Chapter 6: Meet Ariel

C for Cover Girl

 

Time: July 4th, 2009

Location: Taipei, Taiwan

 

Rainie looked at her watch it was almost 11:30am as her best friend Ariel bounced into the café. Ariel told her last night that she will be tutoring some classmates to make some extra money and today she will be meeting one of her classmate at the café. Rainie had no one Ariel’s classmate would turn out to be such a hottie and she was not the only one who thought so.

 

Jolin almost wished she didn’t have to leave when Vic said it was time to go. The young man in front of him looked so dreamy that she thought he might have really walked out of Manga. Thousands of questions popped up in her head since the moment he walked in. what is his name, where is he from, does he have a girlfriend and of course, is he wealthy. But at the end, she didn’t have the courage to go up and introduce herself, especially not with her boss watching. So at the end, she walked out of the café regret this opportunity and wondering whether or not they will ever meet again.

 

When Ariel walked into the café, at first she only noticed her best friend, Rainie, behind the counter. Ariel waved and Rainie greeted her with a bright smile. Then she signaled toward the kitchen just in time as Jacky and Vic walked out. Ariel turned into a statue on the spot and she was blushing from head to toe.

Ariel and Rainie have been best friends since they were little kids and they would often spend time at each other’s house. The first time Ariel met him, he was still the boyfriend of Rainie’s older sister, Patty. He smiled at her and she turned into a ripen tomato from head to toe. She was even teased by Rainie for a whole week because of that. She remembered Patty and Vic were suppose to go out on a date but since she didn’t think it was safe to leave two young girls alone at home so she brought them along. Ariel could tell by the look on Vic’s face he was not very happy but that night he was still a perfect gentleman. They watched “Finding Nemo” and went to Haagen-Daz for ice cream after. It was from that day on, he entered her heart and never left since.

Ariel wanted to kill Rainie when she said very loudly to Vic: “Vic Ge, Ariel is here.”

Vic gave Rainie an all-knowing smile as he turned to say hi to Ariel. They chatted casually until Vic said he had to go.

They said their good byes and Vic walked out with his assistant who was quiet this whole time (more like pre-occupied). Still consumed in her own world, Ariel took a seat at her usual spot not noticing someone in the corner was burning a hole in her head with his laser glares. Rainie was the one who noticed first; she walked over to Ariel’s table: “are you forgetting something? I though you were suppose to meet someone here?”

Ariel looked at her watched: “oh crap 12:00 already. I totally forgot. I wonder if he’s here?”

Rainie pointed to the corner: “How about that one over there?”

Ariel let out a little scream and gave the guy with the intense stare an apologetic smile: “Oh man, how long has he been here?”

Rainie: “he got here before you did. Anyway, I want to stay and watch you face death but

I’m going to be late if I don’t get going.”

Ariel gave her a pout and headed over to the corner table. She took a deep breathe and said hi: “Hi, are you Aaron? I’m Ariel and I’m supposed to tutor you.”

Before Ariel could get any further, the guy name Aaron stood up and up a hand in Ariel’s face: “save it, I already saw enough. I don’t need a brainless girl like you tutoring me.”

Ariel was speechless since she didn’t even know what she did wrong except for the fact that she didn’t recognize him earlier.

Jacky and Ah Ya looked at every other with a puzzle look while Rainie quickly went to her best friend’s side.

Rainie pulled Ariel behind her protectively and got up to Aaron’s face: “what is your problem anyway? Don’t you know a little basic thing called respect? It’s not like she owns you money that she has to take all this attitude from you. She is already doing you a favor by tutoring you.”

Aaron: “who are you? Oh I get it, you are probably going to tell me that you are best friends and my precious your friendship is. You poor people make me sad.”

By the look on Rainie’s face, Ariel could tell she was about to explode. Not only did Aaron stepped on a landmine by making fun of their friendship, he tumbled over another one; Rainie hates people who looked down on those less fortunate than they are.

But even Ariel was surprised when Rainie throw a punch that landed right on Aaron’s face. Before Aaron could even react, another punch landed on his left.

Ariel and Ah Ya held Rainie back and Jacky quickly went to Aaron before he could retaliate.

But Aaron was fieriest and he was not backing down. All the stuff about not hitting girls went out the window.

 

“What is going on in here?” Patty and Jerry walked into the café just in time for some action.

Rainie quickly lost her fire when she saw the two of them but to her surprise, Aaron did too.

And what surprise everyone else even more was the fact that, Aaron took off running without looking back.