Long Live

The Arthurian Date

"Eh? What is this?"

Kyuhyun saw a scroll in front of their dorm door. He was hesitating to get it at first, but thinking that it might be a present from a fan, he walked towards it and ducked to pick it up. Somehow, it attracted him. It was mysterious. It was very peculiar.

When the scroll touched his skin, he felt a volt of electricity traveling from his fingers to his heart. On impulse, he drew back almost immediately. He had a goosebumps all of a sudden. "Was that my imagination or..." he trailed of as he walked towards the scroll again. That time, he picked it up. The same shock was there, but it wasn't as strong as the shock that he felt awhile ago. He successfully grabbed the scroll and opened the door of their dorm.

"Oh gosh, King Arthur is going to be killed by Morgana! No!"

Kyuhyun sighed. Sungmin was on it again. The whole group was on vacation, and since the two of them still had individual schedules for the week, they could not travel overseas or somewhere else. They were left there alone in their dorm on the eleventh floor.

His hyung had been watching the same series for almost half a week already. Whenever he would go home from his schedule, Kyuhyun would see Sungmin watching the series. And the latter was also into the character of King Arthur, one of the notable heroes in the series.

King Arthur was a young, brave and wise knight that eventually became a king after the death of his father, the late King Uther. In the series, King Arthur shouldered a big responsibility of taking care and protecting the kingdom of Camelot. Being completely different from his father, he ruled Camelot with great wisdom and passion for its people. With the help of his friends and knights, the Druids, a group which possessed powerful sorcery, Arthur would build a kingdom that would last a thousand years. And Merlin, the title character, would play a large role in that prophecy - he, being the greatest sorcerer on earth, kept a secret from Arthur who witnessed the bad side (and the good side) of magic in order for the former to make Arthur the greatest king and to fulfill his mission of regaining the magic in Camelot. Sungmin was fascinated about the series' story.

To be honest, it was Kyuhyun's fault that he suggested to watch the popular series. And Sungmin liked it; he especially loved King Arthur. Name everything positive traits - it was Sungmin's description of King Arthur. Sungmin was really amazed at the legend - and Kyuhyun was not okay about it at all.

"Come on, Hyung. He is just an actor. He is not the real King Arthur," Kyuhyun said. That time, he was regretting that he let Sungmin watch it. Days passed and Kyuhyun had become more annoyed. He disliked how his hyung was paying attention to the series - more than him. "And it is not the real story of King Arthur."

Being the 'bookworm' as he was, he already read the 'Le Morte d'Arthur' or 'The Death of Arthur' by Sir Thomas Malory. It was different from the series, however, the values and the same Arthurian Legend were visible in both media.

"Don't go there, Arthur!" Sungmin screamed, as if he was really talking to the king. Kyuhyun sighed as he realized that he was being ignored. He went to his room to change his clothes. Sungmin was really bad. He was really really bad.

He placed the scroll on his desk, but he took all his time to observe it as he sat on a chair. It wasn't just an ordinary scroll created in their time. He knew it. He somehow felt something different when he picked it up again. Something that touched his heart. And it could have been something that he had encountered before.

The scroll was made of an ancient paper. Its natural color was fading, that was why he deduced that it was an ancient scroll. But who could have left the scroll outside their dorm? Was it destined to be there?

Well, he believed in destiny. He also believed in fantasy because he was exposed to RPG's and stuff.

He put the scroll back to his desk and he lay down on his bed. And as he closed his eyes, he was still bothered about the mysterious scroll.

***

There was a knock on the door that made him open his eyes once more. He heard a familiar voice outside. It was Sungmin. He stood and went towards the door to open it. "What do you want?"

"Oh, Kyuhyun, you're here already?" Sungmin said. Kyuhyun nearly put his palm on his forehead in disappointment. He was long been there, but Sungmin only noticed him that time. He heard the ending theme of Merlin - that was why it was only then that Sungmin realized that Kyuhyun was already home. Irritated, Kyuhyun closed the door and locked it. "Kyuhyun, I had a new game console for you. Open up!"

