His childhood.

My Secret Promise.

"Kibum-ah, this is Jonghyun and he will be your playmate from today, okay? Be nice to each other." said the tall man next to the kid.

"But daddy, I don't need a playmate." pouted the kid as he hid behind his dad.

Born with a silver spoon in his mouth, Kibum has been a child that has no worries. He was a charming child, and many guests of the family had praised him for being well behaved. Nothing could have made his parents think that he would have such a hard time interacting with children his own age. It was such a shock to the poor parents on the first day of preschool when they found Kibum crying in a corner of the class when they were fetching him. 

"Kibum-ah, why aren't you playing with other kids?" his worried mom had asked, but nothing could have made him talk.

Since then, Kibum had been distancing himself from kids his own age. Even when his parents transferred him to anther preschool, he was still unable to make new friends.
Seeing no improvements in Kibum's situation, his parents decided to get him counseling. Still, even with so many sessions of counselling, his situation is still the same. Nothing the counsellor say could persuade him to play with the kids at preschool. "He is a smart child, really. But I honestly cannot figure out why he won’t interact with people his own age!" the counsellor had said.

It has been two years since then, and Kibum hadn't changed. At 6 years old, he was still the timid kid he had been. Seeing that there isn't any change even with the counselling, his parents was concerned that the kid would go on with life like that. As a last resort, his parents found a child a year older than Kibum to be his playmate. 

The kid in front of him has a nice tan in contrast to Kibum’s milky skin. Messy dark brown hair half covered eyes that are filled with confidence and mischief. Bandages and scars littered his knees.

"Hey, I'm Jonghyun! Nice to meet you. What's your name?" asked the kid cheerfully. 

Nudged forward by his dad, Kibum stuttered "K-k-ki... "

"Key huh. Weird name you have there." Jonghyun interrupted before Kibum can finish anything.   "Well Key, let’s play in the garden!"

Hesitant, Kibum held back.

"Come on!" said Jonghyun as he stretched his hand towards Kibum. "Let’s go!"

Kibum looked up to his dad, who nodded at him and gave him a little push. Tentatively, he rested his hands on Jonghyun’s outstretched palm. With a smile, Jonghyun led Kibum into the garden.

Trailing behind Jonghyun, Kibum was feeling uneasy. "What are we going to do?" he thought with a frown. Turning to face him, Jonghyun echoed his thoughts "What do you want to do today?" Seeing the unsure face on Kibum, Jonghyun prompted: "Do you like playing tag? Or would you like a game of football?"

"Tag…?"

"You don’t know what tag is?" Jonghyun asked incredulously.

"N-no…"

"Hmm…that’s okay, I’ll teach you!"

Thus, Jonghyun spent the remaining afternoon teaching Kibum about tag as well as football.

"Ha-ha! You’re doing it wrong! Here, do it like this "taught Jonghyun as he demonstrated how to score a goal.

"Ughhn!" mumbled key as he tried again.

The ball went through the makeshift goal that Jonghyun constructed using two empty flowerpots.

A smile lit up on Kibum’s face.

"Yeah!" Jonghyun cheered, "You did it!"

"Yay!" Kibum answered happily. Without words, Kibum was trying his best to communicate with Jonghyun. Jonghyun grinned at him. "Come on, let’s have a match!"

At the end of the day, Kibum had somewhat opened up to Jonghyun. When it was time for Jonghyun to go, Kibum was a little reluctant to see him go, although he did not say anything. Seeing the disheartened look on Kibum’s face, Jonghyun called out to him before he left:

"Key!"

Kibum look up to see Jonghyun beaming at him.

"Don’t worry, I’ll be back tomorrow!"

"O-okay!" yelled Kibum in response. With that, Jonghyun left.


"How was your day?" asked Kibum’s mother over the dinner table that night.

"It was…fun" replied Kibum with a smile. "I would like Jjongie to come again."

His parents sighed with relief. Finally their child was making progress, and not only that, he seemed to be enjoying himself with Jonghyun. They only hope that Jonghyun’s influence can help Kibum get over his awkwardness with other kids.Following that day, Jonghyun came over to play almost every day. A strong bond was forming between the two of them, and Kibum was opening up more and more to Jonghyun. Every day was becoming more and more enjoyable to Kibum as Jonghyun taught him everything he knew. Now, Kibum can already speak freely to Jonghyun, and not stutter like he did back then. This has made his parents extremely delighted.


This day, Jonghyun brought a huge bag along with him.

