Final

The Perfect Fairytale (Oneshot)

 

Kyuhyun stands at the front porch of her dorm, eyes fixed at the little window framed with pink curtains.

 

The light is dim, and the only thing he could see is the silhouette of a girl, sitting just beside the window.

 

He sighs, it had been three hours since his feet lead him there and he found himself walking to and fro, wondering why, when and how it even started (because it shouldn’t, it couldn’t have, they are happy.)

 

The car engines ringing through his ears came and disappeared, but he remain rooted, making up his mind before retreating at the very last minute.

 

The lights turn off, and he sighs, sinking on the bench where they first met.

 

-

They were a perfect fairytale

-

 

He smiles and something inside Seohyun breaks.She may not have been the most perceptive person out there, but still, she can see, and she can feel.

 

There are too many signs of a storm threatening to ruin her perfect life, but she refuses to believe anything now.

(No matter how obvious the signs are.)

 

She smiles back because they’ve gone through so so much, he’s the prince she’ve waited for all her life and they’re perfect.

 

She pretends she can’t feel something shattering again.

-

They were meant to last

-

Kyuhyun sighs on the edge of his bed. Seohyun hasn’t called like she normally does,

and he hates himself for not worrying. He flipped his phone open and left it in the side table,

just beside the photo of a happy couple, eyes shining and smiling the biggest smile they could – he can’t remember when it had been so easy .

 

In his closed eyes, he pretends he can see her. (like how he was supposed to in his every breathing second.)

 

He saw a pair of familiar bright eyes and a beautiful, beautiful smile. A heavy weight tugged on his heart – it wasn’t Seohyun’s.

 

-

They were supposed to be forever

-

 

Guilt rushed through her as she closed the door of Yonghwa’s car, waving to the man with an exuberant heart and high-spirited soul. His eyes looked at her gently, and she felt like she can’t breathe.

 

Should she call Kyuhyun and explain that it’s all because of work? But work doesn’t require eating in a fancy restaurant and accepting a diamond necklace does it? And to think they’re not even married anymore.

 

She looked through every photo of Kyuhyun and her, reminding herself who should matter in her life.  Absentmindedly, she reached out to the necklace in behind her shirt.

-

“I love you”

-

Kyuhyun wonders how long he would be able to keep up to this. He was lying to to himself, to her, to the whole world, and he knows it. But it’s easier this way. 

(Although easier doesn’t lessen the imaginary weight in his heart.)

 

He was her first love and she should be his last. It’s supposed to work that way.

He may be called a coward for not being able to say the words he long to say. But he’s the first one she gave her heart to, and he should be gentle, so, so gentle in handling that fragile heart so it won’t break.

 

(The weight seems to grow heavier)

-

It should have been the most beautiful words one could ever hear, but the three words somewhat rings painfully in her ears. 

She swears she can hear a shattering in the room - like her heart.

 

He was unlike any other, and she loved him, really. He was the first one to open up the door of her locked heart, ever so gently making his way closer.

(but it seems like he left a long time ago.)

 

His smile is the most beautiful she had ever seen, and she doesn’t want to lose that. So she tells a little white lie – something that would never hurt and will instead make people happier by hearing it.

-

“I love you too”

-

He smiles gently.

-

They were a perfect fairytale.

-

(She heard her heart crashing down.)

-

-

-