Final

Support For My Brother

 

Oh Sejin, get your down here right now!” Sehun shouts. I tread down the stairs with a bored exterior, but an excited interior.

Do you know what day it is today? It's April 20, Luhan's birthday. The day my brother Sehun is going to confess to his long-time crush and best friend.

He's been preparing for this for a long time now, even before his own birthday.

Sehun's crush goes way back, all the way back in grade 3. When Sehun was young, he would always get bullied for his lisp. The only person there for him was the new immigrant from China, Luhan. Ever since then, Luhan became his shining knight in armour and his best friend. At first it was a childish puppy love, but slowly it grew into something more valuable. Now that Luhan's in his senior year, it's now or never to get the flame started.

Sehun could only come to me to talk; he says it's too embarassing for Luhan to find out about anything yet. I've met Luhan several times. He's a really nice person, and I know he'll take care of Sehun well.

The biggest problem is the public. Sehun has only told 2 people about this crush, his ex-friend Kai, and I. You're wondering why Kai is his ex-friend. That's because Kai didn't support their relationship like I did. He was homophobic. Kai even went as far as spreading fake rumours about Sehun and Luhan. The entire school except Luhan avoids Sehun like plague now.

Kai doesn't know how much it hurts Sehun to hear those things.

That's why I'm going to do my best as a sister to help Sehun. He needs and deserves my support when he doesn't have anyone else's. If I left him when he told me about his crush, I don't know what would have happened. Even if Luhan leaves, Sehun will still have me. I'm going to do everything I can to help.

“Come help me make the cake!” Sehun's head pokes out from the kitchen door, covered in flour. I stifle a giggle before heading in to offer some assistance.

------

We head over to Luhan's house to set things up. It really does look romantic and cute, with little heart-shaped post-its that lead to a table in the backyard with the cake, rose petals, and Sehun. There are candles placed in a heart formation.  The special part is the cake.  It says "I LOVE YOU" in big letters.

My job was to set up, but now that I'm done I can go home and wait for the good news. Before I could, Sehun speaks up.

“Sejin-ah, you need to stay. I'm scared,” Sehun whimpers and I backhug him.

“Sejin-ah, what do I do?!” Sehun turns around and clutches his hair in nervousness. I comfort him and tell him that it's going to be okay. He looks back at me with tears in his eyes.

“What if it isn't going to be okay? What if this is the end of our friendship?” He breaks down and hides his face in my shoulder.

I don't say anything, I just embrace him.

------

An hour later, Luhan arrives and I hide behind a tree.

Sehun smiles shyly and greets him. “Hi Luhan! H-Happy birthday!” Luhan blushes and mutters a “Thanks.”

“Is this...for me?” Luhan inquires cutely. My brother nods back furiously.

“C-come s-s-sit!” Sehun pulls out a chair with shaky hands and a strained smile on his face. Luhan chuckles and ruffles his hair. “Why are you so nervous? It's just my birthday,” Luhan says with his hand still on Sehun's head.

“Aw! How cute! I love you too,” Luhan gushed after seeing the cake.

Sehun doesn't reply.

They both sit down. The atmosphere grows thicker as every second ticks by. Mentally, I urge Sehun to hurry up.

“Luhan, I have something to tell you,” Sehun fidgets. The elder looks at him with his wide doe eyes. Sehun only meets his gaze for a split second.

“I...I-I'm in love with you,” Sehun whispers, but he knows Luhan heard judging by his reaction of widened eyes and a surprised jolt.

They sit for a few minutes, in awkward silence. “I-I'm sorry, you're probably not into guys. E-Enjoy the cake!” Sehun tears up and stands up to leave. I curse Luhan silently.

Luhan intercepts and grabs Sehun's wrist before he can make a run for it.

Luhan looks into Sehun's eyes and says, “I am into guys. Guys whose names are Oh Sehun.” He cups Sehun's neck and kisses him.

When they let go of each other, they are out of breath. Sehun blushes and asks in a small voice, “Does that mean you love me too?” Luhan chuckles and they kiss again.

“What do you think?”

------

Back at home, Sehun hollers in happiness and jumps around all over the place. I smile and watch as he stops and turns to me seriously.

“Sejin,” he puts his hands on my shoulders and began.

“Thank you so much for being there for me,” he smiles and I smile too.

“I'm your sister, right? You deserve my support no matter what it is,” I hug him.

We share a moment, but a message tone ruined it. Sehun smiles sheepishly and looks down at his phone.

“It's Luhan! He's taking me out on a date tomorrow!” Sehun squeals. He runs upstairs to his room, fanboying all the way.

I laugh and give myself a pat on the back.

Cheers for being a good sister!