Although he was mad at his hyung, the latter still knew that it was his weakness. He excitedly opened the door and grinned this hyung. "Where?"

Sungmin displayed a playful grin. "Just joking."

And his irritation was doubled. He closed the door again and vowed to himself that he would not open it again. However, before he could close the door completely, Sungmin blocked it with his arm. The latter screamed in pain.

And he broke his vow to himself. It was his another weakness - to see Sungmin in pain. "Hyung! Are you alright!?" He touched Sungmin's arm. "Gosh, you're bleeding."

"It's okay, Kyu," Sungmin smiled. "This is just a scratch."

"D-Do you... want to go in? I'll treat your wound," Kyuhyun opened the door again and let Sungmin enter. He closed the door before Sungmin. "I'll just get the first aid kit. Sit on the chair first."

Sungmin nodded and obeyed Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun walked towards a mini cabinet that contained the first aid kit, some gifts from fans, and other things. Sungmin looked around. "Wow, our room was still like this."

Ever since Sungmin started moving out from their shared room, it had been too quiet for Kyuhyun. Yes, it was still the same room - same desk, same books, same wine racks, same cabinets, same beds - but it was not the same without Sungmin. "It felt a little lonely though. It felt weird that a lot of your things were removed."

Sungmin smiled but he didn't speak. He focused his attention to a scroll on Kyuhyun's desk. "Kyuhyun, what's this?"

Kyuhyun took a glance at Sungmin and learned that the latter was talking about the scroll. He got the first aid kit and closed the cabinet. He approached Sungmin. "Well, I randomly picked it outside. It was kinda mysterious so I took it in. I thought it was a gift from a fan, but believe me, it is too weird like I have seen it before, but I don't know where-"

"I think I've seen this before as well," Sungmin commented and opened the scroll. "My heart is telling me to open it so-"

Before they knew it, the scroll emitted a light that was too bright. Kyuhyun put his arms to cover his eyes. But he tried to look for Sungmin. And he was shocked to see that the latter was slowly disappearing with the light. He hugged him and shouted, "Sungmin!"

That was the last thing he remembered.

***

Kyuhyun opened his eyes. His sight was still blurred due to the light that suddenly took them somewhere else. He realized that he was outside because he was seeing the sky from where he was lying.

Remembering that Sungmin was with him, he immediately sat down and looked for his hyung. "Sungmin!? Sungmin hyung?"

He looked around and he was surprised at what he saw. Not only he was outside the dorm but he was outside the country. Definitely, there was no place like that in South Korea. Everything looked so old - the houses that were made from wood, stone and straws. There were carts and wagons that contained different kinds of vegetables. There were a stable and pig pens near the houses. About one hundred meters away from where he was, he could see a forest. There was no source of electricity, no appliances, no electronics. The place was like a movie set a thousand years ago.

That rang the bell inside his head. He was definitely not on their present time. They were taken by the scroll back in time. He was sure of that. But people were nowhere to be found. He started to worry - did the scroll take him to a remote place? Where was Sungmin?

He stood and ran as he looked everywhere for Sungmin. "Sungmin! Sungmin hyung!" He started to worry about his hyung. "Hyung! Where are you!?"

He stopped from running when he saw a cluster of people wearing those that were not made of silk nor cotton, but wearing seamed cloths made of wool and animal skin.

"A sorcerer was captured awhile ago, and he was wearing unusual clothes. The village head thought that he possessed dark magic, so he was taken here to be hanged to death," one villager, who was about fifteen meters away from him, said to another. "He said he was with someone else."

Could it be... Sungmin? Kyuhyun thought. W-What!? He's going to be hanged to death!?

His heart started to beat fast as he saw Sungmin taken by a lot of men. He looked so helpless because his hands were tied. Yes, Sungmin new martial arts but he could not fight someone unless they were proven enemies. He was pulled by the village head, who was in his fiftees to sixties, to an execution platform with a rope.

"This man is guilty of sorcery, proven by his clothes," The village head said to all who were watching. "All sorcerers and witches who practice magic are evil and must be executed, according to King Uther!"

