Water and Fire

Eternal Valor

 

            “Are you going somewhere?” Sungmin was leaning against the doorway and watching Donghae with curious eyes. The latter had spent the whole morning trying to find something suitable for later, and he was currently brushing his hair slowly so that it would look perfect. “It looks like you’re going on a date.” Sungmin laughed, teasingly while Donghae turned beet red.

            “N-No, I’m just going to hang around the stores and see if I like anything.” He smiled innocently and then turned to stare at his reflection in the mirror, “Stop staring at me like that. There is nothing wrong with wanting to look your best.” He beamed and quickly fixed his collar with a sweet smile.

            “I suppose you have a point…” SungMin shrugged, “So what exactly did that Demon do to you to make you believe he’s not as evil as everyone says he is. All demons are evil, Donghae. You have to accept that…it’s important that as the Angel prodigy you understand that he’s your enemy.” He was deeply worried that his brother’s fate would mirror the fate of the last Angel prodigy.

            “SungMin, he didn’t say anything. It’s the fact that he didn’t try to hurt me. You shouldn’t worry so much about this SungMin.” He smiled cheekily, approached his brother and ran his fingers through his hair, “I’ll be fine, and if I do die then you have the right to say ‘I told you so’ on top of my grave.” he laughed while SungMin glared at him. “Well I should get going, I’ll see you later tonight.” He walked off with an excited smile on his face, “Bye Daddy!” he called out to the living room and smiled when Leeteuk yelled a goodbye to him. He walked out of the Mansion and made his way towards the Virtue Forest. He couldn’t ignore the way his heart beat faster by the thought of seeing Hyukjae once again.

            He sat down in the same spot as yesterday and waited patiently for Hyukjae to show up, but in the meantime he played around in the lake by throwing rocks inside. He exhaled and watched the rocks make a small splash in the lake each time he threw one.

            Hyukjae sat beside KyuHyun on his bed, and watched him carefully feeling unprepared for his brother to stop breathing. KyuHyun was breathing deeply, he hadn’t been able to talk but ever since Donghae appeared his speech had suddenly improved, “Don’t go through with it, Hyukjae.” He whispers softly, and slowly opens his eyes. “You know it isn’t right to kill him. The last Demon died of a broken heart after what he did.” He exhaled and shook his head, “He didn’t want to kill him either because he grew fond of the Angel. Don’t make the same mistake.”

            “I have to kill him.” He answered simply, not wanting to talk about what he was planning on doing to the Angel. He gently runs his fingers down KyuHyun’s cheek and smiles sadly. “Don’t sympathize with the weak Angel, KyuHyun. He is nothing like us.”

            KyuHyun inhaled deeply, tears filled his eyes, “He saw something in me…” he whispered, “That I never thought anyone would ever see in a Demon like me.” He closed his eyes, “I felt so close to death, Hyukjae…but as he pressed his hand above my heart it suddenly became painless. His eyes were guiding me to safety. I-I felt at peace for once in my life, and I owe it to him.” He sniffled as he looked up and met Hyukjae’s eyes. “Don’t kill him, Hyukjae, don’t go through with it.” He tried to shake his head but Hyukjae stood from the bed before he could say anything else.

            Hyukjae pecked his head, “I should get going now. I’ll see you later tonight.” He spoke softly, and forced himself not to think about what KyuHyun said. He looked down at the floor, and disappeared from Hades and reappeared into Haven.  

 

 

Hyukjae slowly appeared behind Donghae and the latter quickly turned and grinned before standing up, “Hello…” he felt so nervous being in front of the Demon once again. A part of him thought he had hallucinated ever meeting him, and actually befriending him.

            “Hi.” Hyukjae smiled a bit and approached him with a bit of hesitation, “I didn’t think you would actually meet me here. I was so sure I frightened you.” He teased.

            Donghae beamed and shook his head quickly, “You’re not scary.” He laughed and then stuck out his hand for Hyukjae.

            Hyukaje stared at it for a while and then whispered, “You aren’t afraid of me? You don’t think I will end up killing you…I’m sure that’s what your family told you last night.” He looked into Donghae’s eyes and felt his heart beating oddly at a faster rate as Donghae reached out and grabbed his hand.

            “I’m not afraid of dying.” Donghae admitted, “I’m afraid of losing the chance of having a friend like you; different, but in a good way.” He smiled and squeezed Hyukjae’s hand lightly. Hyukjae gulped dryly and stared at Donghae’s hand on his, “Come on, I’ll show you around,” Donghae beamed and pulled him forward; they walked around the trees.  

