Chapter Ø

The Coffee Shop

            You were greeted by the scent of coffee when you walked in.  You came here often; this coffee shop was like your third home (second being your university’s library).  It was where everything began and where everything ended.  You really had no reason to come here anymore, yet here you are, back once again in this little, peaceful coffee shop. 

            Your first encounter with Jung Daehyun was here.  It happened about two years ago, yet you remembered it like it just happened yesterday.

☼ ☼ ☼

            You exited the coffee shop when you heard a voice shout from behind.

            “Excuse me, Miss!” Daehyun called out to you. 

            You turned around and pointed at yourself with a confused look on your face.  Why was he looking for you? 

            “Yes, you!  You left your notebook on the table!” Daehyun said, flailing his arms with a pink notebook in his hand.

            You recognized the notebook, went up to Daehyun, and took it from his hand.  With a bow, you thanked him for returning it to you.  When you looked up from the bow, you mentally gasped to yourself.  Your notebook returner looked like the famous Korean actor, Wonbin; and like Wonbin, Daehyun was also handsome.

            Catching you staring a bit too long, Daehyun cleared his throat. 

            “I’m Jung Daehyun by the way.  What’s your name?” 

            Snapping out of your daze, you managed to respond.

            “I’m _____.” 

            “So _____-ssi, do you come to this coffee shop often?”

            Without thinking, you responded a little too quickly.

            "Yes.”

            “Maybe we’ll see run into each other again soon!  See you, _____-ssi!” Daehyun said, with a cheeky smile while turning around to walk the other direction.

            You mentally slapped yourself as you stared at his back.  To be honest, it was your first time at this coffee shop and you had no plans to come back.  You had a sudden craving for a green tea latte and entered the first coffee shop you saw.  You didn’t like lying, but if there was a possibility you might be able to meet your notebook returner again, you were willing to tell a small lie.  You cursed yourself as you headed the other way for being easy when it came to good looking guys.

            You and Daehyun met again at the coffee shop a couple days later.  It started off as small talks and it gradually grew to hours-long conversations.  It surprised you how well you and Daehyun got along.  You two then began meeting up often at the coffee shop as good friends, and before you knew it, Daehyun and you started dating a couple months later. 

☼ ☼ ☼

            You sat down at your usual table with your usual green tea latte in your hands.  Your relationship with Daehyun ended almost a year ago.  It wasn’t a bad breakup; you understood the reasons for it.  Daehyun was preparing for his debut in B.A.P and you didn’t want to become a burden to him and his musical career.  In fact, you were very happy and proud for him.  Unfortunately, you and Daehyun gradually grew apart and eventually lost contact with each other.

            You followed news about him and B.A.P.  They were working hard and no doubt, increasing their popularity and success with each comeback.  At times, you missed Daehyun, and when you missed Daehyun, you always found yourself heading to the coffee shop.

            You took a sip of your green tea latte and smiled a small smile.  It may sound a bit odd, but you found comfort in the coffee shop.  It was like Daehyun was part of the shop.  Most of your memories of him occurred here.  It was your frequent dating spot with Daehyun, and now, it housed your most precious memories with him.  Everything started at this very spot, and everything ended here.  Laughter, tears, conversations, touches, emotions, arguments, and love all happened here, in this very place.

            You grabbed your things, about to leave, when a female barista approached you with a cup in her hand.  With a confused look, you told her you didn’t order any additional drinks.

            “A guy came in a few minutes ago and ordered this green tea latte for you.”

            Still puzzled, you asked, “Who?”

            The barista placed the cup on the table and responded, “He just told me to tell you ‘pink notebook’,” and she walked back to the cash register. 

            It took you awhile to register the information, but you figured out the codename.  You smiled to yourself, got up, and exited the coffee shop with the green tea latte in your hand, in hopes to catch this mysterious “pink notebook” person.  Your smile instantly turned into a frown once you stepped outside though.  It was raining, and being the unprepared person you were, you didn’t bring an umbrella. 

            “Looks like you forgot your umbrella, Miss.  You’re quite the forgetful type.”

            You jumped a little and saw an umbrella hovered over your head.  You turned to look at the owner of the umbrella and voice, and you were immediately caught off guard.

            “It’s been awhile huh, _____?  I really missed you,” Daehyun said with a handsome smile. 

            You shyly smiled back, while looking at the wet ground. 
 

           “Yeah, it’s been awhile, Daehyun.”