Sulli

Star That I Can't Reach

*The italic word means flashback.

 

Chapter 2

 

Minho spread butter on the surface of the bread, then he sprinkle granules of chocolate on the bread. He took another piece of bread and put it on bread before, complete the sandwich that he has made to be eaten at breakfast.

As he was about to put the bread into his mouth, he looked up, glanced at the girl with a ponytail hair sitting in front of him, "You want it?"

Sulli, the girl, nodded.

"This is for you," Minho gave his bread to Sulli, but she shook her head as she rounded her cheeks.

"But, I want it with strawberry jam," she said, pointing to a red jam that is almost depleted.

Minho pulled the hem of his lips, then make a sandwich according to her request. He her hair gently after giving bread which is ready to eat, "Eat this, Sulli."

Then, Sulli eat that. She spent that bread is just a few bites, also did not forget to praise her brother who has made a very tasty bread. She asked with a mouth full of food, "Is Daddy going home today?"

Minho's face then changed, a smile that was on his face after receiving praise from his sister suddenly disappeared, "No." he replied.

"Why?"

"Because he is busy."

"How did you know?"

"Because he called me."

"You said he is busy but how could he call you?"

"Because he knew you would ask to me."

Sulli pursed her lips. She deletes the rest jam around her lips with the back of her hands, "Why he never called me and always call you?" she grumbled.

Minho just give a flat smile. Secretly, he glanced at a figura hanging in the living room with a feeling of sadness. He looked down, devouring the sandwiches he made before with teary eyes.

"Oppa, if he called again..." Sulli hanging her sentence, "Hm ... could you ask him to call me?" she continued timidly.

Minho dumbfounded. His mouth stopped chewing and the bread just fell from his hand on the plate, "C-call you?"

Sulli nodded, then gulped down a glass of milk which Minho prepared for her.

"All right, I'll say it to father next time when he called again," Minho said softly.

Then silence fills the space between them, drowning Minho in a grief while Sulli looks good, in fact she looked very good. She poked a butter with her finger and tasted it, after the butter, her interest turned to chocolate peanut butter and strawberry jam on the table.

She is like a five year old girl trapped in a mature woman's body.

Ding .. Dong ..

Minho turned to face the direction of the living room when the sound of bells ringing. He left the dining room to open the door. "Ssul, Taeyeon Noona has come."

"Taeyeon Eonni," Sulli ran into the living room, where a blond woman sit on the couch with Minho. "Taeyeon Eonni, I miss you." she hugged the female body.

"I miss you too." Taeyeon replied.

Without the intention of disturbing what her sister was to do, Minho sat next to Sulli and said, "I'll go to the office, while I'm gone you'll be accompanied by Taeyeon Noona. Take care of yourself, Ssul."

Sulli nodded.

"She'll be safe with me." said Taeyeon who could read fear in Minho's face.

Minho smiled. He tried to take off all the worry from his mind. Sulli with the right people, with Taeyeon. Now he could breathe freely, go to the office without having to worry.

-

 

He entered an office building which known for its splendor throughout the city, a building with the inscription KH Entertainment on the top of building. He usually go two to three times a week. It was there that he worked as a songwriter and sometimes try his abilities as a composer of music.

"Can I meet with Hyung?" Minho asked the woman who served as a receptionist.

"Eo, Mr. Minho, coincidentally, he had just asked where you were," the receptionist said, "You can go right to his room."

"Thank you."

Minho then use the elevator to the fifth floor. As soon as the elevator doors opened, he rushed to a room that located at the end of the hallway. Along the way, he heard some people greeted him with respect and also heard some discordant voices were whispering about him with envious eyes, and there is also a sympathetic gaze.

But he did not care. He stepped bravely, ignoring the stares and tries to ignore the promptings which like slicing his  ears.

"Hyung," he said after opening the door without knocking first.

A man with tuxedo who is reading a file was lifting his head. He blinked in surprise at the figure of Minho who suddenly standing on the verge of the door. "Aish, you're supposed to knock on the door first," he said while rubbing his chest, "I'm the boss, you know?" then he let Minho in and sit in front of him.

Minho approached his boss with a laugh. He gave a brown envelope contains the lyrics of the song that he wrote last week. Kyuhyun, his boss, took the envelope and opened it immediately. Previously, he put on his reading glasses, making his face which look childish become more mature.

"It's very nice." he praised, though he had only read the first two lines of the lyrics which were Minho written.

