A Better Place

A Better Place

 

A Better Place

 


 

The bell that marked the end of the lunch break already rang ten minutes ago. It was a perfect day, sunny with the exact amount of cloud, decorations to the overlay of the blue sky. Months were sliding toward the end of summer, but the warmth was still lingering with a little bit of breeze. It was a perfect day to doze off, or perhaps to jump from the 4th floor of your school building, depend on the point of view.

 

Oh Sehun opened his eyes as his attempt to sleep was disturbed by sound of footsteps. He used his right hand as a pillow, while his left hand rested on his stomach.  The tips of his hair reached his eyes and he blew them up, shaking his head a little to move his fringe to the side. He stared at the sky, listening to the footsteps that drew louder before they finally stopped.

 

Out of curiosity cause this was the first time there's someone else in the rooftop beside him during the school hours, Sehun rolled his body and crawled lazily to peek. He was hidden behind the small building in the rooftop, which lead to the stairs below. Sehun only put his head out to his eyes, enough to saw who made the footsteps. 

 

There was a girl, standing perfectly still; her eyes were looking at the distance, wind was playing with her long, black hair. Sehun almost crawled back and continued his journey to the dreamland, but the girl was standing on the edge of the wall-fence. Just a gentle nudge on her back and she would cross to the other world. Sehun blinked and stared.

 

The girl looked down and tilted her head, contemplating to make that one small step.

 

“… Hey,” Sehun called her.

 

The girl jerked a little, not expecting a company, but thankfully she managed to keep her balance. She turned her head towards Sehun, but the sun was behind her and it cast shadow on her face. 

 

Sehun did not see her clearly, did not know her, and did not care, actually. All he cared was, “If you want to kill yourself, can you find another place?”

 

They were engaged in a staring battle for a while before the girl opened , “Why?”

 

Sehun narrowed his eyes, the sun rays were start to come his way. “I like this place. If you jump from here, the school will close this place permanently. I have to find another place to sleep.”

 

She tucked her hair behind her ear. And then, “Okay,” she went down to the ground.

 

“Great. Thanks.” Sehun crawled back behind the wall, safe from the sun lights. He went back to his original position, closing his eyes, and soon he was deep in his sleep. 

 

***

 

It was another good day.

 

Oh Sehun lay in his sleeping den, again, using his arms as his pillow. He played with the candy in his mouth, thinking, I’m full. Monday’s lunch is the best, as he recalled today’s kimchi stew and boneless fried chicken. Suddenly he heard the door to the rooftop swung open, and he frowned as a series of footsteps coming to him.

 

Something must be blocking the sun rays, because he saw darker now. Sehun opened his right eye. He saw slender legs, a wavering skirt, and a glimpse of white-colored underwear. He opened his left eye, stared with his both eyes for a better view before went back closing them again. “You know I can see your .”

 

Whoever it was, she moved, and Sehun could hear her sitting down beside him. 

 

“I can’t find a better place,” she said.

 

“Still. Not here.”

 

 “Uh-huh.”

 

Sehun opened his eyes just in time; she was about to lie down beside him. “Use this,” he took his blazer that lying neatly beside him, and sprawl it for her to lie down.

 

“It’ll wrinkle.”

 

Sehun shrugged, already closing his eyes. He could sense her lying down next to him. Times passed, and in the edge of his consciousness, he could hear her.

 

“You’re right. This place is great.”

 

This time Sehun turned his head to her, opening his sleepy eyes. She, too, was turning to Sehun, and their eyes locked into each other. This was the first time Sehun had a good look on her.

 

“Told you so.”

 

And then he went to sleep.

 

***

 

It was another day, one where the sky was all dark and gloomy with no sign of the sun, but no signs of rain either.

 

Sehun rubbed his eyes slowly, still felt sleepy and dozy after the nap he took in the class, as he walked to the canteen with his friends. He d his pocket and found a lollipop, so he opened it and put it to his mouth. 

 

His friend, who walked beside him – full lips and fluffy hazel hair that reached his neck – spotted him. “Lollipop!” Ahn Daniel exclaimed. “Do you still have one?”

 

Again, Sehun d his pocket, and dug out another lollipop. He handed it to a happy Niel, who immediately it up.

 

“Me?” Kim Jongin – tall, muscular, dark skin, with an amazing jaw line – turned his body a little and extended his hand.

 

For the third time Sehun d his pockets, but this time he found nothing. He shook his head, and Jongin made a “Tsk!” sound before turned back.

 

Jung Ilhoon – spiky black hair with sharp eyebrows – frowned, looking at Niel. “I thought you’re hungry? How will you eat with that lollipop?”

 

“Ah! I forgot!” Niel gasped. “Do you want my lollipop?”

 

“Gross,” Ilhoon pushed Niel’s shoulder to make him stay away.

 

Niel was staring at his lollipop, muttering, “What to do?” It would take quite some time to finish the candy.

 

“Don’t even think of throw it away,” Ilhoon whispered to Niel. “Sehun will kill you.”

 

Sehun was already walking ahead of them, but he glanced towards Niel from the corner of his eyes. Niel immediately shoved the lollipop into his mouth.

 

“Just chew it,” Yoo Youngjae, the last in the group – cute small eyes with equally cute chubby cheeks – advised, walking beside Niel. “Or save it for later, wrap it or something, be creative.”

 

After they reached the canteen, the four boys went in line to buy their lunch while Sehun just dashed off to an empty table. He sat down and rested his head on the table’s surface, closing his eyes again while still on the lollipop. After a while he heard sounds of his friends sitting around him, chattering and eating bread or snacks. Sehun ignored them all, consistent with his sleeping attempt, until the sound of wild laughs broke across the canteen.  

 

Sehun reluctantly opened his eyes, irritated. It was two tables away from them, a group of seniors. Some faces are familiar although Sehun wouldn’t able to put the names in those faces, but in the end of the table there was another familiar face. She looked like she was not belonging in that table, clearly uncomfortable. Her eyes were not really focus to the speaker, and she shifted a lot in her seat as she tried to position herself. But an arm was holding her in her place, resting comfortably around her shoulders and held her in the arm in a protective manner, showing to the rest of the world his dominance to the girl. 

 

Sehun saw the girl scooted away, but the arm reached for her and pulled her closer to him.

 

“Hey,” Sehun straightened his back and nudged Youngjae who’s sitting beside him, “Who’s that?”

 

“Shoot!” Youngjae was obviously startled, as he spitted some of his food and chocked a little. Jongin in front of him furrowed his eyebrows in disgust. “God! I thought you are sleeping!” Youngjae wiped his mouth.

 

“Yeah. No. Who’s that?” Sehun repeated his question. He nodded his head towards the seniors’ table.

 

“The third year’s table? Which one?” Ilhoon, who sat across Sehun and therefore the closest to the seniors’ table, leaned over to see who it was.

 

Sehun pulled his lollipop out for a moment to answer, “The girl on the tip end.”

 

“Who? Who?” Niel’s view was blocked by Jongin. “What girl?”

 

The boys’ heads were all turned to the seniors’ table. “You mean the president’s girlfriend?” Jongin looked back at Sehun. Sehun’s blank stare was enough for Jongin to explained, “Choi Minho, our Student Council President. Slick, neat hair, perfect uniform, perfect posture. You mean the girl in his arm?”

