EPIPHANY

Epiphany

A comprehension or perception of reality by means of a sudden intuitive realization: "I experienced an epiphany, a spiritual flash that would change the way I viewed myself"


It was already their 5th anniversary together. Baekhyun was really excited to see her boyfriend, Chanyeol. He was waiting for him to finish his shift on his job as a choreographer. He was fidgeting and hopping while waiting outside of his dance studio. It was cold outside—but he didn’t mind. His warm love is keeping him hot even in the cold weather.

“Today… I’m gonna make him the happiest man.” he mumbled to himself, looking at the gift in his cold hands as he smiled excitedly.

He quickly got up as soon as he spotted the apple of his eye. He was half running to catch up to him but stopped as soon as he got a clearer view of him.

There, in front of him, is his boyfriend, hands clasped into another hands; hands that of a male he most likely didn’t like at all.

 

Wu Yifan

 

…or Kris, his ex bestfriend who loved Chanyeol and tried everything just to get him for himself.

 “So… what are we gonna do tonight?” Kris smiled flirtatiously, clinging to Chanyeol’s arms like he truly belonged there.

What happens next really broke his heart. Chanyeol smirked as he clutched Kris’ hand closer to him. “What’s with the rush? We have all night.”

His knees would’ve given up on him if it wasn’t for the wall that he was leaning on.

What was that?

Was his boyfriend cheating behind his back?

But… why? Did he do something wrong?

Is his love for him not enough?

He was snapped back from reality when his phone suddenly rang.

He hadn’t noticed that he was staying on the same place for such a long time; tears flowing from his cheeks as questions rang in his head.

He looked at the caller ID with emotionless eyes. He was contemplating on whether to turn down the phone or not. He picked the latter.

Wiping his tears harshly, he clicked the ‘answer’ button at the bottom where the blinking name ‘Yeollie~ calling…’

“Hello…” he said as he answered the phone. Trying his hardest to prevent his voice from breaking.

“Finally, you answered… I’ve been calling you for minutes already. I thought something bad happened to you. You got me worried, babe.” The voice on the other line said. He sounded like he’s really sincere to his words, ‘causing Baekhyun to tear up.

He clutched his phone harder to prevent himself from breaking down. He took a deep breath and answered, “I – I was doing… umm… composing—RIGHT! I w – was composing a song. Sorry…” Baekhyun tried to sound cheerful but failed miserably as what came out of his mouth were words of stutter.

“Don’t need to apologize, babe. I understand. I know what you are when you’re too focus on working,” he chuckled. “Anyways… I actually called to umm… tell you something. But I have to say it to you personally. If you’re done with what you’re doing, can you meet me at the café where we first met? It’s really urgent.” He sounded nervous making Baekhyun flinch in his place. Anxiousness is eating him alive as yet another train of negative thoughts passed through his mind.

He hadn’t noticed that his shaking fingers already brushed itself on the cold surface of his cellphone, tapping the ‘Cancel’ button repeatedly as is it was the most hateful thing ever. He had been staring at nothingness to what feels like century already.

“I guess… this is it.” he sighed, tears clouding his vision. He bit his plump lips rather harshly ‘causing it to bleed, but he didn’t mind. The pain in his heart is making him numb. “He’s going to break up with me tonight…” he sobbed.

“He was as pure as a white rose.” he said as tears raced down her beautiful face. “But, those were all an illusion. I was a fool to believe such lies. I was naïve. And this is my toll for being so…”

Once he finished collecting his thoughts, he fixed himself and tried to look presentable enough. When he’s satisfied with himself, he stood up a bit more fast, whilst almost making him fall again because of the nausea of crouching down for too long. While trying to regain composture, his eyes shifted to a certain box that has been lying on the cold floor—long forgotten.

It was supposed to be his gift to his—unfaithful—boyfriend. Now, it was just a piece of junk to him. He was thinking of throwing it away but chose to keep it for a much more better use.

Settling on his car, he drove dangerously fast. He doesn’t care anymore. He was gonna lose the man of his life as soon as he arrived at his destination anyway.

Fortunately, he arrived safe and sound at the café where they were supposed to meet in.

He scanned the tables for any resemblance of the man he had always been with, only to see him with—yet again—Kris. He was smiling victoriously, liked he had won the greatest treasure in the world.

Baekhyun took his time on getting to their table. He walked as slowly as possible; as if his life will end when his pace will get any faster.

He let out the breath that he has been unconsciously holding when he stood in front of the table they were in.

He remembers this particular place. This spot has been the witness of their growing love for each other. And now it will also be the one to see it crumble and break into million tiny pieces.

