BELIEVE {FATHER'S DAY SPECIAL - ONESHOT}

BELIEVE {FATHER'S DAY SPECIAL - ONESHOT}

 

*One fine spring Monday morning, a 32 year old man named Kangin was walking with his 2 sons named Donghae [8 y/o - oldest], Yesung [5 y/o - second oldest] and a  daughter named Heechul [3 y/o - youngest].*

 

Heechul: Appa, where are we going?

Yesung: Are we going to visit Omma?

Kangin: Aniyo, we're not going to your Omma.

Donghae: Appa, is Omma alright? *worried smile*

Kangin: *put his right hand at Donghae's head* She will be alright. Don't woory, Appa will take care of her. *sad smile*

 

*They continue walking until they reach an orphanage.*

 

Donghae: *confused* Appa, why are we here?

Kangin: Donghae- ah, from now on this will be your new home.

Yesung: *angry* You're going to leave us here?

Kangin: Don't worry, I will always visit you here. I know someday you'll understand why I'm doing this.

Heechul: *crying* Appa, don't leave us here. I want to go with you. Please.

Kangin: *bend knees and hands are on Heechul's shoulders* You'll be more fine here. I can't take care of you. I have to work to support you and your mother. Hope you all understand.

Yesung: *angry* No! You just don't love us that's why you are doing this. And don't use Omma for your excuses!

Kangin: You'll understand me someday. Donghae- ah, you'll be in charde with them, thake good care of your siblings. *looked at Yesung* Yesung- sshi. *looked at Heechul* Heechul- sshi. Obey your Donghae oppa, okay? *check his wristwatch* I have to go, be good here. *tears starts to fall* I'll visit you on weekend.

Donghae: *crying* We will wait for you, Appa.

Kangin: *raised right hand* Promise, Appa will come back.

Heechul: *still crying*  That's a promise, okay?

Kangin: Ne, Appa never breaks his promises.

 

*Then they hug each other, Kangin leave his children with something. Kangin talked to the nun in the orphanage.

 

Kangin: Please take care of my children. *becoming emotional* Be patient with them most of all to Yesung because he's a bit stubborn but he's responsible. Donghae is obedient, nothing to worry about him. And Heechul is coward in dark places so don't leave her alone. They are very good and obedient, please take good care of them.

Nun: Don't worry about them, they were in good hands. *smile* And for your wife, we are praying for her fast recovery.

Kangin: Kamsa hamnida, I will always visit them every weekend. I have to go. *stands up and bowed*

Nun: Okay, may God bless you.

 

* Kangin walked full of sadness, thinking of all his problems. His wife Ae- ri is in critical condition of stage 4 stomach cacer. He is working as a construction worker in a real estate company. How cold he sustain the medication of his  wife and his 3 children when his income is not enough. He almost work 24 hours a day, construction worker in the morning, dishwasher at noon and bouncer at night. He loved his family that he could give his life. So even if it is hard to be away from them, he leave them in the orphanage. It's the best for them, the orphanage can give them the good education and life that Kangin can't.*

 

At his work, talking to a friend.

 

Friend: So how was your children? I mean... are they already on the orphanage?

Kangin: *sad*   Ne, I brought them this morning.

Friend: I know how hard this is for you, but just think that you do this for their own good. You know you can't give them good life.

Kangin: Don't be so harsh to me, I know my dissabilities, I can't give them a good life because I'm poor. I feel so useless.

Friend: *showing sympathy* Mianheyo, you're strong, I know you can make this.

 

*Days passed, Kangin feels so uncomplete, the same feeling with an ELF missing in a Super Show concert or a fangirl finds out that her biased had a girlfriend. It's like so broken- hearted. Sunday morning, Kangin went to the orphanage to visit his children as promised.*

 

Kangin: *excited* Good morning, sister! I'm here to visit my children.

Nun: Good morning too. You seems so excited. *smiles and pointing a chair*  Have a sit first. Ahm... I have something to say about your children.

Kangin: *worried*  Why? Did anything bad happened to them?

Nun: They are fine now, but last Wednesday, Yesung together with his 2 siblings tried to escape but we stop them. As you can see it's hard for them to be away from you. So we suggest that you should not show yourself to them, that way they can easily adjudt and move on.

Kangin: So you're stoping me to visit them?

Nun: You can always visit them but they should not see you.

Kangin: You know, I don't get it. Why should I need to always sacrifice? Away from them is like hell!

Nun: Just think about it, we had a point here and we do understand your feelings. We are doing this for the best.