 

Sehun checked the seniors’ table. Slick, neat hair indeed. “Yeah.”

 

“That’s his girlfriend. I think she’s in our year,” Ilhoon answered. “Can’t remember her name, only her surname is Jung too, like me. But she’s popular between the boys.”

 

“Choi Minho Sunbae’s girlfriend?” Niel craned his neck. “That would be Jung Soojung. And yes, she’s in our year. Apparently her family and Choi Minho Sunbae’s family are family friends, so they already know each other since kids. I heard they are engaged or something… After Jung Soojung gets into high school, she’s officially his. I guess the president already wait for a long time, huh.”

 

“You know a lot,” Youngjae questioned Niel with a frown on his face. Niel made a cocky smile.

 

“Why?” Jongin narrowed his eyes in suspicion and asked Sehun.

 

“She’s pretty, isn’t she? I get it,” Ilhoon understood Jongin’s intention, and now he was collaborating with him.

 

Youngjae smiled excitedly as he turned to Sehun, “Is this the day that we will finally hear Oh Sehun talking about girls?”

 

“But, dude, no offense, she’s out of your league,” Niel shook his head, half-eaten bread in one hand. “She has a man, and the man is the president of student body, he’s also rich, smart, and athletic. There’s no hope for you.”

 

Jongin looked at Niel with disdain. “Remind me to never seek encouragement from you.”

 

“I’m just saying the truth!”

 

“So?” Ilhoon still tried to fishing Sehun. “Jung Soojung. What do you think? You like her type?”

 

Sehun glanced towards the seniors’ table. They were still laughing and joking with loud voices, proud and cocky. Guess being the president of the student council or at least his friends made you pretty much on the top of the food chain.

 

“No,” Sehun shook his head. “She’s ugly. She looks weird.”

 

“Weird- What?” Youngjae frowned in confusion. His small eyes almost disappeared when he squinted his eyes and eyed Soojung. There were a lot of words to describe Jung Soojung, and ‘ugly’ or ‘weird’ definitely not one of them.

 

Jongin, Ilhoon, and Niel just stared at Sehun as if he’s an alien. Their friend had always been a little different, a little bit off, but they certainly did not expect him to called Soojung ugly. Soojung, after all, had a beauty that often compared with SNSD’s Yoona.

 

“We’re talking about the same girl, right? That girl over there? Look, now she’s drinking her soda?” Ilhoon tried to confirm.

 

“Yes?” Sehun started to getting annoyed.

 

Niel’s jaw dropped, Jongin shook his head in disbelief, while Ilhoon looked he was 100% done with Sehun.

 

Sehun shrugged. “She doesn’t smile. She’s weird.”

 

“But you also don’t smile,” Youngjae stated, even more confused than before.

 

Sehun stopped his lollipop abrutply. He turned his head slightly, glancing at Youngjae.

 

“W-what?” Youngjae asked nervously. Even though Sehun always had a bland, unreadable expression in his face and his stare was a normal stare instead of a glare, it was somehow always make his friends nervous – except Jongin, maybe. 

 

Slowly, Sehun moved towards Youngjae, closing the gap between them until their faces were a mere apart, too close for comfort. Youngjae could hear Neil gasped from his place and held his breath. And he too, unconsciously had been holding his breath.

 

“… Do you… want me to smile… ?” Sehun asked in a soft whisper to Youngjae.

 

“Wha- I-” Youngjae couldn’t find any words to say. Sehun was so close now, and Youngjae noticed Sehun’s long eyelashes, Sehun’s brownish eyes that felt as if they could see through his soul, his sharp nose, the little scar on his cheek, the lollipop’s stick that still stuck between his pink lips…

 

Youngjae swallowed at this view. “…N-No?” he breathed that word out.

 

Sehun raised one of his eyebrow, shrugged, and backed off.

 

“What the hell, Yoo Youngjae!” Jongin slammed the table with his palm.

 

“Now we will never see Sehun’s smile!” Ilhoon growled.

 

Youngjae blinked dazedly, still in shock after what happened and he shook his head to clear out his mind. Niel reached out his hand and pat Youngjae’s hand in pity.

 

***

 

“I wonder.”

 

What should I have for dinner? Sehun wondered, too.

 

“It’s getting colder. Where will you sleep after this?”

 

Sehun opened his eyes. The clouds were trailing above him, making weird shapes that Sehun though a little bit like a dinosaur. “I’ll find a place. Still, no suicide allowed.”

 

“I know.” Soojung raised her hand, pointing at the weird cloud. “Don’t you think that cloud looks like a dinosaur?”

 

***

 

Students were gathering in front of the notice board – the result from the last test was plastered there. Murmurs, sighs, and laughs were blending into one, and the boys were inside that pack of students.

 

“Dammit, I thought I’d score higher,” Jongin scratched his head, frustrated. “And how the hell you manage to score better than me?” he snapped at Ilhoon who’s standing innocently next to him.

 

Ilhoon raised his eyebrows. “Hey, I study!”

 

“Oh come on, Jongin, at least you don’t have to make up any subject. Math, ugh, whyyy,” Niel whined, backing out from the crowd and burying his face in his hands.

 

“Yeah, man, good luck with that,” Jongin pat Niel’s back.

 

“Why I don’t find Youngjae’s or Sehun’s name?” Ilhoon was still busy scanning the notice board.

 

Sehun and Youngjae walked toward them – Sehun on a lollipop as always. Youngjae approached Ilhoon, “I’m offended. Haven’t you searched that part over there?” he pointed to the far end of the notice board, where the highest scores were placed.

 

“No freaking way,” Jongin pushed Ilhoon away as the two of them racing to search Youngjae’s and Sehun’s name.

 

“Seriously?” Niel looked at his two friends with doubt before he followed Jongin and Ilhoon.

 

“What is this. HOW,” Jongin groaned. Apparently he already found his friends’ name.

 

“What sorcery is this…?” Ilhoon already found them, too.

 

“Why?” Niel stood behind those two, putting his arms in his friends’ shoulders. “What number they are?” his eyes moved from left to right, searching the familiar names. “… Yoo Youngjae, Yoo Youngjae… number eight! Wow, Youngjae, you’re smart?” he looked over his shoulder to Youngjae.

 

“What is that supposed to mean?” Youngjae protested.

 

“Oh Sehun…,” Niel went back to his mission.

 

“Niel, far left,” Youngjae helped him.

 

“Far left?” Niel turned to left. “… Oh Sehun, number one?! What?! You’re the smartest in this school?! This guy?!” he turned to the uninterested Sehun.

 

Jongin went and slung his arm around Sehun’s neck. “This is call for a nice treat, right Sehun?” he dragged Sehun with him toward the canteen. Ilhoon, Youngjae, and Niel were happily tailing behind. 

 

“What? Why should I?” Sehun frowned and struggled to free himself, but Jongin was bigger and stronger.

 

“Because I’m pissed off that a guy who spends fifty percent of his day at school with sleeping is actually the smartest guy in the school.”

 

Sehun frowned deeper before he finally offered with a low voice, “… Do you want a lollipop?” Sehun managed to find one on his pocket.

