Angel

Angel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I walked into the café. This was the very same place we used to meet every day. It was our thing, meeting here, then going off for dinner together. I remembered how she’d always be there before me, sitting by the corner table with a steaming hot mug of tea latte. I don’t know why she chose that table the first time we met but I was grateful for it. It was a perfect location. Just by the glass pane, it presented the view of the large park just outside. Being at the corner also meant that we got our privacy, no one could overhear us. The large standing lamp next to the table helped too.

I’d usually walk in and see her through the corner of my eyes. I’d pretend not to notice her and just order my caramel macchiato straightaway. I loved the coffee art here, especially the decorative leaf designs. I’d tried several times at home and failed miserably, so I had always admired those who could do it so perfectly. Once I got my coffee, I’d usually look directly at the table where a waiting Taeyeon would greet me with her cute smile and chin dimple. I’d smile back as I make my way over to her. We’d sip our coffee and teas while talking about the various things that happened. Our day could have been extremely boring and yet, we would always find a topic to talk about. With Taeyeon, it was easy. Everything was comfortable. We could sit in silence and not feel awkward about it. That was just the way we were.

And then, that day happened. I had walked in just like I usually did, ordered the very same coffee and joined her at the table. It seemed like it was just another tea session with Taeyeon. But her face told me something was different. I was hesitant. I didn’t know what was on her mind. Somewhere deep in my mind, I think I knew what was going to happen but I squashed the thought. Impossible. She wouldn’t, I thought.

But she did. She said the very same words I thought she might. She told me the very same things my mind had warned me about. And I reacted the very opposite of how I should have.

I stood up, my eyes burning with confusion and disgust. I cut her off. No. This wasn’t right. She was a girl. She couldn’t love me and I wouldn’t love her. I told her she wasn’t who I thought she was. That I wouldn’t want to know someone like her. I didn’t say the exact words, but we both knew what it implied as I walked out of the café, walked out of her life.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter