06.

Because of You

 

“Be back home tonight by seven Woohyun. We have two very important guests joining us for dinner later.”

A second later, the dial tone followed – indicating that his mother hand ended the call without even giving him a chance to speak. Typical of her.

 

“Mrs Kim, why do we have to cook a lot today? Are they having anyone over?” Chorong asked innocently while she carried on cutting up the vegetables as instructed by the elder lady. She sliced the carrot carefully with such delicacy. Mrs Kim watched her with a smile. Chorong was always so full of passion about her work, no matter what it is.

“Well, I heard that Woohyun’s sister is finally coming back home after years spending her time away in Australia studying. So of course Madam and Sir would want their daughter to eat as much home-cooked food as possible.”

Chorong’s eyes widened in surprised. She’s heard a lot about the elder Nam child. Good things.

Nam Jihyun was the perfect role model to every girl out there. She’s got the looks, money, brains – and she doesn’t let them go to waste. She’s rich with her parents’ money but she wouldn’t use it as an excuse to slack off.

She started from scratch, with nothing but her own dedication and willpower. She worked hard to get to where she is now, without any special help from her parents.

Chorong has never met with Jihyun personally. She only saw the beautiful girl in photographs hung on the walls, displayed on the tables.

But even in pictures, she was already breathtaking enough.

She couldn’t wait to see Jihyun in real life.

“And I also heard that another guest is coming but...I’m not quite sure who it is.” Mrs Kim turned away so that Chorong wouldn’t see the contrast change in her expression. In truth, she actually knew who was coming as well.

But how could she tell the poor, hopeful girl that Woohyun’s soon-to-be fiancée is meeting the family officially for the first time?

 

That night, Chorong was busy preparing the dishes that were about to be laid down on the dining table. She was busy bustling around the kitchen that she didn’t realise another figure had crept up behind her.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered into her right ear suddenly, causing her to jump back a little, startled.

She whirled around expectantly and saw Woohyun standing there with his head hung down low. His two hands were clasped together as he stared at the ground guiltily.

“Woohyun!” she gasped, shocked yet happy to see him as though she hadn’t got the chance to cross paths with him all week. “You gave me such a scare. Don’t do that again.”

A small smile crept up on his face. ‘Woohyun’ had slipped out from her lips instead of young master. It was pleasing enough.

“Are you mad at me?” he asked sheepishly, tilting his head back slightly.

Chorong went back to whatever she was doing; trying her best to avoid eye-contact with him as possible.

“What are you talking about?” Feigning ignorance seemed like the right thing to do. “Why should I be angry with you?”

Woohyun made a move to grab her wrist.

“Chorong...”

Just then, the kitchen door suddenly creaked open, revealing Mrs Kim’s straight face. The two of them instantly stepped away from each other. Chorong’s face flushed deeply in embarrassment.

“Uh, I’m sorry young master. I didn’t know you were in here too. Is there anything that I can help you with?”

Yes, talk some sense into Chorong please. Tell her, I don’t mean to hurt her feelings in any way at all.

But surely, he couldn’t say that.

“No Mrs Kim, it’s okay. I was just...curious on what both of you have cooked for us tonight,” he covered up quickly. “I’ll get back to the living room now and wait for noona.”

Chorong kept silent the whole time as she waited patiently until Woohyun was out of her sight.

“Chorong...” came Mrs Kim’s strict yet concerned voice.

The distressed girl just shook her head tiredly.

“Not now ahjumma. Not now...”

 

The doorbell rang at 8 o’clock sharp. Everything else was already prepared. Heaps of foods were arranged neatly on the table, just waiting for everyone to dig in.

Chorong waited attentively by the side in case she was needed. At the sound of the bell, her head turned towards the door eagerly. She started straightening down her uniform in hopes of making a first good impression in front of Jihyun.

Everyone stood up immediately as the butler rushed forward to open the door.

Chorong cranked her neck to catch a glimpse of the long awaited guest.

Instead of one, she saw two tall figures emerging from the front door. She also saw how distinctively Mrs Nam’s smile had broadened at the sight of her much missed daughter’s face. Mr Nam was beaming proudly beside her while Woohyun grinned happily as a sign of welcoming his sister home.

Jihyun pulled her mother in first for a warm embrace.

Umma! I’ve missed you so much! And did you lost weight or something?” she asked as both mother and daughter pulled away from each other. “You seemed thinner since the last time I saw you. Appa, didn’t you feed umma well?”

Mrs Nam hit her daughter lightly on the arm.

“Jihyun-yah, stop kidding around. I’m still the same, as healthy as ever. I’ve missed you a lot my child. It’s good to have you home again.”

Jihyun gave her a warm smile.

“Me too umma. It feels nice to finally be back here.”

Mr Nam turned towards the man who had came along with Jihyun, lugging two heavy bags along with him.

“Doo Joon! I didn’t know you were coming over too. Jihyun, why did you let him carry all those things by himself?”

Jihyun glanced over her shoulder and smiled mischievously at the guy named Doo Joon.

“He offered, let him be. Those muscles aren’t built for nothing anyway.”

Yah! Even if I did offer, this is not the right way to treat your cousin do you know that? At least I was nice enough to come and pick you up.”

The butler came forward to take the bags from Doo Joon who gave them up willingly.

“You should’ve told us you had asked Doo Joon to pick you up. So that was why you declined when we wanted to send the chauffeur to fetch you from the airport,” Mrs Nam raised her eyebrow knowingly.

Umma, don’t you know that noona is fond of bullying Doo Joon hyung from last time?” Woohyun spoke up as he gave his sister a small wink. “She must’ve missed teasing him a lot while she was away.”

Dongsaeng-ah, you’ve gotten pretty smart haven’t you?” Jihyun shot back as she tousled her younger brother’s auburn hair. “And you’ve grown to be such a fine young lad. Have you gotten yourself a girlfriend?”

Woohyun almost choked upon hearing her last word. Doo Joon patted him gently on the back.

“Why? Did I say something wrong?”

“Enough of this. Jihyun, why don’t you go up and rest in your room first while we wait for someone to arrive in quite a bit?” Mrs Nam cut in the conversation.

Jihyun cocked an eyebrow up questioningly.

“Woohyun didn’t answer my question and now you’re telling me you’ve invited someone else over on the day I’m due to be home? You’re on to something aren’t you umma?”

Mrs Nam shook her head as if trying to dismiss it off.

“Chorong!”

The requested girl came rushing forward when she heard her name being called.

“Lead Jihyun up to her room will you? And if she needs help with anything, do it.”

Umma, I’m capable of climbing the stairs up myself,” Jihyun rolled her eyes. “It’s okay Chorong. You don’t have...”

“Nonsense. You might need something. Just ask it from Chorong if there’s anything that you want.”

“Young madam, this way please,” Chorong politely led Jihyun away from her parents, away from Woohyun. She could feel his eyes watching her every move intensely and it was making her self-conscious.

But what she doesn’t know was that, there was another pair of eyes focused on her too right at that very moment; watching her with much interest.

 

**********************************************************

 

A/N Thank you guys for reading, commenting & subscribing! Even though I don't personally reply to each one of you, doesn't mean I don't appreciate you taking the time to read this story of mine :D

And oh, if you have the time please check out this new fanfic my friend is working on. It's a story revolving around Sunggyu & Eunji (yay, another PinkFinite pairing) - Fall For You

She loves PinkFinite as much as I do, as much as you all do...so give her your support okay? :) Thank youuu.