"Jjongie!" Kibum greeted happily as he saw Jonghyun walking through the door.

"Mornin’!" Jonghyun replied. Seeing the questioning look on Kibum’s face as he stared at his bag, Jonghyun smiled and said "Today, I brought some of my treasured things with me. Come, let’s go to the garden and I’ll show you!"

"See, this is a prize for getting first place in the singing competition." counted Jonghyun as he went through the items "Oh, and this is a souvenir my friend got for me when she went to japan last year."

There was a variety of things in his bag spread out on the garden table, from pretty rocks that he had picked up from the beach to a toy robot he had won at the carnival.

"Hey, what's in this box?" Asked a curious Kibum as he picked up an intricate box from the table.

With a smile, Jonghyun explained "that, is my most treasured possession. My granny got it for me."

"Whoa…" awed Kibum as he carefully placed the box back on the table. 

"Do you want to see what's inside?"

"Yeah!" said Kibum excitedly.

Jonghyun opened the box and Kibum saw that it was a pair of necklaces, one with a key charm and the other, a locket charm.

"Wow, they're so pretty," sighed Kibum. "But why would your granny give you necklaces? You're a boy!"

"That..is a secret. I'll tell you that next time." Answered Jonghyun as he continued to show Kibum the things he treasured.

The day went past quickly and both Kibum and Jonghyun was exhausted, so they lay on the grass to rest.

"Jjongie,"

"Yeah?"

"Are you coming tomorrow?"

"...hmm."

"Okay. I’ll be waiting then."

"Hmm."

Hearing Jonghyun’s answer, Kibum smiled and fell asleep on the grass.


When he woke up, he was on his bed and it was already morning. Going down the hall to have his breakfast, a smile formed on his lips as he looked forward to Jonghyun’s arrival that day.

"Good morning, daddy mommy," Kibum greeted cheerfully. "Did the both of you sleep well?"

"Haha, look who’s in a good mood today!" laughed his father.

"Thank you dear, we slept well" his mother replied with a smile.

"That’s great! Wow, there's my favorite dish today! Thanks mommy!"

Kibum went on and finished his breakfast hastily and went to the garden to wait for Jonghyun to come.

An hour passed, then another. Soon, the whole day passed and there was no sign of Jonghyun anywhere. Kibum was a little disheartened to know that Jonghyun had not come, but he also knew that there must be an important reason why Jonghyun didn’t show up that day. He went back to the house and tried to call Jonghyun at his house, but no one answered the phone. Crestfallen, Kibum went back to his room.


It has been two weeks since that day, and there was still no sign of Jonghyun anywhere. Kibum was not able to contact him and with countless phone calls that had been made to Jonghyun’s house, not one was answered. As each weary day got by, Kibum was feeling more and more restless and worried. His initial calmness was stripped away slowly along with the days that Jonghyun didn’t show up. The confidence in himself that Jonghyun built up was also fading away, returning him to the state he was before he met Jonghyun. In fact, he was worse off than he was because of what he had lost. There was nothing the poor parents can do to keep Kibum from hiding in his room all day, and although they did try to contact Jonghyun’s parents, they couldn’t get through.

Up in his room, Kibum was lying on his bed after a fitful sleep last night. After getting used to Jonghyun’s presence, it felt wrong to be by himself for such a long period of time. There was nothing to look forward to, and he dreaded every hour he was enduring. Burying his head in his pillow, he started crying. He coughed and choked as the tears fell down his anguished face.

He blamed Jonghyun for disappearing.

He blamed his parents for not being able to find Jonghyun.

Most of all he blamed himself for behaving like this, and he was so absorbed in his crying that he didn’t hear the soft creak the door made as it opened.

 

 

A/N: Cliffhanger!
          Haha! Okay, so what do you think is gonna happen? I wanna know what’s expected so I can do something unexpected, so fire away with the comments!
And wow, this was so hard to write. Took me a week cuz I keep getting blocks.
This isn’t even the main story yet, and TBH, I have no idea what’s gonna happen. The storyline was decided, but the writing is based on my moods. This is just the prologue, people! And a damn long one at that. The real story is probably gonna take place in…… chapter 3? Hmm.
No doubt it’s my first time doing such a long story, and I have to say, this is so tiring to handle. I still have LOADS of projects undone, and exams are coming (?).Oh wells. IDK, IDC.
          So, like I said, I’m a beginner in writing, and I’m gonna need loads of criticism and stuff to get better at writing. So help me! [don’t be too harsh though
]
          Lastly, JONGKEY FTW!