And the meet continues

The day my eyes saw colors

 

Taecyeon

"Hyung!" Junho's voice makes my head arches.

Yumi and I are arranging her clothes after miraculously finding a place to fit them in her room and mine. His voice catches Yumi's attention as well and she leaves a blouse half unfold on her lap as she listens intently to the filing voices that follow.

"Taecyeon-hyung!" Chansung choruses.

"Taecyeon?" Nichkhun's wondrous tone arrives a little later.

I stand up from the floor and excuse myself then barge out of it only to have Wooyoung's shouting face in mine as my name blares in my ears, "Taecyeon!"

"Shut up!" I yell, annoyed at how many times I heard my name.

And they do quiet down, an expression invades their faces and it's perfectly replicated on them, it shakes me at first. Then before they could offer their condolences, I wave my hand in the air and purse my lips together, "Forget it,"

It's like drinking freezing cold water after traversing a scorching desert, their faces turn to normal once again as they greet me and high five me and allow a few hugs to evince their mental pictures about my arrival.

Junsu jumps up off the couch and asks, "Where's your sister?"

Four heads swish towards him swiftly as eyebrows knit and mouths skew. I get nervous as I swallow the hard mass suffocating me and I anxiously chuckle, my hand is on the back of my head. However, as I try to answer Junsu's untimely question, their eyes are directed below my armpit, staring widely at something –according to their facial expression- alien.

Nichkhun's face is a bit comforting as it is not that horrified. Wooyoung's face is monotonic, giving absolutely nothing away. Junho's eyes squint and his mouth is slightly ajar. Chansung's lips are completely parted while his eyes broadening. And I swallow again, sweat covers my body from head to toe, then I slowly turn to see Yumi's face.

She is holding the door frame in one hand, her eyes are on the floor like usual but they're meekly gaping with edginess, her hair is falling on either side of her face and her toes are linked together while the other end of her feet are parted. Her fingers around her cane are trembling and she lowers her head instinctively.

"Ahem," I clear my throat and her head is somewhat higher than before, her stance is less awkward, as she buckles her knees and her back is straightened up. "Guys, this is my sister, Yumi,"

As soon as she heard her name, she bows respectfully for a few seconds, the rest bow back but their surprised appearances linger.

"His sister can't speak Korean," Junsu explains, not mentioning her name in order to not snatch her attention.

The guys seem to be a little relieved at that as some heave sighs but soon they chock on the gulps of air as Junsu continues, "She'll be living with us and she's also disable, she can't see,"

"She's not disabled," I say defensively and involuntarily and I notice her slight change of expression as she senses my meager anger.

"Wait, she'll be living with us?" Chansung worriedly asks. Junho's face matching his. Wooyoung only has an impassive expression masking his face.

"For a while," I assure them. "I just need time,"

"You can't just bring your sister to live with us, hyung. This isn't a variety show," Wooyoung retorts, his arms are folded against his chest as he scrutinizes me.

Shock ripples through me, I don't know why he's this upset, my eyebrows link instinctively nonetheless and I raise my voice as I try to explain again, "It's only for a while until I find a place for her and me," every word is forced out of my mouth.

"Where's the rest of your family?" Chansung asks, his eyes rest on the floor, away from mine and Junsu stares at Chansung, as if displeased with his question.

"I'm her guardian, she's in my custody and she's got no one else," it's getting harder and harder to elucidate, my eyes flicker to Yumi who's eyes keep dashing from right to left.   

"Hello," Nichkhun ignores us as he approaches Yumi.

Yumi looks up, bewildered, and courses her eyes to where Nichkhun stood. He stares at first, his expression is a moot but then like gaining consciousness he smiles, "It's nice to meet you,"

She smiles back and Junsu whispers to Junho, "Her dimples!" while digging the center of his cheeks with his index fingers.  

For a fraction of a second her glance flickers to Junsu then returns to Nichkhun and she says, "Nice to meet you too, Nichkhun-san,"

Half of the boys gasp in surprise and so do I while the rest have their chins bang harshly on the ground, "How did you know?" I ask, completely astonished.

Nichkhun's thick eyebrows escalate but a pleased smile rests on his lips. Yumi blushes and she lowers her head again, putting a hand over the back of her neck, "Um, Momma and I watched a lot of interviews and I can guess from a person's tone…," she trails off as she tries to explain.

