Prologue

[HIATUS] The Chaser

The one thing I hate the most are weddings.

Everyone attending are always happy and smiling as if the world is going to end the next day. As if they didn't just argue amongst each other in the car a few minutes prior to arriving at the splendid event. As if they didn't know that the bride was getting married after spending the night with her ex-boyfriend to get him 'out of her system.' As if the father of the bride wasn't a drug warlord and wasn't actually going to face time in jail right after the happy couple say their "I do''s to each other. As if the congregation didn't know about the groom's past as a heartbreaker and that this was actually his fourth marriage to the same type of woman as his past wives.

In my case, I attended my father's second wedding as the flower girl. Not as his daughter, but as the flower girl. How lame is that?

I was ten years old and yet he treated me like a six-year-old girl whose job was to throw rose petals onto the floor. The -of-a-bride stomped on them with her lethal heels, showing off her heavily-painted toenails that peeped out from under her ivory-white silk skirt. While doing this, she glided towards my dashing father without a blemish on her conscience. Not to mention, I had to walk arm-in-arm with her ten-year-old son, who had refused to speak a word to me since meeting for the first time a week prior to the wedding.

My mother was banished from home during the same week I met the other woman and her son. Whatever she did to deserve that sort of treatment, I didn't know. My father was careful to hide that detail from me.  I doubted that she did anything wrong. I thought, and still think to this day, that she did something small, perhaps something like bumping into my father after coming out of the bathroom or washing the dishes wrong. My father had, and still has, the tendency to overreact and make arguments larger than they need to be. Perhaps my mother just got tired of him and left, while my father told me that he banished her to cover the reality up.

Whatever happened, she's gone. And I miss her.

I'm sure that when my father married my mother, she wasn't barf-worthy like the monster-bride who I stood next to on that horrible day. I'm sure that on her wedding day, my mother was dressed in pure white from head to toe, expelling beauty to the far corners of the church she wed my father in. I'm sure that she was so radiant that security guards had to guard the doors of the chapel for any suitors ready to object to the wedding. I'm sure that the monster-bride was NOTHING compared to my perfect mother!

Yet, that woman stood in the same church, in the same spot, with the same priest, and the same  groom, eleven years later. Does anyone else find this fishy and frustrating?

Though I was only ten years old when this sorrowful event happened, that doesn't mean that I wanted to accept it. NO. I REFUSED to accept something as preposterous as that. Unfortunately, being ten years old meant that I couldn't do anything about my father's decision. It also meant that I had to endure my step-mother's 'sweetness' until I was old enough to leave my father's million-dollar three-story house.

I had no choice, nor voice, in that situation. Endurance was my only option.

*****

Seven years later, it was the perfect autumn day in Seoul, with a mild breeze blowing red, auburn, and yellow leaves in swirls. The cold air had already begun to settle onto the roofs of many homes, giving the city a fresh, anticipating feeling.  

I leaned my back against the stone wall next to the entrance to  Woolim High School and puffed air into my cheeks. The bell just rang to signify the end of school and I was waiting for my best friend since elementary to meet me in front of the office building. Being two years older than me, he was a sophomore in college. It was already a habit for him to pick me up after school every day.

I plugged my ears with my earphones and my MP3 player. The sweet voices of Dong Bang Shin Ki filtered through my earbuds and into my ears as my eyes fluttered to a close. I swayed my head to the tempo of the music. A tap on my shoulder jerked me back to reality. I popped open my eyes and glared accusingly at the person who dared to distract me from my daily distraction.

"Um... Hwayoung-sunbae (*sunbae means 'senior')... I-I have to say s-something to you..." mumbled a first year. I remembered seeing him at orientation at the beginning of the year, my final year in high school, but I couldn't figure out his name. Kwangjin? Kangjin?

Annoyed, I yanked my earbuds out of my ears and rubbed my temples. "Sure...? I'm sorry, but what is your name, again?"

"Lee K-Kyungjin." He scratched the back of his neck and shakily pushed his wire-framed glasses up the bridge of his nose. I mentally facepalmed myself because I knew what he was about to do.

"Oh, hello, Lee Kyungjin. What's up?" I tried to keep the bitterness out of my voice, but I had a feeling that he heard it because he flinched.

"I... I-I really like you." He held out a box of Almond Peppero sticks toward me while staring at the ground in embarassment. I sighed at this. How could I forget that today is Peppero Day*?

(*Author's Note: 'Peppero Day' is a day meant for couples. Sort of like Valentine's Day in the States, it was created a few years back by Lotte, a Korean company, that sold Peppero sticks. Peppero sticks are like Japan's Pocky, a cracker stick dipped in chocolate. Lotte noticed that their sales for Peppero were sky high on every November 11th. As a result, they created 'Peppero Day' on November 11th, 11/11, as a symbolized meaning of 'pairs.' There are many confessions on that day, as many youngsters from middle school to college, are looking for their significant other.)

"Kyungjin-ssi--"

"Please, just call me Kyungjin, N-Noona."

"Noona? Kyungjin--"

"Hwayoung-ah!" I spun around at the sound of the familiar voice and smiled. He was once again my savior.

