Chapter 1

Untitled Fantasy

Kim Junsu started his day by waking up at 5 AM and heading out for a quick run around the block. It was his favorite part of his morning routine as the streets were calm at that time; nothing but him and his thoughts and the echoing sound of his feet hitting the ground.

Upon returning home he took the stairs, two at a time, up to the shower. The hot water eased the tension and loosened the knots in his muscles. He was really in need of a vacation, or a massage at the very least.

He entered the bedroom where he quietly gathered the clothes he would be wearing for the day. He retreated to the bathroom and changed into the clothes. He was in the process of tying his tie when he heard the bathroom door creak open.

A woman dressed in flannel pajamas opened the bathroom door and leaned against the door frame. She yawned and sleepily rubbed her eyes.

“Junsu; it’s almost time for you to go?” she groggily asked him.

Junsu glanced at her and finished up with his tie, “Yes, go back to sleep”

He took a look in the mirror and adjusted a few strands of hair; when he was satisfied with his hair he moved towards the door. He placed his hands on her shoulders and looked down at her.

“Sara, you look tired. Please go back to sleep” he said to her, softly.

She looked up at him and nodded her head, “I will. Have a good day, ok?”

She wrapped her arms around his waist and laid her head on his chest for a few seconds. Junsu awkwardly patted her on the back. She let go and walked back to the bed.

Junsu walked out of the room and down the stairs; he put on his shoes, his coat, grabbed his briefcase and walked out of the house. He locked the front door and walked down the walk way towards his car.

He sat in the driver’s seat and gripped the steering wheel with both hands; he laid his forehead against the steering wheel and sighed. After a few seconds he composed himself and started the car. He checked to make sure his briefcase had all the documents he needed for the day and then started the drive to the coffee shop near his office.

 

 

Mirotic Investors: the biggest business consulting firm and investors group in Asia. Four years ago they expanded and placed branches and offices in North America. Junsu, originally from a branch in South Korea, transferred to the head office for the company’s Canadian operations. The head office was located in Ottawa, Ontario; the Nation’s Capital.

Junsu took the elevator and got off at the floor of his department. He walked to the receptionist’s desk and asked for his messages. While he had no assistant she had been given the task of taking his calls.

“Here you go sir” she said as she handed him a stack of sticky notes.

Junsu riffled through the notes, quickly glancing at the contact names scribbled down. He groaned mentally at some of the names; it seemed it wouldn’t be a day he’d be happy with.

“Sir, your new assistant is in your office waiting.” the receptionist informed him.

Junsu looked up at her and asked, “What is his name?”

The receptionist smirked, “HER name is Morgan.”

Junsu had gone through many assistants. It wasn’t that he was a bad boss, but it seemed like the previous young men assigned to him had been interested in nothing more but chasing corporate skirts.

“There is a girl as my assistant? She can’t be worse than the guys before her”, Junsu said.

With that, he walked through the glass doors and into the main office area. Down the hall was his office; the largest room on the floor. There were cubicles and other smaller rooms; offices of lower ranked personnel and meetings rooms.

He walked down towards his room. He greeted the other workers with a nod of his head. He reached his door and took a moment to straighten his tie. He opened the door and walked in.

She stood looking at the picture frames on his wall. She seemed particularly fixated on a black and white picture of the Tokyo Dome; in the picture there were crowds and crowds of people waiting to enter a concert.

He looked her over quickly. She seemed average in height and build yet solid at the same time. She definitely looked like she could handle herself.

He cleared his throat. She turned around and looked somewhat embarrassed.

“You must be Morgan”, he said to her. He extended his hand for her to shake.

She smiled uncertainly and shook his hand, “Yes, you must be Mr. Kim”.

He cringed inside. Mr. Kim… That sounded so old.

“Ah, you can call me Junsu. The only Mr. Kim I know is my father.” He joked with her.

She smiled more, “Alright Junsu, I can do that.”

She seemed to be easy going. He liked that.

He motioned for her to follow him. They walked past the desk which would be hers and through a frosted glass door.

They walked into his office. It was spacious and had a large desk at the back, near the broad window. There was a book shelf and a liquor cabinet. There was a small CD player placed in the window sill.

In front of his large desk there were chairs. He motioned for her to take a seat. He hung up his coat and turned around to face her.

Clapping his hands together he announced, “Ok then so let’s get you up to speed on what you’ll be expected to do.”

Morgan crossed her legs and leaned forward to listen attentively.

“This company likes to be ahead of the crowds. We’re constantly taking on unique clients and making deals that have the promise of success while being a part of new and exciting projects”, Junsu began.

Morgan nodded her head and said, “I know this company was the backbone for the project responsible for the huge Japanese animation structure built in Tokyo.”

Junsu looked at her, surprised. His previous assistants hadn’t been this prepared for the job.

“Yes. I was actually the executive who convinced the board of directors to sign off on that deal”, he explained.

He moved to his desk and sat on the corner of the desk. He looked into her eyes and he could see the focus and determination.

“Morgan, your job will be to make sure that all the little loose ends are tied so that I can put all my energy into the major aspects of these deals. Things like calling back clients or scheduling travel plans will be under your control. Writing up letters, delivering and sending contracts will also be part of your job. Do you think you can do that?” he asked her.

Morgan looked back into his eyes and said, in a firm voice, “I know I can.”