Kangin: *looked so helpless* I don't know if this is the best but I'll do it.

Nun: You made the right decision.

Kangin: Can I see them?

Nun: Yes, but as I told you, they should not see you. This way please...

 

*The nun lead Kangin in a small room with a huge glass window inside. From there you can see the playground and garden. Kangin walk closely to the glass window to see if his children are there. The big tree beside the seesaw catch his attention. He saw Yesung, Donghae and Heechul sitting under it, they are talking about something. Kangin beat the huge glass window hoping that they might hear and see him but he doesn't know that the glass window is a one- way glass meaning nobody can see him from outside. He started to cry while still beating the huge glass window.* 

 

Yesung, Donghae and Heechul talking under the tree.

 

Heechul: I missed Appa.

Yesung: *cold* Why missed him? Remember he left us here miserably.

Donghae: Don't say such things about Appa, respect him, he's our father.

Yesung: *angry*  Yeah, you're right. He's our father who left us here.

Donghae: He had a reason why he do this, try to understand him. You know that this is also hard for him.

Yesung: Stop defending him. He's not worth it. He's selfish!

 

*Yesung run away and went to his room, he is the most close to his Father that's why he's having a hard time to adjust.*  *From the glass window, Kanin saw Donghae and Yesung having a fight, then Yesung walked away, Kangin hopelessly leave the orphanage and went to Ae- ri at the hospital. As he enter the room he found Ae- ri sleeping peacefully. His face expression became soft as he hold Ae- ri's hands.*

 

Kangin: Please, fight over your cancer Ae- ri. Be strong. When you recover, we will get the children from that orphanage. We will be complete again.

 

*Kaning cried out all the pain in his heart until he fall asleep. When he wake up he saw Ae- ri looking at him. He saw sadness in her eyes.*

 

Kangin: *smiles sweetly* How's your feeling?

Ae- ri: My feeling went good because you're here. *smiles weakly*

Kangin: *kissed Ae- ri's hands* You never fail to make me happy, because you and ur children are my only happiness.

A- ri: I know, that's why I am confident to leave without any worries. I know you'll take good care of them. *holds Kangin's hands* Tell them that Omma really missed them and I loved them so much.

Kangin: Tell that to them personally when you get well. They would be very happy.

Ae- ri: I think I can't do it. It feels that my life is about to end but before I go, I want you to know that you made me very happy even if in a short time. Always remember... *cries*  that I will always love you till forever ends because I commit to you my endless love.

Kangin: Stop saying those things, you're not going to die. *cries* Don't leave me.

Ae- ri: Mianheyo, goodbye...

 

*Then Ae-ri's hands fall down. Kangin silently cry still holding Ae- ri's hand. The other day Ae- ri has been crimated, Kangin spread her ash at the ocean near their house as Ae-ri's wished.*

 

Kangin: Don't worry Ae- ri, I will take good care of our children. Hope you'll be more peaceful. I love yu, goodbye.

 

*The other day, Kangin went to the orphanage to get back his children but the nuns stop him to do so...*

 

Kangin: I want to take back my kids!

Nun: Mianheyo Sir, but it's not easy and the orphanage will not agree to give back the responsibilities to you to raised them. You are not fit to be a single parent, you can't give them good education.

Kangin: But I'm their Father.

Nun: I think you don't understand, since the day you leave them here you also surrender your responsibilities to them.

Kangin: Please... don't do this to me. I have to take care of them.

Nun: You can always do that. It's up to you on how you will do it, if you want you can give them support.

Kangin: I want to see them. I have something to tell them. Please... allow me.

Nun: We told you already about htat matter. You can see them but they should not see you. It is one of the strict rules here, I thought you already understand that.

Kangin: But this is important, they need to know that their mother passed away.

Nun: *looked pity* We will do it for you... I'm very sorry, I know you're still mourning to your wife and this is really hard for you. But were just following the rules here, just be strong for your children.

 

*He had nothing to do but to agree. Exactly 6 in the vening, the nun called the 3 children to her office.*

 

Nun: *smiling*  Have a sit. *face become serious* I have something to tell about your mother.

 

*The siblings look at each other puzzled.*

 

Nun: She passed away, your Father told us about this. I'm sorry.

Heechul: *surprised* No! You're joking, Appa promised to take care of her.

Donghae: If this is true, why did Appa not told us personally?

Nun: I'm sorry I cannot answer that.

Yesung: You cannot answer because he finallyleft us? Why don't you just say it straight to the point? He killed Omma, he left us here so he can live free with no worries.

