Late Night Duty

Late Night Duty

Chanyeol plops himself back first on his bouncy bed. He rubs his bump, feeling full as ever. He’s just about drifting off to slumber when something catches his vision.

When and why and how his laptop is even on?

Lazily, he crawls to the other end of his bed to approach his laptop.

 

choi jinri ^-^

Skype Call

.

o

 

With half closed eyes, he glances over his phone. Jinri rarely uses Skype unless his phone is dead and yes, his phone is out of battery.

Figures.

He sighs, instead of answering the call he stands up to reach the plugs and charges his phone. He trudges back and forth to the bathroom and the kitchen (for another round of eating) and back to his bedroom for more or less than 30 minutes until he’s back with his sleep wear – sweatpants and loose t-shirt with a hot cup of noodle on his hand, because the night is chill enough to sleep with only his boxer like on the other nights.

Chanyeol is just that well organized kind of person.

 

The mattress sinks down as he sits down and blows on his smoky ramyeon cup. He beams – it smells so delicious. His eyes then (finally) dart to the screen and grazes his fingers on the mouse pad, making the screen lit up to a Skype window being opened.

He blinks, so she really called him and he thought it was sort of a dream.

 

✰ choi jinri ^-^                       ✆ Call Mobile ▼

✹ Online

 

choi jinri ^-^              14/4/13 10.28PM

you’re online!!!!!!! :D :D :D

choi jinri ^-^              14/4/13 10.45PM

oh right.

choi jinri ^-^              14/4/13 10.48PM

you’re at baekhyun’s house

choi jinri ^-^              14/4/13 10.55PM

chanyeEoOoOOOOLlllLll

choi jinri ^-^              14/4/13 11.59PM

hi

choi jinri ^-^              14/4/13 11.59PM

where r u

choi jinri ^-^              14/4/13 11.59PM

yeol

choi jinri ^-^              14/4/13 11.59PM

why did u even put it online when you’re actual

choi jinri ^-^              14/4/13 11.59PM

ly awa

choi jinri ^-^              14/4/13 11.59PM

y

choi jinri ^-^              15/4/13 00.00AM

typing problem

choi jinri ^-^              15/4/13 00.03AM

yeol im bored

 

Call started           15/4/13 00.04AM

Call ended            15/4/13 00.04AM

 

choi jinri ^-^              15/4/13 00.05AM

aren’t u home yet?? :-(

choi jinri ^-^              15/4/13 00.07AM

park chanyeol

 

Call started            15/4/13 00.09AM

Call ended             15/4/13 00.09AM

Call started            15/4/13 00.12AM

Call ended             15/4/13 00.13AM

Call started             15/4/13 00.17AM

Call ended             15/4/13 00.17AM

 

choi jinri ^-^               15/4/13 00.21AM

istg if you’re still not answering

choi jinri ^-^               15/4/13 00.23AM

JKHGDKJAGFJKAG YEOLLLLLLLLL

choi jinri ^-^               15/4/13 00.23AM

dont expect me to talk to u tmr

 

Call started             15/4/13 00.28AM

Call ended              15/4/13 00.29AM

 

park Chanyeol             15/4/13 00.31AM

hello :-D

choi jinri ^-^                 15/4/13 00.31AM

 ( ´Д`)y━・~~

choi jinri ^-^                 15/4/13 00.31AM

where have u beeeeeen

park Chanyeol             15/4/13 00.32AM

im eatumg

park Chanyeol             15/4/13 00.32AM

camt typw propwrly

choi jinri ^-^                 15/4/13 00.32AM

ヽ(#゚Д゚)ノ┌┛

park Chanyeol             15/4/13 00.34AM

how did u do that

choi jinri ^-^                 15/4/13 00.34AM

do what

choi jinri ^-^                 15/4/13 00.36AM

yeol

choi jinri ^-^                 15/4/13 00.36AM

:----(

choi jinri ^-^                 15/4/13 00.39AM

fine, take ur time

 

Chanyeol is currently busy slurping his noodle when he sees that, and he smiles. He moves the pointer on his screen to the green button on the right top.

