Will You Have Me?

Only You

(A/N: Okay. Brace yourselves. This is a hard and somewhat confusing first chapter. Lots of explaining and things left unexplained. But I promise. All in due time!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“You pathetic excuse for ! You lowlife son of a !” I half screamed half sobbed, clenching my fist to punch my ex (as of two minutes ago) in the face again.

“Stop it!” Yoseob shouted, running down the staircase and pulling me away from his stepbrother, Seungri, who was slumped over on the tile floor.

“Yoseob, let me go,” I fought to keep my tone even, as I wretched my hand from his grasp.

“No. Listen to me, hitting him wouldn’t fix anything. It’s just going to make your hand hurt. Please, just stop,” he said softly, grabbing both of my hands in his and raising them to his lips.

I shook my head, as hot, shameful tears ran down my face,

“No. I can’t…I…I…just.”

“Shhh, stop talking it’s not your fault,” Yoseob replied, pulling my head to his shoulder, making it better and worse at the same time. I could see the club hooker over his shoulder, standing awkwardly to the side as she tried to decide whether or not to leave or to stay. I numbly watched as she sheepishly glanced up at me, mouthing an apology and glaring at Seungri in disgust. I wasn’t mad at her; she couldn’t have known that Seungri was a cheating bastard.

Yoseob looked down and followed my eyes until his own landed on her. Keeping an arm around me, he pulled out his wallet, and while handing her a large amount of money, he apologized for troubling her. She waved him and his money away and instead she cautiously walked up to me.

“I’m sorry for what happened tonight. I truly didn’t know he was taken. But I am happy however that you found out about the real him,” she gestured to Seungri, who had begun to sit up and wipe blood from his mouth, “and that it seems that you have someone better for you.” She nodded at Yoseob with and smile.

I smiled for the first time that night. “Thank you,” I said, “but I’m not really…”

She blinked, waiting for me.

But it didn’t seem important that I explain to her that Yoseob and I weren’t really together. “Nevermind,” I offered instead, “do you need a cab or something to get home?” She shook her head.
 

“I’ll just text a friend. I’m okay.” She smiled and stepped forward, embracing me once, before backing away and slipping out the door.

The massive oak doors barely shut before I heard the scraping of Seungri’s rubber soles as he shakily stood up. Yoseob and I just had enough time to turn around before he came barreling towards us.

“Get away from her!” Seungri roared, shoving Yoseob away from me and grabbing me by my wrist, yanking me into him. I could smell the booze reeking from his breath as he grabbed my chin, trying to force me into a kiss. Driving my knee up into his crotch, I jerked away as he went down with a solid thud.

Turning away, I ran back into Yoseob’s stunned but waiting arms, clutching onto him for dear life out of shock and relief.

Behind us, Seungri had managed to get back up into a sitting position. Gritting his teeth, he growled,

“You’re such a . A cheap who will sleep with anyone. I leave the house for a little bit and you’re already yourself off to Yose—”

“Shut up Seungri! Just shut up!” Yoseob shouted, as he held on to me tighter, a dark aura came around him 

“Whatever. I bet you’re enjoying my girlfri—” Seungri didn’t even get to finish his sentence before Yoseob crossed the length of the room in a flash and punched him in the lip. Tackling Seungri as he went down, Yoseob viciously pinned him to the ground.

“I said: shut up!” Yoseob growled, as he flipped Seungri on his back and was going to punch him in the face again. I was about to dash forward and catch his arm when a loud booming voice came from above our heads.

“What is going on?”

I looked up to see Yoseob’s father standing at the top of the staircase, one hand gripping the banister forcefully as he surveyed the situation in front of him.

Yoseob quietly got off of Seungri and stood up, looking his dad in the eyes with a hard set stubbornness that dared him to think that he was wrong. Seungri on the other hand, rolled over, spitting out blood on the floor.

Mr. Yang slowly walked down the stairs, his eyes raking over all three of us in half of a puzzled type of interest and half anger. But it looked like by the time he reached the bottom of the stairs he had reached a verdict.

Looking down at Seungri in a guarded manner, he spoke. And when he did, his tone left no room for questioning. “Get up. Get a wet rag and clean your spit and blood off the floor. Then go to bed. I’ll deal with you tomorrow. And stay away from Mei Rin.”

Seungri struggled up into a sitting position and glared at Mr. Yang, but still got up and hobbled away to grab a rag.

Mr. Yang turned to Yoseob and I. “You two. Come with me.” He promptly turned around and led us away from the landing, and down the winding halls to his study. He opened the door for us and closed it behind as we filed into the vast room. It smelled of paper, ink, and dull anxiety.

Sinking into one of the leather couches, the headstrong businessman I knew, didn’t seem so much of a leader now. Now he looked like a tried father. With a sigh, he opened his eyes again and gestured for me to sit down across from him. To Yoseob, he asked him to make tea. Once Yoseob brewed two cups of tea and one hot coco (because he knows that I don’t like tea), and returned to us, Mr. Yang starts.

“So…I thought you were going to have a date with Seungri tonight. What happened?”

