You are not here

You are not here

The moonlight shines on his perfect figure, he puts his cap on and slightly combs his fringe to the right before he proceeds to his destination. Nichkhun walks into the alley out of instinct. The end of the alley is a wide street which decorated with bushes and triangular-shaped tree. There is also array of houses alongside the road. The streetlamps weakly illuminate the street, bright enough for the number on the doorplate to be seen. It is now 12.00 midnight in the city of Busan, Nichkhun settles his luggage at the roadside and starts to observe the path to his own house. He scratches his head in confusion and tries to seek for any familiar object that he could recognize. ‘It should be there.’ He murmurs. He then picks his luggage up and staggers into the house with red roof. He stands in front of the wooden door and his eyes begin to hover around his surrounding. The light through the window of the room on the second floor catches the boy's attention, his heart skipped a beat and a thousand of questions strike into his mind. Why is the light in Wooyoung's room ?

 

Nichkhun fumbles with the key and tries to sneak into his house as silent as possible. He walks in small pace and quietly approaches the staircase near the entrance of the house. He notices that the echo of footsteps is getting nearer and nearer, he takes a deep breath and prevents himself from making any noise. The light suddenly and Nichkhun hears a familiar voice. He turns his head to the source of sound and he sees a boy eyeing him with surprise in his eyes. 'Khun hyung?' The latter questions. Nichkhun stuns for a brief moment before he could respond. 'Yahh... Junho ah~ You frighten me.' He rubs his chest and sighs in relief. 'I thought it was thief! Why are you here?' He tilts his head and asks. 'Hyung, you were at Thailand for such a long period, so I come here to clean yours and Wooyoungie's room.' He reasons. 'You should drop me a message before you relocate yourself at Busan hyung, so I could greet you at the airport...' says Junho while pouting his cheeks. Nichkhun steps forward and gives Junho a warm hug, he pats Junho's head lightly and his gesture clearly shows that he misses the little boy so much. They settles down at the sofa and talks a lot about the past and the memories that they shared together.

 

Two hours have passed. Nichkhun walks to his room after he has sent Junho back to his home. He passes Wooyoung's bedroom and the light that shines through the crevice of the door oddly mesmerize him. He unlocks the door and intrudes his lover's bedroom. No one is there. Nichkhun slumps on Wooyoung's bed, he covers his face with with Wooyoung's pillow and sniff the familiar scent of the younger boy. He embraces the pillow hard and his eyes become teary. 'Young...' He whimpers weakly. I will be alright, Nichkhun says to himself. Yes he will, he knows this day would come anyway. Nichkhun had prepared for the worse before he decided to hold his hands, but the pain does not dissipate for this reason, the fact is, he was gone. Wooyoung was born with a weak heart, con heart defect, they say. He had undergone several treatment, both surgery and medication, the doctor says it was a miracle for him to have made this far, he was considered as a lucky case.

 

Nichkhun sits at the edge of the bed and he wipes his tear off. He then walks around the room where the decoration is still remained the same. The desk is dustless, Junho must have cleaned here often. The room is full with pictures, because Wooyoung was a passionate photographer that like to capture every sweet moment of them. His camera left untouched on the table, surrounded by frames with pictures of Nichkhun and Wooyoung. Each picture is marked with date and a comment by the boy, it is something that Nichkhun never pay attention to. He extends his arm and reach for the picture with date of April 30, 2013, where Nichkhun is feeding Wooyoung with vanilla ice cream cake in the picture, while Junho watches his hyungs happily with his party hat on his head. 'It is the best birthday in my life, the vanilla cake that Khun hyung bought for me was really delicious! I wish I can celebrate another birthday like this next year! Kekke.' Wooyoung remarks with black ink below the picture. But how can a simple phrase like this pierces Nichkhun's heart so painfully? Is it too lustful to wish for a birthday celebration on the next year? It is so unfair, he is still so young, but he could not wait for the next birthday surprise that Nichkhun prepared for him.

 

Nichkhun adverts his vision forward. There is an empty frame strangely located beside the camera, there is no picture on it, instead it is lines of message written by Wooyoung:

 

To Khunnie <3 :

 

I am most probably not beside you when you see this message. Khunnie, I have kept this secret in my mind and I never had the chance to tell you. Do you know, I thought I was dreaming when you confessed your love to me, I was touched but at the same time I felt doubtful because how can a person with weak heart like me enjoy the love from an angel like you? But you treat me with care and you cure my worry and doubt with patience. You bring me to the hospital for treatment, and you cook delicious foods for me everyday, so eventually I was moved by you. But Khunnie ah... I always feel sorry for you because I could not give you anything in return. If I could choose my life one more time, I will not love you anymore, because you deserve someone better and not a burden like me. The days that we spent were the best part of my life, thank you Khunnie, for everything that you have gave to me.

 

P/S: Please take care Junho for me, you know my brother is always like a kid though. :P

 

From your Wooyoungie,

with love and thankfulness.

 

Nichkhun bends down and hugs the last message from his lover tightly, his tears drip on to floor and the sound of his sob echoes in the silent room. No, he will not be alright.