Revelation

My best friend's girl

ByungHee’s POV

I came out from the flower shop with a smile on my face, having completed the task I set out to do. I whistled softly as I walked down the path towards the nearest coffee shop, my mind full of thoughts about the love of my life.

I didn’t know how it happened. One second she was Mir’s noona, and the next my girlfriend. On the day Mir introduced his noona to me, that was the happiest day of my life. I was smitten by just the mere sight of her, and I found it extremely hard to even look in her direction without blushing and embarrassing myself. Luckily for me though, she didn’t seem to notice my awkwardness, and the more I got to know her, the deeper I fell. Then finally on that one starry night a month after I knew her, I mustered up the courage to confess my feelings, and low and behold, she told me she felt the same. If I was happy on the day I met her, on the day we officially became a couple, I was in pure ecstasy.

None of them knew Mir had a sister, until the day I introduced her to the others as my girlfriend. I was glad they accepted her, and from that moment on, we were inseparable. We did everything that could be done together and I fell even more in love with every passing moment I spent with her. I thought she was the one, and I was willing, more than willing to spend the rest of my life with her. Or so I thought…

Just as how the leaves changed from summer to winter, so did she. She changed. And not for the better either. Lately, a month ago to be exact, she became different. She was not how she used to be. The smile she so often wore in my presence was long gone, replaced by a frown, like she was constantly smelling something bad. The sweet singsong voice that she always used when she talked to me on the phone disappeared too. Now there was always a hint of annoyance in her voice, as if she was being forced to talk to someone she didn’t like talking to. Maybe I did something wrong. Did I really do something wrong? I raked my brain, trying to figure out why the change in her behaviour. Something was definitely not right with her. Maybe she grew bored of me. Could that be it? I supposed I was a bit dependent on her, but when you have such a stressful job as mine, it was nice to have someone you can go home to, and share your problems with. That’s not wrong right? Or maybe it’s because I was too protective of her. No, she told me once that she liked me being protective of her. So then what was the problem?

When I reached the coffee shop, I mulled over the problem as I sipped my cup of coffee, waiting for the florist to complete the bouquet I ordered. I stared out the window, thinking about all the possibilities of making her fall in love with me all over again. I had come to the conclusion that she fell out of love with me along the way, and I was determined tonight to once again make her love me. Hopefully the surprised birthday party that I’ll be throwing for her tonight will work wonders, since I planned to not only give her a bouquet as a present, but a ring as well.

It wasn’t an engagement ring, no. We were far from marriage. It was a ring to symbolize my love for her, one that I bought using all of last month’s pay-check. I took the ring out from the box and twirled it in my fingers, admiring its beauty. Though I had no doubt that the wearer would be prettier.

I was minding my own business when a conversation from a nearby table floated over. I strained my ear to catch what the customers were saying, which almost caused me to drop the cup I was holding.

“I can’t do this anymore Mir.”

My eyes widened in surprise. That was her voice! And Mir? Mir was with her? What were they talking about? What can’t she do?

“Noona, you can’t tell him anything!”

“But Mir, I don’t want to hurt ByungHee oppa anymore. I don’t want to do this to him!”

“So what? You’re going to tell him? You’re actually going to tell him that you want to break up with him because you have someone else? Noona, do you know what that could do to him?”

The hand holding the cup trembled and I was surprised that I managed to put it down on the table without spilling its content. I shook my head, still in shock over what had been said. She has someone else? Since when? And who was it? Who was this guy that took away my girlfriend? Suddenly everything made sense, why she had been so distant lately, why she was always so annoyed... It became as clear as glass to me, why she had been acting the way she did. I clutched my shirt in my fist, my heart in pain. She might as well just stab me to death. Maybe that would not have hurt so badly.

I squeezed my eyes shut, wishing I could rewind the time and spare myself from this piece of news. But it would not have made much of a difference. She was still cheating on me with someone else. I turned my face towards the window, trying to stop the tears from falling. It was pathetic of me to cry in public, but she was, I supposed, my first ever girlfriend. A person I truly loved...  I was shivering to the bones, as if I had been standing in the cold for hours. I barely heard them leaving, so lost was I in the thought of her betrayal.

