A Fisherman's story

A Fisherman's Story

It was a windy night. The fishnets were still spread over the wide sea. As the captain looked at the wild ocean he sighed and took the microphone to talk to his crew. "A storm is approaching, We must safe the catch, Get all the nets back as quick as possible, We don't have much time!" He said. The crew quickly started to work on it. So did Soohyun. He walked over to the closest net. As he grabbed the rope he was quite surprised. "Woa.. This is a heavy one! Nice catch!" He said happy. "Don't waste it then, This fishing work is a big bussiness! If we lose the catch, we won't have any money to feed our families.. don't screw it up like last time!" One of the other crew members yelled at Soohyun from his spot. "I got it, i got it!" Soohyun yelled back as he strained his muscles and slowly got the net back to the boat. "Make sure you don't rip the net, Rookie!" The captain said as he saw Soohyun struggle a bit. Soohyun quickly showed his thumb to the captain as he continued retrieving the net. As the net got up he proudly looked at his catch, He looked at all the fish and suddenly noticed two big eyes staring scared at him. His eyes widened as he saw you. "i-i-i-i is that.. a Mermaid?!" He yelled quite surprised. You struggled, trying to get out the net as fast as you could, however there was no way out. The other crew members all looked at Soohyun, They already got their nets in the boat and all their eyes were turned to Soohyun. The captain ran out of his cabinet to the deck as he heard Soohyun yell. He walked towards the net as Soohyun slowly pulled it back in the boat and putted it on the ground. You were still trying to get out. "This gotta be a joke.." The captain said as he slowly approached you. He reached his hand out to you. You showed your fangs in order to scare him off. The captain quickly pulled his hand back. "Don't free her! We've just caught the jackpot, guys!" The captain yelled as he turned to Soohyun. "You caught it, So i want you take keep an eye on her, Put her in one of the empty fish containers and bring her to your room." The captain said to him, "Aye captain!" Soohyun said as he looked at you. He lifted the net carefully, holding it away from him. He did as the captain said.

"Why did you let him bring her to his room?" one of the crew members asked. "Someone has to keep an eye on the mermaid, She's worth a lot of money! It's like finding a myth.. Beside that, If she attacks someone, Let it be him.. he ain't worth much to this ship anyways." the captain said clod, The others just agreed and continue working. 

Soohyun took you to his room. He looked at you and at the fish container. ".. how am i gonna do this without hurting myself.." He said a bit soft. You just looked at him with big eyes. He looked at you. "So mermaids do exist.. And i caught one.. a pretty one it is!" Soohyun laughed a bit, ".. You must be scared and feel dry.. I can help you.. but only if you don't hurt me.. Do you get it?" He looked you in your eyes. He slowly reached his hand for you like the captain did, However, This time you didn't move at all. Soohyuns hand slowly touched your cheek. You startled a bit, However he softly your cheek. You looked at him, with a sad expression. He slowly came closer as he opened the fishnet. He slowly tried to lift you, You felt his fear, So you didn't moved. He slowly lifted you in the fish container, Which was filled with water. He smiled as he saw you actually enjoying the water a bit. You saw him looking at you and you placed your arms on the edge, looking at him. "Are you hungry?" He asked. You nodded. "What do mermaids eat?" He wondered.. "Fish.." You said. He looked at you, "You can talk?" He looked quite surprised. You nodded, "We eat fish.. " You said again. Soohyun smiled, "I'll be right back, I'll go get some fish for you!" He said as he stood up and ran to the deck. He opened one of the containers and got some fish. He quickly rushed back. You were still sitting the same in the small container. He threw the fish in your container, making the fish swim around. You caught one and took a bite. He looked at you as you ate. You slowly offered a fish. "Ah, No need. I usually don't eat fish like that.." He smiled awkwardly. You smiled back and continued eating. "What's your name?" Soohyun asked. ".. It's Oceane Melody.." You said soft. "What an enchanting name.. Mine is Soohyun, Shin Soohyun. But you can call me Soohyun.." He smiled. You smiled back.  

The captain talked through the mic again, "We're heading back to the shore! It's gonna be a heavy ride but we'll make it!" As you heard him talking you hid under the water. "Don't be afraid, he's talking through the intercom." Soohyun smiled. "Do you know what they are gonna do with me?" You asked slowly. Soohyun shook his head, "i've just started working at this ship like a week ago.. We fish and sell fish.. I don't know what they wanna do with you.." He said. You looked down. "Don't worry, They might look mean but i'm sure they won't hurt you." Soohyun smiled. As the waves attacked the boat, it started to swing. The container was slightly too big, Making you swing too, Hitting the left wall to the right wall of the container. Soohyun almost fell but grabbed to container. "Are you okay?" He asked as you tried to grab ahold of something, However your hand kept slipping away. "I got an idea.." Soohyun said as he putted his shirt off. He quickly took your shoulders and sat down behind you. His legs were along side your body, Making you lie stable in the fish container. His hands were along your belly, like a seat belt. "Relax.." He said as he felt your body getting tenser. You did as he said. Soohyun smiled and closed his eyes. So did you, and the two of you fell asleep while the stormy weather and the swinging ship continued their journeys. 