 

Jongin snorted. “No.” 

 

***

 

“How is it, Soojung-ah?” Choi Jinri walked up toward her friend.

 

Soojung bit her lips, still staring at the notice board. “I have to make up some subjects,” she said, her shoulders went down.

 

“Oh,” Jinri didn’t know what to say. “It’s okay!” suddenly she exclaimed cheerfully. “It’s still the first test, and we can study more for the next test, right? I also have a subject I need to repeat, let’s study together, okay?” Jinri was blessed with a happy face and a contagious smile, so Soojung nodded a little after the showering of positive aura from Jinri.  

 

At that time, a group of boys walked passed them. One of the boys who had the fullest lips they had ever seen was ruffling the other’s hair, the one who seemed like he’s being dragged by the biggest boy. “Come on, Sehun-ah, cheer up this friend of yours? That’s the smartest guy’s responsibility.”

 

‘Sehun’ stared blankly at him.

 

“Besides, maybe next time you won’t get the first place again, so, CELEBRATE!” the dark haired shouted, fist pumped to the air.

 

Soojung and Jinri watched as the boys walked away. “… Wow, it must be nice to be a smart person?” Jinri mumbled.

 

“Who’s that?” Soojung asked, eyes still fixed on the storm of boys that pass them by.

 

“Hm?”

 

“The brown-haired boy.”

 

“Ah, I think that’s Oh Sehun…? He got the first place in this test. I wonder how that brain of his works. Perhaps he studies all day and night?”

 

Soojung looked away. “I doubt that.”

 

***

 

“Hey, Sehun-ah,” a gentle shake was delivered to Sehun’s body. “Wake up, it’s already late. Don’t you want to go home? Why in the world you sleep here anyway? Sehun-ah.” More shakes, patience, and persistence from Youngjae finally woke Sehun up.

 

Sehun straightened his body, stretching it while his mind trying to focus. He yawned without bothering to cover it and Youngjae covered his mouth for him. Sehun sat in his seat drowsily, and he almost went back to resting his head in the table if Youngjae didn’t hold him.
“Hey! It’s already five o’clock! The classes will be locked soon, let’s go home.”

 

Sehun looked up to Youngjae with his heavy-lidded eyes, his fringe messed up here and there, and there was a mark pattern from his wrinkled uniform’s sleeve on his forehead from using it as his pillow.

 

Youngjae chuckled at Sehun’s childish face. “Come, come,” he gently took Sehun’s arm and pulled him to stand. He also grabbed Sehun’s bag. “I wanted to wake you up before, but Jongin and Ilhoon said they want to see how long you can stay asleep,” Youngjae explained as both of them walked out from the class. “I think they make a bet of it. Ilhoon said we can find you tomorrow morning, undisturbed in your seat. I start to think he might be right…”

 

Sehun sighed, blinked, and finally took his bag from Youngjae. “Why are you still at school?” he asked in a hoarse voice.

 

“Journalism club,” Youngjae answered, rummaging through his bag. “You want some?” he handed a chocolate bar to Sehun.

 

“Umm.”

 

Youngjae broke a piece and feed it to Sehun, who voluntary open his mouth. “Jongin has a basketball club, Ilhoon has a soccer club… Hmm, it’s quite merry today.”

 

Soon they were out from the school, and Youngjae stopped Sehun, asking him to wait for the boys. Other students from various sports club showed up, seemed like the practices had ended. Sehun nudged Youngjae, asking for more chocolate. Youngjae just gave it all to Sehun.

 

After a few minutes, they could see their friends’ silhouettes walking towards them, both were still in their sport’s attires as both were too lazy to shower or to change. Jongin saw them first, and he cracked in a big laugh. Ilhoon noticed them later, and he swore, “…,” as Jongin reached out his hand to Ilhoon. Ilhoon took out his wallet in anger and shoved some money to Jongin’s hand.

 

“I told you Youngjae would wake him up,” Kai grinned, humming as he put Ilhoon’s money into his wallet.

 

Ilhoon glared at Youngjae who looked away, pretending he understood none.

 

“What’s this? Are you guys all waiting for me?” a happy, amazed voice approached them in a form of Niel, opened arms and glittered eyes from joy.

 

Ilhoon, “No.”

 

Jongin, “Who are you?”

 

Youngjae, “Oh, you’re still here?”

 

Sehun, “Hmmhh,” still chewing his chocolate.

 

“What, come oooon!” Niel groaned, disappointed. “I have a supplementary class for math, remember? I mentioned it to you before, this evening, yesterday, the day before yesterday!”

 

Youngjae’s eyes widened as if he just knew this fact, “Ah really?”

 

Jongin shook his head. “Nope, don’t remember.”

 

“Don’t care,” Ilhoon chimed in.

 

“You guys are the worst,” Niel muttered.

 

Suddenly, their attentions were distracted when a slender figure, long-haired girl walked passed them. Soojung turned her head towards the boys, noticing the gazes. She stopped and made a small, polite bow toward them before continue walking. 

 

The boys unconsciously bowed back – except Sehun, but Youngjae pushed him back to do so.

 

“Well, what’s that? Jung Soojung knows you?” Ilhoon asked Sehun, curious. Sehun shrugged, too sleepy and too hungry to care.  

 

“Maybe she’s just being polite? We, after all, are staring at her,” Youngjae said.

 

“Hey, I was just in the supplementary class with her! It’s possible she bowed to me!” Niel yelled.

 

Jongin cocked an eyebrow, his eyes scanning Niel from head to toe. Niel looked at Jongin, waited with expectation.

 

“… Let’s grab some dumplings on the way home?” Jongin cooly ignored Niel, pulling his bag to his shoulder with arm slung to Ilhoon, taking him away.

 

“I want bongeobbang,” Sehun opened his mouth, he and Youngjae following behind Jongin and Ilhoon.   

 

“That’s not cool, Kim Jongin!” Niel shouted in frustration.

 

***

 

Sehun tightened his blazer, the collar straightened up to cover his neck. He leaned back to the wall behind him, supposedly already had enough sleep during the school hours. It’s cold. I have to find another place.Sehun dug out his pocket but found nothing. He was not pleased with that.

 

At that time, the door to the rooftop opened, and a few footsteps later, Soojung squatted next to Sehun. “Why are you still here? School’s over,” Soojung said, seating herself.

 

“Why are you still here?” Sehun turned back the question.

 

“Can you explain this to me,” Soojung pulled out her notebook and a textbook from her bag. She continued taking out her stationery, and then a box of Pepero, a pack of shrimp chips, a pack of biscuits, and a lot of candies with various flavors. “I have the make-up test tomorrow,” Soojung said, done with her preparation.

 

Sehun extended his arm, grabbing the Pepero, and tore it open. Niel’s high pitched voice came to his mind, wailing, ‘I don’t understaaaaand. What should I do tomorroooowwww?’, and Youngjae would dragged him back to his seat, ‘You almost get it right, see? Just a little bit more.’

 

Sehun played with his Pepero, slipping it in between his lips but not chewing it yet. Soojung turned to him and bit a little part of his Pepero. “Help me.”

 

Sehun glanced at her. He ate the rest of the Pepero left in his lips, and leaned over. “Which part?”

