Things That Go Unnoticed

Things That Go Unnoticed
 
 

 

 

When reviewing something, I'm told to start positive and end off negative. But does it really matter? No matter the order of things, they're still gonna happen anyways. My review of my observations is most certainly negatively more than half and a quarter of the time. The things I see, the things I witness. 

I noticed that things were out of place today. It felt different. And no one else recognized it but me. And that takes me to a point of how much I hate people with low comprehension skills. I was probably the only one able to understand things and not react like such a kid to mature matter. 

Health class for example. Most of my friends were just glad they could talk about a girl's body openly. It didn't matter either way to me, but would it kill people to ever just stop and think of more important matters? I did that, or, I'm doing that now. Someone's missing.

That girl. No one really knew her name, but they all had her on Facebook. I know I did. She was different from everyone else who walked these halls, but no one would notice her. Until she was gone. It's confusing how only now I realize how much I paid attention to her.

She was fascinating, an event on her own. She voiced her ideas, and she did everything differently right down to how she opened her locker. She would always crouch slightly, matching the height of the lock, shaking the lock first then spinning the numbers and it always took her a few tries to get it right. Some days, I heard her whispering the numbers to herself.

She was like me, in a way. She understood the world better than others, and knew that the teenage life didn't have to revolve around romance and grades. She was a bit of the artsy type, but not like your typical white vintage girl hipster. She never expected anything of anyone.

The lessons and events in school affected her. Especially the personal ones. When we talked about Women's Rights, she shared her views. When we talked about Mental Health, she shared her views. I liked her. She was unpredictable, as I remember. 

Her long chestnut hair that looked black in certain lights, her skin that gave her a vampire appearance, and her dressing. The way she always had her bracelets on one hand perfectly arranged, her clothes were almost always black and she did her makeup better than most girls. Did anyone talk to her? A few people would, but she never looked too interested in their conversation.

Maybe her mind was somewhere else. Off into the future, or just thinking about that book she read and what it meant. She related to things and she was the only one that I could ever relate to in return. Except, I never did. I never spoke to her. I doubt she even knew I existed.

If I had spoken to her, what would she say? Would she like me too? Or maybe we could be best friends. I needed one anyways. A friend that didn't bore me. She never bored me. 

Where did she go? She was never not at school. Maybe she got sick for the first time. Maybe she moved away. But I missed her. 

The next morning, she was there. Performing her perfect routine. She was crouching slightly, as her dark hair fell over her shoulders and she opened the lock. And that's when she noticed me standing me beside her. 

"Can I help you?" Her voice was soft. Like it was being dissolved into the air as the words left her lips.

"Uh... I guess you could. See, I have an incredibly boring life and I was wondering if you could help me fix that."  

She smiled.

"I'm Sulli."

I smiled. 

"I'm Taemin."

She shook my hand with the kind of strength you would not expect on such a petite person. But nevertheless, this was the closest form of interaction I had ever had with her and I was hoping for many more to come.

We were in English class now. I personally loved English, but clearly many others disagreed because they would complain about Mr. Schuster's teaching ethics and unfairness every time we entered the classroom. I really didn't mind any of that. I learned in that class and isn't that all that really mattered?

She was right behind me, diagonally to the right. As the lesson went on, she would shift actions from scribbling in her notebook to puffing her cheeks and blowing out. I laughed to myself at how vibrant she looked against the rest of the class. 

Halfway through the lesson, we were assigned to read The Catcher in the Rye and all I heard behind me was the puffing of cheeks and a loud pop with a blow of air escaping. Then she was standing up. 

"Do you have anything to say, Jinri?" 

"I prefer to be called Sulli. And we are about to replay the classic scene where the individualistic thinking girl stands up to her by-the-book teacher and walks out."

"I don't exactly understand what you're trying to say."

"I request that we read something else besides the reading list the board of education assigns to eleventh-graders. I suggest we read Looking for Alaska."

"That book is too controversial." He argued.

"And that is exactly why we should read it! To teach young minds like ourselves the real values in life and maybe even learn about why the book is banned in so many libraries and schools." 

"Jinri, if you can't comply with the rules then I suggest you leave."

She gathered her things with the whole room watching her and she left without a word. Only to return a few seconds later to shout: "And it's Sulli!" 

And thereupon she shut the door closed and I found myself smiling at her. Mr. Schuster caught sight of my glow and decided to assume I thought her actions were funny. Well of course they were funny. She's hilarious. But this was where the excitement in my life would start. 

I stood up, and left the classroom. Walking right past Mr. Schuster and my smile never left my face. I said nothing. I didn't need to.

There she was. Sitting cross-legged in the middle of the empty hallway. Waiting. For me? 

"It took you long enough." She said matter-of-factly.

Those were the second set of words she had spoken to me besides introducing herself.  After we said our names, we didn't say anything else so I just left. She didn't seem to notice. But I guess she was still thinking of me.

I was about to join her on the floor, but then she stood up. She was shorter than me, but tall. For a minute, maybe even two, she stared at me. And I stared at her. I didn't what she was doing, so I used the time to take in her eyes. They were quite large, but in a good way. And they were shaped like an almond with too much width in the middle. Her eyes were blue. A brilliantly bright and beautiful blue. The thin eyeliner brought out the colour even more.

It was maybe then that she said: "You're half Asian, half white."

And then I replied: "I'm Korean and Irish."

"You're kind of hot. But you knew that. You've had girlfriends." I did know that. Getting a girlfriend wasn't hard, it was just the matter of whether I wanted one.

Then she grabbed my wrist and we were running down the halls and then the stairs and then we were outside. When we stopped, she let go of my wrist and stood back a few feet away from me. 

"So now that we've left school, we can do something crazy." 

And that's when I finally got it. My life started now and I could do anything I wanted. All because of the beautiful girl standing in front of me.