Bikes and Bells

Bicycles

Chanyeol's always been a klutz, so much that his parents were reluctant to give him a car when he entered university. That didn't really bother him, he enjoyed biking. (Even if it meant that he had to get up almost two hours before his classes - which happened to be at 9am - to bike to the university.)

Chanyeol had bought his bike (his so called "baby") when he was still in middle school. He saved up the money by taking up in a part time job delivering milk in the morning on weekends. At first his family was in disbelief, and insisted that he find something else, something safer. They couldn't believe that their klutz of a son was going to ride a bike (and with a load of glass bottles of milk too).

"You'll get hurt!" his mother insisted.

"You'll break all the bottles of milk...." his father complained, and added "and then I'll have to pay for the damages.

Chanyeol's sister was supportive, if not finding humor in the situation. Though, she understood why her younger brother was so insistent on working. (The Park's were well off and Yeollie wanted to do something on his own. Though his choices.... were far from what she thought he'd pick).

"Just let him do it mom, have a little faith. Chanyeol isn't going to screw up that badly. And dad, I'll pay for the damages."

After that, both shut up. They had always been submissive to the eldest child. Chanyeol, however wished that it was his parents that cared, rather than his sister. He knew that "taking care of the damages" probably meant exploiting him to do whatever she wished.

But in the end, he went on with his job. Early Saturday morning, he would wake and walk from his house deep in their community to the far outskirts of it to the local milk store. The store was owned by a kind Kim family, that was happy to have another young helping hand. Their own son, Kim Joonmyun, would help out, but there was too much to deliver for one person.

"Too much for one person, but we're always happy for so much business" Old Mr. Kim would say.

Chanyeol was happy that he could help. The pay wasn't much, he earned about 20$ a day for his route, which totaled to 40$ per weekend and on an average month he'd earn 150$ (perhaps a bit more when Old Mr. Kim was generous.)

By 6am, Chanyeol was loaded and off to deliver milk. It was manual labour - he knew, but he had fun. The first couple of runs, he had to push the bike most of the way. What he lacked in physique, he payed back in charm and good looks when he had to explain why the milk was late. But he was persistent and practiced, by the end of the first month, delivering milk was easy.

Month after month, Chanyeol continued with his job. His mom continued to worry endlessly about him, but he always came back without a hitch. After about 6 months Chanyeol had finally saved about 200$ (he would typically send his pay soon after got, gaming at the local arcade - secretly). And he decided to spend that money on a bike.

Even now in university, Chanyeol kept up with his job, persistently working every weekend. Old Mr. Kim's son went off away to university, so they needed him anyways. Plus, Chanyeol went to school relatively near (his parents didn't want him to leave and that was okay.)

So pretty much Chanyeol loved his bike. It was sturdy, he had went big and got a pricey one. Over the years he added a basket in the front - no matter how girlish it was. And also a seat in the back, though barely anyone sat (besides his sister, and even then it was rare.)



Byun Baekhyun was the pride of his family, having left the country side farming life to go to the big city for university. But that also meant dormitory life. He enjoyed it, living alone in his own space with out his parents watchful eye. But he longed to go out and explore.

It wasn't like he hadn't before. Having been at the university for three years now, he knew how to get to the nearby restaurants and stores by heart. But he longed to ride on a bicycle. (Even in the country side, he had never rode a bike, but he grew up on a tractor.)

Call him old fashioned (and perhaps he is) but Baekhyun loved watching old time dramas. His favorite moments were when the boy would come to the girls home and ring the bell on the bike announcing his presence, and soon the girl would appear. The boy would whisk away the girl in his bike, but it wasn't like she sat in the back holding his waist (sure that was cute). Rather, the girl sat across the front, balancing her weight on the bar, trapped between the boy.

Oh how Baekhyun wished for someone to do the same for him.

So, it was to Baekhyun's immense surprise when one day in front of the familiar music building on campus that he saw a bicycle. It was rare to see it, with many of the students here driving cars, living in the dorms and taking bus (or in another extreme being picked up and dropped off in fancy black cars).

