Guilty

Guilty

Hi, everybody.
I'm taking a brief break now and then, between chapters of Silver Lining.
I got the inspiration to write this one shot from my friend who already has kids.

I hope you enjoy this story.
So, without further ado~

***

"Just keep the change. Thanks, uncle," she said while getting out of the cab she took from the airport. She just came back from Busan for the opening day ceremony of her new restaurant branch in Nampo-dong.

 

Adjusting her big leather tote bag on her shoulder and a medium hand carry travel bag in her hand, she walked through the front door of her apartment lobby. The security nodded respectfully. She returned the nod and smiled at the guy who was doing his night shift.

 

The caramel colored hair woman took out her purse from inside her tote bag before getting into an elevator. After she inserted the card and pressed the number of her floor, she leaned on the mirrored wall of the moving platform, waiting to be carried upwards.

 

The elevator door slid open with a ding, showing a warm foyer decorated with a side table and arranged flowers in a pot sitting prettily on it. Behind the flowers was a painting of Eiffel Tower at the afternoon, a painting they bought in Paris a two years ago.

 

She took of her stilettos and put them in the built-in shoe cabinet on the left side of the foyer. Glancing at her wristwatch she thought of her dearies and the quiet apartment.

 

"They must be sleeping by now," she mumbled.

 

She made her way towards her children's bedroom. Pushing the door a little, she took a peek inside before going into the room which was painted light blue with white swirling clouds motive. The light was turned off, only a dim bed lamp was on, so the kids were not afraid should they were left alone.

 

She walked to her daughter's bed, the eldest kid. Seeing how she slept on her side, soundly, with a slightly opened mouth reminded her of the kid's dad who also sleep with such habit.

 

Fixing her daughter's blanket, she muttered while smiling, "Like father, like daughter." She then the four years old girl's hair endearingly before kissing her forehead, "I miss you, sweetheart. Sleep tight, mummy loves you."

 

Then she moved to a crib where her baby boy was sleeping. She had to suppress her chuckle at the sight of her son. The nine months old boy was sleeping with one of his leg was up on the side.

 

"I think this is what I got for scolding Sooyoung so much when I carried him in my belly," she grinned.

 

She lifted up her son's body a little, adjusting his sleeping position just to make it more comfortable. She caressed the soft chubby cheek and hair before giving his forehead a light kiss.

 

"Mommy misses you too, baby-ah. . . Sleep tight, I love you," she whispered.

 

By then she noticed the small round lump near her baby son's temple. The lump was rather red with slightly bluish ring around it. She touched it to feel that swelling was tender.

 

"What had happened to him? Fall down or something?" she asked herself while giving the lump a careful pressure, massaging it. The baby stirred in his sleep, but thankfully didn't wake up.

 

Not wanting to disturb his slumber, she refrained her massaging. She kissed him once more before going out of the kids' bedroom while making a mental note to ask Sungmin oppa about the swelling first thing tomorrow morning.

 

When she entered her room which was just across the kid's room, the light was turned off already. Deciding not to wake her husband with the sudden brightness should she the light, she walked slowly and carefully towards the dressing room to change her clothes in the dark.

 

She was about to open the door to dressing room when she heard her husband snapped, sending her jerking on her stand, "Why do you come back behind schedule?"

 

"Oppa. . . I thought you are sleeping," she answered.

 

She opened the door to her dressing room, just to put her bags on the cushy bench beside the door, and walked towards her husband. She the bedside table on Sungmin's side and just to be greeted by his gloomy expression.

 

"What's wrong, Oppa?" Sunny sat beside him on the bed, facing him.

 

"Why do you need to prolong the visit?" asked him, his tone was cold.

 

"Eh, you asked me why? Didn't I told you already when I called yesterday? Something went wrong with the gas pipe so I had to ask someone from the gas department to check and fix it," answered Sunny. Her face was frowning in confusion.

 

"What is the use of hiring area manager and supervisors if you couldn't let them do their jobs?"

 

"The gas leaked when the customers were there. I stayed for the damage control," she huffed loudly. Her face turned dark. "You know, Oppa, if you want to fight, well, I'm not in the mood for it."

 

Sunny got up from the bed and was about to walk off when Sungmin grabbed her wrist.

 

"I'mtheworstdaddy," he mumbled incoherently at first.

 

She turned her head to his direction. Sungmin, however, hung his head low and slumped his shoulders. He stared at a brown teddy bear which she knew was their daughter's. She felt her heart grow weak at the sight, although slightly puzzled of why he held the plushy bear and why she didn't realize it before. The anger that was boiling inside was suddenly vaporized, although she actually could not hear his words properly.

 

"What is it, Oppa?"

 

"I. . . am the worst daddy for Eunsun ," he spoke slowly this time.

 

"Hey," she sat back on the bed on the same position as before, releasing his grip on her wrist just to hold it back in hers. "What makes you say that, Oppa?"