 

***

 

“Whoa! , what are you doing? I thought you’re a dead person! Don’t sleep here!”

 

Sehun opened his right eye lazily. The person who just woken him already lost from his sight. He sat up, scratching his neck. Maybe the library is not a good choice, Sehun thought to himself, concluding after half an hour trying to sleep unsuccessfully. A lot of gasps and “Oh my god!” and someone stepped on his leg, another was almost tripped, and the last shout definitely a sign that the library is no good. Sehun didn’t think that there were that many people come to the library, and it’s after school hours.

 

Sehun stoop up and brushed himself. He remembered to pick up his bag, and was on his way out when he heard someone.

 

“Oppa, don’t do this. We’re at school. People will see.”

 

“Well no one’s here. And so what if they see? We’re dating, it’s normal.”

 

“Oppa.”

 

“It’s okay.”

 

Sehun walked past an aisle between two high shelves, and in the end of the aisle, leaning to the wall, two lovers were making out. The boy bent his back to kiss the girl who’s tiptoeing a little to return the kiss. The boy’s arms were wrapping her tightly in his embrace, while the girl’s hands were around his neck.

 

Suddenly she opened her eyes, and Soojung stared at Sehun, still not breaking her kiss with Choi Minho.

 

Sehun walked on, yawning as his stomach growling.

 

He was thinking of buying ddukbokki on his way home, but somehow he just ended in the rooftop again. He made a turn around the building, and squatted in his den. A minute later he was thinking to himself, Why am I here again? Ddukbokki? Or hot dog?

 

The door swung opened, footsteps that getting familiar.

 

Sehun glanced up to a standing Soojung. They stared into each other, before Soojung squatted next to him; their arms were brushing and exchanging warmth. Minutes were passing by and still not a single word spoken.  

 

Suddenly, without a warning, Sehun tilted his head towards Soojung and leaned on, kissing her on the lips. It was a simple, five seconds kiss. Sehun pulled back, returned to his position.

 

After a brief of silence, “… It’s cold,” Soojung spoke. “Already find a place?”

 

“Still searching,” Sehun answered.

 

“It’s hard to find a better place.”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“The storage room in the gym may be comfortable to sleep. But that’s a popular spot for making out.”

 

“And the library too?”

 

“Yes, the library, too…,” her voice trailed off. They fall back into silence, enjoying each other’s presences. Finally Soojung stood up. “I’m going home.”

 

Sehun didn’t even bother to look up. A short, “Bye,” was all he had to say.

 

***

 

Another month passed.

 

Autumn was already there, right outside the window, in the tips of the leaves, in the dark-colored sky, in the chilling breeze. It was warm, thought, in the class room. Chatters were heard across the room during the breaks they had between the periods. Sehun rested his chin in his hand, his expression was unreadable as always. However, he actually was listening carefully to Jongin’s story in front of him when Niel dashed in and approached them with high enthusiasm.

 

“Hey, do you guys hear it already? I guess God hear your prayer, Oh Sehun,” he patted Sehun’s shoulder and nodded gracefully. “I’m happy for you.”

 

“Why?” Sehun asked, furrowing his eyebrows.  

 

“What happened?” Youngjae moved his chair and scooted to Sehun’s table. Jongin, who sat in front of Sehun already facing Sehun when Niel came – he looked irritated that Niel cut his story, while Ilhoon stood beside Jongin, leaning to Sehun’s table.

 

“I heard Jung Soojung and Choi Minho broke up! So this is your chance, man!” he extended his fist to Sehun, waiting for him to bump his fist.

 

“For real?” Ilhoon was the one who gave a reaction.

 

“… Sehun?” Niel shook his fist in front of Sehun’s face, trying to get his attention.

 

Sehun was staring at him blankly. “Why?”

 

“Eeeh… why they broke up?” Niel put down his fist, knowing he would never get a fist-bump from Sehun. “I don’t know.”

 

“No,” Sehun shook his head lightly. “Why did you tell me? Why this is my chance? Why the fist-bump?”

 

Niel stuttered. “E-Eh? B-but I thought… you like Jung Soojung? Interested in her?” he turned to his friends for help.

 

“You don’t care if Jung Soojung is single or not?” Youngjae came to the rescue. Yes, Sehun did say Jung Soojung was weird and ugly, but it was the first time Sehun asked a girl’s name, so his friends one-sidedly decided that Sehun attracted to the girl.

 

Sehun shrugged and leaned back to his chair.

 

Jongin looked at this and exchanged glances with Youngjae. “Well, I care!” he threw his hands up. “I wonder why they broke up.”

 

Ilhoon looked around the class. He found what he was looking for. “Sohyun-ah!” he called a girl.

 

“What?” a girl shouted back from across the room. 

 

“Come here for a second, please?” Ilhoon waved his hand.

 

Youngjae raised his eyebrows in surprise, looking at Jongin for answer, but Jongin shook his head, as puzzled as Youngjae. Niel mumbled, incredulous, “… Did Ilhoon just say ‘please’?” Since Ilhoon was always so demanding and cocky.

 

Apparently Sehun heard him, cause he answered, “Yes he did.”

 

Kwon Sohyun approached them, looking slightly annoyed that her conversation with her friends was disturbed. She was this one girl with the chubby cheeks and a ponytail, no one of the boys ever had a real conversation with her before – but turned out it’s different with Ilhoon.

 

“Sohyun-ah, do you know about Jung Soojung and the president? I heard they broke up? Do you know why?” Ilhoon asked her.

 

“You called me just to ask that? And why do you care?” Sohyun put her hands in her hips.

 

“Well first, Jung Soojung is hot.”

 

Sohyun rolled her eyes. “Too bad for you, lover boy, they don’t break up. I heard they have this big fight, though. Choi Minho Sunbae was throwing tantrum in the student council. But they’re still together.”

 

“Do you know what the fight is about?”

 

“What am I? Their mother?”

 

“My source of gossip,” Ilhoon smiled. Niel almost raised his hand to cover his eyes because Ilhoon’s smile was too blinding.

 

“No, I don’t know. Now, can I go back?”

 

“Yes. Thank you, Kwon Sohyun-ssi, you’re the best,” Ilhoon winked at her. Sohyun rolled her eyes again before leaving the boys. “So that’s that! … What?” Ilhoon realized that his friends were staring at him – Sehun didn’t blink, Youngjae blinked too much, Niel forgot to close his mouth, and Jongin faked a gag. “WHAT?”

 

“You freaking WINK at her!” Jongin whispered loudly.

 

“I did? I guess I did, huh,” Ilhoon chuckled. “Sorry, we’ve known each other for years. Habit.”

 

Niel shuddered thinking of Ilhoon’s attitude. “What kind of habit is that?”

 

“Anyway, now we know that Jung Soojung is still taken,” Ilhoon raked his hair with his fingers.

 

“That’s too bad. Right, Sehun?” Niel turned hopefully to Sehun, but the boy was too busy tugging Youngjae’s shirt, asking for chocolate. 

 

***

 

Sehun lay motionless and soundless, hands under his head, staring at the storage room’s ceiling, listening to the sounds made by a making out couple. He was sleeping – or at least he’s trying to sleep – on the mattress, covered behind the equipment shelf, but if he stood up he would be discovered easily.

