Showdown

NeukDae - Wolf Boy

Jiyong opened the door just enough to squeeze through it, shutting it tightly behind him. He couldn't risk anyone finding out about Daesung, that could end badly for all parties. Jiyong bumped into whoever it was as he slammed the door shut. He didn't budge so Jiyong was pressed tightly between him and the door. Before he even looked up, his stomach curled up into a knot as he realized who it was. He would recognize that smell anywhere, it was Seunghyun! Ah, the phone call. Jiyong knew he would go crazy since he didn't answer. Why did the phone have to drown at such an inconvenient moment?

Being so close to him, Jiyong's heart beat faster. He'd always had a little problem with close proximity when it came to Seunghyun. He was so attracted to him that it was hard to play it cool, to make sure Seunghyun wouldn't notice anything. Jiyong pushed his up against the door as hard as he could, he needed a bit of a wiggle room between them in that area, or else Seunghyun would be in for a big surprise. His smell filled Jiyong's nose. He always smelled so good, his cologne matching perfectly with his body odor. Jiyong was staring straight at his chest, he hadn't dared look up to find out just how mad he was.

Seunghyun was wearing a neat blue suit that matched the color of his skin. He had probably been on a date with his girlfriend. Jiyong got a pang in his heart when he thought about them together. Normally Seunghyun's girlfriends didn't last that long, he usually got tired after a couple of weeks and called it quits, already having another one lined up. There had been a few that had lasted a month, maybe two. However, this one had survived for six months already. Jiyong wasn't sure, but it had to be some kind of a record. A record that made Jiyong's heart ache and caused him to lose his appetite. Jiyong was starting to doubt that they would ever break up. Maybe Seunghyun had found his one, maybe he would end up settling down and having a family. The thought almost brought Jiyong to tears. A family that he wouldn't be a part of, he had no place in that family. Jiyong felt as if he was slowly losing him, his everything, and it hurt something awful.

 

“Why didn't you answer your phone?!” Seunghyun began, furious. Jiyong still hadn't looked up. He saw his chest go up and down as he spoke. The first two buttons of his shirt were left ed, oh he was such a player. Baiting every girl in the vicinity, and most of them took the bait without thinking twice about it. Jiyong had gotten caught in the crossfire, swallowing the bait right from the get-go and now he was hooked for life, letting Seunghyun dictate most of the terms of their relationship. He hated how submissive he was. He had tried to fight it on numerous occasions, sometimes leading to huge fights, but in the end Seunghyun knew exactly what to do to make Jiyong swoon all over him, giving in or forgiving him, or both. Jiyong wouldn't mind it so much if he could be with him. But Seunghyun didn't swing that way and there was nothing he could do about it. Seunghyun was born straight and the only thing Jiyong could do was accept it. But how was he supposed to accept it when it hurt so much?

“You know I HATE it when you don't answer your phone! How was I supposed to know you were alright and not dying in a ditch somewhere?!?” Seunghyun was not letting this go, he sounded really pissed. He didn't get angry very often, but when he did, he was scary. “I know.” Jiyong said guiltily, still not daring to look him in the eye. “Wait, why are you blocking the door? Do you... do you have a girl in there? Is THAT why you didn't answer the phone?!” Seunghyun was intrigued. Jiyong looked up, Seunghyun was smirking. His handsomeness took Jiyong's breath away every time he looked at him. How could someone be so beautiful? It was unfair for the rest of the world.

Jiyong's stomach churned. Seunghyun was eyeing the door. . He was in trouble. He couldn't let Seunghyun find out about Daesung. He wouldn't understand and there was just too much to explain. “He he... no..” Jiyong had meant to sound convincing, but had to settle for awkward and suspicious. “Aaaa don't think I can't spot when you're lying, you get all cute and awkward, just like now!” Seunghyun had forgotten all about his rage and was smiling mischievously. “My Ji finally taking a page out of my book, exercising his player muscles a bit.. this I have to see!!” Seunghyun chuckled, nudging Jiyong away from the door. “Wow, after all this time, I don't even know your type. That's something almost brothers are supposed to know about each other.” Seunghyun looked a bit disappointed in himself. He pushed Jiyong harder, but Jiyong resisted, determined to protect that door with his life.

“Wha.. seriously... are you embarrassed? Why don't you want me to see her? Aww, she isn't much of a looker, huh? Don't worry, I won't judge.” Seunghyun snorted, resorting to pinching Jiyong to get him to budge. “Please.. hyung...” Jiyong pleaded, working the puppy eyes with all he had. “Oh come on. The puppy eyes? Really? She's that ugly? Or.. she's ?!” Seunghyun got extra strength at the thought, managing to pull Jiyong away from the door long enough to be able to turn the doorknob. Seunghyun threw the door open with the biggest 'BUSTED!'-face ever, only to freeze in his tracks. Daesung went absolutely mental, barking and growling like there was no tomorrow. He came running towards the door, using all the wolf scare tactics in the book, completely with Jiyong's boxers hanging around one of his ankles.