 

park Chanyeol

Skype Call

.

o

 

Call started             15/4/13 00.40AM

 

“Hi.” He says with a muffled mouth, one hand holding his fork and the other one on the cup. “How do you do that—the emoticon thingy?”

 

His face is a bit blurred; blame the lame Internet connection at her house. He can see she’s still putting her lights on at this kind of time and that only leads to one conclusion: it’s one of those days. Chanyeol gulps down the remaining noodle on the cup by drinking it and wipes his mouth afterward.

Jinri stares at him judgingly – and ignores his question – until he lets out a burp not long after and she groans in disgust.

 

“Are you even for real..” She grumbles but he hears her and grins, before trotting away from the screen to get a glass of water.

“Why aren’t you sleeping?” He shouts.

 

She can hear commotion from the other line and she wonders herself how could he shout from the other side of his wide apartment yet his voice is still as loud as if he’s sitting before the screen. She just waits until he comes back with a glass of cold water back in her vision.

 

“I can’t sleep.” She says curtly.

“I see.” Chanyeol nods. “So, spill.”

 

That’s the only cue for her to sit up straight and her eyebrows furrow in instant, almost the opposite from her appearance minutes ago.

 

She pouts. “I fought with her.”

 

He hasn’t even blinked when she starts again.

 

“And—and she didn't even let me explain! God damn it, she turned the whole situation so that I was the bad guy!” She scoffs. “Oh! And the way she points a finger at me in the middle of the canteen. Geez. Selfish all-centered girl. Think she can have everything because she’s pretty and all?! Well, she is… and she can, in fact. But it’s not fair!” She throws her arms in exasperation.

 

Chanyeol, on the other side, is just blinking at the screen without saying anything. When she looks down because she got no response, her screen is full of his face, up close.

 

“Yeol!” She yells again, bringing him back.

He blinks again and moves his face further. “H—huh?”

She whines. “Were you even listening?”

He nods several times. “Of course! You got mad at Soojung, right?”

“How—why Soojung? How did you know?”

He rolls his eyes. “Of course I know. Moving on.”

She blinks at first but continues as being ordered, “She’s annoying, right?” She crosses her arms. “I can’t believe it I’ve been friends with her since diapers. She has even been living near my house! Gosh. Not to mention I have the same classes with her tomorrow.”

 

Chanyeol is still not talking, but he doesn't take his eyes off of the screen. He looks like he’s working on something that his eyes are so focused and there’s typing sound sometimes.

 

“She doesn’t even know I did that because of I was the closest to Jongin.” Her voice is now lower and much calmer. She looks to her nightstand where there’s a picture of her and Soojung, smiling oh so widely together. “I know some of my classmates have a crush on him so I—so I told him I’d partner with him for the drama project and I didn’t know it would involve holding hands… thingy… and stuffs.” She huffs and hugs her teddy bear. “I hate this. I’m a mess.”

 

Chanyeol softens at the sight, and props his chin with his left hand. “That’s it?”

“Well.” She pouts. “Mom doesn't let me drive.”

He laughs at this to the point he has to back away from the screen to clutch his belly. “See? Told you she won’t allow!” He laughs again and she narrows her eyes at the mosaicked figure and hell it’s even lagging that moment.

“Haha. So funny.” She scoffs. “I’ll buy you the burrito tomorrow.”

Chanyeol pumps his fist in a winner manner but is still laughing. He wins the bet they made few days ago. He’s back with his tummy on the bed again a minute later and wipes a tear on the corner of his eyes. Or he’s just being dramatic, she thinks. “Okay. Here’s the thing,” he fakes a cough, “you don’t even have a license, Sull. Why did you think she would let you? Besides, you have a driver… and you can always call me if you want to go somewhere. Right?”

“But, Yeol,” she sighs, “here’s the thing. I—uh, she called me earlier and I don’t know why I got too sensitive back then and you know how not-a-temperament person I am but—“ she bites her lower lip, “I yelled at my mom that I hate her.”

“Okay…” He tries his best to not wreck the sinking ship on his laptop screen, although what she had done quite crosses the line. “You can always apologize to her later, Sull. Call—or text her. She will understand that you’re having your bad day.”