The people shouted in victory.

"According to this filthy sorcerer, he was with someone else. That someone could also be a sorcerer so whoever captured his ally would receive ten crates of carrots and cabbages," the head of the village declared. He turned to Sungmin. "Any last words, sorcerer?"

Sungmin glared at the village head and yelled. "Sorcery is not a form of evil! It is the people like you who don't know about it are the ones who are evil, killing innocent men! I am not going to let you capture Kyuhyun!"

The village head smirked. "You have all the courage to say that to me, you filthy creature!" The village head hit Sungmin on the face.

Kyuhyun breathed simultaneously as he clenched his fists tightly. No one could hurt Sungmin. No one!

From where he was, he ran towards Sungmin. Being a fool as he was, he bumped into the village head and the latter fell to the ground. "Who are you!?" He asked angrily. "Are you the other sorcerer!?"

"Kyuhyun!" Sungmin screamed when he saw four men grabbing Kyuhyun's arms.

"No one can hurt Sungmin hyung!" He screamed and tried to break free. He himself could not believe it when he was able to break free. And in his shock, Kyuhyun was eventually holding a sword. The villagers stepped back. Kyuhyun stepped back as well to protect Sungmin. "If you come to us, I will not hesitate to use this on you!"

"What is happening here?"

A voice from not so faraway distance was heard. The owner of the voice was wearing a silver armor and was riding a horse. There was a man behind him and he was wearing worn-out blue clothes and a red scarf, and was riding a horse as well.

"King Arthur!" Sungmin exclaimed in delight. Kyuhyun looked at Sungmin first then at the man in silver armor. It was indeed King Arthur - he looked like the actor in the series.

"Sire," the village head and the other villages bowed as a sign of respect. "These two men here are sorcerers. They are wearing something unusual."

"How can you say so? And why is there an execution platform here? Why are you trying to execute without my orders?" the King asked.

"But the late King was not merciful towards the sorcerers, Sire. He orders the village head to execute the sorcerers when we see one-"

"I am the king now," King Arthur declared. "These people who are convicted to sorcery will undergo the same procedure and trial just like all those who commit crimes such as thievery and treason. Your act is another form of treason, forging the powers of a king! It is subject to execution, do you know that?"

The village head bowed in fear. "I humbly apologize, Your Highness! I am handling these sorcerers to you, now, Sire," he told the king. After that, he ordered the villagers to go back to their houses and vacate the area.

"Cool!" Sungmin exclaimed as the villagers vacated the area. Kyuhyun's eyebrows met as he heard what Sungmin said. "King Arthur is really cool in real life!" Sungmin ran towards King Arthur. "Thank you, Sire! I am a big fan of yours, Sire! I am Sungmin! You can call me 'Ming' for short!"

Kyuhyun hissed. "Is he serious?"

The king looked at him suspciously. "How is a woman like you wearing such... manly clothes?" the King asked. Sungmin laughed. "And... what is a 'fan?'"

"A fan is someone who admires you very much, Sire," Sungmin answered. "You are such a cool king, Sire!"

"Cool?" King Arthur's eyesbrows met. "I am really pleased about you admiring me, but you and your companion over there, are mysterious. Are you a sorcerer?"

"We are not sorcerers, S-Sire," Kyuhyun said, hesitating to say the last word. "We came from the future. There was a scroll that took us here. And now, we are hoping to go back to our home."

"A scroll?" the king asked.

"Arthur," the man behind him called the him. "I think that the scroll that they are talking about is the scroll that Gaius was hoping us to find. It said in the prophecy that two people wearing unusual clothes who came from another dimension would come here through the scroll. However, they are not sorcerers. One of them possesses great knowledge and the other possesses a great strength and courage to fight. The two of them are going to play a large role on the next battle and they will be the key for Camelot to gather all other kingdoms to sign a treaty of peace if we win."

"Which is which?" King Arthur asked. "Are you willing to help us?"