 

Sehun silently checked his watch. This couple was pretty intense. Sehun didn’t care, but they were too loud. If only they didn’t make so much noise, they could continue making out, and Sehun could sleep. Everybody would be happy.

 

“Hey,” Sehun stood up, and facing the frozen up couple. “Can you keep the voice down? I’m trying to sleep here. And I don’t think doing it here is a wise decision.”

 

The girl was too embarrassed by being found out; she quickly picked up her clothes and ran off. The boy was contemplating between doing something to Sehun – who ruined his time – or catching his girlfriend, but finally he did the later.

 

Sehun went back to his position. He hated not able to see the sky, but he thought the storage room worth a shot. He must have been dozed off, because when he opened his eyes, Soojung was sitting near him, hugging her knees, back leaned to the wall.

 

“… What time is it?” Sehun groggily asked as he sat up, feeling a little bit confused after the nap.

 

“School’s over,” Soojung answered. Her eyes were closed.

 

Sehun found a candy in his pocket and popped it into his mouth. He tasted the orange flavor from the candy before scooted to Soojung’s right side, also resting his back to the wall.     

 

“I told him I kissed another guy,” Soojung started.

 

“You were kissed.”

 

“He was furious.”

 

“I heard.”

 

“He doesn’t want to break up.” Soojung opened her eyes. “Why he doesn’t want to break up?”

 

Sehun glanced at Soojung out of the corner of his eyes, and he saw that tears were filling up her eyes. Sehun averted his gaze down, and he reached out to Soojung’s hand. Her hand was small and she has long, pretty fingers, and Sehun stared at those fingers as he intertwined them with his own. “… What’s the story?” he said, giving her a gentle squeeze in the hand.

 

“The story? The same, old, predictable story.”

 

Sehun’s thumb traced a circle in the back of Soojung’s hand. He could hear her sighed.

 

“… We’re childhood friends. Our families are friends, and we practically grows up together. He’s always there for me, taking care of me. ‘Soojung-ah, be careful. Soojung-ah, don’t eat too fast. Soojung-ah, you should learn play the piano. Soojung-ah, don’t sleep too late. Soojung-ah, didn’t I tell you before? Soojung-ah, why didn’t you listen? Soojung-ah, I love you.’ …”

 

Sehun stopped making circles with his thumb. 

 

“I don’t understand. But he said the feelings are mutual, that I will understand it later, I just need to give it some time.”

 

Soojung stopped talking, so Sehun brought her hand to his lips, brushing his lips slowly on each knuckles before finally planted a kiss on the back of Soojung’s hand.

 

Soojung’s voice floated around in the atmosphere. “… ‘Soojung-ah, you’re mine. Don’t talk to other boys. Soojung-ah, why you didn’t pick up your phone? Soojung-ah, why you didn’t text me yesterday? Soojung-ah, I don’t want you to dress like that ever again. Soojung-ah, can’t you behave yourself? You’re the student council’s president’s girlfriend. Soojung-ah, how many times I should tell you?’…” Soojung turned to Sehun, and found Sehun’s eyes were staring at her. His hair was disheveled, and his face remained unchanged, but Soojung knew he was listening all the time. Eyes locked to Sehun’s, she said, “… It’s suffocating.”

 

Sehun stared at Soojung for two seconds before he pulled Soojung to him, his left hand letting go of Soojung’s hand and wrapped around Soojung’s neck instead while he tilted his head to kiss her. It lasted a little longer than their first kiss, and Sehun positioned his head to deepen the kiss. It wasn’t a simple and innocent kiss anymore.

 

When he broke the kiss, he searched for Soojung’s eyes, and the pair of black beads was staring back at him, softened. They were still in the kissing range, that they could feel each other’s breath.

 

“You don’t have a mint candy?” Soojung whispered, her tongue’s playing with the orange candy in .

 

“Next time,” Sehun replied.  He went forward so that their lips were slightly touching without any pressure; he didn’t kiss her. Instead, he lowered his head, burying his face in Soojung’s neck. His nose touched Soojung’s skin, while his lips brushed her neck. “… You smell nice,” Sehun said.

 

Soojung stared at the ceiling. “… I live with my parents,” she said out of nowhere.

 

“That’s too bad,” Sehun still busy with Soojung’s neck.

 

“I know.”

 

Sehun pulled back. “I don’t live with my parents.”

 

“That’s nice.”

 

“I know.”    

 

***

 

Sehun could feel the tips of Soojung’s fingers tracing his jawline. “… What are you doing?” he asked, eyes still closed.

 

“You’re not sleeping? He always sleeping after we did it,” Soojung’s voice was near, right in his left ear.

 

As usual, Sehun’s right hand was under his head, but this time his left arm was trapped under Soojung’s body. “… too much information,” he growled, wrapping his arm to Soojung’s shoulder and drawing her closer. 

 

Soojung turned around, supporting herself with her right elbow, and Sehun could feel her bare s pressed on his side. “I thought you don’t care,” Soojung still tracing Sehun’s jawline with her left hand.

 

Sehun made some inaudible muttered. He didn’t really try to sleep, just enjoying the feeling of having his eyes closed. But Soojung’s fingers were dancing on his face, slowly making their way to his neck, down to his chest…

 

“You know, at this rate, I’ll never let you go home,” Sehun finally opened his eyes, looking at her.

 

Soojung’s fingers stopped. “Just enjoying what’s in front of me,” she shrugged. “Do you have anything to eat?”

 

“I think I have enough ingredients for omellete.”

 

“Should I cook for you?” Soojung rolled over to the end of Sehun’s bed, slipping out from the blanket as she reached for her clothes.

 

Sehun sat up, watching Soojung buttoning her shirt. Soojung’s eyebrows raised in question when she noticed Sehun had been watching her. “No. Just. Could you leave it at that?”

 

Soojung hadn’t finished dressing up, she only wore her underwear and her shirt. “Okay.”

 

A few minutes later Sehun followed Soojung to his kitchen, boxer and wife beater on. Soojung already managed to find the ingredients she need, and had her back turned to Sehun, chopping the vegetables skillfully. Sehun approached her, stood behind her with his arms resting in the table, trapping Soojung beneath his arms. He put his chin on Soojung’s shoulder.

 

“You’re not helping,” Soojung said calmly.

 

“I’m supervising,” Sehun mumbled.

 

“You are really not helping. Move.”

 

“Not want.”

 

Soojung was in the middle of shoving him when they heard noises from the front door; the sound of keys jiggling, the sound of the key inserted in the keyhole, a click when the key was turned, and finally the opened door.

 

“Ah, he’s home.”

 

“Who?” Soojung asked curiously, as the both of them stayed in their place, only staring at the door, waiting for the person who made the noise to show up.

 

“I’m home,” that person came in, still not aware of Sehun and Soojung. He was busy taking off his shoes in the porch.

 

Sehun gave Soojung a light kiss on her cheek. “Come, I’ll introduce you.”