"We're soon arriving!" The captain yelled through the intercom. Soohyun woke up from the sound. He looked around quite dazed. He looked at you, who was still sleeping against him. He smiled softly. The captain entered the room, As he saw you and Soohyun lying together in the container he was quite surprised. "What are you doing?" The captain asked confused. "Ah.. Yesterday, with the wild waves, she kept on swinging and hurted herself, so to keep her stable i've hold her." Soohyun explained. You woke up from the noise. As you saw the captain you immediatly shook up. The captain came closer, slowly. You showed your fangs once again. "Don't worry, Oceane, It's okay." Soohyun tried, But the closer he came the more threatened you felt. The captain grabbed your hair. You started to attack him. "Don't" Soohyun said as he protected the captain, Making you bite his arm. When you noticed you startled and let go immediatly. The captain smirked at you as Soohyun didn't look. You noticed it, but focussed on Soohyun. "Are you okay?" You asked carefully. His arm was bleeding. "Ah, Don't worry about it." He forced a smile. You looked at the wound. "Let me help you." You said as you started singing. Your voice was nice and soothing. Soohyun felt like he became totally peacefull. When you finished the song you kissed the wound on his arm, And so the wound magically disappeared. Soohyun looked at his arm full of surprise. "How.. what.." He looked at you. You smiled at him. The captain looked at you as well. "... This is more than just money... We're gonna get rich!" He yelled. You looked at him. "You're gonna try to sell her?!" Soohyun said a bit upset. "We'll soon be rich, kid! You'll understand why i do this!" The captain walked out and Locked the door from outside. Soohyun stood up and ran to the door, trying to open it. His clothes were soaked. "It's locked.." he said. He turned to you. You looked worried. "Don't worry, Oceane! i'm not gonna let them sell you!" Soohyun said as he walked towards you. You looked at him. He sat down on the fish container. "I know. Okay, This is the plan. but we have to wait till they get you on shore..." He turned around and looked at you, "Will you trust me with that?" You softly nodded, "You're the only one who can possibly safe me.. " He smiled at you, "You can count on me!" 

The captain opened the door. "Soohyun.. This is your last choice, Are you on our side or on her side." He said. "You said she would get us rich, right? ... So.. that means we share the money.." The captain nodded as Soohyun said so. "We're with 5 persons on the boat so everyone would get 20% of the loot." The captain smirked. "Count me in!" Soohyun smirked back. You just looked at them, slightly worried. "Let's get her on the shore then." The captain said. Soohyun nodded and took a cover of the fishing container. He putted it over the container where you were lying in. Before he closed it he winked to you. You felt they lifted you and took you to the shore. As soon as you were on the docks, you heard soohyun saying; "Ah! My mobile fell on the boat, Could you get it for me?" The captain ran back to the boat, Soohyun threw the fish container in the water, Freeing you. You swum a bit further and got your head above the water, looking at Soohyun. "Go!" Soohyun said as the other crew members surrounded him. "Jump in the water!" You yelled back. "Ah, Are you sure you wanna do that?" The captain suddenly said, "Don't you know the myths? If they got you, they will bring you to their friends and families and you'll be eaten!"  Soohyun looked at you, a little bit doubting. "I trusted you! now trust me.." You said. He nodded and jumped into the water. You quickly took his hand. "Hold your breath and pinch my hand if you're out of breath" You said. The other crew members jumped into a speedboat, Starting it. Soohyun did as you said. You dived a littlebit deeper, not wanting him to drown, and started swimming. While swimming you were searching in your concealed pocket. It was concealed as a Seastar on your bikini top. You got a leaf out of it. You swum back to the air, for Soohyun. Soohyun breathed deep. The speedboat was pretty close already. "Here, Take this!" You said as you gave him the special leaf. He ate it. "Congrats! You can now breath and talk underwater!" You said as you smiled, took his hand and dived down into the water. At first he shook and hold his breath. He was afraid he would die. Finally he breathed without air. He was surprised. You just smiled at him. You went deep in the water. Finally you let him go and swum around him. He laughed as he tried to follow you. The two of you played shortly around. Soohyun and you laughed, However the fish nets were being dropped above you. You noticed and grabbed Soohyun's arm, pulling him away. "We have to fight them.." Soohyun said to you. You nodded. You looked around as you saw a Whiptail stingray. As you took a rock and attacked it. As you skillfully killed it you pulled the tail off and swum back to Soohyun. "Be careful! this is a poisoned sting.. I'll grab their attention, acting like i'm stuck in one of those nets while you cut the other ones, okay?" You cutted one net as you rolled yourself in it, You gave the sting to Soohyun. "Let's do it!" You smiled at him. Before you swum away Soohyun grabbed your hand. "Wait... Just in case.." He kissed you. It startled you a bit but you closed your eyes. He stopped and smiled. "So the myths aren't true?" He asked. You shook you head, smiling and swum up. You started the act. 

