Meet Your Maker

†rue ฿lood [트루 블러드]

 

Jongup wakes from what had seemed like a horrific nightmare, only to find himself buried alive.

He starts to panic, the fear settling into his brain as logic takes hold; how was he still alive? And how much longer did he have?

 That’s when the panic turns to full blown terror.

He’s moments away from having a full blown mental breakdown; until he feels a pair of strong arms pull him closer. And it’s the only thing he can hold onto. Like the person holding him suddenly means so much more to him then he could ever explain. Then he could ever comprehend.

 

      

 

It’s when they’re clawing through the dirt, desperately trying to escape their earthen grave, that’s when the hunger starts. It’s so intense and so instantaneous it sort of makes Jongup’s head spin. He doesn’t know what to do with the feeling so he pushes it aside, opting instead to focus on the amazing feel of the dirt between his fingers, the amazing feel of his—whatever that incredible person buried with him was—hand on his arm. He never wants him to let go. And a sick part of himself want to stay buried forever, but the hunger comes back and suddenly Jongup can’t dig fast enough.

 

      

 

It’s Himchan’s hand that breaks through the dirt barrier first. Yongguk—who’s able to decipher at least that much of the situation—runs forward, aiding in unburying his mate.

Once freed from the earthy grave Himchan pushes Yongguk aside and frantically starts digging into the dirt with his bare hands.

 “I’m coming” he says, desperately trying not to tear Yongguk’s arm off for forcing him to let go of the teenager. He needed—needed—to find his progeny.

There’s a tiny bit of Himchan that’s angry—for the most part, he’s worried—angry at himself for letting go of the teen as he was being pulled up, angry at Yongguk for causing it to happen. But he pushes it down, down into his hands, fueling him to dig faster.

 

When Himchan’s searching hands finally brush past cold flesh he lets out a sigh of relief, gripping onto the hand and pulling with all his might.

As he helps the boy out of the grave he finally sees what Yongguk, what everyone, says about loving your progeny. It’s almost scary how much this stranger means to him.

“Are you okay?” Himchan asks, his hands moving swiftly over the younger boys body, his neck.

The teen nods, looking down at his feet

Himchan wants to call his name, tell him to have confidence but realizes he doesn’t know his name.

Just as he’s about to ask, Junhong beats him to it

“What’s your name?” he asks, taking a step closer to the baby vampire.

Compelled to look up because of the inviting voice, the teen looks into Junhong’s eyes and promptly jumps back; a hiss escaping through his teeth.

“You” he sneers.

Himchan jumps in front of the teen before Yongguk (or Youngjae) can interfere.

“Back off Zelo” Himchan growls lowly, dangerously.

“But…” Junhong has the nerve to step closer.

All of Himchan’s instincts tell him to attack Junhong, to keep him away from his progeny. But a hand on his arm stops him.

“Don’t” the teen says “what if he hurts you?”

Himchan stands up straight—he hadn’t even realized he’d taken a defensive stance—and nods his head.

He finds it odd that his progeny wanted to protect him. Because Junhong was clearly no match for him, and Junhong was supposedly his mate. He sees the flash of hurt that crosses the younger’s face. He must have realized it too. The teen cared more about his maker than his “supposed” mate.

“Maybe we should go inside” Youngjae says, breaking the tense atmosphere as he grabs Junhong’s shoulders “Give Himchan time to explain everything” he all but drags Junhong away, Daehyun following closely behind them. Until all that remains around the shallow grave are Yongguk, Himchan and the baby vampire.

 

Yongguk is looking at Himchan with a disapproving frown—mostly due to the fact that his mate had nearly attacked his progeny.

“Do you need help?” He asks, gesturing to the freshly changed vampire teen.

Himchan shakes his head, declining; this was clearly a conversation meant for maker and progeny only.

Yongguk nods, sending a quick glare to the baby vampire who had caused his mate to nearly attack his progeny. Himchan, noticing the gesture growls at Yongguk.

Putting his hands up in defense he backs away with a smile “I’m going, I’m going”

 

Himchan watches him go, not turning around to face the recently raised from the dead teen until his mate is inside the house.

“So” he says awkwardly “What do you remember?” it was a legit question and Himchan had to start somewhere.

“Uh” the kid pauses, looking up in thought “I remember I was walking home from dance practice…then I was attacked. By that kid” he points in the general direction of the house. Himchan nods and the teen continues “I was dying” he frowns, trying to recall a memory that was too fogy “someone was holding me, apologizing for something…and I felt really safe…was it you?”

Himchan shakes his head “not me” he answers.

The teen almost looks deflated and it makes Himchan fall a little bit in love with him.

“Who was it—hey do you hear that?” the teen asks, and Himchan chuckles. The main problem with newborn vampires is they’re easily distracted.

“It’s just the cars on the freeway”

“Really?” the teen excitedly proclaims “Wait” he turns around in a circle three times “aren’t we in the middle of the woods?”

“Yeah”

“How can we hear them? Why were we in the ground? Why am I so hungry?”

“Oh right” Himchan snaps his fingers “I need to feed you”

“If you could just take me home, I’ll eat there. It’s late and my dad’s gonna be really angry at me”

“You can’t go home”

“Why?”