            “Aren’t you afraid that someone will see us together?” Hyukjae inquired after a moment of silence. He didn’t know how to feel anymore, he didn’t want to think about what he was planning on doing to Donghae while being so close to him.

            Donghae stopped and grinned cheekily, “I brought you to a tree house.” He chuckled and quickly pulled Hyukjae towards the ladder. “Sungmin and I built it when we were kids, and we haven’t been in here for a while.” They climbed up the latter and sat on the floor, “So tell me about yourself…”

            “What do you want to know?” Hyukjae sat close to Donghae, and felt the Angel’s aroma intoxicating him.

            “Anything.” He insisted, “You can tell me anything about yourself, or anything that’s been on your mind?” he shrugged, unsure of where he was going with this, but he just really needed to hear Hyukjae talk more. There was something about the Demon’s deep voice that made his heart stop.

            “Hmmm.” He thought for a bit and then smiled before he spoke, “Actually there is something I’ve been meaning to ask you. My father, Heechul, taught me how to use my powers at a young age…and when I first met you I got the feeling that you didn’t have much control over your powers considering how much you drenched me.” He cracked a smile at the memory.  

            The latter gulped, “I don’t like violence.” He admitted in a small voice, “I’ve been avoiding training…”

            “But it’s a vital technique you must use in combat or else you’ll be killed.” He looked to the side and quickly smiled, “How about I teach you?” He stared at the Angel and waited for him to respond to his proposition.

            “Are you sure you want to be around water? I don’t want you to feel weak because of me.”  

            “Don’t worry about it. Maybe I’ll become immune to it?” He shrugged and quickly stood, “We should start now.” He helped Donghae up and they went down the ladder and stood on the grass, a few feet away from each other.

            “Are you sure about this?” Donghae felt nervous, he didn’t know how to control himself and he really didn’t want to hurt Hyukjae by accident.

            “I’m sure.” He whispered. I need to see what his weakest points are in battle just in case he decides to fight me back. “Now, focus on your element and hold your hands out with the palms up.”

            He quickly did what he was told and closed his eyes while thinking about the sea; the ocean waves filled his mind and he suddenly felt at peace.

            “Imagine the water at the palm of your hands.” He spoke softly as he watched Donghae’s hands, “Try to make the water as thin as possible, and then try to make it bigger,” he took a step back and watched water appear on top of Donghae’s palm.

            Donghae concentrated hard on the water and tried to imagine it as thin as possible and then as big as the ocean. He bit his lower lip as his head began to hurt while he focused on the shape, and amount.

            “Open your eyes, but stay focused.”

            Donghae opened his eyes and nearly gasped when he sees a huge amount of water circling a few feet above his palms. “Wow.” He whispered and thought about the water turning into a heart and he quickly smiled when the water did as he imagined. “That’s amazing.”

            Hyukjae smiled, “Now I want you to control the movement of the water. I want you to move it closer to me,” he challenged. “To move it, you need to hold out your palm in the direction you want it to go.”  

            Donghae gulped and stared at the water with a bit of hesitation. He moved his palm towards Hyukjae slowly and the water complied and moved closer to the Demon.

            “Now split it.” He said simply, hoping Donghae would understand but the Angel was completely confused. He stared at Hyukjae, and waited for him to explain. “Just watch me, and do what I do.”

            A ball of fire appeared above Donghae’s head, “Watch my hands, and concentrate on what you want to happen.” He raised his hands up in front of him, pressed the back of his hands together and then moved them apart quickly; the fire imitated his actions and split apart. Hyukjae lowered his hands and the fire disappeared, “Your turn.” He smiled and looked up at the water. 

            Donghae nodded, pressed the back of his hands together and focused on what he wanted the water to do; his hands moved apart and the water imitated his hands and split apart. He grinned, “I can’t believe I just did that…” he whispered.

            Hyukjae smiled, “Good job, but we’re not done yet.” His smiled grew and they continued their practice. At first, that’s what their meetings consisted of; helping Donghae improve his ability to control his element, but as the days went by they began to sit down and talk more about each other. Hyukjae was only trying to get information out of the Angel, but everything he told him was useless information. Donghae felt himself growing closer to the Demon, and he was beginning to really admire him while Hyukjae was slowly beginning to forget that he was destined to kill him.

            They sat in front of the lake and watched the water slowly move with the wind, “If you were human…what kind of job would you like to have?” Donghae stared at him with a small smile, “Please tell me I’m not the only one that thinks of this.” He laughs and Hyukjae laughs with him.