Baekhyun's heart swelled. It was the 5th time that Baekhyun had seen bikes this year, and he was hopeful. All the other 4 bikes, he had either missed the rider when he came back from class, or if he was lucky and caught a look at the rider, he was turned away by his looks.He wasn't shallow, so he'd tell himself. But if he were to have his version of his favourite drama played out, the man would at least be decent looking.

So Baekhyun prayed with all his heart that this would be the one. And then he quickly rushed off to class. When the class had ended, he thanked the lords that the professor had left them out early. Needless to say Baekhyun was the first out of the class, ignoring the cries of his friends and classmates.

He raced down the stairs and halted at the doors of the building. Thank god. The bike was still there. And now, he waited.

"What are you looking at?" was the only thing that registered in Baekhyun's hard head. He had turned around to see his friend Jongdae's face in close proximity to his. They jumped away from each other after realizing the situation.

"Don't scare me like that you troll!" Baekhyun huffed, and went back to looking out the window. "I'm looking for the owner of the bike."

"Oh?" he hears Jongdae say, but doesn't look back. Moments later, after a bit of shuffling and quitet mumbling, Baekhyun hears another "Oh... Oh!" Jongdae knows something, Baekhyun knows it, his tone of voice screams it.

"Kim Jongdae, what do you know?" Baekhyun asked, eyes never leaving the window. Jongdae answered nonchalantly "Nothing. I'm just a troll remember?" Baekhyun slouches, and he knows what he has to resort to. With a sigh, he turns away from the windows to face the other.

"Jongdae~" Baekhyun coos, a puppy pout graces his lips, "Tell me please~" Jongdae takes one look at the other and bursts out in laughter. Baekhyun's pride shatters, but he needs to find the bike's owner. "What's it to you?" Jongdae finally answers when he's done with his laughing fit. "Anything you want." Baekhyun knows he's entered into a dangerous situation, he prays that his mysterious rider is worth it.

"Okay, anything right?" Baekhyun nods. But isn't prepared when Jongdae asks for him to complete the assignment that their professor had given them a month to do. It's hell of a lot of work to transpose in the first place, and to do it for so many instruments and voices, and for the song Jongdae just happened to have chosen. (On top of that, he had a week to finish.)

"Okay, what do you know then?" Baekhyun wasn't stupid, and wasn't about to do work for free. "I can tell you who he is, what year he's in, what major he's studying... oh and what he looks like!"

Without a second though Baekhyun agrees. And regrets it when he sees Jongdae smirking.

"Alright, you have before the assignment is due to finish your end of the deal, and then I'll tell you who your rider is."

"WHAT?!"

"What? You think I'd let you get your way? I am a troll. But I'll be kind, and tell you what he looks like."

Baekhyun walks away from the Music building defeated. The mysterious rider has long gone, but at least Baekhyun knows what he looks like. Kind of. Jongdae says that 'he's tall, very tall, like 180; he has short dark brown hair, that's often styled up; he has large brown eyes and large ears, with his hair he kind of looked like a puppy".

It's enough to make Baekhyun giddy with excitement and anticipation. This has been the best looking (kind of) rider Baekhyun has seen (or not seen) so far. It's with this excitement that he plows through night and day on Jongdae's transposition assignment.

His dreams are filled with scenes of his favourite movie: he's the lovely girl, in his dorm waiting for the ring of the bell to beckon him. The bike he had seen appears in his dreams, in front of his dorms, waiting to whisk him away. All that's missing is the mystery rider.

Park Chanyeol. That's the name Jongdae tells him when he hands over the thick stack of papers. Jongdae looks over the work, happy that it's flawless as it should be (they were the class' top students). Park Chanyeol, 2nd year, majoring in computer science, with a minor in music - which explained the music building appearance.

Baekhyun likes to think he's not being a complete stalker after obtaining the piece of information that Jongdae just happened to know. (No, he's just doing research.) He hasn't had the time to ask just exactly why and how he knows. His time is consumed in finding out everything he can about Baekhyun, so much as to ask his professors and  classmates. (Thanks to Baekhyun's good looks, it was easy to get the girls talking. It was a pity that he didn't care for their flirtatious ways, he liked guys and that was that.)