"Of course-"

"I am sorry, Sire. Sungmin and I are going back to our world no matter what it takes," Kyuhyun turned around and walked away. Sungmin called him and followed him. King Arthur alighted from the horse and pulled Sungmin closer. Kyuhyun noticed that Sungmin was not following him anymore so he turned around. He was shocked (and annoyed) when he saw the king almost hugging Sungmin. "Sungmin!"

"If you want me to release Sungmin, then you have to fight me first," he smirked. Kyuhyun formed a fighting stance. He and Sungmin would go back to their world, even if he didn't know how just yet, whatever it takes. "We'll meet in our palace, before midnight."

Kyuhyun was frozen when he saw Sungmin being taken by Arthur. He wasn't able to do anything and before he knew it, Sungmin was riding the same horse as Arthur's. "Damn it! How will I get there!?"

***

It was already midnight. Kyuhyun went to the palace and Arthur let him in. They went to the duel arena.

"The rules are simple. First down loses. The winner would make the other do as he pleased. Understand?" It was Arthur.

Kyuhyun looked at him fiercely. "Where is Sungmin first!?"

"Lady Sungmin is going to be here shortly," Arthur informed him.

"L-Lady!?" Kyuhyun clarified. After a few minutes, they heard the door opening. And Kyuhyun was shocked to see Sungmin in a dress. "F-ing hell!?"

"She looks beautiful, doesn't she?" Arthur remarked, and Sungmin blushed. Kyuhyun rolled his eyes. He was so amused that Sungmin was liking the dress. Well, he used to wear a dresses in crossdressing, and also whenever he was sleeping. He looked beautiful, yes, but Kyuhyun would not let the king think that he was a woman. And he would not let Arthur take Sungmin away from him. "Let me take this opportunity to state my condition. If I win, I would seek your help for the next battle and you would stay here until the next battle. I will also help you go back to your world after that. However, you're not going to take Sungmin with you. I will marry her."

Kyuhyun's eyes widened. "W-What!? You can't marry Sungmin because Sungmin is a-"

"Then win against me," Arthur said. "What are your conditions?"

"If I win, you would let us go without us helping you. And I will take Sungmin with me," Kyuhyun stated. "I would not let you take Sungmin away from me!"

"Let us see," Arthur said and posed a fighting stance. Kyuhyun did the same. "Let us begin!"

Kyuhyun screamed as he ran towards the king. The king was able to block his attack. The king showed a great knowledge and physical skills throughtout their swordsplay. If only he was as good as him, or if swords were still a means of fighting in their time, he would be able to do it.

"You're good, Kyuhyun," Arthur praised him. But it didn't make him happy - he was insulted. He was good yet he could not make this king fall on the ground. He was good but it was because Arthur was not fighting just like how he did in the series.

He was disappointed of himself. He attacked again with his sword and it made him angrier - more frustrated because he was weak enough for the king not to take him seriously.

Kyuhyun was not that skilled in swords - he had never held one, but because of his will to take Sungmin back to their world, he fought and fought until he had lost all his physical energy to fight. he was not concerned of him being beaten - he was concerned of the consequences of him being beaten. And that was all he had.

Maybe Arthur was really the one for Sungmin - the latter loved him anyways. He was nothing but another warrior who would be beaten by the king.

"Come on, Kyuhyun, fight me!" Arthur teased. Kyuhyun screamed once again in anger. It was like he was looking at himself - he wanted to beat himself so bad because he didn't deserve Sungmin and because if the king was a real enemy, how could he protect Sungmin?

He found an opening and he was able to attack the king by bumping him, but the king did not fall.

"Kyuhyun!" Sungmin shouted. That made him stop. It was Sungmin's voice - his voice that was pleading him to stop. But that was also the time when Arthur was able to shove him, making Kyuhyun fall on the ground.

Shocked, he was not able to speak after falling. Arthur extended his hand to help Kyuhyun up. "It was a great fight, Kyuhyun. You are strong."

Kyuhyun held his hand and pulled himself up. "You didn't even use all your energy to beat me," he said in a low voice.

"You're wrong," Merlin, his man servant, said. "Arthur is not the kind of person who would do something mediocre especially if it is for Camelot. It is all his strength, Kyuhyun."

