II

instability
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

         Reaching the school's office, Harry impatiently tapped the wooden stand as his eyes swept part of the campus, until one of the bored and very lazy ladies inside noticed his presence. She didn't bother to get up from her place, and only asked what he wanted.

        

         "The timetable for the third year of English Literature, please." His attention quickly diverted to the small crowd that was passing by him, trying to find her somewhere in between.

         "Your number?"

         He turned to her, who was now getting up and walking to him, only a thin glass window separating them. "Huh?"

         "Your student code, boy!"

         He blinked. "I don't have one," he said as he shook his head.

         The lady sighed, as if already expecting this — no student comes to the school office to ask for a timetable except he doesn't belong to this school, which seemed to be the case. "I can only give that information to our students, I'm sorry." She slowly started to make her way back to her chair, but Harry tried to stop her. "It's no use, boy, you're not the first one. School's policy, now get out."

 

         And let herself fall on the chair with a loud noise.

         Harry quickened his tapping before leaving the office, frustrated. He ran a hand through his disheveled brown hair and cursed for a few minutes in his head, as he stomped his way out of the school that, as the lady from the school office hinted, was not his.

 

         Just to fulfill his desire from the day before, he skipped his own classes and visited the school she told them, during high school days, she was going to, at some acceptable hours in the morning, expecting to see her but completely failing at that.

 

         Or so he thought.

 

 

         As he got to the bus stop, heavily panting, he loudly cursed at the bus that didn't wait for him and that was now long gone. That day was definitely not a good day, he shouldn't have left home in the first place, if he knew he was going to face so many disappointments in such a small span.

         He looked for his bus' timetable, sighing in relief when he got to know he only had to wait five minutes for another one to come. He sat down at the empty bench, stretched his legs, and only then, he noticed her.

 

 

         She was sitting across the street, right in front of him, in a bus stop. Her eyes were somewhere dancing along the lines of a book she was holding on her lap, her head slightly bobbing to the song she was listening to, through her earphones, her thumb playing with the last pages of the book.

         Harry had to blink a few times to make sure his eyes weren't deceiving him, not only for her presence, but for the way she was... dressing: clothes quite refreshing, elegant to some point, completely different to what she used to dress before, and to what his memories thought she dressed like. She had a floral dress on, a brown cardigan covering her arms and some boots — the boots, as he looked closer, the boots he hated, but that even after knowing it, she insisted on taking to school. Harry didn't think twice, and ran to the closest crosswalk, his eyes never leaving her.

        

         She didn't notice him, she was too focused in the book she was reading to even care for the bus she had to catch to get home. She was so immersed in it that she jumped, startled, when her phone started to vibrate. Grabbing the bookmark and placing it on the book, she picked the call up.

        

         "Hey"

         Harry stopped on his tracks as he saw her taking her mobile phone to her ear, her eyes locked ahead of her, completely ignoring Harry, who was now reaching her bus stop. He stood there, waiting for her call to end.

    

Please log in to read the full chapter