Minho pulled the hem of her lips.

The compliment is not a nonsense. Kyuhyun knew well the capabilities of Minho. That man does have extraordinary skills in write song lyrics. Every lyric he writes like sweep the audience, bringing them into a heart-wrenching events that could not have imagined, and in the end, they will end up with a face full of tears. Or maybe make them laugh, feel the love in a most romantic story.

"You're very talented," Kyuhyun returned praising, "A man like me even close to tears just by reading this." he said as he include the papers back into the envelope.

"You're too much, but thank you."

"I'll send your pay to your account," Kyuhyun said, "How are you?"

Minho frowned, "What? Why'd you suddenly ask about me, Hyung?"

"So, I should not ask? For eight years I've been your Hyung, and then I could not ask?" Kyuhyun a bit irritated.

"Aniyo, it is not like what I meant," Minho lay down on the seat and sighed, "I'm fine." he continued, gives an answer to the previous question.

"And Sulli?"

"She's fine."

"What about her?" Kyuhyun asked without being able to hide his enthusiasm.

"We're fine." Minho replied, he seemed not interested in this conversation.

Then the room was filled with the sound of Kyuhyun's applause, "That's good for you, I hope you both are fine ever after."

Minho scratching the nape of his neck, smiling.

"What? Am I wrong? I hope you are fine, if necessary you have to get married as soon as possible. You can not spend the rest of your life to continue to protect Sulli." Kyuhyun give advice.

But he wasn't supposed to talk like that. Indirectly, he lit a fire in Minho. His gaze who full of friendship turned into a cold gaze. Kyuhyun was aware of it then immediately realized his mistake. "I'm sorry, Minho, I'm not-"

"If it's necessary, I'll do it. I will protect her for the rest of my life." Minho said firmly.

-

 

Minho walked along the edge of the city streets. Just need two more blocks so that he reached his house. His mind flew away when Kyuhyun's words ringing in his ears. Not everything he said was wrong, he was right, Minho need time to think about his life. He had grown up, sooner or later he has to think about his family. Not about Sulli, she is a family but, Minho is an adult, one day he will certainly get married.

But he was different.

He is not like most men on his age who can freely do whatever they want, even to think of many things he was not able to. He could only think of one thing. Only one person. He could only think of Sulli, his beloved sister.

Not unexpectedly, on his way back home, he met with Taeyeon. Taeyeon greeted him first. Minho wonder, she was supposed to be in his house, keep his sister but now she was standing in front of his eyes as she took a lot of plastic food.

"Sulli asked me to make her some kimchi fried rice, so I went out to buy the ingredients." Taeyeon replied.

Instead of feeling relieved, Minho can feel fear overtake him. Taeyeon could see the anxiety scratches on Minho's face, but she don't know in what way she removes that feeling on his handsome face.

"You left her alone?" Minho almost shouted.

"Calm down, she'll be fine." she tried to calm Minho.

"How could she be okay?" Minho ruffled his hair. He almost made ​​a fist with the palm of his hand while imagined Sulli in his house.

"Minho, believe me, she'll be fine." Taeyeon grabbed his arm. She could feel how high his body temperature due to a wave of apprehension.

"I believe you, but... aargh!" Minho didn't finish his sentence, he ran leaving Taeyeon behind, who later joined him.

Even when the sun could not hinder Minho to run with all his might, the wind also feels much slower from him. He must be home soon, as soon as possible. He could not leave Sulli alone, he is always excessive in protecting Sulli, so is he.

Until finally, whitewashed house is visible in his eyes. With a panting breath, he took a key from his pocket. With trembling hands, he insert the key into the keyhole. With great anticipation, he prayed in his heart so that something bad doesn't happen to his sister.

"Aaaaaarghh! No!"

His hands stopped moving. He froze at the sound of crying barged into his left ear and it just came out through his right ear. Just a second, Minho could feel that his heart stopped beating.

"Sulli..." he whispered, then he immediately broke down the door of his house. Whatever with the key, he just needs to get into the his house as fast as possible.

Minho managed to get into, but he didn't find the person he was looking for. There is only television which is on and books and crayons belong Sulli that seen lying on the living room floor. He turned around, scanning every corner of the room, hoping that he will meet with a girl that just scream of fear.

Praang!

He heard something that broke from the kitchen. Minho turned towards the sound was coming from and going to run there, but a figure he was looking for then appears. Sulli ran from the kitchen with tears running from her eyes. In her right hand, she clutching a knife and in his left hand, he holds chopsticks.