"On the left! You idiots! There she is!!" The captain yelled angry. They all looked at you. One of them tried to get the net back. "It's not attached anymore!" "Take the standby boat!" The captain yelled as one of them prepared the boat. Two of the crew members paddled towards you. Soohyun was cutting all of them. He was now busy with the last one. The pirates almost reached you as he swum back to you. He came up right infront of you. "Is this boat sting protected?" Soohyun asked. "Why?" one of them asked. Soohyun took the sting and poked the boat, making it leak it's air. As the two tried to get back to the boat as fast as possible, Soohyun lifted the net from you. "Hey! Captain! I would check your nets more often if i was you!!" Soohyun yelled as the captain quickly got the nets back, They were all ripped apart. "I WILL GET MY REVENGE ON YOU, SHIN SOOHYUN!" He yelled as his head turned red from anger. You looked at Soohyun, Smiling. He smiled back, "Say.. Oceane.. I guess.. this is our farewell? You have a family to get back to, right?" His smile slowly faded away. You looked at him a bit sad, ".. I don't wanna go back.. Can't we stay together?" You asked soft. "Well.. You're a mermaid and i'm a human.. It's impossible.. i think." Soohyun looked at you. "It's not.. It's not impossible if we believe in it! I don't wanna leave you!" You said frowning. He layed his hand on your cheek. "I want it as much as you want. however, you belong in the water, i belong on the solid ground.. " he said again. You started crying. As the tears fell they turned into crystals. Soohyun caught one and looked at it, "Don't cry... please." He said soft as he hugged you. "If it means staying with you, i don't wanna be a mermaid anymore!" You said as you kept crying. Suddenly your crystal tears started glowing. You looked at them. Not long after they stopped glowing and sunk to the bottom of the sea. "W-what was that?" Soohyun asked. You shrugged, "It never happened before.." "Let's get back to the shore.. We might not stay together but we can visit each other every once in a while.." Soohyun said to cheer you up. The two of you swum back. At the docks soohyun used the stairs to get up. He looked at you. "Let me sit next to you.." You said as you reached your hands out for him. He took them and lifted you on the docks. He sat down next to you.  You dropped against him. "... Soohyun.. I love you." You said. Suddenly your tail started glowing. You were surprised, So was Soohyun. Your tail slowly turned into two legs. "W-what?" You said. "So that myth is true!" Soohyun said. "What myth?" You asked. "I've heard that the tears of a mermaid could grand wishes..." He said to you. "B-but... how.. how do i swim now?! and how do i walk?!" You asked. "Maybe.." Soohyun said as he pushed you into the water. Your legs started glowing again. You shook as they turned into your tail once again. You smiled. "I-it changes.." You said. You looked at Soohyun. "... now we can stay together!" Soohyun said happy as he lifted you back on the docks. He helped you stand up, however you weren't that stable yet. He lifted you and brought you to his house. 

It's been 2 weeks since you and Soohyun met. You've mastered your legs. The two of you had a lot of fun the last weeks, You went regulary back to the ocean and you've been learning about the human world. You went to shop groceries, picknicked, barbequed and much more. Soohyun came downstairs. "Oceane.. Let's go for a walk at the beach!" he smiled as he looked at you. You wore a cute deepblue dress. The two of you took off on Soohyun's bicycle.

As you reached the beach you took a deep breath. "It feels so good!" You said happy. Soohyun smiled, as the two of you started to walk. After a while Soohyun suddenly stopped. "Neh.. Oceane.. I never asked you properly.." He said with a serious face. You looked at him, "What's wrong?" "Are you happy this way?" He asked you. You nodded, "I'm with my two biggest loves.. the ocean, and you.." You said while staring into the sea. ".. Then... Do you wanna be my girlfriend?" Soohyun asked. You looked at him. "Girlfriend.. it's like.. a partner right?" You asked. He nodded. "Then.. my answer is.. Ofcourse i would!!" You said smiling as your eyes sparked. He started to smile happily, grabbed your hand and started running. You ran along. "Yah! Soohyunah!! i can't run that fast yet!!" You yelled while laughing. He laughed too and suddenly stopped, making you fall. He caught you and looked into your eyes. ".. I love you, Oceane.." He said. You smiled, "i love you too, Soohyun." The two of you kissed. 

And that's how your love story started.