i/i

Red Riding Hood's First Love

"And a whisper will be heard, in the place where the ruined house once stood."

-Yehuda Amichai; The Place Where We are Right




In a village far far away, there lived a boy with a red cape tied around his neck. This is his favorite possession, his mother's final gift-- a mere crimson fabric. He believes it could protect and strengthen him. His name is Do Kyungsoo. But villagers, understanding relatives, teasing friends--people who are extremely fond of him--call him Red Riding Hood, for he is rarely seen without his beloved cape, and for his height (or lack of, thereof).



Whispering trees follow the path of the urging breeze. Delighted and awestruck by nature's simple beauty, Kyungsoo smiles to himself. There is a basketfull of tomatoes and sunflowers in his hand, fallen leaves trapped in his hair. Saturdays are for gathering fruits, vegetables he can find in the forest that he can carry home.


Having no one but his grandmother for company, Kyungsoo has learnt the importance of family and tales of shapeshifting creatures, monsters that wriggle their way between oak trees in search of a victim. They don't worry him. To see is to believe, after all.
And I have a guardian, Kyungsoo thinks. Caressing the sunflowers with his index finger, Kyungsoo is reminded of sunsets and the surprises they bring. Every dusk, without fail, a sunflower would be waiting for him just underneath the large acacia tree that served as the entrance to the forest. And every dusk, without fail, Kyungsoo would pick them up with a smile, his lips b with unspoken thank yous.


Today, skies are gray and unfriendly. Kyungsoo is running past fragile twigs, gentle drizzle on his face, to reach the old acacia tree. Once there, he exhales a sigh of pure relief. Eager fingers take the lone flower on the ground.


Swimming in an ocean of blues and excitement, Red Riding Hood fails to notice the pair of dark eyes observing him from the trees' branches.

 

•   •   •   •



According to stories crafted by humans, wolves like Jongin are heartless and bloodthirsty, senseless and greedy. It is not true. Some of them, like Jongin can morph into something resembling a hairy human when they feel like it. Greedy, foul and violent; these characteristics crumble like burnt leaves when Kyungsoo is present.


Heart. He heard humans talk about hearts, about its potential for a powerful emotion called love. Never, in Jongin's thousand years of existence, has he ever thought of being capable of loving someone. The wind blows. Jongin's sharp nose tingles with the poignant scent of human blood, the unique aroma Kyungsoo emanates: of lilies and the food humans call bread.


Kyungsoo is leaving, clutching the flower that took Jongin two hours to obtain.


From above the tree, Jongin smiles to the Kyungsoo now and to the Kyungsoo of nine years ago. He does not have to shut his eyes or think too much to recall the same wide eyes and warm smell that had belonged to a younger Kyungsoo, one that wore tattered clothes and roamed the forest.


Back then, people were much more vicious and feared every creature they deemed dangerous. One bleak night--of blazing torches and rusted axes, bared teeth and angry mobs fueled by hate--is what it took for Jongin to lose his pack for good. His parents had been killed by a hunter called Mr. Do--Kyungsoo's father.


"Those devils! Don't let those wolves escape!" Kyungsoo's father yelled, his presence filled with authority.


Jongin was in the protection of the shadows, in his natural wolf form, when young Kyungsoo saw him. In the midst of chaos, when every little thing Jongin held dear was burned, Kyungsoo's face was comfort and peace. Plump lips, eyes that screamed innocence. Kyungsoo could have tugged his father's shirt and revealed Jongin's hiding place. He could have been an instrument to Jongin's death, but he chose not to be.


What young Kyungsoo did then touched Jongin to the point of vowing to look out for the man for years. Kyungsoo smiled at Jongin and pressed a finger over his lips. Then, he waved before Jongin turned to run away.


Two years later, observing humans from the tall trees, Jongin learned that the action was supposed to signify keeping quiet, keeping something a secret while the wave was one for hellos and farewells.


Wolves do not age; the Jongin then is still the Jongin now.


From the branches, Jongin waves goodbye to Kyungsoo's retreating figure.


 

•   •   •   •



"There's a rumor going around the marketplace." Kyungsoo's grandmother starts, her fragile figure bathed in the lamp's golden glow. Kyungsoo thinks she's a day away from fading. A breathing mist. "Do you know Junmyeon, the butcher's son?"