Kyuhyun was surprised. Did that mean he was able to do it, without even realizing it? "However, I won. As a knight of honor, all our agreements would take place."

"But you can't marry Sungmin," Kyuhyun said. "He is a man."

Arthur smiled. "I know," he said. "I just want you to be more focused."

***

Kyuhyun and Sungmin stayed in the palace. They were given seperate rooms, and they were also asked to join the king and the knights in the banquet. It was always a feast and Sungmin loved it.

The king and Sungmin would always spend time together.

They were introduced to the knights - Sir Leon, Sir Gwaine, Sir Elyan, Sir Lancelot and Sir Percival, to Guinevere, the king's future wife, and Gaius, the court physician. Sungmin was amused to see all of them in real life. He was the center of attention. And he disliked that. It was like he was again left alone, being ignored. But what could he do?

Kyuhyun excused himself and went out the banquet room. He walked towards a window and looked at the moon. It had been four days, were the members worried about them?

He wanted to go back to his real world. But Sungmin didn't like to. He himself said that he wanted to stay.

"What is the problem?" Kyuhyun turned around to see Merlin. "Was that about what he said before?"

Kyuhyun nodded as a reply. Merlin was there when they were discussing things about going back and such. Sungmin obviously was not happy to go back for whatever reason. Kyuhyun got mad at him and he told Sungmin that he didn't care for his friends anymore. That was also why they weren't talking to each other.

"Sorry Kyuhyun for involving you in all this," Merlin apologized.

"Not a problem," Kyuhyun said. "Sungmin was somewhat like you, Merlin. You're always a shadow. We have a lot of members in our group, but fans treated us unequally. Sungmin was good in everything yet he was not given enough attention by a lot. Sometimes I ask myself if this is where he needs to be. At least here, he has all the attention that he likes. He does not have to do greatest things for others to appreciate him."

"But you appreciate him, right?" Merlin asked and approached Kyuhyun. "I don't know what you do in your world, but I think you are more like Arthur. You care about your friends so much even if it would make you unhappy. And now, you think Sungmin has to stay here even if it makes you unhappy, right? But do you  think he'll be happy here? Maybe yes, but after a week, or two weeks, he'll be missing you and your friends because he belongs in the present. He belongs beside you Kyuhyun."

Kyuhyun did not speak for some time. But he smiled. He remembered how he started watching the series. It was because of Merlin who was like Sungmin in many ways. Sungmin was doing his best to support the other members without selfishness. Merlin did it too. "How about you, Merlin? Are you happy right now that you are hiding something from Arthur, that you don't get any credit even if you do everything to protect Arthur?"

Merlin smiled. "I do not care less about the credit. I know that I belong beside Arthur, Kyuhyun. I might be his man servant and he is treating me like I am a fool most of the time, but he also treats me as a friend. And I treat him as a friend to. I believe in him, Kyuhyun. I believe that he is the greatest king that Camelot has. And most importantly, he trusts and believes in me too."

"You are really like Sungmin. I understand now, Merlin. After the battle, we will go back to our world together. And I swear, I'll protect him forever because he is my friend and I love him."

Merlin nodded and gave him a tap on the shoulder before leaving.

***

Kyuhyun woke up when he heard the ring of a bell. He knew what that was - it was trouble.

He immediately went out from his bed and went to Sungmin's room. However, the latter was not there. He searched for Sungmin but he was not found anywhere.

Kyuhyun saw the king's army preparing for the battle. It was too soon - the army was not able to prepare for it. There was a surprise attack from the side of the other kingdom. And he knew exactly who made it happen - Morgana.

He went to the armory to put on his armor and get a sword. But he wasn't confident at all. He had to find Sungmin and do whatever he could to take him back home where he belonged.

He met Gaius along the way. He was holding some antidotes. Some of the king's soldiers were already wounded, but that didn't stop Kyuhyun. He ran to find the king. Arthur was already with the knights of Camelot preparing for battle. "Kyuhyun!"