“But I want to drive..” She mumbles, thinking how cool she will look like when she drives her new birthday present to school. “Jongin drives. Why can’t I?”

He chuckles. “Jongin is a boy, Jinri. He's older than you anyway. Of course he’s allowed, even before he got his license.” He shakes his head, “But you know what happened to him that one time he got arrested because he had not got his license, right?”

 

She stays silent and the memory of Jongin being grounded for a whole month replays in her mind – how his father came all furious and slammed the bill on the police desk and (literally) dragged him home by his ear, then Chanyeol had to pick her and Soojung from the police station later that day. She grimaces and nods nonetheless; ended up like that is the least she would want to happen.

 

“You’ll get your license in a few months, Sull. Don’t worry.” He smiles, seeing her in her deep thought. “So, what else?”

“Are you doing your assignment right now?” She asks back, hearing him typing something there.

He blinks. “No?”

She shrugs. “Okay. There are a lot, actually. I even ate my dinner in a wrong order – pudding first, rice after that.” She whines on her pillow. “Everything went wrong, Yeol. I don’t even know… why.” She pulls up something from underneath her bunch of pink plushies behind, to reveal tangled wires which he assumes are her chargers – laptop’s, phone’s, iPod’s – and he bets one of those wires belongs to her earphones because, uh, pink between the black and white ones. “My life right now is more tangled than these.”

 

He looks at the sight of her burying her face on to her pillow and her screaming, more like a high-pitched squealing to him but he ignores that. Chuckling, little more typing sound can be heard and he his fingers on the mouse pad again.

 

She looks up and her face is only half of the screen. Her bangs are messy and her eyelids are heavy. “What do I do.” She says, not actually asking.

 

“Go to sleep.” He tells her.

 

She shakes her head. “I can’t. I still have my project and the deadline’s—“ she looks to the corner of her Macbook’s screen, “—2 hours ago. See? This is how miserable I am.”

 

Chanyeol laughs. She really resembles him when he was in the first year of high school, all messed up with personal life and school works. But he succeeded in the end that he’s in his last year of high school now, being his senior and savior at the same time.

She’s now rolling on her bed back and forth and all he can hear through the line is her yelling – the advantage from living alone in a big house of her family who’s abroad for the time being. She really doesn't care about the neighbor besides her house if she disturbs their peaceful night.

 

“Your neighbors are gonna be pissed, Sull.” He reminds.

 

Her life is messed up enough to care. She continues yelling and rolling until she finally stops and stares at the screen desperately.

 

“Yeol what do I do what do I—“ she sighs, “—do. What do I do?” She says, now the tone is more like asking.

Chanyeol smiles. “Just go get a scoop of ice cream that we bought earlier last night.”

She blinks. “We did?”

“We did,” he deadpans. “Mint chocolate or something flavor.”

“Oh. Right.” She begins to sit up straight on her knees. “And then?”

“Put your iPod on the speaker and play the playlist I’ve made for you.” He says, as his hands are busy with the mouse pad. “The one with ‘Enjoy yourself’ as the title.” He smiles proudly like that's the coolest name for a playlist ever.

She hesitates for a moment because ‘enjoy yourself’? uh, weirdo? before nodding anyway. “Okay. Noted. And then?”

He stretches his long arms and lets out a yawn. “Do your out of deadline task. Finish it and send it immediately to Mr. Park the moment you’re finished.”

“But—the deadline—“

“It’s gonna be fine.” He smiles, eyes starting to get heavy. “He made the deadline only for formalities. Just make the assignment, you can find some examples on Google and bam, you only need to change the words into more like…” His eyebrow twitches, thinking for the right word.

“More like…?”

“More like… you know. Just change some words and you’ll get the job done.” He grins.

She rolls her eyes. “Fine. Got it, Mister.” She begins to walk away from the screen to get the ice cream and all of things he ordered her.

 

Soon, Jason Mraz’s Live High surrounds her lit up room and he can see her back with a glass of her favorite ice cream. Two scoops, he can see.