"Yes, grandma. I have seen him around before. He hunts for meat, if I remember correctly."


"He died in the forest. Other villagers are worried about what killed him. The butcher says the bites and wounds are something no human could possibly do. That poor kid. That poor, poor kid." She shakes her head and Kyungsoo joins the moment of silence for what was lost. In a tiny village such as theirs, everyone knows everyone. At one point or another, strangers are acquainted, bonds formed.


Then, his grandmother stares at Kyungsoo and smiles a slow smile. "Why talk about  tragedies in an evening as calm as this? Your nineteenth birthday is in a few days. Is there anything you want?"


"Just for you to be happy, grandma. I am content with what I have right now."


Kyungsoo has always been thoughtful, always placed his needs seven steps behind others. His selflessness is a trait a lot of people admired, while some simply takes advantage of it. Ten years after his parents' death, his loving grandmother had provided everything Kyungsoo needed. And for that, he is eternally grateful.


"It should be about you." She continues. "What do you want?"


Kyungsoo then thinks of sunflowers and sunsets, of his unseen guardian. "No-nothing."


 

•   •   •   •



Once a year, humans celebrate their day of birth. Today is Kyungsoo's day of birth, the marking of another year he has spent alive. When trees begin undressing themselves, when leaves are plucked off branches by cold gusts of wind, Jongin knows Kyungsoo's special day is approaching. Every year, on this day, he leaves a stack of sunflowers; the number corresponding to how old Kyungsoo is.


As usual, Jongin is not in his wolf form. He is swinging both legs from the branches. Below him, oranges are gathered by Kyungsoo's hands. He is singing something. He is always singing when he's picking fruits. Perhaps, Jongin assumes, it's because humans do not fully understand the beauty of silence.


"Let go of all your doubts and accept fate." Kyungsoo sings.


Jongin does not mind, though. Kyungsoo's voice is soothing to Jongin. Not Jongin Jongin, but to the Jongin who longs to be a part of a pack again, to the Jongin who collected and delivered flowers to his savior, to the Jongin who might have been humane if given the chance. Something in Jongin ripped open; bursting like someone who held his breath underwater for too long. Jongin resurfaces by clutching the nineteen sunflowers on his hand and jumping off the tree, startling birds and causing Kyungsoo to gasp.


After ten years worth of staring at Red Riding Hood from atop trees, Jongin the Wolf and Red Riding Hood finally see eye-to-eye.


Surrounded by looming trees, soft sunlight embracing their backs, Kyungsoo slowly walks away from the ragged, dirty and half- stranger. Jongin quickly grabs Kyungsoo's wrist and lifts the flowers on his other hand. It's warm, so so so warm where he's touching Kyungsoo.


And then, and then he does something he never thought he could do. Jongin the Wolf speaks. "S-sta.. Sta-yy. Stay."


Syllables are lodged by inexperience. Jongin's throat feels like it's knotted, words are unwelcomed and new. Since howling is the main, solitary purpose of his voice, Jongin struggles for the sake of keeping Kyungsoo just like this. He shoves the sunflowers to his chest. "Ai-- I... Fr- Frie-- I. Frien--ddd. I friend."


His effort is rewarded with a gum-showing grin, the relaxing of Kyungsoo's shoulders. Up close, Kyungsoo's scent is almost dizzying, addicting. His savior looks kinder now, more mature and strong.


"Okay. I Kyungsoo. I friend, too." Words are lengthened for easy understanding. Kyungsoo takes the sunflowers The Boy offers. His insides are churning with feelings he has no name for. His heart an amalgamation of content and ecstatic, thrilled and nervous. His guardian is taller than what he envisioned him to be, with longer hair and an almost inhumane aura around him.


Red Riding Hood stands on tiptoes to brush lengthy strands of dark brown hair away from his guardian's eyes.


His guardian's eyes are dazzling blues--blue like how the ocean is blue underneath summer skies.


He is looking at him. "Jo-Jongg.. eeen.. I-aaym.. I'm Jonggg..een. Jonggin. Jongin."