 

Right before Daesung reached the door, Seunghyun jumped out and slammed the door in Daesung's face. They could still hear Daesung's growling on the other side, he was scratching at the door. Seunghyun was white as snow, his face ghost-like. It took a second for him to gather his senses. “Whaaat...?” Seunghyun was one question mark, apparently not knowing what he should make of this strange situation. “Okay, okay, I know how it looks.. or.. ehm.. not really.. he he...” Jiyong smiled sheepishly, trying to defuse the situation. “I found him injured in the woods on one of my walks, he appears to be completely wild and he behaves kind of like a dog or a wolf or something, so he doesn't know any better. My guess is that he's one of those wolf boys, you know? The ones that are left as babies and a pack of wolfs take them in and raise them as their own. It's actually quite fascinating.” Jiyong rambled on, scared to stop talking and give Seunghyun a chance to react.

“Okay... but WHY is he in your living room?!?” Seunghyun's anger had returned. “I know you would've never been able to live with yourself if you had left him out there to die, but why didn't you call whomever it is that you call in such a situation?!” Seunghyun stared at him with piercing eyes, not happy at all. “I..” Jiyong started, but was interrupted. “I'll just call right now!” Seunghyun fumbled around for his phone. “No!! Don't!” Jiyong shouted, panicking. “Why the hell not?! You don't seem to be comprehending the situation very well. There is a WILD WOLF in your living room, do you have a death wish?!?” Seunghyun was absolutely livid. “He's.. he's not always like that. You don't understand. If the authorities were to catch him, he would be poked and prodded, treated like a subject in an experiment and eventually end up in the system. The system, Seunghyun!!” Jiyong stood up to him, getting angry as well. Seunghyun knew what it was like to be put into the system, Jiyong wouldn't wish it upon anyone, not even his greatest enemy. The system was where souls got lost and broken. Jiyong didn't want that to happen to that wonderfully cheerful and vivacious boy in there. He was so innocent. Jiyong wanted to protect that. Jiyong had seen the darker side of life, he didn't want to expose Daesung to it unnecessarily.

“So.. I mean, if you have nowhere to go, the system is the only alternative, it's not pretty but that's reality. How is it better that you risk your life for this boy you've known for all of two seconds? You have no idea what he's capable of, he's wild. Wild animals kill for food! They attack when they feel threatened. You don't even know what could trigger an episode with him. Besides, what are you going to do with him? Just be out here forever, taking care of him? Is that the life you want?! Why does it have to be you?” Seunghyun was beyond irritated, he clearly thought Jiyong was behaving irrationally. “Someone has to do it! It's not like I asked for this. Like oh please give me my very own wolf boy to take care of... what the hell! Sometimes you just have to do the right thing, whether you like it or not. Like when you took me under your protective wing, I bet it wasn't what you wished for either, to have some little scrawny kid following you around all the time, pestering you to play with him. But you changed my life, you gave me a chance in life and for that I will be forever thankful. I just... want to repay my debt.” Jiyong's voice was almost inaudible at the end.

“Really! Are you really going to make that comparison?!” Seunghyun sounded slightly hurt. “First of all, your debt, if you want to call it that, is to ME, not that 'thing' in there. And I was never endangering my life taking care of you, and I was alone with nothing to lose.” Seunghyun said, forcing his voice to sound calm. “I'm alone too and I have nothing to lose either.” Jiyong responded honestly. He shouldn't have said that. The moment he let go of the last word, Seunghyun's head all but exploded. “You are NOT alone!!! Where would you even get that idea?! You have me, don't you?!!” Seunghyun's voice squeaked as he shouted, he was clearly hurt. But their conversation had touched a nerve in Jiyong and he couldn't help but get caught up in the moment, all his worries washing over him. “Yeah, but for how long?! I already see you next to never, how will it be when you and that Hyorin finally decide to tie the knot? One compulsory visit a year and a phone call at Christmas? Or no, of course you won't have time at Christmas to hang on the phone because you're too busy opening all the pretty presents with your bus full of kids, too happy to even remember my name!!” Jiyong was shaking, a tear escaping down his cheek even though he had told it not to.

Seunghyun stared at him for a moment, stunned. Jiyong didn't regret it. He hadn't planned on spilling his guts like that, it was an accident, it had just burst out of him like it had wanted to escape the agony inside of him. But it had been time, it had been festering inside of him for a while now. “Is that what you think?” Seunghyun's voice was quiet, scary quiet. He almost looked like he too was about to cry, but Jiyong doubted it. He had never seen him cry. Seunghyun was the strongest person he knew, he was solid rock through and through. Seunghyun's expression suddenly hardened. “I don't care what you say, I'm reporting him. I know you can't see it now, but it's for the best.” Seunghyun raised his phone, but on impulse Jiyong grabbed it out of his hands and threw it to the ground with as much force as he could muster. The phone broke into a million pieces as it hit the gravel beneath them. Seunghyun's jaw dropped. “What's gotten into you man!?! FINE! If you have that big of a death wish, you can just dig your own grave for all I care! Don't come crying to me when it all goes south and don't say I didn't try to save you!!” Seunghyun was breathing heavily, trembling with anger. He bent down to pick up the part of his phone that had his SIM-card, storming away in a huff.

 

Jiyong slipped inside, a complete mess. He couldn't believe what had just happened. They had argued in the past, but never like this. And never ever had they left it so bitter between them. In the end one of them always caved, usually Jiyong but if Jiyong was very adamant about it, Seunghyun normally gave up and let him have his way. Had they just.. 'broken up'? Was their special relationship not stronger than this? Jiyong felt awful, like he had just lost his entire reason for being. Daesung greeted him happily, wiggling his behind. He was probably proud of himself for having protected their home so gallantly. Jiyong ruffled Daesung's hair with a weak hand, tears flowing.