Seventeen

My Sweet Devil

Seventeen


Apparently, Ren had been sent to take her to their territory, for whatever reason, the platinum blond would not say. She felt a bit foolish for jumping at the opportunity, her burst of thrill causing Ren to raise a brow. Her sight had to be obscured for secrecy and she didn’t mind, she was more than happy to see those young boys breathing and healing.

When she stepped past a glass door JR was the first to be recognized, his left arm in a sling, his face covered in small bandaids; he was functional, standing casually by a window overlooking their patio. Minhyun seemed to be the fully recovered member, his slim figure up and about, rummaging around the house.
With a huff, Ren led her to a room, the pair skipping by Aron’s as he rested, his breathing even in his deep slumber.

Chaerin practically choked up at the scene of Baekho quietly standing beside his bed, his body heavily patched up, his limbs moving languidly. The fresh youth caught onto her presence and faced her, calling out her name weakly. Their bond surging between them, she went to him, embracing his fatigued state. He relished in her aura, mumbling his thanks.

He whispered his apologies, his remorse hammering his conscience every chance it got. Tearfully, she laughed, smothering him tightly in her hug. “Think nothing of it, you idiot. I’m just glad you’re okay.”

They leaned against each-other, and she prompted him to straighten things out with Aron, the poor guy having beaten himself down repeatedly for unveiling their bloodline trait too soon. Anything resulting after his stupid action, directly, indirectly, he carried unto his shoulders. Chaerin was positive it would crush him entirely if something wasn’t done.

He took a moment to work up the resolve to confront Aron; he wasn’t sure if Aron’s worries and burdens could be placated.

JR expected her, his eyes downcast. This time, he thanked her, his head bowed – she really stuck her neck out for a rowdy bunch of boys she didn’t even know. He was touched, and knew there was good to be found in the hearts of humans. Disgust did not lurk in every person’s heart when faced with the impossible, the unthinkable. Her slight swell of pride died upon his next statement.

“I’m afraid this is the end. We did promise to keep out of your affairs.”

While the words were strung along differently than Suho’s, they meant all the same. He did accept her for her bravery and willingness to help rescue a member of his pack, and that was it. Kind at heart though he was, his position and actions as leader commanded every decision. Refusing to show dismay, she tilted her head, smiled.

“That’s nothing new.”

Gradually, they were cutting her out of their world, piece by piece.

An emptiness carved out a piece of her heart, a hollow feeling she didn’t think would surface after landing herself in this mess – in a way, they were doing her a favor, they were saving her from their travesties.

JR offered the services of his boys to accompany her home, but battling tears, she smoothly refused, and made a mental note to phone Sanghyun and take him up on his offer for drinks whence she arrived home.


“Oh! If you get me that Rilakkuma, I promise I will notify you every time Sandara is set on ditching you for a man that probably wouldn’t make it past your ridiculously high standards!” Chaerin cried, tugging Sanghyun’s arm, her eyes glittering at the doll lined up among the prize section. Sanghyun paused, considered the pros and cons and finally made an attempt at shooting a few hoops for the doll.

Despite his lack of physical strength, his precision scored him the Japanese character, Chaerin’s squeals temporarily deafening him. He hoped it would cheer her, her moping testing his patience, and worrying him simultaneously. His sister was better at livening up the atmosphere, she, however, canceled, probably snagged herself an unworthy bastard to take her out.

The pair found themselves walking down the strip, checking out a few stands as they passed.

“Ah! You thought about Sandara again. You need to let loose, my friend.” Chaerin teased, hugging her Rilakkuma tightly. “You and your sister complex.”

“If she’s hiding him, he is most definitely unworthy of her! My noona deserves a proper gentleman.”

She snorted. “Sanghyun, I love you, I do. But you are too overprotective. She is capable of defending herself, you know?”

He sighed. “Come on, let’s catch a few drinks before we argue over my sister again.”

Sure enough, they chugged a few cold beverages, Sanghyun’s face pink prior to the night fully settling in. Chaerin held onto him and her stuffed animal, a drink somehow balanced in her hand. Her cheeks beamed, her smile reached her eyes, her laughter filtered out the room. He was unaware of his constant laughing, his attention fully enraptured by Chaerin and his drink. Deliberately, he patted her head, and hushed her when she couldn’t seem to decide whether to cry or chuckle.

It was none of his business why she was so down – if he learned anything from his precious older sister, it was that when a female was upset, it was best for her to confront you about it. 

Chaerin realized she really liked him; he was the brother, family, and friend she never had. A man started shouting, drowning out the smooth jazz bouncing around the walls, and she jumped – karaoke. Sanghyun fiercely shook his head. “I don’t think so, Chae.”

Sanghyun.”

He sighed. Women always got what they wanted one way or another.


Successfully out of Sanghyun’s view, she laughed, observing his quirky nature surface as he tried conversing with a very pretty brunette. He would thank her later for giving him that little push he needed. Edging her way outside, she kept her eyes glued on the normally socially awkward turtle, flushed and chirping away. Inattentive, she crashed into a bystander and she was on the verge of apologizing profusely when she discovered she knew this person.

Her name escaped his lips, his bulging eyes trained on her equally bewildered figure. Quickly, he tried to disappear from view, but she clung onto his arm, moving with him. This was a golden opportunity, this was the moment she had been waiting for to present itself and it had. No way was she letting him ditch her.

“Are you okay?” She asked, a scar peeking from the recesses of his undone collars. Her sudden inquiry baffled Yongguk; of all things she could have asked, it was that? A pungent scent rolled off of her in waves and once it hit his nose, he shrugged her off, unconsciously grimacing. Chaerin reeked of the uptight giant he had previously faced off against; it was literally warning him to watch himself around her.

“You need to mind your own business, Chaerin. If I am avoiding you, you shouldn’t be charging in my direction.” He retorted sternly.

“I’ll take that as a ‘yes’.” Completely ignoring his advice, she further questioned him. “Were you or your boys responsible for the condition we found Baekho in? I just can’t accept you would do that to him, to any creature. I may not know you very well, but I sure as hell know you wouldn’t do something so cruel and inhumane.” His comment on having tied down Baekho for good reason rang in her mind loud and clear.

Yongguk evaded her gaze, and answered when she had him by the collar. He denied any involvement in Baekho’s vanquished state, the guy had come to them in his battered form, delirious and soaked in blood. He tried to harm them and cornered his boys onto the fight-zone where they managed to overpower him and tie him down.

They never touched him beyond that.

“I don’t know what the hell he encountered to drive him mad, and beat him less, but we had nothing to do with it. I do know it probably wasn’t very pretty on the eyes.” Relieved, her grip loosened on his shirt, marveling at his pure heart.  

“Thank you.” She replied. “How is your boy feeling? Is he back on his feet?”

Yongguk smiled, flashing his gums, all the while shaking his head. “You’re insane.”

“I’ve heard worse. Is that the best you got?”

She just didn’t know when to quit.

“He’s fine.”