Nun: No, don't talk bad things about your Father.

Yesung: *angry* I hate him!

Heechul: Omma is gone? *cried very loud*

Donghae: *hug Heechul*  I trusted him, I believe to his promises. If he don't care about us why not just tell us. We don't need him, stop crying. He's not worth it. A selfish person like him is not worth our love. From this day on, we don't have a Father.

 

*And that was the start of the growing hatred on their hearts. Everything has change, the 3 siblings hearts become strong and love has been taken away. While Kangin was living so miserably, he continue to work to give support to the orphanage for his children. Working for almost 24 hours to drown the sadness. He never stop working until his last children graduated college, it was Heechul. With his help, they all graduated and become professionals. He keeped his promise to his wife to take care of them. But he knows that his children had a big anger on him because they thought he left them.*

 

Kangin standing beside the ocean near their house.

 

Kangin: It's been 19 years, Ae-ri since you passed away. It's not easy but I made it. Donghae, Yesung and Heechul are already professionals, I did my promise and yet I'm not satisfied. Ae-ri... if you're only here, life could not be so hard.

 

*Heechul buyed a house near from their old house together with is husband and one child named Leeteuk. Donghae and Yesung helped them to move in.*

 

Yesung: Heechul- sshi, why did you buy a house here?

Heechul: Yesung oppa, if you're thinking of him. It's nothing to do with him, we buyed this house because it's near from the beach and Leeteuk liked this.

Donghae: Just don't mind him.

 

*Kangin saw Heechul moving in the house few units away from him. His heart filled with happiness. The other day, he went to Heechul's house to visit. He click the doorbell twice. Suddenly a cute little boy opened the gate. The boy smiled at him which made his dimples show off.*

 

Leeteuk: Annyeong haseyo, mister? Who are you?

Kangin: *smiled* I'm...

Heechul: Leeteuk- sshi, who is... *Heechul looked shock to see Kangin then his face became angry*What are you doing here?

Kangin:I just want to see you.

Heechul: Want to see me? After what you've done you still have the face to show up?

Kangin: You don't understand, let me explain everything.

Heechul: What for? I know everything. Can you just leave? Like you did before.

Kangin: Please... just a few minutes.

Heechul: I'm busy... please leave.

 

*Heechul closed the gate and grab the cluelessly Leeteuk's hand and went inside the house. Heechul immediately sitted at the couch and cry.*

 

Leeteuk: Omma, why are you crying? Who is that old man?

Heechul: Ahm... *hesitating* Don't worry about me.

Leeteuk: Why are you so angry to the old man?

Heechul: Because he's a bad father.

Leeteuk: *surprised* Omma, he is grandpa? Why did you treated him like that? He looks pityful.

Heechul: I told you because he's a bad person. Don't ever talk about him.

Leeteuk: But...

Heechul: No more buts.

Leeteuk: But...

Heechul: I said no more!

Leeteuk: But Omma, I just want to tell you that the noodles your cooking is already boiling. Look it's flowing!

 

*Then Heechul immediately run to the kitchen. Meanwhile, Kangin walk slowly away from Heechul's house.*

 

Kangin: If they only knew...

 

*6 months passed, everything went fine for Heechul's family. One late afternoon, Leeteuk is playing outside when suddenly a man standing at the other side of the road caught his attentions. Leeteuk thinks that the old man looked familiar. The old man smiled at him.*

 

Leeteuk: *smiles* Annyeong haseyo. *walk near the old man*

Old Man: Annyeong haseyo too, Leeteuk.

Leeteuk: *confused* How did you know my name?

Old Man: Ahm.. I heard it when your mother once called you.

Leeteuk: Ahh.. you look familiar.

Old Man: Really? Maybe we met before somewhere. You want to have a walk in the beach?

Leeteuk: Yes! *excited* I never see it yet!

Old Man: Come on, let's go.

 

*While walking at the beach...*

 

Leeteuk: Ahm.. old man, how long have you been here?

Old Man: We move here when I got married. It was a long time ago.

Leeteuk: Really? Omma told me she lived here once when she was a child... ahm.. old man, where is your family?

Old Man: My name is Kangin, just call me grandpa. I don't have a family.

Leeteuk: Why? Where did they go?

Kangin: They we're all gone.

Leeteuk:  That was sad, grandpa. You know you can treat me like your grandchild. *smiles*

Kangin: Really? You're so kind, Your mother raised you well and you looks so handsome.

Leeteuk: I knew that grandpa. *laughs* 

 

*They laugh together, while walking at the seashore.*

 

Leeteuk: Grandpa, I just want to ask what is the most painful thing that happened to you?