I stood up from the table, my knees shaking. I was unaware of my surroundings; I didn't know where I was going. I let my feet wander, I let my tears fall. It had begun to rain, and the thin cotton shirt I wore was soaking wet. The rain masked my tears, though there was no one on the street to see them. I ran then, as fast I could. I whisked by people shielding from the rain, I ran even though the tears were blurring my vision.

I stopped running when breathlessness took over and I doubled over as I tried to catch my breath. I welcomed the sharp pain as I inhaled deeply; as it momentarily diverted my attention away from the hurt I was feeling. I shook my head, still unable to fathom the situation. Glancing up at the sky, I noticed that it had stopped raining, and the tears that streamed down my face had begun to dry. I didn't want to succumb to the hurt, so I bit my lip in determination. I would go pick up the bouquet I ordered, and continue with the party. I would dress up in my best suit, just like I planned. I would give her the ring, and wait for her to reject it. I would ask her why, and she would tell me everything.

Little did I know that it did not turn out the way I had planned. She gave me a kiss, thanking me for throwing the party and giving her a bouquet. I observed her, trying to see if she was acting peculiar. I supposed she seemed friendlier than usual, even to SeungHo who she barely talked to. But there was nothing wrong with that, and she was exceptionally happy. I pulled her aside after a while, wanting to give her the ring.

I took the box out from my pocket, and watched as her eyes grew wide.

“Oppa, what is that?” She asked hesitantly.

The pain in my heart returned, but I smiled despite that. She used to jump for joy when I gave her gifts. Now she was scared that I wanted to give her stuff? I didn't want to show her I knew anything, not yet.

“It’s a couple ring.” I replied. “Look, I’m wearing one.” I said, showing her the ring on my fourth finger. “Will you do me the honor of wearing the other one? I want everybody to know that you’re mine. You know we belong together right?”

The smile from her lips seemed forced and I could see doubt shadowing her eyes. She opened as if to say something, but quickly close it shut, before she looked at me square in the face, and nodded her head.

“I’d love to wear the ring.” She said softly.

I gave a start, startled at her answer. It was not the one I was looking for. I stored the ring back in the box, and crossed my arms, waiting expectantly for her to explain. If I must say so myself, I was being extremely patient with her...

“What’s wrong oppa?” She asked quietly.

“Why don’t you tell me?” I said, shaking my head at her. “When do you plan on saying anything about it?”

“Say what oppa?” She said, sounding scared.

I stared dejectedly at her, willing my tears not to fall. I could not cry, not until I know who it was she was cheating on me with.

“You know.” She stated when she saw the look on my face. She quickly grabbed my hand, trying to desperately apologize. “Oppa, miahnae. I didn't mean to hurt you. I didn't know how it happened oppa. I never thought of SeungHo oppa that way before. It just... happened.”

“SeungHo?” I uttered. The name left my lips in a quiet breath, and my hands clenched into fists. How could I be so stupid? How could I not see it all this while? How did it all happen right underneath my nose? Why was I so oblivious to it all? Suddenly I realised it. Why she stuck around even after we fought, why SeungHo kept asking me about her, why they were always in the same place, at the same time...

How could my friend do this to me? My best friend? What did I do to deserve all this? I wasn’t a bad friend to SeungHo, so how could he betray our friendship just like that? Did it not mean anything to him? Was I so small that I was negligible? Like I  was just a speck of dust in his life?

“Oppa, are you ok?” She asked me worriedly.

I looked past her shoulder and noticed the man than destroyed everything. She turned around and saw him as well, before pulling him over towards me. What was she trying to do? Adding oil to the already burning flames?

“SeungHo oppa, ByungHee oppa knows about us...”

SeungHo looked at me, his expression fearful and apologetic. I scoffed inwardly. It was too late to be apologetic now.

I raised my still-clenched fist. One second it was by my face, before it clashed with SeungHo’s cheek the next, creating a loud sound.

He tumbled to the ground, his palm on his bruised cheek. That one blow did not ease my anger, but it still felt good nonetheless. He deserved much more, but as of that moment, he was not someone I wanted to be in the presence with. 


Chapter posted on: Aug. 20. 2013

Here is the next chapter! I'm not sure if I should continue or end this here. What do you guys think? Haha... Please do tell me in the comments ok? =D I hope you enjoy this chapter!!! ^^