the cereal. She muttered a quiet ‘aigoo’ before taking her first bite.

Luhan got up and pulled his book bag over his shoulder. “Well,” he said as he placed his empty bowl in the sink, “I’ll see you two at school then.” He gave his siblings a salute and disappeared out the front door. Hyerin and Sehun listened for the sound of Luhan’s engine to fade out. The house was silent.

“So, umma and appa left already?” Hyerin asked absent mindedly as she pushed her cereal around the bowl.

Sehun nodded. They had left at 4-ish that morning, leaving only a note stating their absence. He passed the note to Hyerin and she read over it. They were to be back in three days. Hyerin let out a slightly pissed off chuckle, a dark scowl appearing on her face. They couldn’t even say goodbye to their kids huh? She thought.

Hyerin got up and placed the bowl in the sink. “Could you wash it kiddo? I’m gonna get ready.” She passed behind Sehun, gave him a gentle pat on the back, and headed to the bathroom to freshen up.

=============================================================================================

“Sorry I’m late noona!” Jongin said as he climbed into Jungah’s car. She ruffled his hair playfully and chuckled. “It’s all good Jongin. As long as we’re not late.” She turned over the engine and pulled out of their drive way.

“Excited?” She asked as she drove the ten minutes to Myungdae High. She was answered with a huge grin and a long explanation as to why.

As she entered the student parking lot, she locked the doors to keep Jongin in. Her dongsaeng looked at her curiously. “Listen Jongin, take this from a senior, don’t do anything stupid. Freshman year makes the rest of your high school experience. Be a good kid and don’t get in trouble. You got that?”

Jongin gave her a look that said, ‘noona, I’m not a baby anymore.’ But he flashed her his signature smile and said, “Of course noona!” Jungah reached over and pinched his cheek affectionately. “I’m your sister. That smile won’t work on me.” Jongin gave her a pout and Jungah unlocked the door for him. “Have a good first day little one.” She called as he exited the car, and with that, he disappeared into the nearest building.

===========================================================================================

Hyerin pulled into an empty parking space. “Try not to get into any trouble hm?” She said as she turned off the engine and pulled her hair over one shoulder. Hyerin glanced over at her brother and saw him staring out the window at a younger girl who looked slightly familiar. Her long dark hair was waving around in the slight breeze and it appeared as if she were waiting for someone.

“Your friend?” She asked. Sehun looked over at her with a surprised look on his face. Was his staring that obvious? He nodded and smiled.

“Kaeun,” He said, “Lee Kaeun.”

“Well then. Go talk to her.” Hyerin unlocked the door and pushed him gently out. “Go. Go. I’m going to look for Jongdae.”

“Of course you are.” Sehun said as he got out, fixing the backpack he wore. He closed the door behind him and turned around to wave one last time at his sister. Hyerin nodded her goodbye. She then reached into the back seat and grabbed her book bag. After saying a silent ‘fighting’ to herself, she got looked down at her phone where a blinking sign read ‘message from Babo – Kim Jongdae.’

‘Let’s meet on the stairs outside the math building.’ It read. After getting out of her car, fixing herself one last time and locking her car, Hyerin quickly walked to the stairs to meet him.

As she walked past the main building, she grabbed her schedule and slipped it into her bag. “I’ll need that later.” She said to herself.

The closer she got to the math building the clearer she could see Jongdae. He has his hair pulled back, one book bag strap on his left shoulder, and a smile on his face as usual. Hyerin smiled back and gave a little wave. Jongdae started walking closer to her and opened his arms wide, pulling her into a hug. It’s been a while since the couple had seen each other since Jongdae had been on vacation for over half of summer break.

“I’ve missed you.” He said as he gently kissed the top of her head.

“I’ve missed you too babo.” Hyerin looked up into his beautiful brown eyes with a smile on her face. Oh, how much she had missed everything about him. Jongdae leaned in, and soon their lips met in a soft kiss. Hyerin put her hand on his cheek, feeling his glorious jaw line and the slight stubble he had. She pulled away and rested her chin on his shoulder. With her arms around him, and his arms safely secured around her waist, Hyerin could not feel any happier. If only they could stay like this forever.