I took a deep breath in and began to explain. “Well, I was. But I guess you could say he stood me up. With alcohol and a girl.” I laughed drily. I could feel the tears pricking at my eyes, threatening to spill out. But I in air to calm myself. I couldn’t break down now. Not in front of Mr. Yang.

Who sighs and sets his cup down. He leans towards me, bracing his elbows on his knees. I look up and into his hard-set eyes. “Do you love him?” he asks. Simply.

I think deeply before answering. Because somewhere deep inside, I knew I never truly loved Seungri. I had always loved Yoseob since the day he helped me. But I also knew I loved him somewhere in my heart, because it hurt to see him with another girl every time that it happened. Keeping eye contact with Mr. Yang, I answered, “I suppose I did. At one point or another. But not anymore.” My voice betrays me and breaks.

Yoseob reaches for my hand and gives it a squeeze, but he doesn’t let go. If Mr. Yang notices this, he doesn’t say anything. But a small dart of his eyes gives him away. He leans back and laces his fingers around each other, before placing them on top of his knee. There is a heavy pause before he says anything. And when he does, it’s not to me.

“Yoseob.” He says softly.

Yoseob looks up. Still holding my hand. “Yes dad?”

“Go and prep your room for Mei Rin. She’ll be sleeping there tonight.”

“But dad, she’s a gir—” Yoseob starts, worried for my innocence.

“Do it now before I change my mind and make her sleep in one of the guest rooms. Do you want that?”

Yoseob shakes his head without hesitation. And his dad smiles.

“I know you son. I know and trust you. Now go before I change my mind,” his father chuckles. Yoseob takes two steps towards the door, then he stops. Spinning around, he swoops down and kisses me on the lips. In full force. Taking me by complete surprise.

At this his father laughs and claps as Yoseob pulls away and ducks his head down.

I blink. Still in shock, glancing nervously at Mr. Yang. I didn’t want him to think I was cheap. Switching from his stepson to his biological son. I hadn’t even asked my godfather if that was okay.

Yoseob, upon seeing my shocked and scared face smiled at me. “He already knows that we’re kinda together. Don’t worry. I’ll explain when you come up.”

And he’s gone. Once his son leaves, my godfather’s full attention swaps to me. He reaches his hands out and clasps mine.

“Are you okay?” he asks. I nod. “I’m sorry. I knew this was going to happen sooner or later.”

I look at him. Puzzled.

He takes a deep breath in and begins to explain. “I knew that Seungri would somehow cheat on you or mess up in someway when you two started dating and I wanted to stop it and save you from him, but I remembered your father last wish. It was not only to protect you but to also keep you happy. So I allowed you to date Seungri. Not only because of y best friend’s wish, but also because I knew you could do it. I knew that you would be strong enough to endure it. And I also knew Yoseob would help you along the way.” At this he winked. And I couldn’t help be smile.

That much was all true. My father had been sick with a terminal illness for a few years now and had only past away about half a year ago. And who knows where my mom is. After she gave birth to me, she took off. ‘Run right off into the night. With her hospital gown flapping in the wind, she never looked back,’ my dad always said.

So as the owner of a very well to do business that sold textiles and a businessman, my father wanted to make sure that I would be set for life after learning about his illness. So he asked his Mr. Yang to do him a favor. Buy up his company and gain profits. Which was very much in Mr. Yang’s best interest because those were no small profits. And in return for this, to give me 3/4th of the monthly earnings and give me a place to live.

So, after my father past away, Mr. Yang helped me move out of the old house that my father and I had used to live in, and brought me a very posh two-bedroom apartment on the very rich side of town. I tried to protest that it was too much, but he said he was merely doing what my father wanted.

Mr. Yang’s soft voice startled me back to him. “I just want to let you know that I will still be taking care of you. Even though you nearly broke my stepson’s face.” He chuckled. “You’ve always had a fire to you. But Mei Rin, you are my goddaughter and I will take care of you. No matter what.” He vowed, squeezing my hands once. I smiled and thanked him. He let go of my hands and told me to get to Yoseob.

“Are you okay about it?” I asked, fidgeting with my hands. “Please don’t think I’m loose or that I—”

He cut me off. “Now, I’m going to stop you right there. I don’t think you’re loose at all. In fact I applaud you. I realized you and Yoseob were going to fall in love with each other one way or another. Another part of the reason why I let the whole Seungri thing happen. Someone as headstrong and smart as you, wouldn’t have stayed with Seungri. You would’ve found, through your interactions with Yoseob, that he was just better. Now go.” And with that he pointed to the door. Where Yoseob waiting with a bright smile. I ran to him, feeling his arms wrap around my waist, securing me to him as we walked to his room.

As we past the landing, I noticed that the blood was gone and so was the owner. Going up the stairs, I turned to Yoseob.

“Where is Seungri?” I asked.

“Don’t know. Don’t care. I’m just glad he is not here.” He answered smoothly, kissing me once on the forehead before pulling away to open his bedroom door.

Locking it, he turned off the lights and pulled me into bed with him. my hair, he whispered,

“Now that we can be together, will you have me?”

“Of course,” I whispered, leaning up to peck him on the cheek. I could see him smile through the darkness of the room.

“I love you, Mei Rin.”

My heart swelled. “I love you too, Yoseob.”