 

Chanyeol walked out of his guitar class, and bumped into someone, promptly dropping his guitar. Strings of apologies were quickly muttered. Chanyeol didn't really look at who he injured, it was almost too frequently he bumped into someone being the klutz he was. He was too busy picking up loose sheets of paper and sheet music, to notice that the mystery person was still standing there.

"Did I hurt you?" was the first thing Chanyeol blurted out. The mystery person was quite short (but then again, most people were compared to him). But the mystery person was quite.... beautiful (if Chanyeol could use that to describe the man standing in front of him.) He liked how his blonde hair stopped right before his eyes, neat and tidy. He had a flawless face, and beautiful eyes. And a radiant smile. (He seemed to be glowing.)

Chanyeol was too caught up in his reverie to notice that the other was talking to him, until he noticed lips moving.

"Oh I'm sorry! What did you say?" Chanyeol was thoroughly embarrassed that he had been caught staring. (But perhaps it had been worth it for the other man was now laughing. And Chanyeol decided he liked the sound of that laughter).

"I asked if you were okay. My name's Baekhyun by the way."

"Chanyeol, Park Chanyeol. And I'm fine."

Chanyeol and Baekhyun awkwardly stood there in the halls facing each other, until Chanyeol mutters an excuse of something like he had to work and something and rushed off,  papers and guitar in hand. Chanyeol prayed that Baekhyun was going the other way, because he didn't really want him to see him riding his bike and think he was a dork or something. (and maybe he didn't want to be thought of as a dork because he kind of maybe sort of likes Baekhyun.) Chanyeol flushes at that thought and races away home.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) Chanyeol sees more of Baekhyun after the first encounter. Chanyeol wonders why he's never seem the pretty man before, but doesn't question it further. He can't deny that seeing Baekhyun in the halls of the music department, and the library and even occasionally, the computer science wing of the main building makes him smile and giddy inside. He wonders, just maybe that the campus  is much too small for two people to so frequently see each other. (But he wasn't complaining at all.)

It's two weeks of hellos in the halls, and quick conversations (and even quicker goodbyes because really Chanyeol does not want Baekhyun to think that he's the tall dork with a bike) later that Baekhyun approaches him in the library with a familiar face in tow.

"Oh Jongdae-hyung! And hello Baekhyun-ssi." Chanyeol greets when they approach him. He invites them to sit down and study with him, and they do. Baekhyun insists that he be called hyung, and not once does Chanyeol question their age difference because if Jongdae knows him, he's probably a hyung.

Moments of silence filled only with the sound of pen on paper and pages of books being turned passes by when Chanyeol hears "Jongdae, how do you know Chanyeol?"

Chanyeol panics. Jondgae is the son of one of the houses he delivers milk to on the weekends. He can't let Baekhyun know, so he jumps to answer with a "Oh you know middle school" which isn't a complete lie. He stares at Jongdae, praying he'll play along. A sigh of relief leaves him with Jongdae responds "Yeah middle school. We're not close so I never mentioned it."

The study session ends with an exchange of cell phone numbers and promises to meet back here soon again to study. Chanyeol rides on home with a cheeky grin that night.

It's about two months since he's got Baekhyun's number that Chanyeol's arrived at this ... rather interesting situation. The previous day, the two were on the phone laughing and talking about something on TV when Baekhyun asked "Chanyeol what do you think of me?"

Chanyeol loses his ability to speak, and mutters uhms and ahs to fill the silence. At least the other is patient and waits for an answer. Chanyeol thinks of how he should answer this question. In a span of two months, Chanyeol can confidently say that he was very much crushing on his hyung. They often met up in the practice rooms in the music department;  Chanyeol played his guitar while Baekhyun sang. The two had quickly become friends. He was often invited to the older's dorm, invited out to eat. (Chanyeol had yet to bring the other home to meet his family). Baekhyun knew about his family and background, and Chanyeol knew about Baekhyun's. They talked about eveything under the sun - except Chanyeol's bike.

"Earth to Chanyeol," is what brings Chanyeol back to the conversation. He knows he has to answer and so he does. But the brain to mouth filter in Chanyeol decides to malfunction, and it's all too late when Chanyeol mutters "I like you."

