Getting Along

Grey

Words: 1,576

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

The sun was shining through the window, disturbing Jonghyun’s sleep; he usually closes the curtains before he goes to sleep, but due to last night's event, he didn’t really remember to do so. However, what woke Jonghyun up was a familiar smooth voice, calling for him so carefully, and Jonghyun in his half asleep half awake mind knows that voice all too well, he expects to open his eyes to find himself in Jinki’s dim room, Jinki’s childish face gazing at him, trying not to alarm him, and he does so, he opens his eyes and the light blinds him for a second but when he could finally see, he wasn’t in such a room, and even though it was Jinki’s face still the first thing he sees, it isn’t childish anymore, it’s more mature and in his half asleep haze he realizes what he expected to see were mere memories, he also realizes that Jinki isn’t supposed to be there and his mind was thrown into full alarm, the sinking feeling in his heart returning to him, he gets up as fast as he could, clenching the sheets to his chest and gazing at Jinki, the words escaping him as he witnesses the angelic presence of the guy in front of him, he tears, remembering how the other smile always made everything alright but now it was sending nothing but old and bitter memories along with disappointment.

They were both silence, Jinki comfortably looking at Jonghyun, not even waiting for anything, Jonghyun trying to find his voice but even before he realizes he had lost it the other speaks. “It’s 5AM, isn’t your exam at 6?” Jinki whispers so smoothly, almost throwing Jonghyun into another day dream or memory, but he gulps and nods, staying silent as he picks himself up and heads for the bathroom.

-

When Jonghyun gets out of his room, all fresh and showered he finds Jinki on his couch, typing naturally on his own laptop – Jonghyun wanted to ask when did he bring it but decided not to talk at all- he also found Key in the kitchen, washing the dishes, which for Jonghyun was something new, Key rarely did anything in the morning, he wasn’t even sure why he was up at this hour, he liked to believe he just wanted an excuse to stay away from their uninvited guest.

You see, Jonghyun was wrong on that part, Key wasn’t a heavy sleeper, it was easier for him to wake up from the mere sunlight that was coming from the window Jonghyun forgot to close, to wake up from an unexplained pain in his heart and as he laid there in silence, he could hear as Jinki opened their door and tiptoed his way to Jonghyun’s side, crouching down and pausing to take a look at the sleeping guy, then he reaches for him, gently shaking him awake, Key wanted to chuckle, it was impossible to wake Jonghyun up like that, he needed someone to kick him off the bed.

What Key heard next were Jinki’s whispers, they were so gentle even to Key’s ears,  and happiness shot in his heart, proud to know that this won’t wake Jonghyun up, however, it did, and Key’s body stiffens as he slowly gets up, he watches as Jonghyun’s tongue gets tied, as they stare at eachother, as another low voice speaks and Key feels betrayed, it wasn’t that Jonghyun did anything to betray him personally, but the way he was responding to the other, as if he was charmed by him, it made Key wonder if he really knows Jonghyun, made him wonder if Jinki knew him way better and such feeling bothered Key more than it should, he stayed in bed till Jinki was out of a the room, swung his feet to place them on the ground, almost not expecting to find it, everything was turning out to be unexpected. Key stayed there until he heard the shower flow close, he got up, opened his door to find Jinki there with his laptop and he was thrown into a state of panic, but Jinki didn’t look up and Key made his way to the kitchen.

If you were wondering, Jonghyun didn’t have an exam but he had an essay to turn in on that day, he left the final editing to be done in the morning, which was the only thing he could pretend to do before he makes his way to his pretend exam.  Jonghyun makes himself comfortable on the couch, which was in front of the other couch Jinki was on, however, he didn’t sit in front of the other guy, just to the side and he began his work, ignoring any feelings he had, ignoring  everything around him.

That’s why he didn’t notice as Jinki stared at him, peeking from the top of his laptop screen, taking in Jonghyun’s features, taking in how sharp his cheeks became, how it was only a few years that he had missed but it looks like he missed a decade of Jonghyun’s life, a little guilt twisted in his guts as he wondered how hard were those years on him, Jinki’s always smiling face was wiped off, he stared at Jonghyun as he swallowed in his tears, as he tried his best not to get up and burry himself closer to Jonghyun, wrap his arms around the other body and mutter how sorry he is, but he knew he will have to give the other excuses and he didn’t know what to say, how to even begin to explain.

Key on the side was watching this all, his grip firm on his coffee cup, his mind thinking of all the possibilities of those two, of their possible past, of what could make Jinki stare at the other in longing; so wishfully.

---

 

Jonghyun didn’t really expect Jinki to tag along when he left the apartment, he was thinking of ways to solve this, to pretend to enter some exam hall maybe? But what stopped him from such thoughts were the loud steps behind him, ones that belonged to Jinki and even though they separated in those few years where your body changes and grows, it sounds all the same to Jonghyun, it sounded when the first time Jinki has decided to tag along, it was in kindergarten where little Jinki has told the other that he wants to be friends, Jonghyun didn't reply but that didn't stop Jinki from following him around, silently, and as bizzar as this may seem, this is how their story began.

"I know there isn't an exam." The older stands beside the other at the bus stop, looking ahead even when Jonghyun has turned his head to look at him.

"You're still such a terrible liar." Jinki continues and smiles, the amusement evident in his tone, he then glances at Jonghyun from the corner of his eye, to find him looking  at him with his mouth agape, it didn't make sense to Jinki, however, that didn't matter, it was rarely that Jonghyun had made any sense to anyone.

Jinki too, maybe that’s how they became friends, from understanding to not question the other odd reaction or behavior, but what they had wasn't something to appear overnight, what they had were years and years of laughter and pain, years of climbing trees and solving math, what they had was something you can never shake off, at least not for both of them.

Jinki continued to follow, silent again, he followed the other to his college, up to him meeting with some older woman in a coffee shop, Jinki would've thought otherwise  if she wasn't in a grey suit and her first words were few curses thrown at Jonghyun, however, such thing didn't alarm either of them.

They were talking about a possible gig for Jonghyun to sing in, the older man listens, sipping his sweetened coffee and watching them both, usually, if someone did that you would probably feel annoyed, but for Jinki, his presence was very light, forgotten and thus none of the two noticed.

"No, no way, I am not doing that gig." Jonghyun stresses once again, shaking his head and leaning back his chair, just like how he does when something is decided in his head, Jinki knows that. "He'll do it." A foreign voice says, the rest on the table turn to look at Jinki, the woman with a confused look on her face, but a bit hopeful, Jonghyun with a shocked expression and before he could protest the other guy speaks again. "I will make sure he will be there ma'am." The older assures, in a smooth voice, trustful to the woman's ear, yet she knew it's not how it worked.

"Bu-"

"No one starts at the top Jonghyun."  The lost friend's voice turns strict. Jonghyun doesn't speak a word after and the woman stands up, she believed she could trust him now, she handles Jinki her card, telling him that he'll need her number, not in a flirtous way, the way her voice sounded was anything but seducing, Jinki thought it sounded hopeless.

Hopeless might be the way you might describe these two right now, Jonghyun telling his stalker – as he called him- that it was out of line to in such thing, Jinki stays silent this time as well, Jonghyun stops ranting after they get in the bus.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Alright! I finally got around to writing this.

I was planning to make this a one shot but it turned out long and I'm still not even half way through so I guess I'll have to turn it into a chaptered fic