Conclusion

My best friend's girl

CheonDoong’s POV

I hate Sundays. I really do. I hate it with a passion. Why? Because it marks the end of the week and the start of a new week. I’m always either too tired from Saturday outings or too lazy to go out, knowing that comes Monday, I’ll have to go back to work. So I always spend my Sundays at home, slouching on the couch, watching TV.

Today was no different. After breakfast was over, the couch called for me. There would be nothing good to watch on TV, there never was on a Sunday, but it would be on, and it so often happened that the TV would be watching me, instead of the other way around.

Today though, I was not alone. Usually I would be, but today, Mir and ByungHee hyung decided to join me in slouching on the couch. Mir was reading, which was a rare sight if you ask me. Maybe he was hiding a magazine behind the thick book he was holding. But whatever, he was not bothering me, so he could do whatever he wished to do, as long as he doesn’t start touching himself. ByungHee hyung on the other hand, was absent-mindedly staring at the TV, just like I was. But his mind seemed to be elsewhere, it was so unlike him to be daydreaming.

After he emitted about ten sighs, I focused my eyes on him instead. It was annoying honestly. I mean, I wanted a peaceful Sunday. Not a Sunday full of sighs. Something seemed to be bothering him, but before I had the chance to ask, SeungHo hyung walked out of the room, all dressed up in a black suit. I furrowed my brow. The hyungs were not acting like their usual selves... Strange.

I scanned his outfit from head to toe, and raised my eyebrow at him. “Wow, don't you look nice. Where are you going hyung?”

I watched as he checked his reflection in the mirror, before he focused his eyes on me. “Out with a friend. Why?”

“Friend really? Coz you look like you’re ready for a date.” I stated.

From the corner of my eyes, I saw Mir dropped the book he was holding and stared at SeungHo hyung, a frown on his face. Why in the bunny’s name is he frowning at our hyung? Did something happen between them? Come to think of it, Mir hardly spoke a word lately, especially to SeungHo hyung. He’s not even cracking jokes like he used to, or even made a fool out of himself. Why is everyone so strange nowadays?

“What do you mean CheonDoong ah? I’m just gonna meet a friend.” SeungHo hyung replied. I noticed he looked nervous, and of course I did not miss the subtle glance he threw at Mir. Ok, something definitely was not right here.

“No hyung. I mean, before when you go out to meet friends, you always wear hoodies and caps. But today you’re wearing a freaking suit. Either you’re meeting a guy friend, in which case that means you’re gay, or the friend is actually a special girl, which is more likely because you are like the least gayest person I know.” I elaborated.

He chuckled, and I noticed the slight tremble in his voice which made me furrow my brow even deeper. He was hiding something. And my gut feeling told me that Mir might have a clue as to what it was. Without replying, he bid us goodbye and flew out the door. I could literally feel the gush of wind that followed his departure. It was as if he was scared I might scrutinize him even more. Was it that wrong to ask some questions?

“Ok Mir. Spill.” I instructed once the front door slammed shut.

“Spill what?”

“I know you know something. Spill. What is going on with SeungHo hyung?” I asked.

He ignored my question, and instead turned his eyes towards ByungHee hyung, who emitted yet another sigh. He had been so silent the whole time I almost forgot he was there all along...

“Hyung, what’s wrong with you?” Mir asked as he peered over his book.

“Hmm?” He said distractedly. “Nothing. I’m just bored.”

“I thought you have a date with noona today?” I asked him, suddenly recalling the phone call I overheard between them.

“She cancelled on me last minute. Told me her friend from Canada just arrived so she was going to meet her instead.” ByungHee hyung replied.

“She told you what?” Mir asked sharply.

I in a deep breath, startled at his tone of voice. He sounded angry. Why would he be angry? Was that against the rules now? To meet a long lost friend?

“It doesn’t matter. I’m tired. I’m gonna go back to bed.” ByungHee hyung said before making his way towards his room.

“He seemed upset that noona cancelled on him.” I said after a while.

“He should be.” I heard Mir muttered under his breath.

“Do you know something Mir?” I asked, trying to get to the bottom of the whole situation.