Chanyeol face plants into his pillow, wishing he could disappear when he hears the pretty melody of Baekhyun's laughter. When he hears nothing more on the other end, Chanyeol thinks perhaps Baekhyun has hung up (and if he did, Chanyeol would take it as a bitter rejection).

"Earth to Chanyeol,"Baekhyun has a habit of saying that Chanyeol notes. He replies with a quiet 'yes'.

Nothing prepares Chanyeol for what he's about to hear, but his mouth moves before his brain processes.

And that was how he was in his current situation. It was still early on this particular Friday morning, a rare chance that the school had a day off. (Frankly, it was just a two day break, or a longer weekend littered right before mid terms.) He was riding down to the local milk store, trying to think of a way to borrow Old Mr. Kim's car. His sister was already a definite no (despite his offer to do whatever she wished), and he didn't want to bother with the many questions his parents would ask, and even then it was probably a no.

For once, he had wished his parents gave him a car. Just so he wouldn't have to be rushing around to find a ride for the evenings date. A date with Baekhyun. And there was no way Chanyeol would pick him up with a bike.

He wasn't a fool. If for whatever reasons the stars were aligned and it just so happened that Baekhyun might have been the slightest bit interested in him, he was going to take it. And he was going to do it right: pick up Baekhyun in a car(albeit not his), drive him off to a restaurant he's already picked out with a killer dessert chef, and maybe if things go right, drive off into the sunset (okay, maybe not the last part).

After begging and bargaining with Old Mr. Kim, Chanyeol finally had a car for the evening, a Cadillac Escalade. It was Old Mr. Kim's baby; and Chanyeol got it with promises to work double route without pay (and further cuts from his pay if there were damages). He prayed that it would be worth it (because he had been looking forward to the new game that the arcade was going to unveil and now he'd have to wait.)


 

Baekhyun was giddy to say the least. His hard work for the past three months had paid off. First bumping into Chanyeo in front of his guitar class (it wasnt like he waited and purposely walked into the other), seeing each other in various places on campus (no he was't stalking, he just happened to be meeting someone who studied computer science), and then study "dates" (though Baekhyun never studied) and texts and phone calls. He finally got the balls to ask Chanyeol out on a date.

And now, it was 5 minutes before Chanyeol was supposed to arrive and Baekhyun couldn't stop freaking out.

Chanyeol was everything that Baekhyun dreamed of, every bit like the characters in the dramas (just a bit clumsier, but that's okay.) He was every bit a gentleman and a charmer. He had a deep voice that sent shivers up his spine when they wished each other good night. And to Baekhyun, the winning factor was none other than his bike.

So, you couldn't imagine the disappointment that Baekhyun felt when he heard two beeps five minutes later. Chanyeol was promptly on time, but in the wrong vehicle. It was a car, not the bike he had been hoping for.

He tried hard not to show it, but his mood was thoroughly ruined. What would have been a great dinner (the food was good, but the atmosphere was dead) turned out to be a quiet meal. Chanyeol tried to start a few conversation, but Baekhyun didn't feel like speaking.  When the meal ended (Chanyeol paid, though there was a disagreement over that) Baekhyun felt terrible. He had let his fantasies and hopes ruin what could've been a wonderful night. And he knew he spoiled it for Chanyeol too (his usually cheerful face was blank).

The ride back to campus was silent, and Baekhyun wished he could just say something, anything. It really wasn't Chanyeol's fault that the night had turned out for the worse. And if anything, Baekhyun felt that he made it worse. (No, it wasn't like Chanyeol could read minds and know to have rode the bike. He probably wanted to make a good first impression - a Cadillac Esclade was quiet something). Chanyeol was wonderful tonight, being the gentleman he always with, and without any accidents.

Baekhyun felt the pain in his chest worsen and the guilt upon his shoulders worsen when Chanyeol had pulled up wordlessly to his dorm. He rushed out to open the door for Baekhyun. And out of no where, Chanyeol gave him a box. "You mentioned you liked Tiramisu, but you didn't order dessert. The restaurant makes a killer tiramisu, so I ordered a take out slice for you, just in case you might want it later." Baekhyun stared incredulously at the other, and Chanyeol stopped talking. In his head, Baekhyun was screaming at himself to say something, do something, to thank him. But nothing was uttered.