Kangin: *surprised*  Ahh.. well.. *becomes sad*  The most painful thing that happened to me is when my family got lost to me. You know Leeteuk- sshi, my wife died in stomach cancer and my 3 children was in the orphanage. I left them there because I can;t give them right education and good life so even if it was hard I still did it.

 

*Leeteuk looked to Kangin with sadness in the eyes.*

 

Kangin: For it's the best. I always visits them but they don't know about it. I gave support so at least I can help a little bit... away from them is like a living hell. They we're so near and yet so far, I can't even hug them. It hurts to see them had a huge hatred to me because they don't know the truth. Life is so cruel to me. Now, I just wish just for one day I can hug them once again but I think that's impossible.

Leeteuk: Grandpa, don't loss hope. It can always happen, maybe one of this days.

Kangin: *put his hands at Leeteuk's head* You're such a good kid. * looked at his wristwatch*  It's late already, come on I'll bring you home.

 

*They walked together until they reach Leeteuk's house.*

 

Leeteuk: Goodbye grandpa. Kamsa hamnida for the walk.

Kangin: You're welcome. Go inside it's getting dark. Bye bye *wave his hand*

 

*Leeteuk bid goodbye and went inside*

 

Leeteuk: Omma, I'm home!

Heechul: You look happy huh? Where have you been?

Leeteuk: We've been walking on the seashore.

Heechul: *confused* We? Who's your companion?

Leeteuk: I'm with grandpa.

Heechul: Grandpa? Who's grandpa?

Leeteuk: Ahm.. forgot his name.. but he is kind and pityful. He is also a sad person. *Leeteuk tell her Omma the story of the old man*

Heechul: That was sad, when you met him again invite him at our house okay?

 

*Heechul realized that the story of the old man was almost the same with their story. Suddenly she remembered his Father then she thought.*

 

Heechul: No they were not the same, the old man was good but my Father is not.

 

*Weeks passed Leeteuk never saw the old man again. It was late afternoon while Leeteuk is playing the name of the old man sinked at his mind.*

 

Leeteuk: Ahh!.. I remember, his name is Kangin. *stood up* Omma! Omma! I remember his name.

Heechul: Who's name?

Leeteuk: The old man, he's name is Kangin.

 

*Heechul looked so shocked. The name was like explosive to Heechul's ears.*

 

Leeteuk: Omma, I said his name is Kangin.

Heechul: Are you sure about that?

Leeteuk: Ne omma why?

Heechul: *move her head left and right* It can't be.

 

*Weekend Saturday morning, Yesung and Donghae went to Heechul's house. Leeteuk opened the gate.*

 

Leeteuk: Ajusshi! Annyeong haseyo.

Yesung: Annyeong haseyo! *carried Leeteuk* Have you been a good boy?

Leeteuk: Ne, Yesung ajusshi... do I have a present?

Yesung: Yes, I'll give it to you later.

Donghae: Where is your Omma, Leeteuk- sshi?

Leeteuk: Omma's inside.

 

*The 3 boys went inside the house. They saw Heechul in the kitchen.*

 

Donghae: Heechul- sshi, were here.

Yesung: Yeah we're here.

 

*But Heechul seems not th heard them.*

 

Leeteuk: Omma! They're here, aren't you hear them?

Heechul: Eh? Are you saying something? *saw her brothers* Oh! You're here.

Donghae: *forehead crumpled* Something wrong Heechul- sshi?

Heechul: Ahm... It's about Appa. I have something to tell about him. *looked at Leeteuk* Leeteuk- sshi can you play outside?

Leeteuk: Ne, omma.

Yesung: What about him? Is he disturbing you here?

Heechul: Aniyo oppa.

Donghae: Then what is it?

Heechul: Last week Leeteuk had a walk with him at the beach... he told him our story... blah... blah... blah.

 

*She told everything about Leeteuk's story about the old man.*

 

Heechul: The story made me think. What if it is all true? That he never broke his promised?

Donghae: Is that it? Maybe he's just maing a story, it's all a lie.

Heechul: What if it is not?

Yesung: Stop talking about him. Heechul- sshi, don't be curious for sure it's all a lie.

Heechul: I don't know, all I want is the thurth.

