Regrets

Regrets

Regrets. How many times have you felt like going back in time, to undo something that you had done, just so you won't end up in regrets later? Me? Never. I lived the perfect life. Well not until she came into my life and caused me to make the biggest mistake I'd regret my whole life.

I button the cuff to my black tuxedo while looking into the mirror. Even when today is supposed to be a merry day, it certainly isn't for me. All that I can feel is a deep blue emotion. I sit down on the white zebra-print sofa and a tingle of sorrow swipe over me. I close my eyes as I reminisce the days when I was with her.

"Just this once, okay?" she pleaded. She had been begging me to buy her those white roses that were on sale. I just shrugged it off saying that it was not necessary. Even when we had been going out for a while, I never bought her flowers. Not once. I thought it was just a mere cliche act.

There was this other time where I forgot her birthday. My best friend, V, called me the next day saying that she waited all night for me to call her. But I was too busy with my work that night. V told me to apologize to her and I barely agreed. Well, to him. At that time, I was too engulfed in my pride, my ego and my selfishness. 

I shake away the memories that are still lingering at the back of my head. I take a look at my watch and realize that it is nearly the time. I get up and walk out of the room with heavy footsteps. 

I enter another room just at the end of the hall. There, I can see a visage, dressed beautifully in a white dress with laces around the hem. The silk silhouette causes the drapings of the dress to fall gracefully onto the floor. She twirled around and smiles winsomely at me. Her long brunette hair is knitted into a bun and she looks gorgeous as ever. I sigh. She never did smile like that when I was with her.

"How do I look? Am I pretty?" she asked. I simply nod and try to give her the best smile I can even when my heart is broken on the inside.

"It's almost time. See you at the aisle," I utter. Afterwards, I excuse myself and perambulate to the hall. Everyone is waiting for the bride. A huge crowd fills the entire wedding hall, mostly family and friends. I make my way to V who is standing just metres away from the other groomsmen. He seems nervous as he keeps on fidgeting. Well, he should be. It is his wedding day.

Minutes later, the bride enters the hall and she walks along the aisle, linking arms with her father. She looks happy, very happy. I fix my eyes on her the whole time and an air of deep and irredeemable gloom hang over me. After exchanging vows, she is finally somebody else's wife. She is no longer mine.

During the wedding reception, I cannot help but feel devastated. Regret rushed through my veins, for my harsh actions towards her. This feeling haunts me ever since we parted. I wish I can tell her how I really feel, I wish to tell her that I was wrong, I wish that she is mine again. I was too young at that time. I didn't realize that I was in love with her the whole time.

But now everything has change. I did not expect for her to leave me, especially for my own best friend. Although, I guess I do deserve it. V treats her better than I did, always by her side when I wasn't. I blinked back tears that threaten to overcome me. It's too late now. There's nothing that I can do to wash this regret away.

At least she's happy now. This is my last resort. I might have mistreated her, but now, I am letting her go. For the sake of her happiness. This is the final effort I can make to return the smile back on her face.