Chanyeol smiled sheepishly and wished the older a good night. And without another word Baekhyun watched the car drive off into the night. The evening was a disaster to say the least. And it wasn't even the worse for himself, at least he had gotten a cake. Baekhyun couldn't help but frown at the thought of how Chanyeol would be feeling.

Baekhyun's suspicions were correct when the younger started to avoid him. Even in the music halls when they would have class at the same time, Baekhyun would see Chanyeol down the halls, and then see him rush away in the opposite direction. It annoyed Baekhyun to no end. He couldn't reach Chanyeol through texts, the other would always make an excuse of some sort and stop replying. And all of a sudden the campus seemed too big to Baekhyun because he couldn't find Chanyeol in all the usual places.

"It's all my fault. Me and my stupid fantasies." Baekhyun would utter to no one in particular. But it was after music classes and of course Jongdae would be there. Naturally, he was curious. But Baekhyun answered nothing and rushed away. (It felt almost like déjà vu). He couldn't let Jongdae know about his foolish and girlish wishes.

Finally, Baekhyun decides he's had enough with brooding over his mistake and chooses to game away his frustrations. On a free Saturday afternoon he heads over to the arcade, ready to vent out his problems on his favourite game. Baekhyun was in over his head as he walked in to the arcade, not noticing that familiar bike parked in the racks in front of the arcade.

He does however recognize the tall dark hair of Chanyeol's and he just knows it can't be anyone else.

"Chanyeol!" he cries, hoping he other could hear him over the noise in the arcade. It's evident he does, because the other freezes and loses the game he was playing. But Chanyeol made no effort to acknowledge Baekhyun (he could recognize that voice anywhere). Instead, he was already weaving into the crowd of people. Baekhyun could see that he was bolting to the entrance, and so he met up with him there.

"Chanyeol wait please."

"What is it Baekhyun hyung?" The bitter tone was a shock to Baekhyun, but he figured if would be the same if the roles were switched.

"Can I just talk to you? You can't run from me forever."

"I could. You know about my family."

"No! Please don't change schools or anything. Please just let me explain myself!" It wasn't like Baekhyun to beg, but he was desperate. He couldn't let Chanyeol out of his grasps without a proper explanation.

"Why should I let you explain anything? I told you that I liked you Baekhyun! I went out of my way to get a car so you'd be surprised when I came to pick you up. But no, you crushed all hopes of a good date, and you didn't even say anything about the cake. If you were just joking about the date and you know, you don't like me or anything, you could've just flat out reject me. You don't need to play games with me."

Chanyeol's words stung more than Baekhyun thought they would. And it was all well deserved.

"It's all a misunderstanding, and it's all my fault. You were nothing short of wonderful. The date, the food, the cake it was all amazing... just... one thing."

"What?" Chanyeol spat. Baekhyun could tell that the other's patience was wearing thin. He took a deep breath, and "It'sjustthatIreallywantedyoutopickmeuponyourbike."

Baekhyun waited for laughter that never came. When he finally looked at Chanyeol again all he got was a blank look and his large eyes bulging, furiously blinking.

"Earth to Chanyeol?"

"My bike." was all that he muttered before he smiled that smile Baekhyun loved. Except this time it was a lot brighter, and his eyes seemed to twinkle in delight.

"Wait here." and then Chanyeol rushed away.

Moments later, Chanyeol appeared again at the entrance, on his bike. And Baekhyun was on cloud nine when he heard the bell ring.

"Can I take you back to campus?"

"You aren't mad at me anymore?"

Chanyeol grinned again, and Baekhyun could feel his cheeks heating up, because he just really loved seeing the other smile. "It was a misunderstanding, for both of us. Here I want you to meet my baby."

Baekhyun gets a ride back to campus that day, despite him just reaching the arcade. It's not exactly the way he's imagined it (he's siting at the back but at least this way he gets the excuse to wrap his arms around Chanyeol's waist). He figures that now the their on friendly terms again, he could ask for a proper ride later.