Chanyeol motioned for him to sit down, helping him with his sit like a gentleman that he is. Baekhyun forced himself to smile at him as a sign of being thankful only for it to show as a fake one. Chanyeol frowned at his reaction but just shrugged it off as Kris gave his hand a slight squeeze.

The table was surrounded by awkward silence. For some reason, none dared to make a single sound.

The cloak of silence was then broken when the waiter got to their table to take their order.

“So… what’s your order, awkward people of the planet earth?” Chen, the waiter, joked. Patting Baekhyun on the back for encouragement. For what it is for… he had no clue.

Chen has been one of Baekhyun’s and Chanyeol’s close friends. He is somehow a brother figure to them. And seeing how he’s comforting him, he had a hunch that the man knew what will happen next.

“I’ll take an Americano and Choco Muffin, please.” Baekhyun mumbled.

Chen raised an eyebrow to him, and so as the rest of them. “Are you sure? As far as I know, you don’t drink coffee.”

Baekhyun smiled bitterly while avoiding each one of their gazes. “I want to get myself adapted to the bitterness. I have a feeling that I will feel that more often from now on.”

Chen threw a worried look on Chanyeol who just shrugged his shoulders. Sighing, he just proceeded on taking the other’s orders and soon scooted away from the—to what he said—awkward people of the planet earth.

Once Chen was away, Baekhyun then lifted his gaze to look at his boyfriend and ex bestfriend with an emotionless stare. “Spill it and get it over with.” with the coldest voice he could muster, he said.

Chanyeol hesitated first. Glancing at Kris for help; only giving him an encouraging smile. Sighing dejectedly, he looked at Baekhyun straight in the eye. “I – I… can’t be your boyfriend anymore.”

Baekhyun flinched. He thought he’s ready for the break up, only to be proven wrong as tears started to swell in the corner of his eyes. He felt his world crumbled beneath his feet. He tried to stop himself from crying only to fail miserably.

Chanyeol tried to scoot over to him to comfort him but he just stood up and held his arms around himself in a defensive manner. “Stop… please. Don’t come any closer. Please… just, don’t.” he tried saying between his sobs.

“But—“No.” Chanyeol tried to reason only for his words to be cut by Baekhyun’s stern voice. “Babe—“Don’t call me by that name. We’re done. You just said so yourself earlier. You can’t be my boyfriend.” he sobbed. “I was actually grateful that you told me this sooner. You must’ve been very excited about this day. Because now that you’re free from me. You can now date Kris without restrictions.”

“Kris—wha – what you talking about? There’s nothing between me and Kris.” Chanyeol is getting closer to him but he just kept on pushing him away.

“DON’T COME ANY CLOSER, YOU LIAR!” he wiped her tear-streaked face harshly. “I trusted you, with everything I have. And yet… yet you… YET YOU CHEATED ON ME! And don’t you dare say it’s not true, mister! I saw you with my own two eyes. I hate you… I hate you very mu—“

A loud sound of slap was then heard a across the whole café. Baekhyun’s words were cut off as Kris’ hands flew to his face. “QUIT IT. I’M NOT GONNA STAND BY HERE AND DO NOTHING WHILE YOU BAD MOUTH ME WITH YOUR PETTY ACCUSATIONS!” Kris shouted at him, voice full of rage.

Baekhyun just scoffed at him, “You’re just saying that because you’re not the one who have lost someone important.”

Feeling his temper losing on him, Kris grabbed the collar of Baekhyun’s shirt and pulled him so he can be face-to-face to the idiotic boy in front of him. “If you just listened to what he has to say… you don’t have to lose ‘someone important’”

Baekhyun rolled his eyes but remained silent as Kris motioned for Chanyeol to explain his side of the story.

Chanyeol walked closer to him, worry etched on his handsome features. “Babe… look at me please.” He pleaded as he inched his hands closer to caress Baekhyun’s face, who only evaded him. “Please, babe.”

“N – No…” his voice broke. Tears are threatening to fall around the corners of his eyes.

Chanyeol released a loud sigh but nonetheless, didn’t give up. He wiped the tears from Baekhyun’s eyes; kissing his tears away.

Baekhyun flinched but didn’t try anything to evade him. He released a whimper when Chanyeol stopped what he is doing, genuinely smiling at him. “There you go. Now that my angel has been looking at me now, I guess I can explain now, right?”

Baekhyun scoffed but nonetheless just listened to what his ‘ex’ has to say.

Chanyeol took a deep breath as he started. “I don’t know why my angel is throwing a hissy fit about me and Kris but, I can just tell him this one truth. I never cheated on you. I never had and I never will. What you saw must’ve been a misunderstanding.”

Baekhyun pouted, eyebrows forming a crease between them. “But I saw you and him earlier. You even said, ‘What’s with the rush? We have all night.’” he said, trying to imitate him.