 

“Now what?” She asks, tasting the treat with the tip of her tongue. “Gosh. This is heaven.” She squeals in delight.

 

Chanyeol snorts; his voice is deep low, indeed a sign that he’s close to drifting off. But he keeps his eyes open, way too wide to his normal. “Google.” He mumbles and types something that she doesn't bother to care. Maybe he is replaying question from his fans on ask.fm, she thinks.

 

“Did you get my question?” She asks suddenly, already starting with her work on Google by typing ’10 reasons to stay healthy’. What a nonsense assignment.

 

“Huh?” His eyes twitch. “What question?”

 

He thinks he’s sleepy enough that he can see faint blush creeps on her cheeks. He quickly shakes his head, as she replies with a short ‘nothing’.

 

It’s then silent for few minutes and Chanyeol swears he’s already stepping his feet on his dreamland about wolves and caves and trees and oh my God Jinri’s so beautiful with her forehead wrinkled sometimes.

 

“Yeol.” She calls softly, much to him to think he’s already dreaming by then. “What do I do with Soojung, then?”

He hums to the song that’s currently playing on her background. He knows that Jinri has minimized the screen because that’s how she always does every time they’re having a Skype video call. He doesn't complain, though. “Just… explain to her again, perhaps?” He says, not quite sure because it’s Soojung they’re talking about.

“Really?” She asks; sound of keyboards being pressed can be heard as well. “What if she doesn't want to listen again?”

He smiles, head resting on the pillow before his laptop. “She will. You know how to convince her. She’s your best friend after all.” He closes his eyes and mumbles, “Or if you’re not sure enough, I can order Jongin to in.”

She laughs. “No, please. I don't need any drama. My life is disheveled enough for now. I don't want to be somehow like a third wheel when I’m really not one.” Snorting, she speaks again while shaking her head. “Whoa. I was really sensitive hours ago, thinking about all of this and that when actually, there’s really nothing to fuss over about.”

 

Chanyeol hmms as a response he’s still listening, because he is. But his mouth is already on the sleeping mode that he really can’t manage to open it mere to say a word.

 

“Thanks, by the way.” She says again, chuckling. “I know this sounds cheesy as hell but…” Her cheeks turn crimson; she really doesn't want to see his face – maybe he's grinning like an idiot now by hearing her saying those words – that she’s thankful she can’t see it because of the Word document full on her screen. “I really appreciate your, uh, existence for being here, or there, well. But, really.”

 

The corner of his lips perk up.

 

“And of course, maybe you’d do this every time I ask you because I’ve done these before. Me playing savior and you’re the one who needs to be saved. Two years ago, remember?” She says, emphasizing the ‘I’ words. “But it’s okay. I know you’re a good soul.”

 

Chanyeol scoffs inwardly, so she’s still with her ego. All his exterior features seem in a sleep mode already.

 

It’s silent again and the only sound between the video call is only her typing and the hip-hop music as the background. She sighs after an hour or so of work and smiles, looking through the whole task. She stretches her arms and yawns – for the first time that night – before sending the task via email.

 

While waiting for the email to be sent, hearing the other boy is now soundless, she opens one of the most visited sites on her Chrome’s home.

 

Chanyeol | ask.fm/parkcy1992.

 

She scrolls down all the questions that make her cringe in disgust. The whole first page filled with his fans with their praising how handsome he is which he replied with a simple ‘thank you ☺’. She scoffs, there’s even one that insults her and offers to be his girlfriend instead of ‘that pale giant Choi’. She keeps on scrolling, really used to that kind of hatred towards her ever since she said yes to be his girlfriend two years ago.

 

Some entries (finally) catch her eyes.

 

Chanyeol oppa, sleep!!!! is it that jinri girl who’s keeping you awake up until this late? ugh ><

nah, don’t worry about me. if im not awake now i won’t be able to reply to your question, right? hahaha

about 20 minutes ago

---

Whoa dude you sound so gay down there Kim Jongin

say that to yourself, douchebag. i’ve seen ur page

about 26 minutes ago

---

Aww my girl is so cute, spamming your askfm like that Kim Jongin

you two are so dumb

about 26 minutes ago

---

i forgot to stay anon soojung xx

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

about 32 minutes ago

---

i don’t see why people are hating on ur girlfriend tsktsk people these days. but u guys are so cute together! soojung  xx

i don’t see why too, krys!

