III

My Childhood Hero

Taemin looked around at all the couches in Ikea. This is like couch heaven, he thought, touching a smooth silky leather couch’s arm. He sat in the couch and pressed a random button. He started to feel scared and confused as if he had broken the couch when it started to vibrate. Kibum started to walk over to show Taemin a cool camera when he saw the younger about to burst into tears, sitting on the vibrating chair.

“What’s wrong, Taemin!” Kibum cried, voice screaming with concern.

“I broke the couch! It’s shaking!” Taemin let out. Kibum started laughing.

“Aww, you’re too cute. It’s okay; it’s supposed to do that!” Kibum laughed. Taemin froze in his spot, and eventually started to laugh along with Kibum. Kibum pressed the button to make it stop, and put up the foot rest.

“See? The couch can do all sorts of stuff, no need to cry about it!” Kibum cheered up the younger. Taemin smiled, getting up from the couches. They walked over to the organization section.

“Dad told us to get organization things for your room. What about this for like your clothes?” Kibum suggested, pointing at a black drawer thingy with clear draws inside. Taemin shook his head yes. Kibum put it on the roller and continued shopping.

“This lamp is so cool!” Taemin said, looking at the tall red multi-lamped pole.

“It would go with your room. Plus it’s really pretty. Okay.” He put the pole onto the roller, walking along with Taemin by his side.

There was a huge Ikea truck waiting outside of the building when the family was finished checking out. The workers from Ikea had loaded all of the furniture onto the truck, and waiting for the Kim’s to get into their car so they could follow them to the location in which they unload the truck.

The ride back included no exciting events, unless your definition of excitement is 2 little boys texting each other’s friend(s) and a father concentrating on the road. It was silent- except for the sounds the boys phones were making when they received a new text. Taemin thought this was one of the longest car rides he had ever endured. He was texting Minho again, who was going on vacation to Paris, France. Taemin knew a lot about Paris. It was the city of love- very cliché to him. Minho was going with his new family, and they were going on a major shopping spree there, just like Taemin was out shopping. Taemin was really happy when Minho had messaged Taemin saying he would get him a souvenir. That was the highlight of Taemin's day so far.

Meanwhile Kibum had been texting his best friend Jonghyun about how cute his little brother was. He honestly hadn’t stopped talking about him since last week even before he came! He was pretty excited, and Jonghyun wanted to see him so badly! He had told Onew about him too, and Onew also wanted to see him. Kibum was still telling them details through a group chat when Onew suggested that he and Taemin should take an instagram photo or a vine so they could see Taemin. Since instagram got video, he decided to take an instagram video, combining the suggestions into one great idea. But they would have to wait until him and Taemin became closer. So he told Onew that instead to just come over and meet him. But since they were all in different countries right now, they couldn’t. So they had to wait until school started, which was even harder to get through. But Kibum promised them that they would come over and meet his brother.

After what seemed like 30 days on the road, the Ikea truck unloaded all of the furniture. Kibum and Taemin were both still in the car texting away because their Dad was going to drop them off at a shopping center to go shop for clothes and other school supplies, while their parents organized Taemin's room. This whole “unloading” project took a half an hour at the least. Finally, their dad came back into the car starting it immediately. They got to the shopping center, quickly jumping out of the car.

“Be back in 3 hours. Stay safe, and don’t lose each other.” Their dad instructed as he drove off. They quickly ran into the first store, STAPLES. When they opened the door, cool air touched Taemin’s milky white skin. He instantly started observing the place using his five senses. He couldn’t help it; it was sort of a force of habit. The store looked clean and neat, and very well organized. It smelled like that “back to school” smell, and had that “back to school” feel. He couldn’t taste it, but considering the items in it office wise, had very good taste of organization. It was rather quiet in the store, except for a few mumbles from people picking things out and the beeps from the registers for check out.

“Okay, you need 6 notebooks, 6 folders, and at least 2 pencil cases for starters. As do I,” Kibum scared Taemin by putting 12 notebooks and folders in his arms, followed by 4 pencil cases the colors of blue and black. Kibum continued walking down the aisle, picking things up as he added, “And 3 binders, 10 packs of post its, and 4 packs of pencils. You need lots of pencils because people like to steal pencils, especially when they’re not in your locker.” Taemin's eyes shot open when he heard the special word. He had always wanted lockers; he had only seen them in movies. He now couldn’t wait for third grade.

“When does school start?” Taemin asked.

“It depends, “said Kibum, “What’s today?”