 

Her voice was tender and concerned, yet it still could not make Sungmin raised his head. He fiddled the teddy bear's furry arm with his left hand. Sunny gave his hand a light squeeze to encourage him to spill more.

 

"I. . . Last night Eunsun was playing with Jaesun stroller while he was sleeping in it. She rocked the stroller back and forth. . ."

 

"And?" she urged him to continue, even though she knew where his confession would lead.

 

"I felt so tired yesterday, so I drifted off on the couch nearby. But suddenly I heard the stroller tumbled loudly. Jaesun was crying very loudly. I picked him up and shushed him. But I couldn't control my anger. After I put Jaesun in his crib, I came back to Eunjung. She stood still on her position. I could see guilt in her face, but I am too furious to stop."

 

Sunny was his hand with her thumb when he pulled it and squeezed the plushy bear firmly instead.

 

"I yanked her shoulder roughly and yelled at her. I picked her up to punish her and at that moment, I could feel her trembling body. She cried, saying "I'm scared, Daddy. I'm scared." When she said that, I finally came to my senses. I tried talking to her, but she grew timid. She didn't talk to me nor did she come near her brother and play, even until today."

 

He let go off the teddy bear and pressed his temples with both of his hands, "I made her scared of me. I'm the worst daddy ever."

 

Sunny stayed silent for a while, digesting the confession. Her hunch about the cause of swelling on her son was correct, but she never imagined that it happened like that. She stared at her husband who was now holding his legs - which were under the blanket - in his arms. He rested his head on his knees. She could even sniff his frustration in the air, and strangely she found that a bit funny.

 

"Aaaw. . . So, daddy is feeling guilty?" Sunny tried to joke with him. She poked his arm and pinched it playfully.

 

Getting no respond from him, she placed her palms on his cheeks, pulling it upwards so his eyes leveled hers. "Listen to me, daddy honey. Accident like that is common to happen. I know you feel guilty about it, and the fact that Eunsun gave you a silent treatment makes it worse. But trust me, she will soon forget that accident and be all lovely to you again."

 

As he was staring into his wife's eyes, he couldn't help but felt grateful to have this wonderful woman by his side. Her eyes were staring at him was so lovely, tender and caring that he was lost in the calming sense it radiated.

 

She continued when her husband still seemed to lost his voice, "What if we make it up for her, Daddy?"

 

"How?" her husband asked.

 

"Well, tomorrow's Saturday right? Let's take her to a fun place," she suggested, now placing her hands on his broad shoulders.

 

"Lotte World?"

 

"Hmm. . . Sounds fun, but it's such a hassle to go there while bringing Jaesun with us. What about Aquarium? She is mad about fish recently, right? Thanks to Taeyeon's pop-up book present. You could try to talk to her there."

 

She saw him frowning and guessed that perhaps he was weighing the idea. She smiled again before pulling him in to her embrace. His head was rested on her chest, "Now now. . . Don't worry, Daddy. Trust me, the plan will work wonderfully."

 

He hugged her waist in response, letting the soothing feeling seeped into his mind. Being in her embrace like this reminded him of the other feeling he felt during his wife's three days trip plus one to Busan. He missed her. The soft flesh of her, the smell of perfume on her clothes, the warmth from her body, were enough to make him dreaded the nights he has to spend alone without her. That was why he let out a scowl when she parted the embrace.

 

"Where are you going?" he asked when Sunny hoisted herself up from the bed. He caught her wrist once more.

 

"I'm going to take a bath, Oppa. Do you want to sleep with stinky wife?" asked her jokingly.

 

"Can I come with you?" he smirked.

 

Sunny stared at him dumbfounded. She knocked his head lightly.

 

"ert. I know what that smirk means. I'm taking a bath. Alone. I want to sleep, not to have you inside my pants."

 

"Stingy," Sungmin let go off her hands, leaned back on the head of the bed, sulking. His wife could only shake her head at his behavior.

 

-----

 

"Woah! Look at that, Umma! A strange stingray!" the excited girl tugged her mother by her hand, urging her mom to walk faster toward the big tunnel where they can walk under the aquatic life.

 

Sunny chuckled to see her daughter was so excited ever since they stepped into this educative recreational place. It fascinates both parents how Eunsun was displaying a great deal of intelligence in early age by naming most of the fish there. Sunny realized though, that if Eunsun was into something, she went all out to learn about it.

 

"That was not stingray, honey. See, the placard said it was an angel shark. It's harmless, and it doesn't eat meat," Sunny corrected by reading the metal placard on the low wall.

 

"Why is it similar to stingray, Umma?" she innocently asked.

 

Sunny has to rack her brain to reply appropriately, "Hmm. . . Remember llamas and camels you see on TV, sweetheart? They have similar face, right, but they are not one family. Stingrays and angel sharks are also like that."

