The Ragged Boy

A Werewolf Boy

Walking down the hallway back into the dining room, he could hear strange growls from the outside window that was left open. The breeze carried in soft sounds of wimpers and howls. What could that be? Kyungsoo's head shifted towards the direction of the window, lifting his leg slowly to walk towards the noise.

"Kyungsoo? There's still a lot of food left! Come have some more!" Kyungsoo suddenly jerked back and nodded, taking light steps to his spot at the table.

-

The night turned brisk dark. Stars elicting the sky with hot white sparkles. Two of his eyes were open, restless from the unpleasant move. Kyungsoo sighed heavily and wiped the itch from his nose.

"This is ridiculous. Why can't I sleep?" Again, a strange howl echoed through his room. "Again?" He rotated his head toward the window. "Ugh. Must be the neighbor's dog." Kyungsoo blinked and there outside his window in front of him was a silhouette, a defined shape of a grown man. A shock of fear stopped his breathing for a while and left him running out of his room and into his brother's.

"Yah, Yah! Baekhyun!" His brother scratched his stomach with his shirt pulled up, above his s. His legs lay lazily on the futon and began to wiggle as Kyungsoo shook his arm.

"What is it Kyungsoo? I'm tired."

"Yah, there's something outside of my window. What if it's a burgular! Didn't you hear anything?" Silence created the cold atmosphere. Baekyun with his eyes still shut tight in thin slits, popped up.

"MOM, KYUNGSOO'S BOTHERING ME AND SPOUTING OUT NONSENSE." Speechless, Kyungsoo sat there with his dropped jaw on the floor. He couldn't believe that his brother did not believe him, but then again who would believe that a human would make animal noises in the middle of the night.

-

It was 7am and the sunlight wasbreaking through the grey clouds. Boxes and boxes of moving materials were still scattered on the dusty road with rocks covering almost half of them flat. Kyungsoo swished his arm across his face, coughing out a sigh as he glanced at the boxes. The wind blew in between the blankets and quilts as his mother clipped them up to the clothing line. A flash of white shined through the darkness of the wooden boards in front of the shed.

WIth quivering lips, Kyungsoo pinched his mother.

"Mom... look, there's something strange over there."

With disbelief in her eyes, his mother turned around and gasped.

"Yah, Kyungsoo stay behind me..." Taking two steps towards the right, his mother grabbed the basket full with steamed potatos. "Are you hungry? D-Do you want this?" She tossed the peeled food on the ground as quickly as possible and with one whiff, the boy-like-animal attacked with his teeth into the soft potato. "Kyungsoo-ah, call the neighbors and the police."