Chanyeol chuckled at this. “So my angel has been jealous of that.” He gave his hand a soft squeeze before continuing, “Don’t worry. I will never look at any other person except you. I love you very much. I will ‘til eternity.”

“Th – then why’re you – why’re you breaking – breaking up with me?” he sobbed, shoulders moving as he tried to lock the out coming sobs out of his mouth.

Chanyeol raised an eyebrow, “Who told you that I’ll broke up with you?”

“Bu – but you just said—“Hush. I just said that I won’t be your boyfriend anymore. I never say anything about breaking up.” He said in a matter-of-fact kind of tone.

“But then… why?”

Chanyeol then got on his knees as all of the people inside the café edged closer to the couple. Each one of them; holding a banner.

I LOVE YOU FOR ETERNITY RAISED TO NTH POWER.

Baekhyun covered his mouth in shock. He can’t contain the happiness that he was feeling. He also spotted his parents giving him an encouraging look. They looked really happy for their son.

Chanyeol then smiled at him as Chen gave him a guitar and started singing.

(Second Confession by BtoB)

Today is a very important day
It’s the day when I give my second confession to one boy
I am going to find him once again
Will he accept my heart?
I feel good today for some reason

I threw away all my pride for this second confession
though I have so much to say, I’ll keep it short
I will change and improve so from today and every day on
I want to have a great love like Gyon Woo and Jik Nyu

For you, I stay cooped up in my room, practicing my confession
I practice singing so I serenade you
Even if you fall, get up again, don’t worry, have courage
I write an awkward letter and buy a big bear doll

The times we used to love, those dream-like times
I can’t forget any of those times

All day, I only think of you, I stayed up all night again boy
My heart feels frustrated on this sleepless night

How are you? I guess you’re okay
Day by day, I am drenched with your memories so it’s hard
If you will come back some day, there won’t be any tears – my second confession

I want you back baby I swear it’s true
Won’t ever make you jealous, I’ll make them jealous of you
Come back to me, for eternity
And take a listen to my 2nd confession please

You and me, now we’re facing each other from across the street
What to do? It feels like my heart will explode
Someone please send my love through Cupid’s arrow to her, save me
Oh! It’s green light!

Can those times come back?
Will you be able to be with me again?
The restaurant on Garusu Street, breakfast at Nonhyun-dong
I want to taste that alleyway kiss once more

All the hard times are all days I regret the more time passes
I want to turn back all of those days

All day, I only think of you, I stayed up all night again boy
How about you? I want to go back to you

How are you? I guess you’re okay
Day by day, I am drenched with your memories so it’s hard
If you will come back some day, there won’t be any tears – my second confession

I’m not afraid of other people’s eyes – second confession
a serenade for you – second confession

Throwing away my pride to ask you to come back
I’ll be your shoulder strap and you can be my backpack

I want to go back to those times but why don’t you know my heart?
If you will come back some day, there won’t be any tears

How are you? I guess you’re okay
Day by day, I am drenched with your memories so it’s hard
If you will come back some day, there won’t be any tears – my second confession

As he strummed the last note on his guitar, Chanyeol grinned at his angel. “Baekhyun, my angel, my babe, my everything…” He took a very deep breath before proceeding to ask the hardest question ever. “Will you marry me?”

Baekhyun throwed himself to his—now—fiancé, crying tears of joy. “YES! YES I WILL! I LOVE YOU VERY MUCH!!!”

Everyone rejoiced as the couple shared a long yet passionate kiss to show how much they love each other.

Smiling from ear-to-ear as their lips parted from each other. Eyes clouded with love and nothing else.

“I’m sorry for making you cry, Baekkie. I didn’t mean it… really. Chen and Kris told me that they’ll ask Tao to break my bones if my proposal didn’t go as they wanted.” Chanyeol pouted.

“Because the cheesier, the better.” Kai laughed earning a whack in the head by his boyfriend, Kyungsoo.

“And I can’t believe you actually got mad by me.” Kris frowned, “You know I’ll only love Tao and nothing else.” He continued, hugging Tao who only giggled at his boyfriend’s rare cuddling.

Baekhyun gave him an apologetic smile, and the rested his head on Chanyeol’s chest.

“We have the craziest and yet, wonderful friends ever.” Baekhyun whispered.

Chanyeol chuckled, “I know right? But why do I get the feeling that we’re missing something.”

Baekhyun looked up to Chanyeol with a questioning look.

 

Just on cue, the door to the café burst open as a confused looking man looked at everyone, shocked. “Why’re everyone here? What’s up? Did I missed something?”

Everyone just laughed at him and said, “Nothing, Lay. You didn’t miss anything important at all,” in a sarcastic tone.