“Saturday.”

“School starts next Wednesday.” Kibum informed the younger, putting 6 binders, 20 packs of post-it notes and 8 packs of pencils in his arms. It was starting to hurt Taemin, but he didn’t want to upset the older, so he kept his feelings inside. Key grabbed even more stuff, explaining what each item was needed for.

“We’ll need Elmer’s cement for project when we need something stronger and safer than glue. We need colored paper also for projects, and crayons and markers and paints in jars, “He kept on stacking things into Taemin's arms. Taemin tried his best to keep his tears in, but one eventually shed.

“Papers with 3 holes for our Japanese binders and English binders, and- Taemin! Why are you crying?!” Kibum explained, shocked when he turned to look at the youngers wet face.

“It’s okay, there’s an eyelash in my eye. It’s out now.” Taemin said, faking a smile. Kibum relaxed and continued grabbing stuff.

“In 5th grade, you have to have a letter stationary for your pen pals we get. This year we get Pen Pals from China! I’m so excited, aren’t you? I hope I get one that’s into fashion!” Kibum turned to look at Taemin’s confused face.

“Oh yeah, I forgot. Dad told me to tell you that you’re going to be in 5th grade instead of 3rd, because of you being so smart.” Kibum explained, pinching Taemin’s cheek. Taemin nodded his head, remembering the test he got back at the orphanage. He had over the average, the average being 500 and him getting an 880. The admins were amazed. Taemin had wished the test was harder. He had only gotten 20 points off for spelling. Then Taemin got excited. He remembered that Minho was also in 5th grade! But, are they going to the same schools?

“Kibum- hyung, what’s our school called” Taemin asked. Kibum spun around to look at him.

“Lee Minhee Academy, why?” Kibum asked, tilting his head to the side. Taemin smiled wide.

“Nothing. My best friend goes to that school.” Taemin replied. Kibum chuckled at the little boys’ happy face.

“Is he in fifth grade, too? Maybe I know him.” Kibum asked. Taemin nodded his head.

“His name is Choi Minho. We’ve known each other since we were both 2.” Taemin told Kibum. Kibum’s head jerked up in shock. He knew Minho well, but how could he tell Taemin that he bullies his own best friend with his friends?

“Oh, yeah, I know him alright. Hey can you grab those pens for me. 4 packs. We need those for science. Very important.” Taemin looked at Kibum, expressing how his hands were kind of full. Kibum got the message and got the pens instantly topping his pile.

“Oh yeah! Book covers! And locker lights for me! Would you like a locker chandelier? They’re really pretty!” Kibum asked. Taemin shrugged his shoulders, but Kibum ran to the locker aisle and he ended up getting one. By then to pile was over Taemin’s head. They had gotten even the littlest things like sharpeners and eraser tops for pencils and regular erasers, staplers and dividers, little whiteboards for Kibum’s locker only, a mirror also for Kibum’s locker, and two combination locks, and a combination lock case also for Kibum. They walked up to the register with the mountain of school supplies.

“You’re total is 298,000 won.” The clerk told Kibum. Kibum stretched into his pants and pulled out his wallet, grabbing 500,000 won from the money pocket. Taemin’s jaw dropped. He had never seen so much won before.

“This becomes your allowance. You’ll get used to it,” Kibum smiled.

“Awesome.” Taemin's exclaimed.

When they got there change they left to go to the clothing store. Taemin wasn’t a big fan of clothes, but considering Kibum’s squeal when they stepped inside of the market, Taemin could tell that clothes were his thing. Kibum was already grabbing clothes for Taemin to try on.

“Wait- what size are you?” Kibum asked, not waiting for an answer as he checked the tags on the back of his clothes.

“Okay. Extra small and extra small in pants. God you’re skinny.” Kibum said, running off to get cloths in the dark store.

This time the building smelled like new clothes mixed with extra perfume and looked like a humungous 1 story house with 5 stalls in the back of one room next to a desk. The whole store itself was dark and loud with pumping music. It had a mall-like taste and it made Taemin feel uncomfortable around all of these expensive clothes and shoes. Taemin did not like Hollister at all. It smelled too weird.

“Look! Do you like them?” Kibum asked. Taemin nodded. He did like the cloths. Taemin did think he looked good in red, and his favorite color was yellow, and almost everything Kibum got for him was one of those two colors or white.

“Kibum hyung, how are you not choking on the mixture of strong colognes and perfumes in the air?” Taemin asked.