 

They continued walking through the tunnel. Sunny with Eunsun, while Sungmin was carrying Jaesun using baby carrier and showing him the aquatic creatures. It was apparent that Eunsun avoided Sungmin still, although the little girl would answered if asked. That made Sungmin cast worried look to Sunny numerous times. Sunny on the other hand, was just smiling reassuringly.

 

"Mom, can we go back to touch pool?" Eunsun asked after they finished their tour inside the tunnel.

 

"Of course. But can you go with Daddy? I need to change Jaesun's diaper," asked Sunny. It would be the right moment, Sunny thought. Eunsun didn't answer, so Sunny led her to her father.

 

"Daddy, Eunsun wants to see the touch pool again. Can you please accompany her?" the tiny mother spoke on behalf of Eunsun. "Let me carry Jaesun. I want to check his diaper anyway."

 

Sungmin handed Jaesun to Sunny and helped her adjusted the front baby carrier. Before she left the two alone, she put her hand on his shoulder, tiptoed a little, while whispering into his ear, "Do well, Daddy." She then left them with a cute wink to her husband.

 

"Eunsun-ah, let's go," Sungmin took his daughter hand in him.

 

Sungmin was trying to create a conversation with his little one. However, just like how her parents were, this one was also stubborn. It was hard to make her talk.

 

They had arrived beside the touch pool. Sungmin squatted behind his daughter and positioned Eunsun between his bent legs. "Can you reach the turtle?"

 

Eunsun tried to extend her arms, but the tiny hand was still far from the wiggling target. Sungmin chuckled at the cute attempt. He stood up and hoisted Eunsun to the water surface so she could reach the turtle.

 

"The head is also hard, Daddy," she finally talked. Sungmin felt relieved.

 

"Yes, of course. The head and the legs can hide inside its shell, you know," Sungmin explained to his daughter.

 

"Of course I know. Even babies know that, Daddy," she turned her head to Sungmin, her eyebrows frowned disapprovingly.

 

Sungmin was baffled by his daughter mock mature act. He laughed and set his daughter on the floor before attacking her with tickling. "What did you just say?"

 

Eunsun was laughing hysterically, trying so hard to block Sungmin's hand from getting any closer to her waist, but no avail, "Stop, Daddy, stop! It's ticklish, stop!"

 

After a while, Sungmin stopped teasing his daughter. He squatted and pulled her into his embrace.

 

"Daddy's sorry, Eunsun. Sorry for getting so angry at you two nights ago," he pulled apart, and looked into the little girl's innocent eyes. "Daddy loves you so much, but he was tired that night. Plus seeing your brother was in pain, made me scared a lot."

 

Eunsun stared at his father, her eyes somehow lost its twinkles. After contemplating a while, she said, "Eunsun is a bad girl. Eunsun is a bad sister for Jaesun."

 

"No, no. You are not a bad girl. You are a good girl and a nice one. But you only made a mistake that night. Every body makes mistake. Daddy did too, right? So we will say sorry to each other and you should be cheery to Daddy again, ok? Daddy's sad to see you so quiet lately. And you avoided Daddy at home."

 

Eunsun nodded, "I'm sorry, Daddy."

 

"I'm sorry too, Eunsun," Sungmin said. "Now, give Daddy's a hug, how's that?"

 

Eunsun immediately circled her tiny arms around Sungmin's neck, hugging her daddy ever so tightly. Sungmin responded just the same, while hoisted her up in his arm, carrying her.

 

"Aaww... So, Eunsun and Daddy have agreed to be friends again?" Sunny who was hiding behind a pillar all this time to watch the moment suddenly appeared beside them. The two turned their head in her direction to shoot her the super similar toothy grins.

 

"Aaw... You two are just too cute," the tiny mother kissed both of her dearies on their cheeks. "Also, Eunsun, Jaesun told me that he misses playing with his noona."

 

Eunsun reached to Jaesun while Sungmin was still holding her in his arms. The eldest kid hugged her baby brother endearingly, saying, "Noona will play with Jaesun later, okay. Now Noona wants to play with the fish here. Jaesun cannot play because Jaesun doesn't understand yet," before letting go of her brother.

 

The parents looked at each other lovingly. They obviously enjoyed that very moment, mentally taking picture of the moment in their heads. Sungmin set down Eunsun who wanted to touch urchins for some more time with the promise to eat right after. He took a brief time to steal his wife's quick peck on the lips before saying, "I don't want her to grow up. I really don't."

 

Sunny chuckled at her husbands' word. She side hugged his waist, watching their daughter got so excited to touch the baby sea creatures in the touch pool.

 

***

 

Too long it seems? Sorry >.<
I just hope that it doesn't turn out boring.

Btw, feel free to read my other stories if you haven't, and let me know what you think :)
Until the next update! :)

http://www.asianfanfics.com/profile/view_author_stories/368510
 

For those who has never been inside COEX Aquarium (me neither in this case), I'm posting the link of its map here, hoping that you could get a better picture in your head about that recreational place :) 

sdaRulo.gif