Jang Dongwoo

Unreliable Fates

“Hey Sunggyu, I have a surprise for you,” the said man looked up from his paperwork, seeing his co-worker Sungyeol smile at him with a stack of papers in his hands. With a loud thud Sungyeol dropped the millions of files on Sunggyu’s desk.

 

 

Groaning, Sunggyu tugged at his hair in frustration, “Are you serious? Look at all the work I have already!” Sunggyu complained pointing at all the files that laid on his messy desk. Sungyeol shrugged his shoulders.

 

 

“Yeah, don’t blame me. I’m just doing what the boss said,” Sungyeol simply says, before sitting in one of the leather chairs in front of Sunggyu’s desk. Sunggyu sighs in frustration, laying his head on the desk. It’s only been one week since Sunggyu graduated college to become a detective. He wasn’t even officially a detective, he was a “newbie” as his peers said. Sunggyu didn’t get to solve cases like Sungyeol. All he did was fill out paperwork, because his boss, Kim Myungsoo thought that he “wasn’t ready for big boy work”.

 

“Hey, it’s not as much work as you think. Boss wants you to focus on one file for a couple of months. Its actually a mission this time,” Sungyeol says fiddling with a pencil from the others desk. Sunggyu’s ears perk up listening to Sungyeol’s words.

 

“Really? A real mission?” Sunggyu asks lifting his head from the desk, with a pinch of excitement in his voice.

 

“Yeah,” Sungyeol answers glancing from the pencil to Sunggyu. Chuckling Sungyeol lays back in the chair. “I remember my first mission. It was abo-”

 

“Sungyeol I don’t care. Which file is it?” Sunggyu rudely interrupts the others sentence. Sungyeol glares at him with a pout.

 

“Bit rude newbie,” Sungyeol sneers with a smug smile on his lips. Sunggyu gives the younger a death glare, making him whip the smile off his lips. “Its the one on top.” Sungyeol quickly answers.

 

Searching the many piles of files Sunggyu finally finds the right one, he reads the front of the document repeating the words in his mind. On the yellow envelope says, “classified” and “delayed” in big bold letters. Raising an eyebrow in curiosity, Sunggyu opens the envelope, revealing its information.

 

“Jang Dongwoo.”

 

Sungyeol cringes hearing the said name, “Ugh, just hearing his name gives me the creeps,” Sungyeol says rubbing his arms trying to get rid of the goosebumps.

 

“What did he do that was so bad?” Sunggyu questions looking back at the document. Sungyeol shivers still thinking about the criminal.

 

“Just keep on reading the profile,” Sungyeol says curled up in the chair. Curiosity killing him, Sunggyu continues reading.

 

“Jang Dongwoo, 23 years old. Went to jail for 5 years at the age 14 for having a used gun and illegal drugs. At the age of 19 he was sent to the psychiatric hospital for being responsible for a school shooting, out running the police and then killing his family,” Sunggyu reads out loud studying each word he reads from the criminals bio. Sungyeol gags and squirms in his chair listening to the others words.

 

“Gosh just stop reading! its unbearable,” Sungyeol whines sinking into the chair.

 

“Wimp,” Sunggyu says teasingly rolling his eyes at the boy across the table. He puts the papers back into its envelope. “Why did the case get delayed?”

 

Sungyeol sits back up into the chair, “Aish, I really don’t want to talk about this,” he muttered rubbing his temples. Clearing his throat he continues, “It got delayed because we couldn’t find him. After the shooting he totally disappeared. To this day we still have no idea where he went.”

 

“Really? Is that it?” Sunggyu asks highly unamused, “I didn’t know our company was that crappy,” he says rolling his eyes. Sungyeol shakes his head.

 

“Well no, there’s more,” Sunggyu raises an eyebrow, “In the paperwork it says he was walking in Seoul and the cops took him for questioning. I was there in the questioning room. I have to say he was quite handsome, but in a scary way you know? Anyway, the questioning was a total failure. He didn’t answer any of the question and plus he bit like two cops, so they sent him the the crazy house.”

 

Sunggyu folds his hands and gives a small laugh, “Well isn’t that a way to end things?” Sungyeol shrugs.

 

“Its was the bosses idea,” Sungyeol says standing up from the chair stretching. “Well theres your mission. I’ll see you later,” Sungyeol yawns walking towards the door.

 

“Yeah! Wait, what’s the whole point of this case?” Sunggyu says waving the file around.

 

Sungyeol stops in his tracks and turns around, “Oh, I almost forgot. He’s out of the crazy house.”

 

“So?”

 

“So, the boss wants you, to personally make sure he’s stable to be in the real world again.”

 

“And?”

 

“And, that means the boss wants you to live with him for a couple of months.”

 

“WHAT?” Sunggyu yells standing up from his desk slamming the document on the desk. Sungyeol flinches hearing the loud thud from the file hitting the wooden table.

 

“Yeah, its not my idea to have a killer in your house okay? Its this new system the boss wants to try!” Sungyeol yells over the olders voice. Sunggyu pants feeling fear grow throughout his body. He didn’t think the mission would be this. He thought it would be a questioning, or a quick investigation, but definitely not this.

 

“So basically I’ll be living with a serial killer?” Sunggyu says bluntly. Sungyeol gives him a smile

 

“Yes,” he plainly answers. Sunggyu whined in fear looking at Sungyeol.

 

“What happened to me being the newbie? I can’t do this. Newbie’s aren’t supposed to do the big boy work,” Sunggyu noted, getting a small laugh from the younger.

 

“Well sorry newbie, like it or not you better make sure your house is baby proof because he’s coming in three days!” Sungyeol sang before closing the door behind him. Sunggyu stood in shock.

 

“three days...” Sunggyu whispered sitting back down. In three days he would meet, Jang Dongwoo. The man that killed innocent citizens and his own parents. Sighing heavily Sunggyu stares at the file. He definitely didn’t sign up for this.