 

ps: i’ll tell her to not freak her brain out and that you’re sorry

about 33 minutes ago

---

tell her to not freak her brain out. he already explained to me. tell her i’m sorry too. we’ll talk tomorrow… if she wants to

…. okay? but who’s this?

about 33 minutes ago

---

Oppa why aren’t u sleeping? T_T

i’m currently accompanying someone doing her task ☺

about 36 minutes ago

---

how can u keep telling her the most right things to do on her bad day?

because she had told me all of those right things before. i’m just like… returning the favor? lol

about 38 minutes ago

---

how do u manage to stay with her with all those hatred messages?

why bother those messages when i’m all happy being with her? haha cheeeesy

about 38 minutes ago

---

why her out of all girls in your school?

i don’t have the exact reason for this one but say, she’s just the right one? You just… know… ☺ haha

about 40 minutes ago

---

aren’t u tired with her freaking out here and there about unimportant things?

i don’t see why can i be tired? she’s adorable when she freaks out, jsyk

about 42 minutes ago

---

she is one lucky girl

i know, and i’m thankful to have you ☺

 

HAHAHAHA gotcha! you must’ve widened your eyes by now, i bet. anyway, what have you been doing here you better finish mr park’s assignment!

About 45 minutes ago

---

 

She gasps and actually widens her eyes. Damn damn damn damn. Damn, how did he know?!

 

“Yeol.” She calls slowly, eyes still on his page. She thinks of reasons to bluff about the ask.fm thingy and all but she gets no answer from him. “Yeol?”

 

No answer. She calls again and finally, she minimizes her browser, to reveal a sleeping figure on the Skype window. His head is on his pillow that’s placed behind the laptop.

A smile appears on her lips.

She traces his closed eyelids to his slightly opened mouth. Chuckling – thinking it’s the most ridiculous and somehow pathetic thing she will ever do, she leans in and pecks his cheek – her laptop screen.

 

“Thank you, Yeol.” She blushes, though no one can ever see her at that moment.

 

Suddenly, her heart flutters in a different pace when she’s about to speak again. She contemplates by looking back and forth to his ask.fm page and to his sleeping face on Skype.

She’s afraid if Chanyeol’s actually not sleeping but pretending to be. Then again, why would she afraid when he’s the one who defends her – staying by her side through ups and downs?

 

“I love you.”

 

Call ended              15/4/13 03.24AM

 

She puts a hand in front of her thumping chest. She just said the magic words. Grinning, she makes her way to brush her teeth, before getting ready to sleep away her dreamy face.

 

***

 

The next morning, he wakes up to a burning hot laptop and scolds himself for fallen asleep the night before. He lazily rubs his eye with one hand and the other one clicks on the mouse pad.

 

“What—“

 

Then he grins. He softly stares at the offline contact and it states four hours ago when the video call ended. He must be so sleepy last night to drift off so fast when usually he can stay up all night.

He glances that one last folder before he shuts down his laptop, getting all ready for another day of school. He chuckles, remembering that last night she thought he was doing his assignment when some minutes for ask.fm and the rest of his time was spent doing his usual job every time he has a Skype video call with her.

 

My Pictures

  ➜ Chanyeol’s

     ➜ Her

        ➜ SCREENCAP

            ➜ 130415 – Skype

 

Call him a creep or whatever. Someone must have something they’re addicted of.

 

For him, she is his addiction – no matter how tangled the wires of her life could be.

 


a/n: it's my first time writing this kinda fic and it's really fun playing with all emoticons and there's also skype and askfm and all. anw, SPECIAL THANKS TO: MCD'S PDNIM /THROWS HEARTS/ OR WHOEVER WHO HAD THE IDEA OF PUTTING THEM TOGETHER AS THE MCS im bawling my eyes and heart out

sorry for taking this space but can't u feel the love thru their eyes and i actually dreamt about them and to wrap this up, enjoy!!! lol