            “No, you’re not.” He pursed his lips and then smiled widely, “I’d love to be a dance instructor. Dancing reminds me of the way the elements move, so gracefully and sometimes it can be rough but it’s always your choice.” He stares at Donghae, “What about you?”

            Donghae was smiling widely, his heart was beating faster by how close they sat together, “I…” he felt embarrassed but forced himself to say it, “I really want to be a teacher for little kids.” He smiled while staring into Hyukjae’s eyes, “Can you imagine watching over little humans?” he laughed and Hyukjae couldn’t help but smile with him.

            “I think that job would be perfect for you.” He teased and then rested his head on Donghae’s shoulders. Donghae smiled warmly and rested his head on Hyukjae’s head while listening closely to the way the Demon breathed. He knew there was something wrong by the way he was breathing.

            “Are you ok?” he asked in a small voice.

“KyuHyun is expected to die tonight.” He whispered.

            Donghae thought for a while and then quickly smiled, “Before, I was only able to treat small wounds because I had no control over a large amount of water, but thanks to you…I think I can cure him.”

            Hyukjae lifted his head and stared at the Angel with wide eyes, “Water is his weakness so his death could be accelerated as well.” He paused for a moment and then shook his head, “He’ll die either way, so I’m willing to take that risk.”

            Donghae nodded, reached out and held Hyukjae’s hand tightly, “Let’s go before it’s too late.” The Demon nodded and they disappeared from Haven and appeared before the black Mansion. Hyukjae pulled him inside and into KyuHyun’s room.

            KyuHyun stared at them with half lidded eyes, he groaned from the pain he felt in his chest, “W-What are you…” he was too weak to speak, and he fell silent when the Angel took his hand. He gulped dryly and stared into Donghae’s light brown eyes.

            “This may hurt.” Donghae whispered as he leaned closer and placed his other hand on KyuHyun’s forehead. “Just close your eyes.” He smiled when KyuHyun did what he was told, “Hyukjae, I’m going to need you to set his heart on fire once the water appears…it’ll keep his heart beating.” He nodded and Hyukjae stood on the other side of the bed with his hand on top of KyuHyun’s chest; he gripped on his brother’s chest tightly.  

            Donghae concentrated on his element, and briefly water appeared above KyuHyun, circling around gently, nearly glowing before their eyes. It slowly dipped onto KyuHyun’s horns, and disappeared inside as it traveled all around his body to get rid of the disease that was causing his death.

            Hyukjae squeezed tightly on KyuHyun’s chest and forced the fire to circle his heart. KyuHyun cried out in agony and gripped onto the bed sheets, but he kept his eyes shut tightly and remained still while the water burned him inside. “Just breathe.” Donghae whispers gently, and KyuHyun quickly complies when he feels the Angel squeezing his hand.

            The burning feeling left KyuHyun numb and his body feeble, and quivering for strength. He was panting heavily, as cold sweat dripped from his forehead and as he looked up at the ceiling everything turned black. His heart beat slowed down and he exhaled deeply and fell into a peaceful sleep.

            Donghae focused on the water and forced it to disappear once it was done circling KyuHyun completely. He removes Hyukjae’s hand from Kyuhyun’s chest and slowly backs away while breathing unsteadily, “He’ll be fine he just needs to rest.” He exhales deeply, looks down at his feet and smiles widely when he realizes he just saved someone’s life.

             The Demon watched his brother sleep peacefully for the first time in years, and watched as every breath he took sounded so full of life. He ran his fingers through KyuHyun’s hair and smiled to himself, “I can’t believe it.” He listened carefully to the way KyuHyun’s heart was beating at a normal rate. He slowly approaches Donghae and they teleport back into Virtue Forest with a small silence between them.

            Hyukjae slowly approaches Donghae while looking into his light brown eyes. The Angel felt his heart palpitating in his chest by the way the Demon looked at him, “H-Hy-” he began but fell silent when Hyukjae pulled him into a tight embrace. He smiled softly, but was too shocked to react right away so after a few moments he wraps his arms around the Demon and embraces him tightly. He buried his head on the elder’s chest and stood comfortably in his arms; he wanted to say something, but decided to wait until Hyukjae was ready.

            Hyukjae’s hand cupped the back of Donghae’s head while his other arm was securely around his waist. He breathed deeply, trying to force himself to stop shaking as he held the Angel in his arms, “Thank you.” He whispered softly and gently nuzzled his nose to Donghae’s head, “How could I ever repay you?”