"Sungyeol-oppa!" My best friend bounded towards me and flung his arms around me to embrace me in a tight hug, much to the surprise of Kyungjin. I took a glance at the freshman and almost laughed. His mouth hung open at an awkward angle and glasses were askew. The Almond Peppero box was busted open from clenching his little fist around it, with pieces of peppero scattered on the floor.

"Where have you been, Yeobo*? I've been looking all over for you!" Sungyeol enthused. He glanced at Kyungjin then winked at me. He released me and took my hand. (*A pet name for a loved one, like 'Honey'. Usually used between married couples.)

"N-Noona... Is this y-your...?" Kyungjin was obviously baffled. Sungyeol stifled his snicker.

"Yes, I'm Hwayoung's namchin*. Who are you?" (*Derived from 'namja-chingu', which means boyfriend.)

"I-I..." Kyungjin tried hiding the peppero box behind his back. "I w-was just t-talking to her about an assignment..."

"I don't think you and her are in the same class... Aren't you a freshman?" Sungyeol blinked innocently at the first year.

"Y-yes, I am."

"Well, if you don't mind. I would like to take my girlfriend out for Peppero Day. Have a wonderful day!"

Sungyeol flashed him a wide smile and towed me behind him. I stole a glance backwards and nearly bursted out laughing. Kyungjin was shrieking and stomping on the peppero box. When we got inside Sungyeol's car, I bursted into laughter. Sungyeol stared at me until I gave him a puzzled look.

"What? Aren't you going to start the car so that we can go on our 'Peppero Date?'"

Sungyeol sighed, then pinched the bridge of his nose. "What did you do, Hwayoung? Why was that guy talking to you?"

"What do you mean, Oppa? Let's go..." I took a sideward glance at him, only to be met with a disappointed glare.

"Are you playing with guys' hearts again?"

"No! When did I ever do that? I only met him at orientation at the beginning of the year..."

"Oh, really? So, why was he standing shyly in front of you, like a guy who was about to confess? I really felt pity for him when I saw him standing in front of you like that. That kid was confessing to you, right?"

I frowned. Once Sungyeol was on to something I did, he didn't let go until I confessed. And he was actually correct this time. I exhaled sharply, then looked straight into his eyes.

"So what if he was confessing to me? You KNOW that those sorts of things annoy me."

"Just because your mother--"

"DON'T speak about my mother, Lee Sungyeol! Ugh, can't we just get going?"

Obviously sensing that I was not happy, Sungyeol zipped his lips and started the car.

~:~:~:~:~

After saying goodbye and thanking Sungyeol for the ride home, I entered my massive house. I  wouldn't be lying if I said that my father was rich. He was the owner of the biggest hospital in Seoul and was one of the most well-known neurosurgeons in Korea. Not to mention, my step-monster, I mean, step-mother, was a highly paid model from HW Modeling. I rarely spoke to Sungjong, my step-brother, and vice versa, so I didn't know what he did whenever he was home or out with his friends. Basically, I considered him a mute.

"Welcome home, Honey. How was your Peppero Day?" My step-mother's sickly-sweet voice drifted out from the kitchen. It was a cross between a guy's voice after being kicked in the balls and the dreamy voice of Professor Trelawney from Harry Potter. I shuddered. A person with THAT voice is considered NORMAL?

"What does it matter to you? I don't need to tell you anything. It's not like you're my mother," I sneered as I trudged up the steps towards my bedroom. I didn't care if she pretended to be hurt by what I said. I couldn't wait to turn eighteen so that I could move out of the stupid house.

My bedroom was located on the second floor, right next to my mute step-brother's room. His room was the closest to the stairs, so no matter what, I HAD to walk past his room. And for some odd reason, I could always hear girl idol group songs playing. It was playing this time as well.

"Bo peep Bo peep Bo peep Bo peep Bo peep Bo peep Bo peep Bo~~"

I cringed. T-Ara's 'Bo Peep' was not my favorite song. And it had to be played on a day like this. On Peppero Day, two days before my birthday. I quickly made my way to my bedroom, swung open my door, and clicked it shut.

Peace and quiet. Finally.

~:~:~:~:~

"...and he told me that as soon as I'm ready, I'll be able to model for bigger companies, like Samsung."

My step-mother smiled triumphantly, as though being a model was the best job in the world. I rolled my eyes. It was dinnertime and Step-monster was boasting about the 'wonderful talk' she had with her manager earlier that morning. This went on for more than half an hour of the meal. Sungjong silently ate his food, as per usual. My father smiled along with her, as if her story was even the least bit relevant in our lives.

"That's great, Jagiya*. You're moving up the ladder! I'm so proud of you!" Father extended his lips toward her and gave her a lingering kiss. I had to look away, for I felt like hurling. (*Another pet name for a loved one, means 'Darling'. Usually used between dating couples.)

"So, what did YOU do today, Hwayoung?" Father asked as he sliced his veggie steak into bite-sized pieces. "Wasn't today Peppero Day? Did you get any confessions?"