 

* After that nobody talked about it again. They just enjoyed the weekend together but Heechul still keep thinking about her father. Everyday passed she always wait and hope that her Appa might come for a walk with Leeteuk, but it never happened. One day, she decided to go to the beach while walking she remembered something when she was still a little child. Her Appa is carrying her at his back while walking at the white sands. They were going home then suddenly she found herself in front of their old house. It looks old and had many damage, she saw the door opened, curiousity made her to enter the house. It was dark inside and looks dusty. The table at the kitchen got her attention, ther'e's a shadow shaped like a man under it then she realized it was her Appa. She run to it fastly and grab the man's body, it looks old but she still recognized it.*

 

Heechul: Hey! Appa, wake up! Appa! Appa! Wake up!

 

* Heechul called for help to bring her Father at the hospital.*

 

Heechul: How was he, Doc?

Doctor: He's fine, he just fainted.

Heechul: *relieved* Kamsa hamnida, Doc.

Doctor: You're welcome.

 

Kangin is lying at the hospital bed, beside him was Heechul sitting on a chair. She looked at her Appa intently then she realized how much she missed him. Kangin got awake.*

 

Kangin: Where am I? Who are you miss?

Heechul: *surprised* You don't know me?

Kangin: No, I don't know you.

Heechul: What's this? Are you acting or something?

Kangin: I don't know what are you talking about but I need to go now my wife is in the hospital, she needs me there.

 

*Kangin stood up and remove the dextrose at his hand. Heechul called the doctor for a help.*

 

Doctor: Sir, it's better for you to take a rest.

Kangin: No, my wife and my children needs me. I need to work. I have many works to do.

 

*Heechul got panic. Why is he talking about her mother who passed away many years ago. The doctor injected him a medicine then Kangin got unconscious.*

 

Heechul: What happened to him?

Doctor: He just needs some sleep.

Heechul: Why is he like that, Doc? He's talking about my mother who passed away many years ago.

Doctor: We will take some examinations about him. We'll just wait for the results.

Heechul: Kamsa hamnida. *slowly bowed*

 

*The other day, the Doctor called her for the results. She haven't told her oppas about what she's doing at the hospital.*

 

Doctor: We got the results, and our findings tells that your Appa had a disease. This usually happen to old people like your Appa. He maybe forget the other parts of his memory like waht happened last time.

 

*Heechul looked so shocked and speechless.*

 

Heechul: This can't be happening!

Doctor: I'm sorry to tell you but your Appa's stage is already critical. He might forget everything about him and all the people around him.

Heechul: *crying* Is there anything we can do?

Doctor: Surgery is already out of the questions. The only thing you can do is to take care of him and be patient. Excuse me Ms. Kim.

 

*The doctor leave Heechul who is still shock. Heechul called her 2 oppas and told them what happened. After few minutes they arrived at the hospital. They saw Heechul crying at the lobby.*

 

Donghae: Is it true?

Heechul: *nodded*

Yesung: Where is he? Is he okay now?

Heechul: *cried very loud and hug her 2 brothers* Oppas! He's been good to us all this time. He never forgot us, he never broke his promised. We've been so cruel to him. I'm a bad daughter, I don't deserve his love. I've been so bad!

Donghae: *eyes swollen* Yeah, we've been so cruel. We never gave him chance to explain. He's been a good person, he don't desrve this.

Yesung: Naneun babo! Babo! He don't deserve this. He already suffered for many years.

 

*The three siblings felt so guilty for what happened. Their conscience almost eat them. Kangin has been discharge from the hospital and they brought them at Heechul's house. Heechul take good care of him. She always tell him stories about the past, all good memories. Sometimes Kangin remembered the time when he got a walk with Leeteuk, when he left them at the orphanage. Sometimes they heard him calling their names, saying sorry for leaving leaving them. Everytime it happens Heechuls always felt guilty. 3 more years past, Kangin got even more old and weak, his condition become more worse, he almost forgot everythin. It's a Saturday morning, Yesung and Donghae are in Heechul's house as they always do every weekend. They were at the living room with Kangin when suddenly Kangin remembered the past 3 years. It was the time when he visits Heechul.*

 

Heechul:*happiness in the eyes* Appa, you remebered me?

Kangin: Why would I forget you? You're my only princess.

Yesung: Appa.

Kangin: *looked sad* I'm sorry for...

Donghae: *hug Kangin* No, I'm sorry for all the things we did. Sorry for hating you for so many years. Sorry...

Yesung: Ne, Appa. I'm soory to.

Kangin: Why are you all saying sorry? It's all my fault.

Heechul: No it's our fault, we're sorry.

 

*Then they all hug Kangin, their beloved Appa. Kangin remembered his one wish, the wish that just for one day he can hug all his children. Happiness has been exploded to their hearts..