 

“Sehun-ah? Are you home yet?” he was done with his shoes, and he turned back to come in, “Sehun-ah- WOAAA!” he jumped in his place, in shock when he saw Sehun with a girl, a girl that only wore her shirt uniform, revealing much of skin. And judging from Sehun’s attire, it’s pretty clear what was they just do. “Woa! W-what-, I-I mean- SE-SEHUN!” that person covered his own eyes, flustered, all red until his ears. 

 

Soojung looked up at Sehun, who gave her a nod, so Soojung went back to Sehun’s room to get fully dressed.

 

“All clear,” Sehun said to that person.

 

That person peeked through his fingers, and when he finally confirmed there’s no half girl in his sight, he stormed to Sehun. “What was that?!” he shouted in whisper, his hands flapping in the air in panic. He whispered words from the his gritted teeth, “Did you just- Could you not- I mean- Did you-”

 

“Hyung. Slow down. You’re not making any sense.”

 

That person let out a deep sigh. “Okay,” he said after he regained his composure. “Okay,” he repeated, “… you have all the right to do… that.”

 

“I know.”

 

He glared at Sehun. “You know I will come home at this hour!”

 

Sehun shrugged.

 

Soojung showed up, this time in her full uniform, hair combed. She bowed to the other person. “I’m Jung Soojung,” she said politely.

 

“Ah, yes, I’m Xi Lu Han, nice to meet you,” Luhan bowed back immediately. He had a pretty doll face, with hair one tone lighter that Sehun’s, and he’s just a little shorter than Sehun.

 

“He’s my boyfriend,” Sehun flung his arm to Luhan’s shoulder.

 

“Ah, I see,” Soojung nodded.

 

“No! It’s not like that!” Luhan hurriedly shook Sehun’s arm off. “I’m his cousin.”

 

***

 

“Ehm,” Luhan cleared his throat. “So, Soojung-ah… Ehm, by the way, your cook is delicious,” he remembered to compliment her. “It’s been a while since we eat proper food.”

 

“Thank you,” Soojung replied politely, but without a smile.

 

Luhan tilted his head a little. The girl in front of him reminded Luhan of Sehun, a lot. Something in her aura. After the introduction, Soojung continued her cooking, having more ingredients now that Luhan brought home some foods. And after they dined in together, Sehun was out to buy some sweet snacks, leaving Luhan and Soojung alone. Luhan’s expression softened at the thought of Sehun, so he smiled a little. “Are you… Sehun’s girlfriend?” he asked, hoping he’s not meddling too much.

 

“No.”

 

Luhan’s face fell. He was pretty sure they were something, just by looking at their gestures towards each other during the dinner. “If you don’t mind me asking… Do you have a boyfriend?” Luhan asked cautiously.

 

This time Soojung didn’t answer, only gave him a nod.

 

“Ah… So it’s like that,” Luhan nodded unconsciously. “That’s… complicated…” He turned to Soojung, and found a trail of worriedness in her look. “Ah, don’t worry. I know Sehun’s a good kid, he must have his reason, you two must have your reasons. Hmm… Sehun’s not good in expressing himself, but I can tell he cares for you,” Luhan smiled. “And I think… Sehun already thinks of you as his girlfriend. Please take care of him.”

 

Soojung’s eyes fell down, but she nodded, so Luhan ruffled her hair, already liking the girl with Sehun’s aura.

 

***

 

It was lunch time, and the boys were busy stuffing food to their trays. Jongin lead them to an empty table, “Nope, I think Run Devil Run is the best. Bad chicks, come on!” putting his tray on the table.

 

“’Oh!’ era until the end, end of discussion,” Niel sat in front of Jongin.

 

“Am I the only one who thinks I Got A Boy is the biggest turn on ever?” Ilhoon sat beside Jongin, already chewing his kimchi even before they reached the table.

 

“What are they talking about?” Sehun asked Youngjae, he was only absent mindedly following his friends, and now he had no clue of the conversation’s topic.

 

“The best SNSD’s concept,” Youngjae shrugged, giving Sehun a motherly smile, almost as he if tried to apologize on the behalf of their friends. “And I like Kissing You,” he said to his friend, sitting beside Niel.

 

“Genie,” Sehun suddenly said, sitting beside Youngjae.

 

All his friends turned to him, surprised that even Sehun had opinion about their topic. But Sehun ignored his friends’ stares, already digging in into his lunch, and soon his friends joined him, chatting about other things.

 

Some loud laugh broke and the boys looked up from their lunch, finding the seniors’ table was making uproar as usual. This one senior was standing and making hand gestures that was supposed to support his story, and after he did that the table was broke in another wild laugh and clapping hands.

 

Jung Soojung, again, was in that table, looking more lost than ever. But then Minho whispered something to her ear, and she made a stiff smile.

 

“There!” Niel almost pointed out his finger to the seniors’ table. “Did you see that? She’s smiling!”

 

Ilhoon swallowed his food before giving his comment, “Yeah, but…,” he lowered his voice even though there’s no way those seniors could hear him, “… don’t you think her smile is a little bit… forced?”

 

“Like the president told her to smile,” Kai mumbled under his breath.

 

“It’s not our business, let’s not minding it too much?” Youngjae seemed disturbed, because he too, did notice Soojung’s forced smile, and he didn’t like it. 

 

Sehun put down his chopsticks and wiped his mouth. He stood up, ignoring Niel’s shout, “Where are you going? Sehun!”

 

Sehun approached the seniors’ table. Kim Kibum, the senior who told the funny story looked up at him, “Yes? What do you want?”

 

Sehun blatantly ignored him, he only looked at Soojung who stared back at him, showing no change in her expression but her eyes reveal it all. Sehun took out a candy from his pocket, and putting it in front of Soojung, not breaking the eyes’ contact. He did all that without a word, and Soojung realized it was a mint candy. Minho watched all of this, and when he glanced to see Soojung’s face, realization came into him as his own face started to fill up with rage.

 

Sehun was already walking away from their table when Minho snapped out. He stood up, took two big steps, reached out to Sehun’s shoulder in anger to make him turn around, and without a warning he landed a punch on Sehun’s face.

 

“Minho!” his friends screamed.

 

“!” Jongin was the first one to stand up, hurriedly come to help Sehun.

 

The canteen turned into frenzy as people stood up and came closer from their seats to watch the fight. Minho was already above Sehun, sending him punch after another, while Sehun tried to block it but he did not try to hit Minho back.

 

“Minho, stop! That’s enough!” his friends were practically dragging Minho away from Sehun, he kicked and struggled to free himself, still in rage.

 

Sehun’s friends were already on his side, Ilhoon and Youngjae sided him and helped him to get up. His face looked awful, there was blood on the side of his mouth. He said nothing, only looked at Minho with unchanged expression. 

 

“DON’T MESS UP WITH SOMEONE’S ELSE GIRLFRIEND, YOU BASTARD!” Minho shouted, spitting everywhere, while his friends tried to hold him, whispering things between, “Minho, enough.”

 

Minho turned to Soojung furiously before dragging her with him, and Soojung could only glance to Sehun before Minho pulled her away. Most of Minho’s friends were throwing a look into Sehun and the boys, and then they too walked out from the canteen. But this one senior stayed back, looking at Sehun with hesitation. He walked up to Sehun, and Jongin stepped in front of Sehun, guarding him and blocking the senior away.