"No, don't hurt me!" then she said as she raising the knife into the air.

"Sulli!"

"Minho!" Sulli was surprised to see Minho, but also become more calm, "Minho, they want to hurt me, they are so cruel, they want to hurt me." Sulli said.

Minho approached her without fear, even though she had a knife in her hand that could hurt him anytime. He holds her shoulder and calm her as possible. "Nothing is going to hurt you, I'm here, I'll protect you."

"No, you're lying! They want to hurt me, Minho, they want to hurt me," Sulli crying harder. She pointed to something with her right hand that holding a knife. Minho turned around, figuring out who's going to hurt his sister. "They want to hurt me, Minho!" said Sulli.

No one was in the room, there is only television. Television which is showing a drama with a background of Joseon Dynasty, where a war commander and his soldiers prepare for war, in which all the people who appear in the drama is carrying a weapon to hurt their enemies. To hurt the enemy.

That is what scared her.

That is what will hurt her.

Minho then hugged Sulli. He patted her shoulder and her hair. "Calm down, they're not going to hurt you, I'm here so you don't have to be afraid." he said with tears almost dripping.

"They're going to hurt me, Minho, they say it, I heard it. I'm afraid."

"No, they will not hurt you, Ssul, believe me, please."

"Really? They're not going to hurt me? Are you going to protect me?"

"... I will protect you, I will not let anyone to hurt you."

A moment later, Sulli dropped the knife in her hand. Although the sound of her sobs still heard, at least she was calmer than before. While Minho kept tightly hugging Sulli. Now is the time where he feels afraid. When Sulli buried her head on his shoulder, when Sulli replied hugged him, that moment he feels afraid.

He always afraid something like this will happen to Sulli again.

-

 

Mr. Choi looking at the Christmas tree in the corner of the room pensively. He wiped his face, washing away the sweat on his face. His eyes were closed, he still remember the event of last night. How could he have forgotten, his family falling apart on Christmas Eve, the night he was supposed to spend with the family.

"Appa, they will be back, right?" Minho came and sat next to Mr. Choi.

Mr. Choi opened his eyes and sighed heavily, "I don't know, hopefully your mother and Hara will be back to us."

"Hara is also going back, right?" Minho asked sadly.

"If your mother back, Hara will also be back. You must really miss them, right?" asked Mr. Choi, who then replied with a nod by Minho.

That brief conversation then stopped. Minho caught a sight of a girl, who brought by his father, peeking out from behind the kitchen wall. Minho then approached her, holding her hand and brought her to his father.

"Last night I asked her who her name was, but she would not answer," Minho said, "I think she does not have a name, how about we make a name for her?"

"Name?"

"Yes, do you know her name?"

Mr. Choi shook his head.

"You and I could not called her 'she' continually, you and I also don't know her name, so how about we make her a name?" Minho suggest.

Mr. Choi looked at the girl. Her face which is flat and full of fear hasn't changed. Minho is right, they need to find a name for the girl because she will become their new family member. Even though the new name is not required as long as the girl was able to open and say her name, but since Mr. Choi met her for the first time, she didn't speak even though a single word.

"Then what is the appropriate name for our beautiful sister?" Mr. Choi asked. Shortly, his grief about his wife and daughter disappeared.

"What if... Soojung? Soojung means crystal ... Or Sooyoung? Tiffany sounds good too." Minho is very enthusiastic, he's never been as enthusiastic even when he gets a new toy.

"That name sounds good, but it looks like it doesn't match for your new sister." Mr. Choi frowned. Then he prop his chin and began to think of a name.

"How about 'Sulli'? 'Sul' is snow, and 'Li' is pear flower, it sounds beautiful for her. Would you agree?"

"Hm..." Minho mumbled, "That sounds great, her skin as white as snow, and her face was beautiful like a flower."

Mr. Choi lifted the girl's body to his lap, "From now on your name is Sulli, Choi Sulli." Mr. Choi her head with a laugh.

"My little sister is... Choi Sulli. Sulli, annyeong." Minho waved then pinched her cheeks and laughing with his father.

That room... was which reminds Mr. Choi and Minho about Mrs. Choi Minho and Hara, now reminds them of a name. A girl. Someone who became an important part of their lives.

"Sulli, do you like it?" Minho asked.

However Sulli doesn't give an answer.