The Night Before

HeungSoon Shorts

The walk to Heung-soo’s house that night was uneasy and pensive.  Nam-soon was a little jittery and his nerves were starting to fray at the edges.  When he opened the door to his best friend’s bedroom, he found Heung-soo splayed on the bed with a few comic books strewn on the blanket.  He greeted Nam-soon with a big smile and tossed the book he was reading aside.  Nam-soon dropped the back-pack he was carrying and sat down heavily on the bed.  He kept his head down and flipped carelessly through the pages of one of the comic books.

“What’s the matter? You mad at me?” Heung-soo spoke first, semi-joking.  Nam-soon sighed heavily.

“So after tomorrow, that’s it.”  There was a pregnant pause.

“You know what Coach said, Nam-soon-ah.  I told you everything.”  He patted Nam-soon on the back and tousled his hair, but Nam-soon remained silent.

“Look, we still got a week before I leave for Seoul.  Think of all the we could do in a whole week!  If you guys go easy on me tomorrow, then I won’t have to spend our last week cleaning my wounds!”  Heung-soo laughed nervously, realizing he was failing at cheering up his best friend.

“Let’s just sleep.  I feel so ing worn-out,” Nam-soon sighed, pulled off his jacket and tossed it to the floor.  He grabbed the blanket at the edge of the bed and slid under it.  Heung-soo got off the bed reluctantly and turned out the light.

 

When they were both settled under the covers, it wasn’t long before Nam-soon’s soft snores could be heard.  Heung-soo smiled to himself in the dark.  He’d hoped they would talk into the wee hours tonight, but Nam-soon was clearly not in the mood.

Tomorrow would be his last day with the guys.  Coach had told him in no uncertain terms that the life of a serious athlete could not include petty crimes and general delinquent or hoodlum behavior.  He was told to get his head on right and remove himself from all that mess with immediate effect.

Heung-soo knew what it meant to leave the gang – it carried the same requirement it took to join.  They had sent off a few people over the last few years and he had partaken in the ritual -kicking.  He knew what to expect, and he couldn’t wait to get it over with.

Heung-soo’s mind wandered and ended back on one major concern – soccer was at the top of his list, but Nam-soon was and always had been number one.  In the midst of all the excitement of new beginnings, he knew it was unfathomable to even consider leaving Nam-soon behind for good.  He had a plan, more of a dream…  There was no reason why Nam-soon couldn’t come to Seoul too, that is, if Nam-soon’s dad could get on board with the plan.  They had a week to talk about it and think it all out... ‘We just need to get things over with tomorrow’…

 

Nam-soon’s eyes flew open, and he checked the alarm clock by Heung-soo’s bed..12.49.   He looked to his left – Heung-soo was now sleeping on his back, his left hand tucked under his head. 

The lump in Nam-soon’s throat burned as he tried to suppress it.  It was happening.  He’d always known Park Heung-soo was made for great things.  He’d always known deep down that Heung-soo was above all the crap they’d gotten up to these past years.  He’d always known that Heung-soo was better, smarter, more together than he had ever been.   It was bound to happen … he was bound to leave sooner or later.

A tear rolled down the side of Nam-soon’s face.  He thought of the gang ritual tomorrow, dreading it…  One way to say good-bye.   He thought of the brand new blue sneakers in the box under his bed, and the card he had scribbled a few words in.  He was going to hang on to them until the night before Heung-soo’s trip… Another way to say goodbye… He thought and thought.. and the more he did, the more he chided himself for feeling less and less happy about Heung-soo's big break.   ‘What is one measly week after all these years?  What words can we speak, what things can we do in a week that will tell him everything I have to say?’

 

Nam-soon rolled over on his side and faced his best friend.  He laid there looking at him for what seemed like an hour.  He reached out and softly held the hand lying by Heung-soo’s side.  Heung-soo opened his eyes and squeezed the hand nestled in his.  Fingers laced, cocooned in the heavy silence, they laid still in the dark.