            His heart beat faster, and he felt a weird sensation in his stomach by the way Hyukjae held him. His cheeks turned scarlet red so he quickly hid his face and whispered, “You don’t owe me anything, Hyukjae…” and he meant it. He closed his eyes and unconsciously inhaled Hyukjae’s scent; he smiled a bit and enjoyed the blissful moment.

 

 

            Donghae was lost in his thoughts, completely oblivious to his surroundings as he made his way into the Mansion. He hugged himself and smiled lightly while remembering Hyukjae’s arms around him. He stared in front of him lost in space as his smile grew wider.

            “Donghae?” SungMin made his way down the stairs and watched his brother with suspicious eyes, “Where have you been? You’ve been acting strange for the past couple of weeks…is something going on?” he approached him and frowned when he noticed Donghae was blushing and smiling happily.

            “No, nothing is going on.” He whispered and made his way towards the stairs; he sat down on the first step and chewed on his lower lip, “Sungmin, do you believe in love?” he looked up and stared at his brother with a small smile.

            Sungmin sits beside him and grins, “Well of course I do. I mean, I love you don’t I?” he beams but then frowns, “Wait…why do you ask?” His eyes widen when he notices Donghae become nervous, “Lee Donghae do you have a crush on someone and you haven’t told me yet?” he gasped and shook the latter, “I demand you to tell me every detail!”

            “No SungMin, I was just asking for your opinion. I’ve just been wondering if I will ever find someone for me.” He smiled gently and stared at his feet while thinking about Hyukjae and the way his heart would beat faster when he was near him. He rested his head on SungMin’s shoulder and hugged himself tightly, “I wish I was born human, things would be much simpler that way.” Hyukjae and I wouldn’t have been born enemies if I was human…and I wouldn’t feel so guilty when I’m around him. I wouldn’t have to deny my feelings for him so much.

            SungMin snorted before wrapping his arms around Donghae, “You’ll find someone for you Donghae. Your soul mate is around here somewhere.” He smiled cheekily and pecked the latter’s head sweetly, “When you meet that person, you’ll know.”

            Donghae smiled widely while remembering the way Hyukjae stared into his eyes. He closed his eyes and imagined he was in the Demon’s arms once again, and nothing else mattered.

 

           

            Kyuhyun stood before his bed, in complete awe as he continuously stared at his reflection in the mirror, “This is…unbelievable…” he whispers and laughed lightly as he watched Hyukjae make his way into the room. He turned and stared at the elder with a huge smile, “I never thought this day would come.” He smiled widely and approached Hyukjae slowly.

            Hyukjae stood near the door frame and watched KyuHyun in amazement; its been so long since the last time he could stand on his feet. His smile nearly touched his eyes as he pulled KyuHyun into a warm embrace, “I never thought it would either.” Heechul slowly made his way into the room and he stared at KyuHyun with a small smile.

            “Don’t tell me the Angel has something to do with this.” Heechul leaned his back against the wall and stared at them with a small smirk.

            “Actually he does.” KyuHyun smiled widely while he pulled away from the hug; they stared at Heechul. “I don’t know how I could ever repay him for what he did for me.”

            “I suggest killing him painlessly, but that’s just a thought.” Heechul turned and stared at Hyukjae, “You haven’t informed me with what’s been going on between you two. Don’t tell me you’re growing soft for the Angel, Hyukjae, because if you are then there is a special place in Hades for you.” He glared into the prodigy’s eyes and smirked widely, “He’ll be your death unless you get rid of him before he seduces you.” He said simply and slowly made his way out of the room.

            “Don’t listen to him, Hyukjae.”

            Hyukjae sat on KyuHyun’s bed and exhaled deeply “I don’t know what I’m doing anymore, KyuHyun.” He whispered, “I can’t disappoint this family...but I-…I don’t think I’ll be able to kill Donghae either.” He stared in front of him, lost in his thoughts. “Maybe I should just stop seeing him and avoid him completely.”

            KyuHyun chewed on his lower lip, “Well, whatever you decide I’m sure it’ll be a good decision.” He smiled lightly.

            “KyuHyun…”

            “Hmm?”

            “I can’t stop thinking about him.” He whispered and shut his eyes tightly and tried to shake the image of the smiling angel out of his head, “I know I shouldn’t say this, but…I can’t get that Angel out of my head.” He pictured Donghae’s soft smile and couldn’t help but yearn to hold him once again. 

            KyuHyun smiled a bit and sat beside Hyukjae. He kept quiet and smiled to himself while Hyukjae tried to figure out what to do next.