 

Kim Joonmyeon, the senior, smiled. “It’s okay. I just want to check his condition. Are you okay?” he asked Sehun.

 

Sehun nodded, a little bit unconvincing since now he couldn’t even stand properly without Ilhoon’s help.    

 

“Do you need to go to the hospital? I can take you,” Joonmyeon offered.

 

“… no,” Sehun said before winced, it even pained him to talk.

 

“We’re fine,” Jongin gritted his teeth, his face still hostile towards Joonmyeon.

 

“Okay. Just making sure,” Joonmyeon smiled again. “Sorry for that. Take care,” he patted Jongin’s shoulder, who clearly annoyed by that gestures. “Okay, guys, show over, go back to your lunch…,” he drove the watching students away.

 

“Are you alright?” Youngjae asked Sehun, worried. “Let’s take him to the infirmary,” he spoke to Ilhoon who gave him a nod. Sehun’s all quiet, and he looked limp.

 

“Let me,” Jongin took over Sehun’s arm from Ilhoon. It’s easier cause he’s the same height as Sehun, while Ilhoon’s shorter. “Dammit, Oh Sehun, why did you do to that?” he hissed, his face showed his concerned. He glanced to Sehun, and to his surprise, Sehun had a small smile on his face.    

 

***

 

The next day Sehun didn’t go to school, so the boys went to his house instead.

 

“I’ll make the tea, just sit down,” Youngjae pushed Sehun over. Sehun gladly went back to the living room, joining Jongin, Ilhoon, and Niel.

 

“So you live alone?” Ilhoon asked. This was the first time they came to Sehun’s place.

 

“With my cousin. He’s in college right now,” Sehun answered, sitting beside Niel and resting his head on Niel’s shoulder. Niel flinched before grinned widely and waved his hand vigorously towards Jongin and Ilhoon.

 

“Yes, we see that,” Jongin scoffed at Niel. Sehun usually only acted like a child around Youngjae, affected by the way Youngjae always pampered him – and everyone, as the matter of fact. Niel felt happy that Sehun acted that way towards him, although he’s a couple months younger than Sehun.

 

“Why you didn’t punch back yesterday?” Jongin demanded an explanation.

 

Sehun shrugged. “What for? It’s too bothersome.”

 

Jongin was irked hearing Sehun’s answer.

 

“But seriously, Sehun, what was that yesterday? Suddenly you gave her… a candy? Why a candy made the president go wild like that? What did you do?” Ilhoon puzzled. “It was just a freaking candy! You hide something from us, didn’t you?”

 

Sehun chuckled, and three heads turned to him in disbelief, wondered if they hear it wrong. Sehun? Laugh?

 

“What is it? Spill it! Come oooon, tell us!” Niel whined, but he made sure to stay still so Sehun’s head in his shoulder wouldn’t get disturbed.

 

“Tell us what?” Youngjae came in, bringing a tray with 5 cups of tea.

 

“This guy obviously had something’s going on with Jung Soojung, and he didn’t tell us!” Ilhoon pointed at Sehun, complaining to Youngjae like a little child.

 

“Plus he just laughed,” Jongin added, still looking at Sehun.

 

“And I missed that?” Youngjae sounded genuinely disappointed. At that time they heard the doorbell rang. “Can I get that?” Youngjae asked Sehun, and Sehun gave him the nod. Youngjae disappeared to the entrance. They heard him opened the door, and, “Oh…”

 

“Who is it?” Jongin shouted from the living room. There was no answer, but a second later, Jung Soojung came in into the living room with another girl who following her with uncertainty, while Youngjae trailed behind the two.

 

Sehun straightened his back when he saw her.

 

It looked a little like a staring contest, when Soojung only stood in her place, staring at Sehun, and Sehun stared back, no words exchanged. The aura felt a little bit weird; Niel sent question with his eyes to Ilhoon, Ilhoon secretly shook his head and frowned at Jongin, Jongin shot him a look before shifting his eyes to Youngjae, Youngjae bit his lips and asked carefully, “Do you want some tea or anything…?”

 

“Why?” for a moment Youngjae thought the question was aimed at him, but the he realized Soojung was asking Sehun.

 

Sehun stood up and took Soojung’s hand, leading her to his room under his friends’ eyes. He closed the door behind him.   

 

Whaaaaaat? Niel mouthed this word as soon as Sehun and Soojung disappeared, his jaw just an inch away from being dislocated when he opened it that wide.

 

“That bastard,” Jongin stood and rushed up to Sehun’s door, planting his ear to the door in his attempt to overhear the conversation behind the door.

 

“Smooth, Oh Sehun,” Ilhoon smirked, joining Jongin.

 

“What just happened?” Niel whispered to the equally confused Youngjae. “Are you guys being serious?” he whispered to Jongin and Ilhoon, but he, too, crept to the door and shoved Ilhoon over to give him space.

 

“Guys, come on, don’t do this,” Youngjae shifted uncomfortably. “Sorry,” he said to Choi Jinri, who looked as awkward as Youngjae.

 

Shut up, Jongin mouthed.

 

Niel waved his hand, signaling Youngjae to come over. Youngjae sighed, glanced at Jinri, hesitated, but in the end he decided to join his friends. Jinri followed behind him, but she didn’t put her ear in the door.

 

***

 

“Why did you do that?” Soojung asked.

 

“I thought you want a mint candy,” Sehun sat on the edge of his bed.

 

“… Then why didn’t you fight back?”

 

“I don’t feel like it. Why everyone’s asking that question?”

 

Soojung sat beside him. “It’s not your fault. You don’t deserve it.”

 

Sehun shook his head in disapproval, but he said nothing.

 

“… is it hurt?” Soojung’s hand were extended, her fingers barely touch Sehun’s face, on his wound near the mouth. 

 

“No.”

 

Soojung looked skeptical, so she leaned over and kissed him. Sehun returned the kiss and winched immediately because of the pain.

 

“… liar,” Soojung whispered between her lips.

 

“Am not,” Sehun insisted, and he went back to kissing her.

 

***

 

Jongin, Niel, and Ilhoon froze in their place. “Did I just hear… a moan?” Ilhoon whispered, dumfounded.

 

Jongin cringed as he nodded. Niel shook his head in horror. Youngjae was flustered, he barely heard it and wasn’t sure about what he heard, but his friends’ reactions confirm it. Meanwhile, Jinri’s face was as red as the sunset.

 

They heard noises from behind the door, and Jongin was the first to realize, “!” he swore lowly, in a hurry towed Ilhoon’s collar and dragged him from the door. They fumbled their way to the living room, pretending they’ve been there all along when Sehun slightly opened his room’s door. 

 

Jinri and Youngjae were sitting in the most perfect manner ever, side by side, eyes averted to the floor as if they’re being scolded, Ilhoon hurriedly grabbed a lying magazine and wasn’t aware that he hold it upside down, Jongin was awkwardly doing pushed up, and Niel was sipping the tea – but he spurted it when he saw Sehun’s bare shoulder peeking from behind the door.

 

“Yeah?” Jongin asked casually to Sehun from his push-up, completely ignoring the fact that Sehun’s half . 

