Meteor Shower

Meteor Shower

 

Donghae’s P.O.V.

 

Here I am again, in the fields, seing a magnificent view. Calm and serene. As I stand here, memories came flashing back on my mind. This was the same place where we had our first and last anniversary.

 

~2 years ago~

 

I covered her eyes as I guided her through this verdant path, wanting to show her my favorite place in the country where I used to stay whenever I feel gloomy, frazzled, or if I just want to relax.

 

“Can I open my eyes now?”

“Wait just a little bit.”

 

Slowly, I removed my hands from covering her eyes, revealing an amazing view.

 

“Wow, It’s beautiful. Really.”, she gladly exclaimed.

“Yeah it is, and so are you, Yoona.”, I said, making her blush.

 

I laid down a blanket on the moist grass, under the perfect moonlight. We sat down, watching the stars while she leans on my shoulder. We had a good-humored conversation, just talking about random things and teasing each other.

 

“I wish we could forever be like this. Just you and me.”

“Yeah.”, I smiled.

“You know, I still can’t believe that you, a rich, intellectual guy fell in love with an unfortunate commoner like me.”

“Me too. I guess you’re just unlike others. I don’t know why I love you; I just know that I do. A lot.”

“I love you too.”, she whispered, blissfully.

“Happy anniversary.”, I said before planting my lips on hers to share a tender kiss.

 

She suddenly broke the kiss, only to find out that there was a meteor shower, right above us which is really rare to occur here.

 

“It’s wonderful.”, she smiled. “Too bad, this may be the last time I’ll see something this astonishing.”, and her smile faded.

 

 

You see, she’s sick. Not just a plain illness, but a severe one. Her remaining weeks, or maybe days are counted. This thought made me tear up. But I tried to hold back my tears. She hates seeing me sad, and she often blames herself for it. I held her hand tightly, looked up, and wished that our love will last though we won’t see each other. Her sickness has no cure. All I could do is accept. Accept that we won’t be able to grow old together. Accept that I have to face life in the future, alone. Accept that she’ll be gone.

 

 

“Donghae, kamsahamnida. Thank you for everything. For letting me feel how to love and be loved. For making me experience beautiful things in life. For showing me that someone in this world cares a lot about me. For always being here with me, even if sometimes I may be a burden to you. Thank you so much. And I’m sorry that I’m sick. Sorry that I have to leave..”, she said, looking at me in the eye, slowly crying.

 

“Shh, it’s okay, Yoona. It’s not your fault. I’m glad to have helped you in embracing the wonders life could give. I never regret meeting you. I know it will hurt me so much when you’re gone, but it’s okay.”, tears started to fall on my cheeks too.

 

“Don’t worry. I’ll stay in your heart. Think of this as a dream. From the first time you saw me until the last time you will. Hopefully, it will hurt less...”

Not long after, our lips met again.

 

“I’ll make sure that your last days will be the best.”

 

 

We spent her final weeks living happily together. Going to loads of nice places, enjoying each other’s company, and just having fun. We were a perfect harmony. I loved seeing her smile, her happiness.

 

 

A few more days and then that day came. She was gone. It was very painful. I cried a lot. I couldn’t move on. But I tried to be strong. I know that she doesn’t want me to be like this. Bit by bit, I learned to accept what was really meant to happen.

 

 

~present time~

 

After all those, I continued living life, by myself. I managed to get a good job and I stayed in a fine residence. Yes, I do miss her. I do miss us. I miss everything. But all that’s left are photographs and memories.

 

I looked up, and surprisingly saw a meteor shower. I smiled.

 

“Even though I can’t see your presence, I could definitely feel your love. Thank you for letting me have the best moments of my life. I promise to cherish them forever. Wherever you are, wait for me there. We’ll be seeing each other soon. Happy anniversary. Saranghaeyo, Im Yoona.”