The pond

My best friend's girl

SeungHo’s POV

 

I chewed the food in my mouth slowly, surprising even myself. I am not one to ponder while eating, but this time around, I just could not stop myself. Across the table she was laughing at a joke ByungHee just cracked, and my heart ached. She sounded so... happy. It was wrong of me to feel this way about my friend’s girlfriend, but when the said girlfriend had been haunting my mind since the first moment she was introduced to me, I was bound to go insane sooner or later...

Sooner. Right at this moment to be exact.

I swallowed the lump that had formed in my throat, the food in front of me long forgotten. I tried to be as discreet as possible with all the staring, but she was making it extremely difficult for me. It was often so easy for me to block out anything and everything while I’m eating but when it came to her, I just can’t. I hear everything she said, every little breath, and every little laugh she made. I also happened to see everything . The twinkles in her eyes, the way she swiped her bangs away, the way her lips curl into a smile. I was, needless to say, head over heels for my friend’s girlfriend and it was entirely my own fault. My lips parted and I let out a frustrated sigh. Why in the world was I doing this to myself?

I ran my fingers through my hair, ruffling it in the process. I tried taking in another spoonful of rice but when that just refused to go down my throat, I slammed the spoon on the table, creating a loud smacking sound.

All eyes turned to me.

“Hyung, are you ok?” CheonDoong asked.

It was no surprise really, that none of them noticed the turmoil I was in.  Were they blind to the pained expression on my face as well?

I shook my head as a reply and pushed the chair back before walking out of the cafeteria. It was suffocating, to be so close to her, yet not be able to touch her. I walked aimlessly around the building, not bothered about my destination. But my feet brought me to the small little pond in the garden, and I sat down, my eyes fixated on the colourful koi in the pond.

I wondered if they have problems like humans do. Do they even know what a problem is? They were fed every single day, so finding food was definitely not a problem. Do they have breeding problems? I highly doubted that, since the pond was overflowing with their species. So really, was I the only one having problems? I wish my problem was simpler, I wish I could solve it so I could get over it. But the fact of the matter is, I couldn't. I couldn't have my best friend’s girl. It was a sacred rule of the bro’s code.

My eyes caught sight of a blooming red rose by the pond and I ran my fingers over the petals, marvelling at its softness. My thumb trailed further down before it was pricked with a thorn, and I quickly retracted my hand, watching as the first drop of blood appeared.

I groaned and quickly placed my thumb in my mouth, away the blood. Maybe it was a sign from the heavens that I should stop living in my head and face the music. She was not for me.

“Oppa...”

I looked up so fast at the sound of the voice that I’m pretty sure my neck cracked, and my eyes widened in surprise. I contemplated running, but she was already sitting down next to me. My fingers trembled and I turned my body, so that I was facing her. We had never been alone before, and my heartbeat sped. What was she doing here?

“What are you doing here?” I finally asked.

She stared at me with her big brown eyes, and I could’ve sworn I saw something in her eyes akin to love. But that was impossible. She loves ByungHee.

“I came to check on you of course.” She replied softly. “Something’s bothering you...”

“I’m fine.” I quickly said, wishing her to go away. She was sitting dangerously close to me, and I was scared that she might hear the rapid beating of my heart.

“You’re not.” She countered pointedly. “Stop lying and just tell me what’s wrong.”

I kept my silence. There was no way I was going to tell her that she was the problem. How could I even word out what I’m feeling? She wouldn’t understand the pain I’m going through. It would be fruitless trying to explain. The sleeve of my jacket was suddenly very interesting, and I kept my eyes on it, my fingers playing with the small button. I wasn’t about to tell her what was wrong with me. I wouldn’t even know how to start.

“Ok...” She said after a while. “Why don't I give a try? Oppa, do you like me?”

My head shot up. I tried my hardest not to let the shocked expression from appearing on my face, but to no avail. She took that as confirmation and she let out a soft breath, before her eyes returned to looking at me once again.

“Oh oppa... why me?” She asked quietly. “I’m with ByungHee oppa and-“

“I know.” I cut in. “I just-“

“You just can’t help falling for me, just as how I can’t help falling for you.”

“What?” I asked, taken aback. “You... uhh what?” I sputtered incoherently.

She let out a small laugh, obviously finding the expression on my face funny. But I couldn't care less; I was still stunned at what she just told me. She loves me too? But how? How was that even possible?

“I don't understand.” I shook my head.

She tilted her head thoughtfully before she reached over to caress my cheek. I leaned in into her palm, and a smile made its way onto my lips at our first physical contact. Her touch was soft, just like the features of her face. The simple touch was igniting every vein in my body and I wondered how I could miss it even though I’ve never felt it before.

“Love is not something you have to understand oppa.” She said, looking at me shyly. “When it happens, it happens... to whoever it chose. Strangers today can be lovers tomorrow, just like you and I.”

“When did it happen for you?”

“When I saw you playing around with ByungHee oppa’s nephews.” She stated.

I furrowed my brow before my mouth formed a perfect ‘o’.  “But that was months ago!” I said in a state of surprise. She liked me since then?

“Exactly.” She nodded her head. “When did it happen for you?”

“Two weeks ago. When you came by the apartment to take care of ByungHee.” I replied softly.

“Ahh...” She said in comprehension.

We lapsed into a comfortable silence, our hands intertwined. The feel of her hand in mine was so right, so perfect that I didn't want to ever let it go. I didn't even want to leave the pond. To go back into the building meant to be separated from her and I wasn’t ready to let her go. But lunch was coming to an end soon and I had no choice but to release her hand, feeling extremely empty as soon as I did that.

“What are we going to do?” I asked, almost afraid to hear her answer.

She shook her head sadly. “There’s nothing we can do oppa. This feeling is not something we should act upon.”

“So we’re just going to pretend it never happened?” I asked again, my voice cracking a little.

“Yeah.” She said inaudibly.

I wasn’t about to let her walk away that easily. I’m not usually impulsive but as of that moment, I was going to do everything in my power to stop her from walking away. I grabbed her hand as she took her first step and quickly spun her into my embrace. We were now just mere inches apart. I counted three tiny moles on her nose and watched as she tried to question what I was trying to do with her eyes. I knew what I wanted to do. Without waiting for permission, I crashed my lips on hers, just as my heart burst with excitement. I could’ve sworn I heard fireworks exploding too.

She was rigid for just a mere second, before she responded to my kiss with as much enthusiasm. We stood there for what felt like ages, our lips locking in a fierce battle. This would be our one and only kiss, because she was ByungHee’s girl. And you don't mess around with your best friend’s girlfriend. No matter how many times I drilled that in my head as I kissed her, I was still unable to remove myself from the kiss, so lost was I in the bliss of it all.

When we finally pulled apart, an unspoken agreement was made. This was to remain a secret between us, never to be spoken of for as long as she and ByungHee were together. This was one kiss I would cherish forever, because I knew deep down that I was never going to have her. Because even though they might break up somewhere along the future, she was still off limits. You don't date your best friend’s girlfriend, and you definitely cannot date your best friend’s  ex-girlfriend, another sacred rule in the bro’s code.

I finally let go of her, but not before our eyes locked for the last time.

This never happened.

“What the just happened?” 


Chapter posted on: July. 8. 2013

 

First chapter up! Enjoy! Please do tell me what you think though! =)