“Because I have almost all of the colognes here, and I’m used to the smell.” He responded, smiling. Taemin rolled his eyes. They went to check out, falling into another expensive price. There were already enough bags from staples; did they need another total of 16 from Hollister?!?!

“One more thing, book bags!” Kibum ran into a Korean bag store called Sobo’s. In there were every kind of bag invented. They quickly walked to the book bag section.

“I like this one, gives me an on campus look, don’t you think?” Kibum asked, modeling a tan bag. Taemin nodded, smiling at this fashionista in front of his eyes. He picked up a black and grey and white plaid back pack.

“I think you would look good with this.” Kibum suggested and Taemin agreed. He did like plaid. They checked out there book bags, yet the last expensive price today (good thing Taemin didn’t see the price tag at ikea)

“You’re really good at shopping,” Taemin complimented Kibum, making the older blush.

“Thanks. It comes from reading magazines.” Kibum said proudly.

“Are you popular?” Taemin asked Kibum. Kibum laughed at the question.

“I don’t like the idea of popularity but I would say I am. I just know that I’m liked by almost the whole entire student body. Just one person doesn’t like me. But I don’t wanna talk about it.”

“Okay. I hope I become popular just like you, hyung.”

“Maybe you will. Just hang out with the right people. Like me.” Kibum instructed, flipping his brown hair.

“Do you use you’re five senses to observe your surroundings like me?” Taemin asked curiously. Kibum raised an eyebrow.

“Not usually, why?” Kibum asked, starting to feel awkward.

“I don’t know. I usually do. That’s how I was taught. I thought me and Minho weren’t the only ones, but it seems we are.” Taemin laughed. Both heads jerked to the right as they heard a car horn from that side. A black SUV was making its way to the boys.

“Can’t wait to see you’re new room? Come on kiddos, and Taemin. Whatever you do, DO NOT TOUCH THE WALLS. There is red paint on them and you’re wearing white. Put the bags in the trunk, Kibum. Why did you buy so much?” Their dad ranted on. Taemin laughed at this. He thought that he would have to start getting used to the ranting, although he had never heard his parents rant like that. Not like he had heard his real parents talk before.  Taemin felt his phone vibrate, and knew who it was by instinct. It was Minho, most likely to tell him about his new big sister Victoria. He put in the password of his phone and retrieved the message.

From: Choi Minho

Omo! I know you must be busy shopping with your new big brother, but my big sister is so pretty! Her name is Victoria, but I told you that! I wish she would’ve been here on my arrival, eh?

So how’s shopping with Kibummie-hyung? Did I tell you he goes to my school? But I don’t wanna talk about it… It may drift you away from your first big brother…

Taemin read the second part of the message over and over again. Why can’t they just tell him their relationship status? Is it bad? Is it closer than Kibum and he were themselves? Closer than Minho and him?

To: Choi Minho

Tell me!!! Talk about it, I have time. I’m in the car coming home from Hollister is it? Something like that. Just please tell me! No matter what, I will always be your best friend.

Taemin took out his headphones and started listening to blasting music. He was easily frustrated, and that is what was happening now. He just wanted to know if they were friends or not. Anything else, he could take?

But what was awaiting him was not expected.

From: Choi Minho

Okay, okay. Me and your brother aren’t friends. Actually, he bullies me. Nothing major, mostly his friends do it. But he leads them onto me. But it’s okay! As long as you’re happy, I’m happy. And if that’s what makes them happy is bullying me, than I’m happy, too.

Taemin felt tears stinging his eyes. He yanked his headphones out of his ears and tapped Kibum’s shoulder. Kibum looked up from his instagram to see his baby brother in tears.

“Why do you do that? Bullying my only friend?” Taemin’s face was now wet with tears. Kibum felt his heart sink. He was going to find out eventually, but he didn’t know the time would be now.

“I don’t know.” Kibum answered truthfully. Taemin cried even more. Kibum tried to take him into his embrace, but Taemin wiggled out quickly.

“Don’t touch me! You might bully me, too!” He whispered.

“I would never bully you. Your too cute.”

“So your saying Minho is ugly?” Taemin gasped. By now Kibum felt he was hopeless in making this situation better. He would tell the youngest that he could stop, but that would ruin his reputation.

“You have to bully him, don’t you? You can’t even try to stop, because your too popular, right? I take back what I said in the mall, I don’t ever want to be popular like you, I just wanna be liked for who I am. Minho has a really tough past, and you can’t even consider that? How stuck up can you get? Minho’s parents died right in front of his eyes, they were murdered right in his face, and you have the guts to bully him?” Taemin explained, tears running down his face more.

