Chapter Nine

Because of You

 

“I want to take you somewhere.”

“Where?”

“Just follow me. You’ll love it.”

 

They ended up cycling by the seaside, from one end to the other. Woohyun had intentionally rented a two-seater bike, so that Chorong doesn’t have any other choice but to sit behind him.

She appeared surprised at first. Startled by what they are going to do, but definitely pleased. She had worried about going out with only him for the second time, worried that they were going to get caught. But Woohyun took her hand in his and held it tightly.

Tightly and safely. It was all the assurance that she needed.

It’s been such a long time since she had last felt easy and carefree like this. She couldn’t even remember when was the last time she had cycled. Probably when she was 7 years old, when her father taught her for the first time. She was afraid of being rusty, of the chance of falling down.

But Woohyun squeezed her hand gently and assured her that they were going to be fine. That he will make sure to balance the bike well and not let her fall.

Of course she trusts him.

After about twenty minutes of endless cycling, he called out to her from over his shoulder. “Let’s stop here for awhile.”

They came to a halt in front of a shady tree and parked the bike against it. Woohyun, being the gentleman that he is, allowed Chorong to hop off first before he swung his legs over himself.

He noticed the beads of perspiration appearing on her forehead and reached forward to wipe them away with the sleeve of his shirt. Startled, she jumped back a step, but Woohyun just gave her an easy smile.

“Thirsty?” he glanced around their surrounding and saw a shop nearby. “Wait here. I’ll be right back.”

Chorong watched him as he go before walking around the tree and plopping herself down on an empty patch. She draws her knees close to her chest, her long wavy hair blowing around her face in the cooling breeze.

Her gaze was thrown far ahead across the calm blue sea. Millions of thoughts were running through her mind.

This...she and him was wrong. This ‘relationship’ was forbidden. Both of them knew it.

But as much as wants to stay away from him for his own good, she just can’t bring herself to distant away. She’s been trying so hard to hide her growing affections for Woohyun all these years. When she first arrived at the house, when she first laid eyes on him, when they were both introduced to each other...Chorong had been mesmerized. Completely taken in by the young boy of the same age whom she called ‘young master.’

He wasn’t like those other rich jerks she had met before this. Sure, he has his confidence aura. And he may be intimidating at times. But he isn’t rude. He has never raised his voice at her or ordered her around like a puppy. He treated her with respect even though she works for his family.

He treated her like a companion, a friend.

Chorong likes his sense of maturity. He acts rationally and just like Jihyun, he doesn’t rely on his parents’ statuses and money to build a name for himself.

He’s an independent guy.

“Hey, a penny for your thoughts.”

Chorong lifted up her head and met the eyes of the boy whom she had fallen in love with. His gaze was warm. His smile was comforting. His face...was home.

Her home.

She could feel the tears stinging in her own eyes and she forced herself to look away before Woohyun could notice anything.

He handed a cold bottled water to her.

She took it from him slowly and muttered a quick thanks.

He crouched down beside her, already gulping down the water to quench his own thirst. Chorong watched him silently, taking in his sharp side profile with admiration.

Nam Woohyun has everything – looks, money, the brain. What would he look for in a girl like her?

“I know I’m handsome,” he spoke up suddenly, bringing her back to reality. “You don’t have to stare at me like that. You’ll get plenty of chances to look at me.”

He turned his head to face her.

“You have all the time in the world to look at me. I’m not going anywhere.”

Chorong blushed at his outright statement. She uncapped her own bottle and gulped down the drink to cover up her embarrassment. He’s perfect, but the thing was - he knows it too.

He leaned back against the tree, his head resting on his forearm. “I’m not going to get married to Hyuna, you know. No way.”

At the mention of her rival’s name, Chorong’s gaze dropped along with her shattered heart. She has to wake up and face reality soon. This isn’t the life for her.

Woohyun isn’t for her.

“You have to,” she said softly, without looking at him. “It’s your parents’ wish.”

Yah,” his voice was louder now, annoyed even. “What’s wrong with you? Do you really want me to marry her? Do you really want me to go away and leave you?”

No, I don’t. I want you here. I want you all to myself...

“This isn’t about me Woohyun-ssi,” she said instead. “But we have to realise...that we don’t always get what we want.”

Woohyun let out a sigh indignantly. She was strong-headed but he was more stubborn. She will never win him.

“If you’re not going to fight for me...”

Chorong looked up at him, full of anticipation.

Then I’ll fight for you.”

 

A.N I'm so sorry for this very long wait :/