“No, I don't.” He replied abruptly.

We lapsed into an awkward silence, and I was left with my thoughts. I was not going to ask him anymore questions, it wasn’t as if he was going to tell me anyways. I knew for a fact that he knew something, and I had the whole day to figure it out. Which means I don't need Mir’s answers. I will come to the conclusion myself.

So when did this odd behaviour starts? I recalled the past few weeks, and my mind flew to that day SeungHo hyung slammed his spoon on the table, leaving the rest of us startled at his behaviour. I guess he had been acting weird even before that, but I just never noticed it. I knew after that noona ran out after him, followed by Mir a while later. When they all came back, they pretended like nothing happened. And then I realised Mir started talking even less, and sometimes he even refused to be in SeungHo hyung’s presence. But why?

Actually, come to think of it, ByungHee hyung’s been acting weird as well. Lately, he got into a lot more arguments with noona, and he was home all the time. They seemed to be hitting a rough patch in their relationship, but wasn’t that normal? Don't all couples go through that at some point in their relationship? But then again, I wouldn’t know. I’ve never really dated before...

Last week before we went out for dinner, I knew they had a fight. But noona still came along for dinner, which was strange, because I noticed that when they fought, she would always avoid ByungHee hyung at all cost. The tension in the atmosphere was thick that night, and I remembered feeling suffocated. I also noticed how SeungHo hyung’s eyes would always focus on noona, dark and anxious. I remembered how worried they looked because I happened to see while biting into a tough piece of meat. It was weird because SeungHo hyung never really talked to her before. So why would he worry about her? Unless... My eyes suddenly widened with realization. It was a bizarre conclusion I came to, but it was also quite plausible. There was nothing I could do as of that moment, but wait for SeungHo hyung to come back.

He came back a few hours later, hair dishevelled and buttons popped open. I was still sitting on the couch, my body in the same pose as when he left. The rest were already in bed, giving me the privacy I wanted.

He the lights and jumped in shock when he found me on the couch. “Yah! You scared me! What are you still doing up?”

“You’re out late.” I commented, making my way over to him.

“Yeah well, one thing led to another you know...” He said, rubbing the back of his neck. “Is there something wrong?”

“Hyung, you’re an honest guy right?” I said quietly. “If I asked you something, you won’t lie to me right?”

He frowned. “What do you mean?”

I took a deep breath, deciding to just let it out. “Hyung, are you by any chance dating noona behind ByungHee hyung’s back?”

He gave me a startled look, which was more than enough confirmation for me. I shook my head at him, and rubbed my temples slowly. I was never wrong before, but a part of me had hoped that I would be wrong this time. Looks like my conclusion was plausible after all...

“Who told you that?” He asked me in a hush tone after pulling me into the kitchen. “Did Mir tell you that?”

I shook my head again. “He did not have to tell me anything. I just put the pieces together. Hyung, do you know the consequences of what you’re doing?”

“I know ok?” He replied quietly. “But I just... I love her CheonDoong ah. I can’t stay away from her. And she felt the same for me. She wanted to break up with ByungHee, but I told her don't.”

“Why not?”

“Because CheonDoong ah, even if they break up, I still can’t date her openly.”

“Oh? So it’s ok for you guys to date behind his back?” I asked with a frown. “Look hyung, I don't understand how all this could happen, but you have to figure something out. If ByungHee hyung knows, it’ll be the end of our company... and friendship.”

I left him in the kitchen and went straight to the room I shared with Mir. I plopped on the bed, staring up at the ceiling. How could SeungHo hyung fall in love with his best friend’s girlfriend? He should know that friend’s girlfriends are always off limits. Ok, granted that she reciprocated his feelings, that still does not make it ok for him to pursue noona. What was he thinking? Maybe he wasn’t thinking at all. That had to be it. Whatever the outcome, I just hoped everything would turn out alright in the end...


Chapter Posted on: Jul. 26. 2013

Another chapter up! Yeay! I'm so happy that I managed to update fast! Hehehe... Hope you guys like this chapter! Please enjoy! ^^