 

•   •   •   •




Jongin, the boy who emerged from the acacia tree, is a sentence mumbled underneath heavy blankets. Jongin is a thought drowned in between sipped cups of tea. He is an averted stare. Jongin is a secret Kyungsoo keeps to himself.


Come sunset and Kyungsoo is sprinting towards the old acacia tree, his red cape flapping behind him. Days used to be painted predictable and normal. Hours stretched into quiet nights. Mornings jumped to afternoons. But now, time expands on itself. Now, time freezes when Jongin speaks, when he looks at Kyungsoo through his curtain of long, messy hair.


The sand grains of Kyungsoo's hourglass slithers down slowly, as if it too, wants to witness how Red Riding Hood falls into a pit of what he thinks is love.


Days easily skipped to months. Jongin rarely stutters, his grammar still horrible. Kyungsoo tells him everything he has learned so far; sometimes, the seas are jealous of the sky's beauty, so the oceans copy the color of the heavens. Apples are good for your health. Sunflowers are now my favorite flowers. I fall in love easily. Lately, the villagers are worried about a beast roaming the forest. You should be careful and listen to me. My favorite color? Hmm, that would be the color of your eyes. They are very nice.


As rain visits them, accompanied by a party of angry clouds and thunder, Jongin rushes them underneath big trees. Hands are holding onto the edges of Kyungsoo's cape, draped over them as to not get soaked. Sometimes, Kyungsoo's will wavers and he leans closer to Jongin. For warmth and selfish reasons.


"Long rain. Long, long rain." Jongin mumbles, his long hair dampened and stuck to his temples. Droplets are sliding down his jaw, his throat and collarbones. The sad fact that Jongin does not like shirts tortures Red Riding Hood.


With the loud claps of thunder. With the whole world dimmed. With trembling fingers maintaining the cape over their heads. With a heart made out of butterfly wings, Red Riding Hood kisses Jongin the Wolf.


Jongin the Wolf kisses Red Riding Hood back, with all he has left to give.


"Ouch." Kyungsoo pulls back and his lower lip. He tastes blood where Jongin accidentally bit him. Jongin stares at the crimson liquid on Kyungsoo's lip, his natural instincts threatening   to overtake him. Jongin the Wolf inhales the scent of wet earth to prevent himself from living in a universe without Kyungsoo in it.


"So-sorry."


"It is okay."

 

•   •   •   •



Midnights are for reverie, stargazing and conversations about everything and nothing at all. Red Riding Hood and Jongin the Wolf are lying side by side. Evening breathes into their necks; owls are hooting in the darkness, grass grazes against their heads. Since Kyungsoo realized that Jongin thinks too much but doesn't speak enough, he fills the silence by voicing out his daydreams. Hoping that one day, Jongin will learn how to do the same.


"The moon looks so delicious. If I could just grab it and shove it into my mouth, it would take months to melt."


Jongin stares at him, thick eyebrows raised in question. "B-but. . Moooon.. No... Foo-Food."


Red Riding Hood huffs. "Alright, I shall simply admire it. Awoooooo. Jongin, try this. Face the moon and awoooo."


Jongin the Wolf laughs for the first time. Throaty and full and sincere. It sounds like loud music, sounds like heavy, creaking doors. It sounds a little bit like the home Kyungsoo once lived in. Kyungsoo's howling was more of a squeak; a mouse trying to act tough. Jongin clears his throat and howls like how he usually would.


Red Riding Hood claps. "You are good. Have you ever thought of being a wolf?"


The Wolf simply smiles and ruffles Kyungsoo's hair.



 

•   •   •   •






A calm afternoon cradling yellow leaves and departing birds serves as the background of a tragic scene. One that began the second Red Riding Hood arrived in the forest. He is a little earlier today, early and curious. While walking around, he found Jongin behind thick tree trunks. Kyungsoo approaches him, just to watch the Jongin he knew (and loved, a little) turn into a wolf.


Curled fingers spurted fur and claws. Paws. Arms became forelegs, every inch of Jongin's skin is covered with dirty white fur. Just as Jongin morphs into a wolf, puzzle pieces click in Kyungsoo's head. The sound of them draining color off his face. The reason for his blue eyes, his queer attitude. How he seems to live in the forest. Why villagers are disappearing rapidly. His lengthy hair and sharp teeth. The look he sometimes gives Kyungsoo, as if he has known him before the present.