“Taemin I didn’t know…”

“I don’t care! Even if you didn’t know or did know, no one deserves to get bullied. How would you like it if you were in Minho’s position, and he was bullying you? Not good, right? But I guess you’re too conceited to even realize. He even said that he doesn’t care as it makes you guys happy. Your bullying my first friend in the whole entire world, and my only friend. He taught me how to climb trees, use chopsticks, and play soccer. This is completely unfair to both me and him. What’s wrong with him that you guys have to bully him about it? You honestly shouldn’t be jealous money wise, so what’s wrong with him. He loves water so I’m almost 100% positive he washes every night, so he can’t smell. His dad also took him shopping for good clothes, does he look that bad? And he’s the nicest person I’ve ever seen or met, so he most likely doesn’t bully you, am I right?”

Kibum started feeling tears in his eyes. “I don’t know why I do it. Probably because I would lose my best friends in the process. I didn’t mean to hurt him, and we don’t touch him I swear! We just ask him to do stuff for us and threat him if he doesn’t and . That’s it. No punches or anything. Swear on it.” Kibum explained, tears starting to fall. He felt bad now, because he didn’t think Minho had a past like that. He would’ve never thought that.

Meanwhile, Taemin was furious at his boiling point. He hated the fact that his best friend was getting bullied. Why are there such evil people in this world? Why couldn’t everything be fair. For once Taemin was starting to trust new people, and then he gets thrown off like this? He was lucky he was still deciding if he should give Kibum a chance to fix it.

“Look, prove to me next week at school that you’ll stop by just saying 2 words. I’m sorry. Okay?” Taemin settled. Kibum nodded, although he had to try to convince Jonghyun to stop, too. It shouldn’t be that hard, we could just bully another nerd, or tease girls.

“Okay. I’ll do that.” Kibum agreed. Taemin smiled and hugged Kibum.

“I knew you weren’t a bad person.” Taemin sighed into Kibum’s chest.

They finally arrived to their home, both boys running out of the car immediately. Kibum unlocked the door, and they both ran in quickly, sliding their shoes off and running up the long set of stairs, going to the hall way to the left. They opened Taemin’s room door to reveal a stunning sight. His room was bright cherry red with some white things, too. His loft bed was red and white, a nice red comforter and mix match pillows. He had a desk with a brand new MacBook on top of it. The couch under the loft bed was red, and it was a swing. In the front of the room was a white plasma screen TV with plastic being taken off, now that the walls were dry. There were too red bean bag chairs in the middle of the hard wood floor. 2 white book shelves near the window with a cushioned seat of white in the middle with 2 small red pillows. On one side there was a bathroom, a huge one at that, and on the opposite side, a humungous walk in closet. It was perfect! Taemin ran to hug his father in thanks.

“Thank you so much, Appa! I love you I love you I loooooooove you!” Taemin shouted with glee. Kibum watched to the side, still thinking about his task. He dialed in Jonghyun’s number. It took at least 5 rings for him to pick up.

“Yeoboseyo?” Jonghyun responded quietly through the phone. Kibum would of asked why he was so quiet suddenly, since usually he answers so enthusiastically, but he decided to push it aside.

“Hey. So you know that kid we usually bully? Minho?” Kibum asked, sounding kind of shy.

“Yeah…” Jonghyun trailed off. Kibum sighed.

“How about we give it a rest?”

“Why?” Kibum sighed. How could he tell Jonghyun that his new little brother’s best friend was the one we bully?

“I just feel bad for the guy. No one likes him and…”

“You’re lying. Be honest.” Jonghyun interrupted. Now Kibum gulped.

“Okay. That’s my new little brother’s best friend we’re bullying,” I explained slowly, walking into my room.  Jonghyun stayed silent.

“Hello?”

“Why are you so concerned about your brother so suddenly? You barely know him, yet you’ve been talking about him all the time recently.”

“I guess I’m a little too excited about the fact that I the almighty Kibum have a baby brother.”

Little brother,” Jonghyun corrected Kibum.

“Okay, okay. And I just want to make him happy, I’m sure he’ll want to do the same for me. So can we stop?” Kibum tried again. It was Jonghyun’s turn to sigh.

“Ok. We’ll stop bullying him.” Jonghyun finally agreed. Kibum squealed into the phone.

“Thanks! I’ll text you?” Kibum said.

