4

Truth or Death

 

Yifan settled down silently in new workplace. The crowd was definitely no welcome sign for him, that he knew. Sighing, he left his items on his desk and organised them silently. 
 
No one bothered to pay him any attention. But not like he really needed it, anyway. A blue file, which stood out from the old, shabby items he had just place on the table lay on his table top. Yifan opened it up.
 
"Work.... Again."
 
The file only contained a single piece of paper, which listed all the things head to do. But even so, it was rather informative, for even dictating all the information he'll need to know to carry out his tasks. 
 
Despite being a law and medicine graduate, Yifan was not one of the lucky ones who could find a decent job in such times. The economy was crippled but the financial crisis. Law firms have closed down, doctors were not welcomed. Hospitals resort to cutting down staff to reduce cost expenses. It was a nightmare for the fresh graduates who have just left their universities. 
 
Finding such an ordinary job was considered a luxury. Furthermore, his pay for this job was surprisingly pretty on par with being a lawyer or doctor of all sorts, so he decided to be a simple office worker in SM Entertainment. 
 
A simple office worker.
 
For a not-so-simple company.
 
-- -- -- -- --
 
"Letter for the court regarding age issues for underage backup dancers..." Yifan mumbled softly while reading off his list of tasks. Bagging a double major in university certainly proved useful, for he knew how to solve problems through the quickest and fastest routes. He walked passed the manager's office, to the storage room which held most of the past records of the company.
 
"USD 500 000"
 
"Make it USD 700 000" 
 
"USD 600 000"
 
Two voices were conversing in the manager's office as he was just outside. No one was around the office. One of the voices was a smooth, soft tenor, belonging to a male. The other was a tinkling, high-pitched soprano, but not exactly a shrill-sounding one. That must be a female, Yifan thought. 
 
So what are they talking about?
 
"Look, I can pay you so much more than you winning this lawsuit. Save our reputation, save some trouble. USD 600 000. No lawyer earns that kind of money from a simple case like this." The woman stated flatly.
 
"I do not intend to save your company face. All this farce has been going on for long enough." The tenor replied.
 
Silence.
 
Yifan was not much of a eavesdropper, but he stood by the door, keeping himself out of sight by the two members in the room currently. Certainly, what sort of situation was this? His curiosity was piqued by this situation.