Red Riding Hood gasps, drawing the attention of Jongin the Wolf.


Kyungsoo runs away, blue eyes haunting every step he takes.



 

•   •   •  •



In his wolf form, Jongin is unable to curb his desires, to stop himself when he has to stop. This is when love comes to him; when he chases after Kyungsoo for the purpose of protecting him instead of having him for desert, for his safety instead of his blood and flesh. What Kyungsoo doesn't know and what Jongin has no time to explain, is that there is another beast much stronger than he is,  lurking behind the shadows.


Kyungsoo's infallible yells shook the trees. Creatures are disturbed.


Jongin the Wolf runs west, towards Kyungsoo and his captor. This forest is Jongin's forte. He twists and turns, sprints past branches until he catches sight of the giant rabbit with bright red eyes and a unicorn's horn on his forehead.


Yixing; the terror of the village, the reason why people lock their doors and never let their children stay outside after the sun's disappearance.


Red Riding Hood is shaking, his hands are gripping the edges of his cape. It is completely absurd how, in this light and situation, Jongin the Wolf could still register the softness of Kyungsoo's face, love the eyes he'll never grow tired of looking at. In a world of changing seasons and shapeshifting moments, Kyungsoo was his fixed point; the only thing he trusted to make sense when everything else failed to be coherent.


Jongin the Wolf lunges forward, aiming for Yixing the Rabbit's back.

 

•   •   •   •




Red Riding Hood is shivering in anticipation.


The beast is almost nine times larger and stronger than Jongin. Kyungsoo involuntarily winces with every bite, each attack that would leave scars in Jongin's body. The air is charged with anticipation and fear, all the words Kyungsoo should have said are caught between leaves and branches, the spaces separating him from Jongin.


The humongous beast corners Jongin. Kyungsoo looks around before throwing a tomato to the beast's eye. As expected, the rabbit turned to him, leaving him unaware of Jongin's bite. Ripping, clawing, drinking blood. Kyungsoo sees Jongin for what he is. The beast goes down with a deafening thud, Jongin ensuring that Yixing is unable to stand up again.


Jongin runs to Kyungsoo, features shifting softer. Fur to skin, fangs to normal teeth. Claws to fingers that tangle themselves into Kyungsoo's hand. Blood stains Jongin's lips and chest. The Red Riding Hood sees Jongin the Wolf for what he is, and he decides he still likes it, him.


"I.. Fri-Friend. I friend." Jongin's voice is husky, raw and dry.


"I know. I know." Kyungsoo looks into Jongin's eyes and he doesn't mind that they're blue, doesn't mind that Jongin isn't human.


Relieved and caught up in each other, Red Riding Hood and Jongin the Wolf lived happily ever after.


False.


Their tale does not, will not, cannot have a happy ending.


Behind the reunited couple, Yixing uses his remaining strength to rake his long, long lethal nails down Jongin's , tearing half of his enemy. Jongin gasps and slumps to the ground, feeling the whisper of mortality. Red Riding Hood kneels and grips Jongin by the shoulders, dumbfounded and resigned. He will not last long.


"Ha--Heart." He the Wolf lifts a finger, pointing to his left chest. More blood is coughed out. "Heart.. Love... Tha-Thank you, love."


Jongin the Wolf raises a finger over tilted lips before waving goodbye.

 

•   •   •   •



"Who is that?" The newcomer inquires, attention fixed on the man with a red cape.


"Kyungsoo, or Red Riding Hood as most folks call him. Looks like he's on his way to the acacia tree." A friendly villager informs him. "You see, five years past, he loved a Wolf. A shapeshifting creature that was killed by a larger beast. Since the death of his lover, Red Riding Hood goes to the old Acacia tree--the entrance to the forest, if you did not know yet--carrying a basket of sunflowers every sunset. The Wolf is buried there, wrapped in Red Riding Hood's old cape. Young love, young love."


"Oh, that is interesting. Thank you." replies Kai. "It would be better if the Wolf is revived and he is completely human."

 

f  i  n.