“Yeah, talk to you later!” Jonghyun exclaimed and hung up.

“Thanks, hyung. That means a lot to me, not bullying Minho and all,” Taemin said, leaning in the door way. Kibum jumped a foot in the air, startled out of his mind. Then he let what the younger said sink in.

“No problem.”

“Umm, hyung? I’m kind of scared of being in a new room for the first time, and plus I’m still afraid of the dark. Could you-“

“Yes, Taemin, I would love to sleep with you in your room tonight. Just let me get changed.” Kibum smiled. Taemin smiled back and skipped to his room. Kibum slipped on some pink basketball shorts and a loose t-shirt. Turning his light off, he walked to Taemin’s room quietly. He shut the door slowly, not making a sound. Taemin was still up, looking at a book he had picked out today from his already filled bookshelf. Kibum walked over to Taemin and sat down next to him when he received a text from his mother.

From: Mom

Dinner is downstairs. Hope you’re craving Tteobeokki and rice J Your father and I will be home shortly, probably and 10. Make Taemin feel at home! Love you.

Kibum sent back a simple okay and passed down the message to Taemin. Then an idea struck him.

“Hey, wanna play?” Kibum asked.

“Huh?” Taemin looked confused. Kibum chuckled at his innocence.

“We could go in my parent’s room now. The hot tub or the roof?” Kibum smirked evilly at his little brother, making the other laugh.

“Well, I guess I would say the roof. Seems a bit calmer, you know?” Taemin asked, putting his book back in the correct spot of his bookshelf.

“How do you know where you got the book from?” Kibum asked curiously. Taemin laughed.

“I sorted all my books out alphabetically, so I’ll know where each one is. Except for one shelf is filled with books that have memories. They’re sorted out by color.” Taemin explained.

“You’re so organized. It’s scary.” Kibum pointed out, making the younger blush. They started walking towards their parent’s room. Taemin still was amazed by the size, even though he’s been in the room before. He let Kibum guide the way to a window. They climbed through it, then started to climb up the wall ladder that led to the roof. Taemin took in the beautiful sight of Seoul in. It was overall stunning. The way the city lights were slowing turning on as the sun set was completely beautiful. Taemin reached over to snuggle on Kibum’s lap. Kibum hugged his brother with feeling, but at the same time very gently.

“Kibum, can I call you Kibummie?” Taemin asked suddenly.

“As long as I can call you Taeminnie.” Kibum agreed. Taemin nodded his head.

“Um, Kibummie, I have a question?”

“Yes, Taeminnie?”

“Well, I was wondering if you think I’m normal…” Taemin trailed off. Kibum eyebrows furrowed together.

“Of course. Why would you not be?” Kibum asked. Taemin sighed.

“Because, I think I like you. Not like a brother though. More than a brother.” Taemin confessed. Key let out a slow breath.

“It’s okay. You can like whoever you want. You’re still normal in my eyes. And I like you, too. Like that.” Taemin smiled. He was happy that his brother excepted him for who he was.

“So do you want to be my boyfriend?” Kibum asked a minute later.

“Sure!” Taemin said, smiling once more. “Just promise me that you’ll never leave me.” Taemin requested.

“I promise I’ll never ever leave you. Pinky swears.” Kibum promised, linking the tow’s pinkies together.

~

A/N

*Just so you guys know, my authors notes are in the stories feed, but not today!

 I sort of finished the story all on word, but I am still debating if I should update it all together. I just know that I want this to be a trilogy. Only because this time rate in their lives will be going extra slow. So sorry. But I need to get the details in. But don’t worry, even when you’re young, angst comes in. I also have been writing a book, it’s called Happiness.  I might also publish that one here, too. It’s Taekey, and like this fanfic, it goes very slow in time until the day they die. It’s sad, and I’m almost finished it. I was crying while writing it. Boo hoo!

To add on to my very long author’s note, I wanted to clear a few things.

First of all, thank you for my first comment on this fic and my subbies! I love you guys so much!

Second, the couples in here are Jongho and Taekey. Possibly Ontae, but mostly Taekey/Jongho.

Third, there is no in here what so ever*

*exception of… ? Maybe…

Lastly, Onew is in this fanfic. I am one to never ever leave out a band member in a fanfic. Onew’s role in this story is Kibum’s cousin, which can be read more about in the foreword. He comes in a little bit later in the story, after school has started. I’ll give you a hint… he lives in China… ;)

So yeah! Until next time!!!!