"Let me fight with you, Your Highness," Kyuhyun said. The king had all his trust on Kyuhyun now that he gave his sword to Kyuhyun. "Why are you giving me this, Your Highness?"

"I am not giving it to you, Kyuhyun. I am letting you borrow it," the king corrected. "That is the sword that I was able lift from a boulder, and I still didn't know how I made it, but I believe that the sword would bring us piece. Take care of it and protect your friends."

"Yes, Sire," Kyuhyun said. When the king ordered the knights to charge, he fought with all his might. Back to back with the king, he knew he would be able to do it.

"For Camelot!" Arthur shouted and made everyone fight with all their strength. They were able to win against their enemies. Their enemies retreated. But all of them knew it was not over yet.

"Do you think your swords will against me? Then you're wrong!" Morgana said from the distance.

"Swords may be useless, but magic is not!"

They all looked at Sungmin who spoke. He was with Merlin and it seemed that they were ready to fight Morgana.

"Sungmin! Stay away from her!" Kyuhyun shouted to stop Sungmin, but the latter didn't listen. Arthur held Kyuhyun's shoulder who was about to run towards Morgana to save Sungmin. Arthur shook his head. But Kyuhyun was determined to save Sungmin so he struggled to let go from Arthur and he ran towards Morgana. "I'll protect you, Sungmin!"

He prepared to stab Morgana with the Arthur's sword but he was thrown away by Morgana. He fell on the ground almost a yard behind Morgana.

"Kyuhyun!" Sungmin called, but there was no reply. Kyuhyun was unconscious.

"I told you you'll never defeat me," Morgana laughed evilly. "Not any sword would make me fall! And you, what can someone like you do to defeat me?"

Merlin held Sungmin's shoulder and casted a spell. Sungmin joined Merlin in casting a spell that made Morgana paralyzed from where she was standing. The moon was on their side. She realized that Sungmin's shadow was interlocking her shadow.

"So... that was why Sungmin didn't move to go to Kyuhyun, brilliant," Arthur smiled. "It was Sungmin's knowledge I see."

Kyuhyun stood and from Morgana's back, he stabbed her with the sword. "No sword except this would make you fall, Morgana. This is the excalibur."

Morgana felt intense pain from her back. She fell on the ground. However,  there was an intense wind that blew and before they knew it, she disappeared and no one was able to see where she went.

And so, after that battle, Camelot and the other kingdoms were able to sign a treaty of peace. Arthur and Merlin thanked Kyuhyun and Sungmin for helping them.

"Thank you very much, Sungmin and Kyuhyun," Arthur said. "I was hoping to keep you longer, but I guess you could go now. By the time I sign the treaty of peace, according to Gaius, you would be taken back to your world, that is if you want to go back."

"Sungmin, do you want to stay?" Kyuhyun asked.

Sungmin smiled and held Kyuhyun's hand. "As much as I like it here, I still think that I belong to our real world. I belong with you, Kyuhyun."

Kyuhyun was contented at that answer. He looked at Merlin and the latter bowed to him. Why would he bow to him though?

"Long live the king!" All of those in the court shouted in victory. And before they knew it, the same light that took them there appeared before them. Before the two could completely disappear, he saw Arthur, Merlin, and the rest bowing before him.

***

He woke up from a deep nap. He didn't know if it was a dream, but he already understood everything. He stood and walked towards his desk. The scroll was still there, unopened. Maybe it was just a dream. And it was the greatest dream that he ever had.

He opened the scroll and he was surprised to see what's in it. He left the scroll on his desk and went to the living room. He saw Sungmin sitting on the sofa, still watching his favorite series. From his back and even if the sofa was separating them, Kyuhyun hugged Sungmin tightly.

"I accept it. Thanks for being with me, Sungmin," Kyuhyun whispered. Sungmin was shocked at first, but he just smiled and  his left hand held Kyuhyun's arms that were hugging him. His right hand,  meanwhile, grabbed the remote control. He decided to turn off the television. Kyuhyun was more important, that's why.

What was in the scroll anyway?

"Treaty of Peace: Long live Kyuhyun and Sungmin... forever."