Nichkhun chuckles as he understands her point and I give Yumi a pat on the back, "That's really cool," I compliment.

Her eyes meet mine and I'm shocked for a minute, it's like she is able to see me, especially when she smiles so happily. I grin goofily as I blush for some reason.

"Yumi, why don't you introduce yourself?" I prompt and worry gnaws her face. I chortle at her and put my hands on either side of her shoulders and drive her to where the guys stood, making her stand before them in the center.

She stutters as she tries to speak after I gave her the signal to, her hands go up to her hair and she starts pushing it back pointlessly and tucking some behind her ears. Her slippers shake from her moving toes and her fingers shiver and shudder. I try to stifle a laugh as she is completely at a loss. Unexpectedly, a light punch hits my stomach and she grumbles then whines something in Japanese.

The guys laugh at her merely violent motion but then Wooyoung complains, "Aish!" and I glare at him, knowing that my sister is trying too hard.

She bows again and mumbles, "I'm Ok Yumi, pleased to make your acquaintances,"

Chansung's eyebrows knit and his nose is crunched up, "Hyung, translate,"

I do and they bow back once more. Nichkhun handles the introductory as he says, "Welcome to 2pm's dorm, I'm Nichkhun Horvejkul,"

"Wink vending machine," she points out absentmindedly then cups with her hand, recalling that he can understand English. "I'm so sorry," she starts but Nichkhun starts laughing and says, "Exactly,"

Although he seems fine with it, the look on Yumi's face isn't that agreeable and an apologetic mirage sweeps over her face. From the corner of my eyes, I can see Chansung nudging Wooyoung asking him  about what she said but the other man shrugs his shoulders and stares at her then comes forward, "I'm Jang Wooyoung, nice to meet you," he doesn't bow nor does a smile touches his eyes, he simply stares at her.

I quickly translate to my sister who grins widely and says, "It's nice meeting you too, Wooyoung-san,"

Wooyoung throws a glance at me and I explain she's Japanese. Nichkhun nods as if I just confirmed a questionable matter. Junho then begins, injecting a few English words in his sentences, Yumi answers with the same movements: smiles broadly and nods. Chansung's turn comes up but as soon as he said 'I'm', Yumi claps her hands together, "Chansung-san!"

His eyebrows reach the center of his forehead and he chuckles unwillingly. Detecting his astonishment, Yumi clarifies, "I'm an Unstoppable High Kick! Fan,"

I chuckle and translate to Chansung who grins and bows and I describe that to Yumi who smiles gratefully.   

Suddenly, our manager barges in, Yumi leaps from her place and manager MinJae asks, "Where's she?"

The boys move to expose the alarmed Yumi, she's biting her lower lip again and pressing her pierced earlobe. MinJae-hyung stares at her then smiles widely, "She's not ugly,"

"What the…?!" I shout, provoked by his statement.

He ignores me and reaches for my sister's shoulder, "Welcome, I'm Min-,"

The boys interrupt him, "She can't speak nor understand Korean,"

He scratches his head and then says, "Herro,"

Yumi's face shows an amused side as she listens to him speaking in his elementary level English, "My name ish Soe MinJae,"

Yumi bows after stifling a giggle and says, "Konnichiwa,"

"Japanese!"  he exclaims. "I knew it," he points at me while an eyebrow arches.

We discuss about Yumi's stay at the dorm, compromising and then agreeing on her sojourn. Junsu, Nichkhun and Chansung gave their approval but Wooyoung and Junho stayed neutral which isn't that good. Junsu who is previously my roommate moved to stay with Nichkhun and Wooyoung, winning the latter's annoyance.

I spend a good amount of the day sleeping, as I try vigorously to get rid of the jetlag while Yumi stays and memorizes the dorm with Nichkhun seeing that he generously offers his help.

Outside the room is clamorous as I hear my sister talking quietly with Nichkhun who answers her questions as best as possible. They sometimes speak in Japanese but Nichkhun struggles with that and I have to laugh at his attempt and proudly smile in my sister's account, her Japanese is flawless and I think it suits her more than English. The TV is also on, a variety show is on but I can't determine which one is it. Occasionally would some of the guys exclaim shouts of surprise and shock and a few halfhearted chuckles but soon after a quiescent ambience devours all sounds.

My mind slowly drifts into sleep and soon, I'm snorting my way into dreamland.   

    

...............................................................................

This was the hardest chapter I've written so far. >.>