Their friendship strengths almost immediately. Chanyeol tells Baekhyun the story about how he got the bike, starting from the very beginning of delivering milk. He cleared up how he really knew Jongdae. (Baekhyun laughed at the thought of middle school Jongdae waiting on the steps of his house for the milk boy to appear. Apparently, he really liked milk.) Baekhyun couldn't help but fall for Chanyeol's charms all over again.

It's a couple of rides on the bike later that Baekhyun finds that maybe his wish can finally come true. One particular late night phone conversation, Baekhyun is asked "what do you think of me". This was definitely déjà vu. But Baekhyun is cautious, and doesn't blurt out the same sentence as the other did. He answers with "I think you are a wonderful person, talented guitarist, and of course I love that you cycle." Baekhyun bits his lip in anticipation for Chanyeol's reply. It's not exactly what Baekhyun wanted to hear when the younger replied with a similar, "oh you're amazing too" in that low voice of his.

The conversation continues on without a hitch. And a plan hatches in Baekhyun's head. There was a way for his wish to be fulfilled!

"Hey Chan?" Baekhyun heard a low hum and continues "Have you watched Love in Spring Time? Its one of my favorite movies. You should watch it!" He hopes that Chanyeol watches it, because in the movie the male lead's bicycle was always the answer to the female lead's troubles as he  always whisked here away on that bike. The movie also ended with that bike appear again (when she had thought it was gone) and the girl hopped on the front and the two rode off away from the paparazzi. He really really hoped Chanyeol would get the hint.

 

It's a quiet Saturday afternoon when Baekhyun hears a familiar bell ringing. His heart stops, and he's hopeful. He doesn't make any rash decisions until he hears the dinging again, followed by a call his name in that oh so deep voice he loved.

Baekhyun rushed to the window of his dorm and stuck his head out. "Chan! What are you doing here? It's Saturday."

"Are you free for the day?"

Baekhyun doesn't answer but rushes out of his dorm. He's hoping that this is what he thinks it is.

"Well, that was quick." Chanyeol grinned when he saw Baekhyun appear at the door to the dorm.

Baekhyun says nothing, trying to regulate his breathing having ran down from the 4th floor. He sees that the grin hasn't disappeared off Chanyeol's face and he's hopeful.

"Baek, want to come somewhere with me? I hope you have your keys and stuff because it really doesn't look like you should run back up 4 floors." Baekhyun knows that the other is teasing and doesn't reply.

"I watched the movie you know. It was really good." Oh? Baekhyun was intrigued, what was going to happen now?

"I'm free, what do you have planned?" Curiously laced his words.

"Lets have a picnic! I have prepared the food, it's in the basket, and the location, all I need is for you to come with."

"But you're carrying your guitar where am I going to sit?" Baekhyun is hopeful, but he doesn't want to ruin it by suggesting the wrong thing. What if Chanyeol didn't get the hint?

Baekhyun hears the ring of the bell followed by a "hop on!" And then Baekhyun see's that Chanyeol's stepped aside from the front of his bike, arms open waiting for him to sit... at the front of the bike.

Baekhyun can't help the smile that forms as he hops on. It's everything that he's dreamt of when Chanyeol sits on the seat and they're off to a destination unknown.

Chanyeol is humming the song that was playing in the movie in this exact scene, and Baekhyun can't imagine this getting any better.

"So."

"So?"

"I got your hint." Baekhyun doesn't have to look and he knows that Chanyeol's grinning.

"Yeah, you did." Baekhyun's voice is quiet, and he can feel heat radiating from his cheeks.

"Baek, you know... I really like you. A lot."

Baekhyun flushes to an even deeper red when he hears that . His 'I like you too' comes in a small whisper that he hopes the other heard.

"I know."

Baekhyun takes a deep breath and ".....Chan, will you be my boyfriend?"

Chanyeol never says yes. Instead, given his position, with Baekhyun's gorgeous profile (and bright pink cheeks) right infront of him from the way he's sitting, he chooses to just kiss the others cheek as a confirmation.

Baekhyun thinks, yes it can get better, and it's a million times better than any movie or dream.