Himchan sigh’s taking a step closer to the boy; he places a hand on his shoulder and takes a deep breath “Because I changed you”

“Changed me into what?” the teen questions, stepping away from Himchan.

“A vampire” Himchan admits

“Why?”

“Because you were at the wrong place at the wrong time, because you were dying, because Zelo asked me to”

“Why?”

“I don’t know” Himchan says, trying to get closer to the teen.

“Why?” he steps farther away

Himchan sighs again, this time rubbing at his temples.

“I don’t know” Himchan growls out

“Can’t I just go home?” the baby vampire asks “we can just pretend this never happened”

“But it did happen” Himchan says “and you can never go back home”

“Never?” the teen asks

Himchan nods his head sadly.

“No more mom? No more dad?”

Himchan nods again

“No more yelling? No more beatings? No more…no more rules?” the teen smiles.

“What?”

“I’m a vampire” the teen yells happily, rushing forward to hug his maker “I’m free”

“Yeah” Himchan says in a daze “but you know there are rules”

“Whatever” the teen says “I’m a vampire…and I get to kill people now. Oh man, I want to kill so many people. Can we kill people now? I really want to do that. Like right now”

“No” Himchan deadpans “we’re not going to kill people”

“Aw” the teen whines “but I’m so hungry

“Oh” Himchan suddenly says “Right, let’s get you something to drink”

“Are we going to kill people?” the teen asks happily as he follows after Himchan like a puppy.

“No” Himchan says, leading the teen to the house.

 

     

 

When they reach the house Himchan walks easily through the door. The teen goes to follow but a force field sends him repelling back.

“Ouch”

 Himchan sighs “You’re a vampire now; you have to get permission to enter a house”

“Oh” the teen says, rubbing the back of his head sheepishly. He stands in front of Himchan expectantly.

Himchan rolls his eyes “You have to ask for permission”

“Oh” the teen smiles “Can I please come in?”

“Yes” Himchan smiles back “now let’s get you something to drink”

“Finally” the baby vampire cheers

 

     

 

In the kitchen Daehyun is waiting for them, a freshly micro waved bottle of True Blood in his hand.

“Hey” he greets the baby vampire “Thirsty?”

“Yes” the teen says happily “I’m starving”

Daehyun nods, handing over the bottle “I’ve got to warn you” he says “that stuff tastes like ”

The teen nods, taking the proffered bottle and bringing it to his lips

As soon as the synthesized blood touches his tongue he spits it out “That stuff is awful” he says, handing the bottle back to Daehyun.

“Warned you” Daehyun chuckles

Himchan sighs, taking the bottle from Daehyun and passing it back to the teen “You have to drink or you’ll starve to death”

“Can’t we just go kill people?” the baby vampire asks with pleading eyes that make Himchan want to give in to the younger’s request.

“No” Himchan squeaks out trying to maintain his control over the situation, and his progeny.

“Damn, he definitely has our blood line flowing through him” Daehyun laughs

Himchan rolls his eyes as he watches the teen take another sip, shivering in disgust as it slides down his throat.

“It gets better” Himchan says sympathetically.

“No” Daehyun says in amusement “it really doesn’t”

 

When the baby vampire finishes the bottle Himchan has another waiting.

“Are you trying to kill me?” the teen asks affronted

“He’s definitely your kid” Daehyun laughs

“Hey” the teen suddenly asks, looking around the room “Where are the others?”

“Stop trying to stall and drink the blood” Himchan understands immediately what the younger is doing.

“They’re upstairs” Daehyun answers him, he’s quite amused by his brother’s new progeny “figured it would be best if you met family first”

“Family?” the teen asks before chugging the rest of the blood, his curiosity enough to make him momentarily forget that True Blood is actually disgusting.

“Yeah, we’re brothers. Share the same maker” Himchan says offhandedly as he shoves another bottle into the teen’s hands. If all he had to do to get the baby vampire to drink that stuff was distract him, he’d have Daehyun talk.

“Yep” Daehyun says happily as he watches the teen go though his third bottle of True Blood “So I guess that makes me your uncle or something”

The baby vamp nods his head, mindlessly accepting another bottle from his maker.

“You’re not going to be one of those creepy uncles that molest you and stuff, are you?”

Daehyun burst out into laughter “No” he says between laughs “well…maybe.  I’m not promising anything” he admits once he’s sobered up.

“Okay” the teen accepts happily, finishing off his sixth bottle of True Blood.

“So” the teen says “When will I meet the others?”

“Tomorrow” Himchan says after his progeny declines the seventh bottle “But for now we need to sleep. The suns coming up soon”

“Okay” the boy says, trailing happily after his maker.

 

      

 

Squeezed inside the coffin the pair lay side by side.

“So” the baby vamp asks “what do we do now?”

“Just close your eyes and sleep” Himchan says

“Okay” the teen says, closing his eyes obediently “Goodnight…uh, I don’t know your name”

Himchan chuckles “Himchan, Kim Himchan”

The baby vampire smiles “Okay, well, goodnight Himchan”

“Goodnight…wait, I don’t know your name either”

“Moon Jongup” the teen informs with a laugh.

“Well, goodnight then Moon Jongup”

“Goodnight”

 

 

In a coffin a few feet away, Junhong smiles

At least I know his name” he thinks as he closes his eyes.