Chapter 4: Meet Cyndi

C for Cover Girl

Time: July 4th, 2009

Location: Taipei, Taiwan

 

Every morning, Cyndi would stop by the corner coffee shop to pick up breakfast for her workaholic boss. For someone who expects change within second, Cyndi couldn’t figure out why her boss would insist on getting the same thing every day for breakfast. But she didn’t mind coming to this place everyday, in fact this time is probably what she looks forward to every time.

 

Cyndi looked at her watch and quickly turned her attention to the door. It was 6:15am and the door chimed to welcome another guest. Cyndi was hiding behind the coffee muffin stand but she couldn’t hide the smile on her face. She watched as the he walked up to the counter and waved politely to the lady that also took her order. She said something to him before she headed back into the kitchen. Is she imaging things or is he blushing? She almost knocked over the stand when he turned and their eyes met. He smiled politely since they have met every morning in this little shop. She knowing she would be kicking herself later for acting so stupid again she tried her best not to smile so awkwardly.

 

But she lost his attention as the lady at the counter returned with the younger girl who also works at the café. She also returned with her order. Cyndi went up to the counter to pick up her breakfast but she could barely breathe since he was standing right next to her. She could even smell the cologne he was wearing; it is the cologne called Fahrenheit.

 

But from this distance she also saw that he was indeed blushing and it was simultaneous with every time the girl smiled at him. Cyndi picked up her food and walked out of the café but continued to glance back at the shop. This was their 212th encounter; yet she failed to even say hi.

 

When Cyndi arrived at the office, her boss Barbie was already sitting in her office. Cyndi knocked before entering Barbie’s office and placed her breakfast on the table before retreating out of the office quietly. She quickly returned to her own desk and pulled up Barbie’s schedule on her computer. She has been working for Barbie for almost a day now and her boss’ life style is work, work and work. Cyndi always wondered if she would be willing to pay the same price to have the kind of success Barbie has.

 

The phone on her desk went off and brought Cyndi back to reality. Cyndi picked up the phone right away when she realized it was Barbie calling from the inside office.

Barbie was short and to the point: “Get me 6 copies of the newest Cover on my desk by 8:30.”

Barbie hung up before Cyndi could even respond but by now she was already used to this. Before Cyndi could get out of her seat the phone on her desk went off again, this time it’s from the big boss on the top floor: “Cyndi, meeting at 9am sharp.” Cyndi knew that this meant there would be a meeting between the big boss and her boss, Barbie.

Just like her boss, their head of the company is also a workaholic. Cyndi always wonder why someone as wealth and handsome as him would spend all his time working. Cyndi sighed because every meeting between them could very well turn into World War Three. Cyndi quickly drink the whole bottle of water she brought with her this morning because she knew this would be a long day.

 

It was 8:20am as Cyndi rushed into the front lobby with a stack of magazine in her arms. Some one was nice enough to hold the elevator for her. It was Patty, the big boss’ secretary and the only person Cyndi honestly likes at the company.

“Do you need a hand with that?” Patty offered her help even though her hands were full with a huge lunch bag and breakfast no doubt for the big boss.

Cyndi declined politely and tried to control her empty stomach as the smell of hot breakfast drives her crazy. Patty made small talks and asked her how she likes her job until they reached Cyndi’s floor and she exited first while Patty’s elevator climbed one more floor.