 

“Hey,” Sehun didn’t come out. “Thanks for coming. I’m a little busy right now. See you tomorrow at school.” He was about to close to door, but Soojung must had say something to him, cause Sehun opened the door again. His eyes found Jinri. “And Jinri-ah, Soojung said sorry. I already undressed her-” Niel coughed hard “-so she can’t come out. Can someone of you take her home? Thanks again.”  And Sehun closed the door for real this time.

 

Jongin slipped to the floor, Jinri covered her face with her hands, Youngjae hurriedly drank up his tea, Niel made some unexplained hand movements, and Ilhoon was, “Holy ! That kid!” his face was a mix of disbelief and a trail of proudness.

 

Niel swallowed, his eyes still fixed on Sehun’s door. “Does he really…?  With us, here, outside his room?!” Niel bewildered.

 

Jongin raised his eyebrows. “Apparently, yes, he does.” He stood up, “Come on, let’s go home. I bet it’ll take a long time before they went out. Unbelievable, Oh Sehun,” he mumbled Sehun’s name. He took notice of the stiffened Jinri. “Where do you live? We’ll take you home.”

 

***

 

Days were passed, and Sehun still not telling about his relationship with Soojung. A lot of murmur happened, after all, Minho beat him in the canteen, in the plain sight of everyone to see. Gossips filled in the gaps between the truths, and Sehun just didn’t bother. Jongin would glare at people who gave Sehun judging stare, and even Niel would made a face to them. Youngjae would pat his back, while Ilhoon gave his best smile to those people before saying, “Screw off.” Sehun grateful for that, but really, he didn’t care.    

 

Soojung was almost like a hostage; Minho never left her side, always dragging her around. His face no longer had the perfect smile of a perfect student body’s president. He had this angry expression in his face all the time.

 

Sehun played with the candy in his mouth, secretly on a candy in the middle of the class. He stared at the black board, mind drifted away.

 

Let’s stop this. I don’t want you to be hurt. And I know he will hurt you again. I will find a way, so don’t do anything to provoke him.

 

Slowly, Sehun rested his head in the table, and closed his eyes. He felt like he will never find a better place.

 

***

 

It was a pretty good day in the middle of Fall. The boys were done with their lunch, and decided to hanging out in the backyard. Ilhoon found a soccer ball and indulged in a mini competition with Youngjae, while Sehun, Jongin, and Niel watched them from the side, sitting in the stone steps that surround the field.

 

Sehun was on a lollipop as usual, when Jongin nudged him, and Sehun looked to the direction Jongin pointed out with his nod. Jinri was standing there, looked scared and full of hesitation. Sehun stood up and approached her.

 

Ilhoon stopped playing with the ball, and he shot a questioning look to Jongin and Niel, both shook his head. Youngjae decided to go to Jongin’s and Niel’s place, and the four of them spied on Sehun and Jinri.

 

“What’s the matter?” Sehun asked Jinri, his hands on his pocket.

 

“… It’s Soojung-ah,” Jinri opened , her voice was soft and low, but Sehun could hear her. “… She’s…” Jinri looked away, obviously contemplating whether to tell on Sehun or not.

 

“Hey,” Sehun touched Jinri’s arm a little. “It’s okay. You can tell me.”

 

Jinri looked at Sehun’s eyes, searching for confirmation there. Finally she took a deep breath, and said, “I think Minho Sunbae hits her.”

 

Sehun could feel something’s sinking to his stomach. “… What?”

 

“Soojung-ah doesn’t say anything, but… she has these marks… usually in her arms so they’re covered, but this time she has a cut on her lips, she said she fell, but I really don’t think it’s the case, and she was just seeing Minho Sunbae…,” Jinri bit her lips. 

 

Sehun spitted out his lollipop. His eyes were dark, but his voice was calm. “Where is she?”

 

“… in the infirmary…,” Jinri answered. “But-”

 

Sehun didn’t stay to hear what’s more Jinri had to say, he walked past her in big steps, almost running. His friends saw his rush, and Jongin came to Jinri. “What happened? What did you say?” he just took a glimpse of Sehun’s face, and Jongin did not like it a bit.

 

Jinri looked scared under Jongin’s eyes. “I-… I told Sehun-ssi, I think Minho Sunbae hits Soojung-ah…”

 

“What?!” the boys asked in coincide.

 

“This is bad,” Niel whimpered, but Jongin was already chasing after Sehun. 

 

Sehun reached infirmary in no time, panting. He saw Soojung sat on the chair, the nurse was taking care of the cut in her lips. Soojung’s eyes found him and she looked surprised.

 

“… what happened to you?” Sehun asked her, gently Soojung’s cheek.

 

Soojung tilted her head towards Sehun’s hand. “Nothing. I just fell.”

 

“Really.”

 

“Uh-huh.”

 

Sehun looked at that girl and her wound, and it pained him so bad to do so. He stopped Soojung’s cheek. “You’re lying.”

 

Soojung looked back at that boy. Carefully, she shook her head. “It’s okay,” she spoke softly.

 

And Soojung’s acceptance was the thing that gave Sehun away. He could feel anger creep slowly in the back of his head, as the images of Minho and Soojung making out in the library come to his mind, and images of Minho’s arm holding Soojung close to him, and Soojung;s voice,“He always sleeping after we did it”, and the wound in Soojung’s face…

 

Sehun turned his body, blocking out Soojung’s pleaded shout as he rushed out from the infirmary. He collided with Jongin and the boys in the hallway, where Jongin managed to catch his arm, but Sehun shook him off with unexpected force and continued proceed to the canteen. 

 

When Sehun came into the canteen, he spotted Minho, chatting with his friends while making his way out of the canteen. Sehun darted to him; Minho saw Sehun at the last minute but he didn’t have the chance to prepare himself, and Sehun launch a big blow to his face.

 

Minho fell back to the floor, blood gushed out from his broken nose.  

 

Soojung and the boys ran into the canteen just in time to hear Sehun shouted at Minho, “Don’t you dare lay a finger on my girl anymore!”

 

“What? Your girl?” Minho managed to answer back, enraged by Sehun’s word. Joonmyeon already on his side, trying to help him, but Minho pushed him away. Minho held his broken nose as he stood up, ready to engage in a fight.

 

But suddenly, in front of his eyes, Soojung burst into Sehun’s arms, cupped Sehun’s face and kissed him full on the mouth; even Sehun’s eyes grew wider for this sudden kiss. Soojung pulled back facing a dazzled Sehun, and she said in a big smile, “I love you so much, Oh Sehun,” before went back to kissing him again.

 

Minho was clearly cursing and prepared to launch tantrum, but Joonmyeon held him back, mumbled, “Come on, let it go. Save your pride.” After all, Minho’s supposed girlfriend just kissed another man in front of all students and told him she loves him. “Let’s get you to the hospital,” he pulled his friend away with Kibum’s help.

 

“… She smiled…,” Youngjae whispered in awe.

 

“Are they aware that they’re still in school and they’re making out in front of us?” Niel scratched his head. “And-hhhmph.“

 

“Ssshh,” Jongin clamped his hand over Niel’s mouth.

 

“Man, I love happy ending,” Ilhoon grinned ear to ear.

 

Soojung and Sehun stared into each other, and Sehun smiled to her, whispered, “I love you more, Jung Soojung.”