"She spent the day with Sungyeol, didn't you?" Step-monster replied with a fake bright smile. I ignored her and picked at my food. I had disliked her veggie steaks ever since I was thirteen. She was a vegetarian, whereas I was MOSTLY vegetarian. Chicken and fish were the only source of meat I was willing to consume. And need I mention that she was a terrible cook?

"I did what I usually did, Father. I went to school, studied, gotten confessed to by eight random guys, and went somewhere with Sungyeol. No big deal."

Father seemed a little put down by my lack of enthusiasm. "Kang Hwayoung, what's with your tone? Did something happen between you and Sungyeol?"

My left eyebrow started twitching. Why? Since when was my father so interested in my life? Never! In fact, I didn't even know that he knew that Sungyeol and I had a friendship! The last time he spoke to me about friends was when I first started out at Woolim High School. I was pretty sure that my father was the densest person in the world. I shut my eyes for a few seconds while I answered Father's question as calmly as I could.

"Nothing happened between us--"

"Oh, THAT'S a relief! To think of what Sungyeol's mother would've thought of us if something were to happen between you two! That would've been a disaster!" Step-monster was clutching her chest, as if me 'breaking up' with Sungyeol would've affected her in any way. As if Sungyeol and I were even dating to begin with! I snapped open my eyes and narrowed them at her.

Gnashing my teeth, I once again pushed my anger aside. One more year. One more year, then you are out of this place, Kang Hwayoung! Free from the burden of having a family as stupid as this one!

"Oppa and I are just friends. Nothing HAS happened, nor is anything GOING to happen between us."

"You two spend a lot of time together, Hwayoung. Why don't you two get married once finishing college?"

The water I was drinking sprayed out of my mouth and doused Step-monster. She shrieked. I coughed out the liquid that went down the wrong pipe. I could barely make out what she was saying, for I was trying to process what she said in my mind. WHAT??? ME and SUNGYEOL-OPPA??? She must be out of her mind!

"You little ! How DARE you do this to me! This is a specially tailored dress from Louis Vuitton!" Step-monster lunged at me and clawed at my hair. I dodged out of the way and snickered inwardly at this. Her true colors are finally showing in front of Father. Perfect! Maybe he'll finally divorce her.

"Jagiya, it's going to be okay--" Father began, but she cut across him.

"No! Did you see what that did? She deliberately spat water at me and ruined this dress!" Upon hearing this, the smirk fell off my face. I knew what she was doing and I didn't like it. I was ready to retaliate and defend myself.

"I did NOT--"

She succeeded in confirming my suspicions by forcing her eyes to water. Her voice cracked when she spoke directly to my father. "I tried being nice to her all these years, Yeobo, and look what she does to me! She spits water at me and gives me that awful glare! I'm her MOTHER, for goodness' sakes..." She picked up her napkin and dabbed at her eyes. I flashed mine at her. I can't believe she's doing this right now. And since when was she my MOTHER???

"Oh, darling... Don't worry, I'll set her straight," Father cooed. He straightened up and glared at me. "Kang Hwayoung. I think you have something to say to your mother. Like, an apology, perhaps?"

I scowled. That was it. The tipping point. The end of the line. My anger finally boiled over, but I wasn't about to yell at them. No, no, NO. That would've meant that I stooped down to their level. At that moment, I made the decision to leave and never go back. Never was I going to see my father and his indifference towards me again. Never was I going to see that witch's face, with all its years of plastic surgery. Never was I going to see my silent step-brother, who never spoke a word in front of me besides, "Hello," and, "Goodbye."  

I flung my silverware onto the table. It thwacked loudly against my plate, chipping the edge of it irreparably. I stood up abruptly, knocking several things down in the process. My 'family' stared at me. Before I left the table, I said through gritted teeth, "My mother? Wasn't she kicked out seven years ago? Why do I have to apologize to her when that's YOUR duty?"

With that, I left my dumbfounded Father, Step-mother, and Step-brother at the table. I ran to my room with tears in my eyes and slammed the door behind me. I packed up all that I could carry into two suitcases and a backpack, then returned to the first floor. Standing by the front door, I paused and looked behind me toward the dining room. Not one person came to comfort me. Nor were they curious about what was happening to me at that moment.

I could hear the tinkle of utensils against chinaware. Soft whispers between my father and step-mother.  Kissing sounds followed by giggles escaping Step-monster's lips. Gritting my teeth once more, I knew that staying here would be the biggest mistake of my life. Why should I live in a home where I'm not welcome? I thought to myself. Where my father rarely acknowledges my presence, my step-mother tries to get on my good side for personal gain, and my step-brother doesn't even speak to me?

All that I knew, all that I figured out, all that I ever loved in that house, I vowed to forget. My almost seventeen-year-old self made a decision that day, Peppero  Day, two days before my birthday, to leave and never go back. It was time for me to live on my own.

...

Or, maybe with Sungyeol.

 

*****So, that was the first chapter! How was it! Let me know because I'm pretty proud of this story and how it's turning out! As always, please comment and subscribe! Constructive criticism is also welcome! I truly appreciate it! :)*****