Pitter-Patter

Pitter-Patter

the patter of rain against his umbrella, down to his shoes is loud against his ears as he stands alone by the sidewalk, a coat draping haphazardly on his shoulders as he looks into the far distance with an umbrella gripped into a hand.

 

the rain is still drizzling softly, the sound of the droplets of water hitting the floor is the only sound that surrounds him, except, of course the loud beating of his heart that is heavy inside his chest and he feels terribly nervous.

 

his palm around the umbrella’s handle is sweaty and the other hand is shoved down his pocket to stop him from fidgeting. the skies are grey and yifan is nervous to the bones, his knees are almost shaking and the air is white around him.

 

he shouldn’t be this nervous, he never should be. his palms aren’t supposed to be sweating and his heart isn’t supposed to be drumming louder than the rain sprinkling down the still grey skies. 

 

he has been with yixing for months, but he has always been nervous when it comes to fetching yixing from his apartment, because he is never used to the way how yixing would smile at him so brightly, his dimple appearing on his cheeks as he makes his way towards him across the street.

 

and now it’s raining, perhaps he painted a picturesque statue by himself just standing on the rain and looking calm with his façade but in reality, inside of him, there is a storm of feelings in his heart and at the pit of his stomach as he waits for yixing to come down.

 

yixing. yixing. yixing.

 

please come down soon.

 

he mutters to himself as he pushes back his slick blond hair, he dyed it a few days ago and he smiled a lot when yixing told him that he looked good on it, like a high school girl reacting to her crushing telling her that she looks good on her ponytail. that is not their case however, yifan had been with yixing for more than five years and he still feels nervous about fetching yixing.

 

maybe, as cheesy as it may sound, it’s the way how yixing’s smile look so divine while coming down the stairs, maybe it’s the way how he would notice yixing’s breath hitching up when he catches sight of him from across the street. perhaps it’s even maybe how yixing would cling on his arm, his arm clutched tightly to yixing’s chest, almost as if indicating that he’s never letting go, or maybe he’s just over reacting but he loves yixing’s little display of affection.

 

fetching yixing from his apartment still feels new, even though he has been doing it for five years

 

he’s silly, he knows, but waiting for yixing in the rain seems more romantic that waiting for him under sunny skies and white clouds. his thoughts are going everywhere and he chuckles to himself, shaking his head a little before looking up at the tall apartment building, waiting for a dimpled man in his usual get up, probably in skinny jeans and a low cut tank top.

 

the rain is slowly subsiding, but it’s still drizzling lightly, the pitter-patter of his heart is still loud and yixing is slowly trudging down the stairs.

 

he stands on his toes, fingers gripped tight around the umbrella and god—yixing looks so stunning—enchanting with his hair down, a white low-cut tank top (as always) under a blue jacket, black skinny jeans (as expected) and sneakers to finish it off. yixing has always looked like this but yifan is still breathless just looking at yixing descending from the flight of stairs.

 

“yixing!” he calls out, his face breaking into a huge smile as he stands on the tips of his toes. the rain stops the moment yixing starts walking out of the apartment’s shed and running to yifan with a huge grin in his face.

 

“fan fan!” yixing exclaims, latching himself on yifan’s arm once he reaches the taller male. yifan grips the umbrella in his hand tighter and lets his other arm be held against yixing with a shy smile at yixing’s sudden announcement of his nickname—which is only cute when yixing speaks it and only yixing is allowed to speak it.

 

yixing looks at him with puppy eyes, lips pursed out slightly. “did you wait long? i’m so sorry! i kept on forgetting things but now all i need is with me!” yixing tells him as the shorter sinks his teeth on his lower lip.

 

yifan laughs at his statement—‘all i need is with me’—there is something inside of him that wants to be included in that, he wants to be what yixing needs. he wants to be what yixing wants.

 

“yes, fan fan,” yixing draws out a sigh, “that includes you~”